Pitchers: What do you throw?

fundusglobus

Im a eighth grader. Gonna try to play for my high school team but prolly wont pitch. I throw my curves right and dont put hardly and tourque on them at all. Im about 5-8, 145. Not a big kid at all but my legs are beastly from running 5miles, 4days a week over the winter.

1. 4Seamer- gets from 70 to 75

2. 2Seamer- Nasty movement, not a lot of control 68-70

3. LongCurve- Big and loopy, sort of like Zitos hook 60-64

4. HardCurve- Sharp Late movement, no control hardly 69-71

5. Change- This is nasty comes in on righties, can throw for strikes 45-50

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My list is long. I throw a lot, with varying degrees of success. In order of effectiveness in general, I have:

2-seam fastball

Splitter

Slider

Curveball

4-seam fastball

Three-finger style changeup, but held further back

Sinker

Cutter

I also throw something I'm working on now and I don't even know what it is. I guess it's a bit like a palmball, but with more spin. Imagine a palmball or knuckleball with the tumbling downward spin of a curveball.

2-seamer 84 mph (out pitch with full count)

4-seamer 78 mph(used to get strikes)

split (out pitch)

slurve (i use as a change, not alot of movement, mainly used on lefty's)

knucklecurve (only when a starter)

im used as a reliever but when if start ill throw in the knucklecurve once in a while

I play for an independant adult's baseball league. I throw pretty hard compared to the other pitchers.

4 Seam Fastball-No movement at all. Just straight, and hard

2 Seam Fastball-Not that good. It sinks a little, and it's not that fast

Sinker- My best pitch. Breaks down and away from right hand hitters. That's my strikeout pitch. It doesn't fail me much

Splitter- Breaks parallel to the ground, but I have MAJOR problems controlling it, and in a lot of cases, it rolls away from the catcher

Slider- 9-3 trajectory. It has pretty good movement.

Changeup- Has no movement on it, but I can get it at least 15 mph slower than my four seamer.

I'm 17 and I've just started toying around with hard stuff and breaking balls. I'm 6'3 155 pounds. I can throw though.

4-Seam Fastball: Tops at about 83-85 last time I played around with a radar gun. Just a basic heater, no movement.

3 Finger Change: My variation of a changeup, takes up more space and slows it down. It hits about 65-67 at most and dips down at the end.

Slider: Quite tricky, since I throw it with a three-quarter delivery (compared to my completely over the top motion) and it cuts hard from right to left over the plate. 71-73 since I put some oomph in it.

Splitter: Just started this one out, not much control, not too fast either. I'm lucky to hit 60 with it and it just dances low and away. Wouldn't use it too much.

My motion is unlike any others. I start out like a bit of a Andy Pettite with the over the head delivery and kick my leg up. But I end with my glove hand coming down like and an axe followed by the pitch so it's a type of toppeling or windmill motion. Like literally, "over the top". You have to remember, I'm tall and skinny. Anything to get me the advantage without throwing hard as hell and throwing out my arm, anything advantagious, I'm on it.

I got 4 pitches

4-Seam: Its about 68, its doesnt' move at all

2-Seam: About 60, it isn't that fast, but it moves

Slider: About 60 at best, moves a lot though, its my strikeout pitch

Changeup: 50 Mph, Its got a good bit of sink in it

Well, the pitches aren't that great, though i like to think my slider is, i got a deceptive delivery though

Guys,

I gotta tell ya...speaking as a HS Pitching Coach (also played on college level) for the last 10 years and with a Kinesiology background, DO NOT throw anything other than a fastball and change until you're 15 or 16.

to be successful at the HS level all you need is command of those 2 pitches. Using those two and good mechanics and moving the ball in and out, up and down in the zone...and using change of speed will do the trick against 90% of all HS hitters.

I shake my head every time i go watch a little league game or watch our Freshman games and see pitchers trying to emulate their MLB heroes with awkward, wild mecahnics and trying to throw 4,5, 6 different pitches. Walk after walk after walk....or ball after ball then FB down the pipe and ripped for a double.

