The Official MVPSavReader Thread

Trues

When I put the path in the .ini file, do I want to put the exact file path in there or the folder it's located in? I keep getting "Run Time Error '76' Path Not Found" messages, even though I know I put the path location of the file in the .ini file.

full path, including file name. So if your file is in the default directory, it should look something like this "C:Documents and SettingsNAMEMy DocumentsMVP Baseball 2005Name_Of_Dynasty.sav"

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got the logos to appear, as for players pics I can't get it to work, when I right click where the player pics is supose to be instead of one address it comes up as web address but appears twice so it could be bug that needs to be fixed

When I put the path in the .ini file, do I want to put the exact file path in there or the folder it's located in? I keep getting "Run Time Error '76' Path Not Found" messages, even though I know I put the path location of the file in the .ini file.

Never mind what I said here, finally got it to work! Works great, I love this! Great job! :D

Ok, got the pics and logos to work. Anyone know where I can get some good pics at 90x135?

That is the format size ootp uses. Check the face packs section here. I recommend Draft Dodger's 2005 set.

how did you get the player pics and logos to work ?

You have to (and this might be the long way) go to the players page (without pics or logos) and copy that "image address" that the error box gives you. Paste that address into the .ini file under PlayerPics.

It should look like this: PlayerPics=file://localhost/c:/Program%20Files/MVPSavReader/PlayerPics/

Of course you have to create a PlayerPics folder, and name the player LastName_FirstName.jpg

Create a Logos folder with OAK, STL, LAD (whatever team) .gif. inside that folder.

Logos should look like this in the .ini file:

Logos=file://localhost/c:/Program%20Files/MVPSavReader/Logos/

Anyway, I am still fumbling my way through this, hopefully we can help each other along the way.

What a cool program. :)

i create the html pages for my teams.

i goto the folder and click on the html and it brings up internet exployer but the html page has a white background and the links is very dark blue. its hard to read.

all the teams pages look like this and dont show there team color.

First impressions:

There is quite a bit of wasted space on the form and it looks quite ugly on 800x600, not only because it takes up a lot of screen space, but also because it actually opens with the bottom of the program behind the taskbar and it has to be dragged up. I think if the form was increased to a full-screen base, it would use the space a little better, would give you more freedom to place items and would look better in the end.

The output pages don't like Firefox. At all. In IE, they look fine, just like the ESPN.com pages, but in Firefox, they take on a mind of their own and none of the links work.

The set-up procedure is quite tedious. Setting locations of .sav files in a .ini file? Why not create a "Browse" button on the main form, then when the user selects the file they want to use, code the program to then write the location of that file to the the .ini file? Also, maybe this one was just me, but it simply refused to open my dynasty file when I set the location of the file in the .ini file to the actual .sav file generated by MVP, but when the .sav file is renamed to testpcd.sav and placed in the working folder, it works. Quite crazy. Maybe it was the spaces in the file name.

You could probably do a bit of coding to reduce the occurence of run-time errors. A message box trapping the error and allowing the program to continue would be a lot nicer than a VB-induced error that closes the program.

That said though, the fact that the program actually exists is great and from what I've seen, works quite well. Nice job, Rich!

First impressions:

There is quite a bit of wasted space on the form and it looks quite ugly on 800x600, not only because it takes up a lot of screen space, but also because it actually opens with the bottom of the program behind the taskbar and it has to be dragged up. I think if the form was increased to a full-screen base, it would use the space a little better, would give you more freedom to place items and would look better in the end.

The output pages don't like Firefox. At all. In IE, they look fine, just like the ESPN.com pages, but in Firefox, they take on a mind of their own and none of the links work.

The set-up procedure is quite tedious. Setting locations of .sav files in a .ini file? Why not create a "Browse" button on the main form, then when the user selects the file they want to use, code the program to then write the location of that file to the the .ini file? Also, maybe this one was just me, but it simply refused to open my dynasty file when I set the location of the file in the .ini file to the actual .sav file generated by MVP, but when the .sav file is renamed to testpcd.sav and placed in the working folder, it works. Quite crazy. Maybe it was the spaces in the file name.

