Dylan's Mvp Baseball 2005 Batter Rating Calculator - Support Topic

DylanBradbury

Hey Dylan, is there any works on having the spreadsheet conversion available for the Batting/Pitching Calculators?

Well, almost three months after Andy asked, it's finally up!

My Batter Rating Calculator with the Import/Export to file feature (AKA spreadsheet conversion) is available to download.

Also new to this version...

- Ground-ball%/Line-drive%/Fly-ball%/HR% vs. Left/Right

- Spray chart information (LF%/CF%/RF%) vs. Left/Right

- Chase/Take/Miss data

As well, the import/export feature estimates (does not calculate) platoon splits, so now you don't have to go to crazy depths to find them.

It can be downloaded here.

Enjoy! biggrin.gif

-Dylan

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What have I done wrong Dylan?

Tebjr, I don't think you're doing anything wrong. I believe that the problem is occurring because I wrote the macro script in Excel VBA, and it's trying to run in OpenOffice, and I base my conclusion on this post.

I really don't know of a solution other than trying the spreadsheet in Microsoft Excel, if you have it.

Sorry I couldn't be more of a help man.

If anyone would prefer not to use my inputBatting Generator, all they have to do is create a CSV file, with the following headings in the following order (one line per player, can't format it that way on the board):

Name,Org,Level,Pos,NumYrs,G,AB,R,H,2B,3B,HR,RBI,SB,CS,BB,SO,GDP,HBP,SH,SF,IBB,rA

VG,lAVG,rSLG,lSLG

And just fill in the information from there. The downside would be that the platoon splits would have to be estimated/calculated/generated by you and not by the calculator.

Example:

Name,Org,Level,Pos,NumYrs,G,AB,R,H,2B,3B,HR,RBI,SB,CS,BB,SO,GDP,HBP,SH,SF,IBB,rA

VG,lAVG,rSLG,lSLG

Dave Berg,Toronto,MLB,2B,1,61,161,26,41,6,1,4,18,0,1,11,34,7,0,1,1,0,247,286,350,435

Mike Bordick,Toronto,MLB,SS,1,102,343,39,94,18,2,5,54,3,1,33,60,8,2,0,1,0,267,305,354

Kevin Cash,Toronto,MLB,C,1,34,106,10,15,3,0,1,8,0,0,4,22,6,1,5,1,0,134,162,180,231

Frank Catalanotto,Toronto,MLB,LF,1,133,489,83,146,34,6,13,59,2,2,35,62,9,6,2,3,1,303,2

For the record, the language used for macros in Excel (Visual Basic) are in a different language than the language used for OOo macros (some Basic variant). This means macros written in one will be incompatible with the other.

This means Excel is a requirement to use all the features of the spreadsheet.

Excellent you rating generator............but i think that it has a error with the players that have some AB. for example:

A player that only played in one game and gt this stats:

1 AB

1 H

AVE: 1000

ALG: 1000

if you use your generator, this player get contact 85 & power 100. It means that this guy is better than another players that played 162 games.

It will be better if you use some kind of penalties depending of the AB . for example if a player only have 20 AB or less, he get a penality of 30 %, from 21-50AB, the penalty will be 20%........

doing this you could filter the players that only takes a few AB or the other players that takes many AB.

Excellent you rating generator............but i think that it has a error with the players that have some AB. for example:

A player that only played in one game and gt this stats:

1 AB

1 H

AVE: 1000

ALG: 1000

if you use your generator, this player get contact 85 & power 100. It means that this guy is better than another players that played 162 games.

It will be better if you use some kind of penalties depending of the AB . for example if a player only have 20 AB or less, he get a penality of 30 %, from 21-50AB, the penalty will be 20%........

doing this you could filter the players that only takes a few AB or the other players that takes many AB.

Ta.gif omardj38 for the compliment and the polite tips.

I'm actually trying to fix some of those bugs as I type this message.

great....... but you should put a minimum value for MLB players...... for example........if a guy only get a 063 AVE & 063 SLG, the result is contact 12 & power 6. I think this is a very poor attribb for a MLB player. If this guy is playing in MLB is because at lest he has contact and power of 50.

in MVP Caribe, we use an excel sheet to calculate the ratings (contact & power) but normally some players only take a few AB. sometime those players have a good stats and have a AVE of 700. another players had games every day and have a AVE of 270. If you analize this, both players shold have a differents ratings.

We apply a penalties for this situations.

