MVP Crashing to desktop all of a sudden

SolidWing68

I went to play a game and it gets past the rosters current as of..screen and it goes back to desktop saying mvp05 has crashed bla bla. Only mods I have installed are Total MLB 1.08, Trues High-Res Ball, 2006 Schedule and UR Standard Rosters(the one with the .sav file) and I dunno what to do here..any help?

I have this same problem. I just tried installing KSM's datafile, but it was labeled as a .txt file. I renamed it as a .big file and overwrote my data.big file. Now the game won't load.

Do I need that original datafile again? Or can I download a new one with the modifications? why are these datafiles I'm downloading ending in .txt?

Help!?!

The Datafile.txt and the Datafile.big are not the same thing.

Datafile.Big

This file is the larger, all encompassing file. Among tons of other things, it stores user's Datafiles

Datafile.txt

This document is the actual "datafile" people refer to when talking about datafiles. This document is stored in the Datafile.big file.

When you download a new Datafile, you should receive it in a text format, (.txt), and its size should be roughly around 700KB. If you attempt to open the datafile, it will appear as jibberish. That's because it's compressed. Uncompressed, the datafile.txt is roughly around 4+MB. When it's uncompressed, users can edit the values by using a basic text application like Notepad.

Installing a Datafile

When "installing" a new DataFile.txt, you simply take the compressed datafile.txt, (the one around 7##KB), and place it in the Data folder withing your game's directory. Now, the other file - Datafile.big - comes into play. EDIT: The following in red is incorrect. Please refer down a few replies for a better understanding. Sorry. With a compressed datafile.txt in the data directory, the next time you start MVP, the Datafile.big will pick up the datafile and overwrite the one already stored within itself. Once it's recognized correctly and you have ensured that you can play the game, you can just delete the datafile.txt you placed in the data directory.

Whoo - that's alot of text. :? Sorry, but I just wanted to make sure you understand.

Now, as for you MiamiSteve, I'm afraid you will need the datafile again. I'm almost 100% that you can go to the Data directory on one of your CD's, (sorry, don't remember which one), and find the file "DataFile.big." Copy and Paste that into the following directory:

C:Program FilesEA SportsMVP Baseball 2005datadatafile

*Assuming the default installation

Overwrite any existing datafile.big files you already have. Then start the game and see if you can at least play it. If you can, you can now take KSM's download and locate the file "Datafile.txt." As mentioned, just place this text file into your game's data directory and the next time you start MVP up, it should pick up KSM's datafile just fine.

Note: Sometimes, I've had bad datafile.txt documents linger in my data directory and cause my game to crash. If this is the case for you SolidWing68, I'd suggest removing anything in there.

Success! Thanks PolishJoe. I pulled the datafile.big off of CD 1 in the compressed file folder and replaced the one I had accidentally overwritten.

Awesome man - Glad to hear it!

SolidWing68, thinking about what Emil said, perhaps you could delete your UR .Sav file and see what happens. If it does load fine then, I'd copy/paste all the Dat file in the UR Download to the database folder.

But, if that's not the solution, when did MVP start crashing or was it always like this prior to modding?

No it was fine before it started crashing cause all I had installed was Total MLB v 1.08, an official ball mod(not trues one, an older one I cant remember the name), spittoons bat mod and thats it..but I have good news, I uninstalled mvp baseball 2005, deleted the folder in My Documents, deleted the folder remains in program files, I re-installed it, went fine..applied official patch #5, installed Total MLB v 1.08, installed Ultimate Roster v 6.31 Standard Edition(I copied the .dat files into the right folder, not the one with the .sav file in my documents this time) and it starts up and plays fine.

No it was fine before it started crashing cause all I had installed was Total MLB v 1.08, an official ball mod(not trues one, an older one I cant remember the name), spittoons bat mod and thats it..but I have good news, I uninstalled mvp baseball 2005, deleted the folder in My Documents, deleted the folder remains in program files, I re-installed it, went fine..applied official patch #5, installed Total MLB v 1.08, installed Ultimate Roster v 6.31 Standard Edition(I copied the .dat files into the right folder, not the one with the .sav file in my documents this time) and it starts up and plays fine.

I swear I thought you were going to say something about saving tons of money on your car insurance. :wink:

Glad to hear that everything's working fine though! :yeah:

Installing a Datafile

With a compressed datafile.txt in the data directory, the next time you start MVP, the Datafile.big will pick up the datafile and overwrite the one already stored within itself. Once it's recognized correctly and you have ensured that you can play the game, you can just delete the datafile.txt you placed in the data directory.

I apologize to you, but this is misleading information. You need to realize that if you delete the datafile.txt, the next time you load MVP you will get the DEFAULT datafile.txt that comes out of the box & thereby lose the benefit of why you installed the file in the first place. (unless of course you only want to use the modded datafile ONE time)

I apologize to you, but this is misleading information. You need to realize that if you delete the datafile.txt, the next time you load MVP you will get the DEFAULT datafile.txt that comes out of the box & thereby lose the benefit of why you installed the file in the first place. (unless of course you only want to use the modded datafile ONE time)

No need to apologize man. I'd rather be right than proud. :wink:

I honestly didn't know that though. :oops: I was under the impression that once your datafile.big recognized the datafile.txt, it would encompass the compressed document. I'll edit my previous post so no one gets the wrong information if they're using this post as a reference from a search or something.

- Thanks!

Archived