You could probably do a bit of coding to reduce the occurence of run-time errors. A message box trapping the error and allowing the program to continue would be a lot nicer than a VB-induced error that closes the program.

That said though, the fact that the program actually exists is great and from what I've seen, works quite well. Nice job, Rich!

Those are alot the same points I'd like to make.

Keep in mind that a program of this complexity is well above my meager computer ability, so the fact that it even exists and works is incredible. I've had a number of crashes and lockups that had to be exited via the task manager. Most times the program won't run again, unless I uninstall and reinstall.

I'll have to try IE, since the pages don't look good in FireFox.

ok guys. i get a error when trying to use the program. When i try to create a standing page i get this error.

Run-time error 6 Overflow

and also when i trying to create team pages i get the same error. what is happening. everything esle work just fine. the error happen when it get to the chicago white sox.

Send me the .sav file to MVPSavReader@yahoo.com and tell me what version (PC, PS2, XBox) it is and what kind of file it is (Dynasty, Roster, Owner) and I'll see if I can figure out the problem.

- Rich

Is there a way to select all players for all teams at once (when creating player pages)? Or does it have to be one team at a time?

It's built into the program to do that, but I have no turned that part on yet, because I didn't know how long it might take to generate 6500+ HTML pages (which is what you'd get if you created them all). I'll do some testing on Tuesday and make sure it doesn't cause problems. If it doesn't, I'll put it in the next release.

- Rich

Right out of the ReadMe:

"The end result should be the .sav file from either a roster or a dynasty save (no owner mode... yet)"

Pictures and logos aren't working for me either.

Here's a pic of the error I mentioned earlier:

error.jpg

Can you send me the .sav file to MVPSavReader@yahoo.com and tell me what version (PC, PS2, XBox) it is and what kind of file it is (Dynasty, Roster, Owner)? It looks like a bug when reading in the stats. If, so I'll fix it.

I'll check out the rosters and logos problem too. The garbled .ini file is strange. Are you guys who are getting the weird characters using Notepad to view it? The ini file will probably go away completely for the next major release and I'll just use the windows file picker box and store the values in the program. Give me some time. :)

- Rich

Thanks for the compliments! Now on to the issues...

First impressions:

Agreed. The screen layout is static based on a previous build using a nifty little progress bar showing you exactly what it was doing (45% complete, etc). I pulled that out because it was causing slowdowns on importing and problems, so I just haven't gotten around to reformatting the screen. Next version will allow maximizing, minimizing, resizing, etc.

I apologize for this. I should know better, being a programmer in my day job. I'll make it compatible ASAP. This is why people are getting unreadable pages.

The ini file will be going away soon. I'm guessing the problem with it reading the .sav file directly is maybe a read-only flag on the file or something. I don't even own the PC version, so I'll have to try and get a copy off ebay or Best Buy or somewhere soon to check that out.

I agree, and all that will be coming soon. Did I release too early? Maybe, and I apologize for not getting the major bugs worked out. I was wanting to get a version out to everyone so quickly that I probably didn't pack as many features and functions that I'd have liked. I'm working on it.

Thanks, and keep the comments coming.

- Rich

No need to apologise at all, you have done a great job, those were just things I noticed straight off the bat. I suppose the good thing about programming is that you can release 5 or 10 versions before it's ready to keep people happy with quick versions then fix any problems later, whereas if you hold off the release to get things looking good and no bugs, people will still complain that it took too long to be released. :)

Great Job Rich!!! This is awsome...I only have one problem and i don't see anybody having this problem......i am in control of the cubs in a dynasty mode and it won't complete the standings of the National League Central on the Cubs Home page....it just list the Cardinals in first and then stops there

I posted this in the other thread, but when installing, I get to the "Choose Directory" portion and the only two options are to "Change Location" or "Close". I keep changing location and nothing comes up that I can move on. Only let's me close.

Up above those two options is the box-thingamajiggy you hit to install. I kept thinking the same thing (that I was missing something) because I'm used to hitting a "next" button down below. It's up above this time. Enjoy the new program!

Archived