1-10 AB --------30%

11-20 AB ------25%

21-40 AB ------15%

41-60 AB ------10%

61 AB or more -------0%

and we put a minimun ratings of 50 (contact) - 50 (power). So, we can filter everydays players from bench players and types of players have a decent ratings.

great....... but you should put a minimum value for MLB players...... for example........if a guy only get a 063 AVE & 063 SLG, the result is contact 12 & power 6. I think this is a very poor attribb for a MLB player. If this guy is playing in MLB is because at lest he has contact and power of 50.

in MVP Caribe, we use an excel sheet to calculate the ratings (contact & power) but normally some players only take a few AB. sometime those players have a good stats and have a AVE of 700. another players had games every day and have a AVE of 270. If you analize this, both players shold have a differents ratings.

We apply a penalties for this situations.

1-10 AB --------30%

11-20 AB ------25%

21-40 AB ------15%

41-60 AB ------10%

61 AB or more -------0%

and we put a minimun ratings of 50 (contact) - 50 (power). So, we can filter everydays players from bench players and types of players have a decent ratings.

While I do appreciate your tips, In my opinion, I think if a player is hitting .063, he should get a 12 contact and 6 power rating. Keep in mind as well, there's a bench penalty already incorperated as well. So if he hits .063 with in 100 ABs, his rating calculations will differ from someone who hit .063 in 10 ABs.

I've simmed a few seasons with my ratings, and the results have been pretty accurate.

Thanks again for the feedback omardj38!

nice.......i used import/export function and i got an error.... a player with those stats:

Ab: 1

G: 1

2B: 1

AVE vs. R : 1000

SLG vs. R : 2000

AVE vs. L: 0

SLG vs. L : 0

the program show me an error with the formulas or something like that.

Thanks for letting me know, sorry about the error. I'll try to fix it sometime today.

Dylan: could you make a rating generator for MVP Caribe? i think it could be the same for mlb but with some modifications in the penalities . We should used it for the next MVP Caribe 2009.

Hey omardj38, I'd be more than happy to make a rating calculator for MVP Caribe, I'll just modify the penalties to the one's discussed above as well as setting the bottom limit to 50. Ill PM you with the new calculator for MVP Caribe when I'm done.

thanks man........ but let me tell you the differents penalties that we used it in MVP Caribe...........and i think i should tell you some things about caribbeans leagues... so you can understand me better......

Caribbean leagues are from october- december(regular season) in january are the playoffs...... in the diferents countries, the regular season schedule isn't the same:

- Mexico: 68 games

-Dominican Republic: 50 games

-Puerto Rico: 45 games

- Venezuela: 63 games.

looking at this, the players could take more or less AB in a particular country than others player in another country.

Another thing is that the MLB player, normally begins to play in december.....so they take a few AB.......another players take a fews AB too because they are rookies.

So, we aplyy the penalties depending of the AB in the regular season.

1-10 AB = -35 points

11-25 AB = -20 points

26-40 AB = -15 points

41-55 AB = -10 points

56-70 AB = -5 points

71 or more = none penalties

with this, we filter those rookie playes that only take a few AB from the regular players. The penalties are the same for contact and power.

Another thing is the minimun contact and power for the players. Actually, we use 55 for contact and 50 for power.

if you have any question, just PM me or post it here.

have a nice day.

The most reasonable thing to do with a player that has only 10 or so at bats is to use different criteria. No one should have their ratings based on such a small sample. Maybe a hybrid between calculated ratings and default ratings, or better yet ... ratings based off a previus seasons or last 3 seasons.

It's the same situation as a late season MLB call up. You shouldn;t base their ratings off 23 MLB at bats, but rather use their full minor league season as the base.

For example, I remember when Gregg Jefferies was called up for the Mets, he went 3-for-6. There's no way we could even attempt to give him projections o ratings based on those stats. So, we used his last 2 minor league seasons to get his ratings for his rookie season. Geez, I remeber this from all the way back in 1987 (I believe). Amazing what stuff sticks in your memory.

thanks man........ but let me tell you the differents penalties that we used it in MVP Caribe...........and i think i should tell you some things about caribbeans leagues... so you can understand me better......

Caribbean leagues are from october- december(regular season) in january are the playoffs...... in the diferents countries, the regular season schedule isn't the same:

- Mexico: 68 games

-Dominican Republic: 50 games

-Puerto Rico: 45 games

- Venezuela: 63 games.

looking at this, the players could take more or less AB in a particular country than others player in another country.

Another thing is that the MLB player, normally begins to play in december.....so they take a few AB.......another players take a fews AB too because they are rookies.

So, we aplyy the penalties depending of the AB in the regular season.

1-10 AB = -35 points

11-25 AB = -20 points

26-40 AB = -15 points

41-55 AB = -10 points

56-70 AB = -5 points

with this, we filter those rookie playes that only take a few AB from the regular players. The penalties are the same for contact and power.

