"Legends from the Booth" Play-By-Play

OTBjoel

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this mod!!!

I have applied it to every mlb2k5 mod I have.

A couple of things.

1) An addition to the "color" replacement side might be some kind of

home run comments. The silence is kind of deafening.

2) Things tend to go "dead" quite often with this mod. As Jeremiah Johnson

once said "There's nothing wrong with quiet" so its no big deal but it happens

at least once a game.

Thanks again.

Thanks for everybody's kind words regarding this mod. Keep in mind, it's a work in progress and this is just the beginning. Those moments of silence will be taken care of as Ernie Harwell begins to fill in for Krukow. I'll continue to work on it. ;)

We are going to post a "Help Wanted" :) here in the next couple days for this project. It is alot of work and various members of Team Classics have things going on (as we all do) at this time.

So, it will be for all audio work. Names, etc.

Working on an "Instruction/How To" read me perhaps as part of some kind of DL sample to get the hang of it. IF anyone can practice and GET the nack for creating some names it would be greatly appreciated help. A finished "Legends in the Booth" will also take this mod to the next level (who knows the files may be used in the future elsewhere as well).

OTB,

I mean real "silence" no play by play at all. My last game in the

'67 mod had an amalgam of play by play at seemingly random

intervals. 98% was without any pbp at all.

Fred..,

So you are saying that I should go back to the original

pnamehdr.big in the ..\audio\spch_pbp dir and only use

the "big daddy"?

Thanks. I really, really, hope that I am not posting in the

wrong place with this one!!

Edited by danc

• 1 month later...

Well, I just finished indexing the Ernie Harwell PBP file and got a whopping 11,800 sounds clips from it. Now this isn't as much as Vin Scully from MLB04 but you have to realize its all Ernie. There are no other color commentators or anything in here. Not quite as much color type commentary as I would like but its classic. Most of Krukow's color was idiotic anyway. We should be able to rebuild just about any call from the combination of Mel/Ernie/Vin. Which one actually makes a call will also depend on if there is a grammatical match for the call in their sound files. This is the main reason why I can't use Vin for everything. For example, in MVP, they like to say team A "trails" team B by 1. Vin does not have the word "trail" anywhere in his sound calls so I might use Mel or Ernie instead. But with the three of them to pick from, we are bound to be able to recreate everything. The other great thing with getting to Ernie's source file is he used to be the one commentator I was concerned wouldn't get enough calls. I considered taking him out altogether at some point. Now he has almost as many calls as Vin Scully and more than Mel Allen. He will have equal footing and not just be a "third wheel" anymore.

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in as well and thank Joel for a great, great mod. I am 42 years old and stopped playing video games about 8 years ago (just lost interest), but when my Cincy Reds started playing well this year, I kind of got nostalgic about High Heat, read up every review I could find and discovered MVP 2005. I have the '07 version (can't get the '08 total mod to install no matter what I do--use the discs, do it with a virtual drive mounted, nothing works, it always says "can't find CD1"), and I have put in some camera/data file mods that really enhance the game. It's truly amazing.

Then I started a season and was ready to trash it all after hearing Krukow say the same stupid things 20 times per game. Joel's mod has completely saved this game for me. It does have some gaps because it's not yet complete, like the aforementioned silences (sometimes it will go an inning or more with NO commentary at all? Then randomly start it up again?) and the silence after home runs sucks, but even in this early stage, this mod has literally made this game bearable to play.

Just wanted to say thanks to OTCJoel and to anyone who is helping this, and to encourage to post any updated versions of the files as they are complete. I realize that you're probably a long way from being done with this, but even a few less gaps and some home run commentary would be a huge improvement over this already essential mod.

If only we could get Marty Brenneman and Joe Nuxhall!

I think you're right, that makes sense-it goes silent for an inning or more, until the next instance of a name that he "knows" triggers the audio.

Again, just stopping the gaps and silences for home runs will make this 100% better than what it already is, but the finished product as OTCjoel has described it will be even more amazing. I hope it's done before this baseball season is over!