Lastly, most importantly, you are at a higher risk of rotator cuff or elbow tendinitis injuries if you start to throw "junk" before you're 14 or 15. Your arms just aren't ready yet. Yes, you're probably striking guys out on your "huge curve" you think you have developed. But, you'd be just as succesful if you threw off-speed with changeups instead.

an example: there's a kid in our league in so. Cal a year ago who had 2 pitches and rarely used a slider when he was a senior. he went 12-1 with an ERA under 1.5. struck out around 10 a game. We faced him 2 times and I can cound on one hand how many breaking balls he threw. The rest were fastballs and changeups. We got 2 hits in one game and 3 in another. shut us out once and we scored 1 run in the other. and we went to the CIF semi-finals that year with our best team in years. but that's all he needed...a fastball and changeup. he walked ONE batter! The sign of a true pitcher. Didn't need anything else at this level.

Oh, his name? You may have heard about him... the Yankees drafted him # 1... Phil Hughes from Foothill HS.

rely on mechanics and control...the FB and change... and you'll be ready for the others when you're a senior or in college.

Guys,

I gotta tell ya...speaking as a HS Pitching Coach (also played on college level) for the last 10 years and with a Kinesiology background, DO NOT throw anything other than a fastball and change until you're 15 or 16.

to be successful at the HS level all you need is command of those 2 pitches. Using those two and good mechanics and moving the ball in and out, up and down in the zone...and using change of speed will do the trick against 90% of all HS hitters.

I shake my head every time i go watch a little league game or watch our Freshman games and see pitchers trying to emulate their MLB heroes with awkward, wild mecahnics and trying to throw 4,5, 6 different pitches. Walk after walk after walk....or ball after ball then FB down the pipe and ripped for a double.

Lastly, most importantly, you are at a higher risk of rotator cuff or elbow tendinitis injuries if you start to throw "junk" before you're 14 or 15. Your arms just aren't ready yet. Yes, you're probably striking guys out on your "huge curve" you think you have developed. But, you'd be just as succesful if you threw off-speed with changeups instead.

an example: there's a kid in our league in so. Cal a year ago who had 2 pitches and rarely used a slider when he was a senior. he went 12-1 with an ERA under 1.5. struck out around 10 a game. We faced him 2 times and I can cound on one hand how many breaking balls he threw. The rest were fastballs and changeups. We got 2 hits in one game and 3 in another. shut us out once and we scored 1 run in the other. and we went to the CIF semi-finals that year with our best team in years. but that's all he needed...a fastball and changeup. he walked ONE batter! The sign of a true pitcher. Didn't need anything else at this level.

Oh, his name? You may have heard about him... the Yankees drafted him # 1... Phil Hughes from Foothill HS.

rely on mechanics and control...the FB and change... and you'll be ready for the others when you're a senior or in college.

I must say that I totally agree. I do throw a curve, but mechanics come first. The difference in my two curves is only the grip. My arm angle never changes. My change up is probably my best pitch because I decided not to go with strike outs or doubles but weak grounders. Kids hit the change off of the end of the bat all of the time because of the 20MPH difference in my 4 seam and my change.

Listen to this guy, he knows what hes saying.

Im 18. 6'0 180.

4 Seamer- 85-91 with some movement.

2 seamer- 85-91 is just as hard as the 4 seamer with more movement usually slower but not much.

Cutter- 80-83ish lots of movement.

Star change- no movement, just a regular change.

Palmball- drops off of a table lots of movement.

Curve- Zito style curve. I throw it right at the shoulder of a right handed hitter and try to break it outside corner.

Knucklecurve- straight 12-6. Harder I throw it=sharper break.

Splitfinger- low 80s/upper 70s. Sharp break at the end.

Im 18. 6'0 180.

4 Seamer- 85-91 with some movement.

2 seamer- 85-91 is just as hard as the 4 seamer with more movement usually slower but not much.

