Player progression, buggy or just poorly done?

Dead_Monkey_Z

First, I'm pissed at myself because I promised myself I was never going to make a post complaining about the game. Well, we can throw that out the window.

Anyways, here's the deal, I just finished up the first year of my Brewers dynasty(MVP difficulty). I played about 1/3 of the games. Lost the World Series to the Yanks in game 7 and had a 92 win season. Unbelievable isn't it? So I get to the offseason and it's time to sign/resign players. Jeff Bennet, a 24yr old with a cannon of an arm had a great season in relief for me. So now he wants big money. Like 2yrs 2000+ big money. I'm thinking, "this kids going to be a star!". So I resign him and move him to SU spot on the roster and move Visciano to closer after I release Kolb(lead the league in saves) because he was getting greedy. Blah blah blah...

Now I have everyone signed and I have a great spring training(10-2) so I go to look at the players progression and I almost shat myself. JB the 24yr old can only be better than last year right? WRONG! The ratings for all his pitches drop 10 or more points. WTF? It didn't stop there either. Jenkins, who hit .289 48hr's drops 6/12(vs. lefties/righties) in his power rating, and 5/14 in the contact but at the ripe old age of 30 gains 32 speed!

Here's 2 more examples.

Chad Moller, hit a respectable .265(remember, he's a catcher) but belts a nice 23hr's(previous career high, 7) and drops 6/23 off his power and like Jenkins, gains 20 on his speed!

Now for the killer,

Ben Sheets. The guy throws 222 innings, wins 20 games, leads the league in K's, and wins the Cy Young. Drops 6 in stamina, 4 off his fastball, 7 off his change up, but he does gain 1 on his curve. :shock:

I can't stop now,

Podsednik, led the league with 74 stolen bases, drops 14 in speed and Bill Hall who stole a remarkable 4 gains 16. :banghead:

I SAID I'M NOT DONE! :x

Junior Spivey, who hits .251, 11hr's, and steals 21 jumps up an ungodly +10/18 contact, +12/19 in power, and DROPS 9 in speed! :cry:

In closing,

WHAT THE .... EA?!

Uh-oh... that's not good. I was hoping the player progression patch was going to actually fix something. I have so far played all my major league games (managed some parts since sometimes I had to leave my computer quickly) and simmed managed my minor league games.

:(

It seems that what a player does during the season means absolutely nothing in progression... the mods out there help keep the game stable statistically, but the progression itself is horrible(IMO). Its the main reason I don't go past 1 year in my dynasty, I play for awhile and have fun then start a new dynasty. I really wish they had used the Madden progression system, that actually worked. And it actually rewarded you for playing a rookie instead of a veteran(In one dynasty I had Ricky Weeks as my 2B instead of the veteran Vina, he hit .330 20 homers 120 runs 90 RBIs 50 steals and dropped in almost every stat by 5-10).

Well, those are some pretty outstanding numbers for Weeks... maybe the comp figured we should cut him down a notch. I mean, you didn't expect any plusses after a season like that did you? :shock: :D

Anyways, I don't think that kid will ever have numbers like that in real life. Not many 2nd baseman do... just an observation...

Someone told me at one of the other boards that the previous season means nothing as far as player progression. It's the Pre-Season games that count towards progression. Don't know if that's true or not. Doesn't seem right to me, but that's what he said.

Either way I would get Bill Harris' player progression file rather than use EA's. You can find it in the DL section here.

http://www.mvpmods.com/files/misc/docs/progress.txt

I think that the progression IS based on how you did last season but...its the opposite of what it should be...I guess to equalize the game. In all the new seasons of mine, the players who did well lost more, and the players who were average or subpar got better or stayed the same.

Seems like it was EA's way of balancing the game. Unfortunately it just makes everything hideously unrealistic, but do as I do and just edit them back up to normal numbers.

Archived