Another thing is the minimun contact and power for the players. Actually, we use 55 for contact and 50 for power.

if you have any question, just PM me or post it here.

have a nice day.

Errr... :unsure: I was sort of just hoping to copy my regular calculator, and incorporate the MVP Caribe penalties. Unfortunately if we're changing the amount of games, quite a few of the formula's I've created will need to be changed as well.

So, the best I can do is incorporate your penalties with my calculators. Would that be OK, or should I not bother?

yeah.........only includes the penalties........forget it the amount of games.... we only use the AB to aplyy the penalties.......

another thing.......we only use the caribbean stats for the players because many players have a good season in MLB but in Caribbean leagues they're a very bad players...for example Christian Guzman......in MLB he batting over .300, but when he play with Licey he looks like he send a twin.....

in other way, we have players that are all stars in caribbean leagues but in MLB are very bad....... example: jesus guzman, anderson hernandez, pablo ozuna, etc.

yeah.........only includes the penalties........forget it the amount of games.... we only use the AB to aplyy the penalties.......

another thing.......we only use the caribbean stats for the players because many players have a good season in MLB but in Caribbean leagues they're a very bad players...for example Christian Guzman......in MLB he batting over .300, but when he play with Licey he looks like he send a twin.....

in other way, we have players that are all stars in caribbean leagues but in MLB are very bad....... example: jesus guzman, anderson hernandez, pablo ozuna, etc.

Okay man, sounds do-able. One quick clarification though, which penalties would you like me to use?:

These ones:

1-10 AB = -35 points

11-25 AB = -20 points

26-40 AB = -15 points

41-55 AB = -10 points

56-70 AB = -5 points

or these ones:

1-10 AB --------30%

11-20 AB ------25%

21-40 AB ------15%

41-60 AB ------10%

61 AB or more -------0%

I recommend a checkbox, so people can choose whether to apply such penalties or not.

This is a calculator, if you tell it your player is a .500/1.000/2.000 hitter, then the correct answer is that most of his stats are maxed out. It's up to the user to realize that a 1/2, HR, BB cup of coffee doesn't represent his actual ability. Implementing a ceiling and floor for low PA players is one solution, while adding more numbers, adjusted for context is another.

I recommend a checkbox, so people can choose whether to apply such penalties or not.

This is a calculator, if you tell it your player is a .500/1.000/2.000 hitter, then the correct answer is that most of his stats are maxed out. It's up to the user to realize that a 1/2, HR, BB cup of coffee doesn't represent his actual ability. Implementing a ceiling and floor for low PA players is one solution, while adding more numbers, adjusted for context is another.

My most recent versions of my calculators have used a bench penalty (no need to change something that works), and the new omardj38 penalties will only be added to a MVP Caribe calculator. My regular calculator will not change.

The most reasonable thing to do with a player that has only 10 or so at bats is to use different criteria. No one should have their ratings based on such a small sample. Maybe a hybrid between calculated ratings and default ratings, or better yet ... ratings based off a previus seasons or last 3 seasons.

It's the same situation as a late season MLB call up. You shouldn;t base their ratings off 23 MLB at bats, but rather use their full minor league season as the base.

For example, I remember when Gregg Jefferies was called up for the Mets, he went 3-for-6. There's no way we could even attempt to give him projections o ratings based on those stats. So, we used his last 2 minor league seasons to get his ratings for his rookie season. Geez, I remeber this from all the way back in 1987 (I believe). Amazing what stuff sticks in your memory.

A+, couldn't have said it better myself.

Everything is based on context. You adjust down a minor leaguer's stats, because someone who hits .300 in AA isn't doing the same in the majors. For Caribe, since the top level is the foreign league, then stats should be adjusted for that. Someone who is a star in a Latin country may be an average player here, but there, he's still a star, so he deserves his ratings.

If you've established that 80 contact gives .290 Avg and about 80 SO at the highest level (per 600 PA, and pure speculation), then that will be true regardless of what the highest level is, because that's how MVP works.

As far as shorter seasons are concerned, if you put an option for listing the season length, then prorate the input to it, it might be your best bet. Caveat, of course, is that the less games, the more random the stats are, and it becomes more important to have more, but that's up to the roster maker to get right.

"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" … I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

— Charles Babbage

My most recent versions of my calculators have used a bench penalty (no need to change something that works), and the new omardj38 penalties will only be added to a MVP Caribe calculator. My regular calculator will not change.

For the record, how many PA/IP should I put to assure that these penalties are not being used? I also don't see why Caribe needs a separate calculator, they're measuring the same thing, as far as I can tell.

Archived