Cutter- 80-83ish lots of movement.

Star change- no movement, just a regular change.

Palmball- drops off of a table lots of movement.

Curve- Zito style curve. I throw it right at the shoulder of a right handed hitter and try to break it outside corner.

Knucklecurve- straight 12-6. Harder I throw it=sharper break.

Splitfinger- low 80s/upper 70s. Sharp break at the end.

Where you going to college?

Guys,

Excellent post. Nice job.

First year of organized ball AA Bantam (Im in Canada)

4seam -pretty slow- 55-65 mph

slider -hard break 50 mph

sinker -drops 1-2 1/2 ft- apx 50mph

curve - not much curve- 43 mph tops so far

change - good apx 45 mph

knuckleball- good dances like mad ,never been clocked. too slow

I LOVE PITCHING MY SLIDER!

4 Seam FB- around 80 MPH

2 Seam FB- around 76 MPH, wicked cutting action

Curveball- around 70 MPH, sharp breaking, looks normal until right infront of the plate

Knuckle Changeup- aroudn 60 MPH, nastiest pitch ever, drops off the table and moves all over the place. I don't have that much control of it but if u would like to learn how to throw it i will tell you.

I agree completeltly with agentq16, I pitch using his philosophy except I have several pitches but they are all from fastball motion!! I have a simple compact motion with almost no arm movement until i have started my stride. As for pitches I throw I am 15 lefty 6-1 180 and I throw

4 seam Between 68-74

2 Seam about the same maybe 1 or 2 mph slower

Cutter which is really just a reversed 2 seam grip 65-68

3 Different variations on a circle change:

1. Breaks straight down but not very sharp, more like a big loopy curve 50-55

2. Regular circle change breaks down and in on rightys 55-58

3. Breaks straight sideways, good on leftys 58-60

Of those three i throw mostly number two which is my out pitch the other two are trick pitches.

Not a serious pitcher, I play OF, but in emergency I throw

1. Fastball

2. A really slow curve that moves a ton but is hard to control

3. Changeup that I have horrible command of

I just usually concentrate on placing my fastball :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

6-0 183 Throw: Right Bats: Switch

18 years old

4 Seam Fastball: Straight from 75 to 80 mph.

Cut-Fastball: i use this pitch only against lefties it darts like a slider, i get a lot of broken bats, from 75 to 80 mph.

Curveball: my out pitch, it breaks away from righties and in from lefties nasty movement from 65 to 68 mph. i get a lot of K´s with this pitch.

knuckle-curve: 12 to 6 movement from 60 to 64.

Circle Change: it acts like a 2 seam fastball, i keep the same arm angle and arm speed as of my fastball. also a lot of K´s with this one, from 65 to 70 mph.

6'1 210 (yeah, i'm big lol)

17 y.o.

4 seamer: 78-82 MPH

cutter: 75 mph, cuts in on lefties a good bit, it's like a slider but with cutter grip and speed.

changeup: by far my best pitch. down and in on righties, and it's a healthy 10 MPH or so less than my fastball.

I don't pitch to seriously, but when called upon, I LIGHT UP THE DIAMOND :)

jk, 10-8 K-BB rate this year :lol:

I rarely pitch. Usually only when the starter sucks the first two innings and they need someone before we go to a reliver (although my coaches dont realize im like a closer that can only gve you onw good inning) All I throw is a fastball and change. I rarely use the change because most kids dont catch up to the fastaball. Its also nasty on lefties cause it cuts in like a cutter (but the strange part is is that i hold it exactly as you would when throwing a four seamer). Right now im able to get away with just throwing hard inside is because im not in HS yet (but will be in september!! woot WooT!!) and the fact is.....they cant catch up to it. WHy would I fool aroung tryign to learn a curve when kids dont even catch up to my fastball. I only throw the change when batters keep on fouling the fastaball off. But it doesnt really matter to me......im not a pitcher. I just go throw the ball.