Dylan's Mvp Baseball 2005 Batter Rating Calculator - Support Topic

DylanBradbury

I couldn't find my original post for when I first created this program, so I made a new one....

No users can calculate a batter's bunting, plate discipline, durability, stealing aggressiveness, and baserunning ability ratings.

The program can be downloaded here.

If you have any questions or comments, they can be asked here.

Here is a chart for the new ratings converting them from the 0-15 scale to the 0-100 scale:

15 100

14 95

13 90

12 85

11 80

10 75

9 70

8 65

7 60

6 55

5 50

4 40

3 30

2 20

1 10

0 0

Enjoy!

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick question, where can we find the number of GDP in the game so that it can be applied to this chart?
In the last column on any player page at baseball reference, you can find the number of GDPS.

The chart is for if you want to convert any of the new ratings such as Plate Discipline or Durability into the 0-100 range.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the calculator. I think some of the ratings may be a bit harsh especially for the minor league portion. Also the speed always seems like it's about 10 lower than it should be. Thats just my opinion.

Thanks for downloading.

Just to let you know, the correlation between statistics and the ratings is above 98%, so they should be pretty accurate.

But, if you feel they are about 10 lower than they should be for speed, just add ten.

Take care, and thanks again for downloading.

• 4 weeks later...

Dylan, I was wondering... are your rating calculators designed for just a single seasons stats, career stats or a 3 year span? Or anything else for that matter. Seems like if I go with more than one years worth of stats everyone has a durability rating of 15...

Dylan, I was wondering... are your rating calculators designed for just a single seasons stats, career stats or a 3 year span? Or anything else for that matter. Seems like if I go with more than one years worth of stats everyone has a durability rating of 15...

Yah, I need to fix that. I literally woke up in the middle of the night, realizing that those results might be skewed.

Yah, I need to fix that. I literally woke up in the middle of the night, realizing that those results might be skewed.

I'm finding similar results now with the baserunning ability. When I enter in multiple seasons, unless a guy has REALLY bad baserunning stats it outputs a 15.

Dylan,

Great work on your programs.

I've got a question, and I don't really know if this is even possible, but is there a way to write the program so that it would be able to pull stats up from Baseball-Reference, MLB.com, etc.? Maybe individual players by year? Lets say I wanted to pull up Tom Glavine's stats for 1998, could I just put his name and year in, and the program pull his stats up and put them in the appropriate boxes? If possible, it would save roster makers loads of time.

Like I said, I'm not really sure if it can be done, just thought I'd ask.

Dylan,

Great work on your programs.

I've got a question, and I don't really know if this is even possible, but is there a way to write the program so that it would be able to pull stats up from Baseball-Reference, MLB.com, etc.? Maybe individual players by year? Lets say I wanted to pull up Tom Glavine's stats for 1998, could I just put his name and year in, and the program pull his stats up and put them in the appropriate boxes? If possible, it would save roster makers loads of time.

Like I said, I'm not really sure if it can be done, just thought I'd ask.

tebjr,

Thanks for the kind words! I'm very glad you like my programs. Specifically, what do you think of the Defensive Calculator?

In regards to your question, I'm sure somehow, it is possible. However, I taught myself VB and therefore my knowledge is quite low. Parsing through a website's database might be a little bit of a challenge right now. Maybe in a few years?

Sorry to disappoint.

Thanks again,

Dylan

tebjr,

Thanks for the kind words! I'm very glad you like my programs. Specifically, what do you think of the Defensive Calculator?

In regards to your question, I'm sure somehow, it is possible. However, I taught myself VB and therefore my knowledge is quite low. Parsing through a website's database might be a little bit of a challenge right now. Maybe in a few years?

Sorry to disappoint.

Thanks again,

Dylan

No problem Dylan. I knew it would be a big undertaking to tap into a website like that. Especially considering we're talking over 100 years of stats and players.

The only thing I've found so far with the Defensive Calculator is that most relievers come out with a 15 in fielding, range, and throwing strength. Pretty much no matter what the stats are, they are always 15. Otherwise, great program.

Dylan, just a quick suggestion about the defensive ratings calculator...

Let me ask you, have you ever been playing MVP and seen the pitcher snag a line drive heading into center field? I'm sure you have, we all have, and it happens WAY too often in MVP. Am I right? Well, I've found that if I set the fielding and range values for pitchers no higher than 3 I no longer see that happening. Bounders go right through the pitchers' legs and they duck and flail their glove at line drives to no avail but they do manage to field bunts, slow rollers and check swing hits just like you'd expect em to. So maybe this is something you'd like to incorporate into the calculator, maybe not, but I swear to you, it makes for a much more realistic game.

No problem Dylan. I knew it would be a big undertaking to tap into a website like that. Especially considering we're talking over 100 years of stats and players.

The only thing I've found so far with the Defensive Calculator is that most relievers come out with a 15 in fielding, range, and throwing strength. Pretty much no matter what the stats are, they are always 15. Otherwise, great program.

Thanks for the tips on the relievers' ratings. I'll fix that ASAP.

What about second basemen? Are you finding their ratings accurate? Any other positions giving erroneous ratings?

Thanks tebjr!

Dylan, just a quick suggestion about the defensive ratings calculator...

Let me ask you, have you ever been playing MVP and seen the pitcher snag a line drive heading into center field? I'm sure you have, we all have, and it happens WAY too often in MVP. Am I right? Well, I've found that if I set the fielding and range values for pitchers no higher than 3 I no longer see that happening. Bounders go right through the pitchers' legs and they duck and flail their glove at line drives to no avail but they do manage to field bunts, slow rollers and check swing hits just like you'd expect em to. So maybe this is something you'd like to incorporate into the calculator, maybe not, but I swear to you, it makes for a much more realistic game.

Interesting point InSainn!

I appreciate the tips,but having all the pitcher's ratings from 0 to 3 would cause Gold Glove Pitchers (Greg Maddux) to be like all the other pitchers. (No offence intended).

If you feel like 3 should be the max for pitcher's you should incorporate it into your rosters.

Thanks for the tips on the relievers' ratings. I'll fix that ASAP.

What about second basemen? Are you finding their ratings accurate? Any other positions giving erroneous ratings?

Thanks tebjr!

I'm finding all the other positions to be fairly accurate. Just the relievers.

Interesting point InSainn!

I appreciate the tips,but having all the pitcher's ratings from 0 to 3 would cause Gold Glove Pitchers (Greg Maddux) to be like all the other pitchers. (No offence intended).

If you feel like 3 should be the max for pitcher's you should incorporate it into your rosters.

Well, basically, what I've done is if I got a rating of 1-5 for a pitcher, I give him a 1, if I get a 6-10 rating I give him a 2 and if I get an 11-15 rating I give him a 3. Then for pitchers who are year in-year out gold glove winners like Maddux I might bump em up to a 5... keep in mind that alot of a pitchers fielding stats are based purely on luck, especially anything to do with range factor because there's just no way to have any kind of actual range when you're still following through with your pitching motion...

Dylan,

I've got another idea I'd like to throw out for you.

What about setting all the stats, except games played, so that we could be able to put in splits for them. I'm not sure if you'd need to change or refine any of your formulas to make it work.

Maybe something like this:

87817981bz0.jpg

I really like the ratings I get from this one. Also, as you tweak the defensive one, it's getting better and better.

I'd be using it now but my g/f got the computer before I did, and is playing bejeweled on it. I am on my "work horse" PC where I do everything but gaming... Maybe later...

Archived