2k9 For Dummies

Sharpshooter

I thought I would start a question and answer place for those like me who are new to the 2k9 series. Especially if you are making the transition from the MVP series. Let's keep it at just that. Questions and answers. Two days of messing around and I am a bit confused about some things and thought about asking the nice folks from mvpmods.

When I am pitching, (using Classic Pitching), I push button 1 which is the green button on the xbox 360 controller, this yellow circle enlarges. when do I push the green button again for a good pitch. I hope my question makes sense.

I have the same identical question for Total Control Picthing. Thanks in advance for your input.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For pitching, you want the yellow circle to get as big as possible before you start your 2nd analog move for the pitch. If you time it right, you can get a MAX effort for your pitch. I would assume its the same for button as well. Haven't tried button pitching myself.

*That 2nd analog move... make it as quick as possible.

Anyone have any tips for Hitting? I'm not used to using the Right Analog stick to swing since I've only played MVP Baseball which used the basic face buttons.

It's more of a timing thing, just figuring out the right time to start forward on the RS. If you really don't like it, you can go to the controller setup, hit 4 on your keyboard, and change hitting to classic. That'll give you the MVP style button hitting.

On a fielding note: I figured out you have to hold down the "quick throw" button and move the stick to the bag you want if you're trying to turn double plays. I couldn't figure out why they were slow when I was preloading the throw and letting go fast. I didn't realize another button had to be held.

It's more of a timing thing, just figuring out the right time to start forward on the RS. If you really don't like it, you can go to the controller setup, hit 4 on your keyboard, and change hitting to classic. That'll give you the MVP style button hitting.

On a fielding note: I figured out you have to hold down the "quick throw" button and move the stick to the bag you want if you're trying to turn double plays. I couldn't figure out why they were slow when I was preloading the throw and letting go fast. I didn't realize another button had to be held.

I'm playing the Demo version and I don't think the option to turning hitting to classic mode is available or is it?

I don't think you can set to auto fielding. I cannot find this feature. This is what I was looking for as well. I used have auto fielding in MVP and I did the throwing but I have yet to find it, and I've looked everywhere. If you read the messages at the bottom of every screen, it tells you if there is a hidden menu for that window. I've looked everywhere.

Good topic, it's been pinned.

Can someone tell me how to activate the full 3-part pitching ala 2k8? I cannot find it for the life of me.

Press 4 on the controller setup to get to the control option screen, and then turn on 'release timing'

Is anyone having trouble stealing?...I can lead-off no problem, but it's the same button for stealing but I can't seem to get the runner to take off. Is there something i'm missing there?

From a Gameplay writeup: http://www.operationsports.com/feature.php?id=823

We also drastically changed the way you steal bases in our game for MLB 2K9. This is one of my personal favorite features because I think it adds a lot more risk to stealing and gives the user full control over their base runner.

Basically, when you have a runner on first base you press LT (L2 on PS3) to take a lead. To steal, hold LT until it vibrates which will indicate that your runner is ready to take off. The runner will now take off when you release the button. Stealing “on the fly” certainly adds a lot of fun to base stealing because now the user is forced to try to get a good jump on the pitcher. If you get a good jump, you will actually take off right before the pitcher starts his delivery and get a perfect steal.

Good post over at 2k forums breaking down fielding. Hope it helps those having problems.

http://www.2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210612

I think this year it's important to understand how the fielding system(especially outfielders) works, which I think works differently than previous years'.

From what I perceived and understand, it works like this:

The ball hits in the air, an indicator will move around a bit as the fielder starts to make a bead for the ball, then settles at a certain spot before the ball lands. The time length between moving icon and settling(seem to lock down abruptly) depends on the fielder's rating and player running toward the icon quickly. Keep in mind, to position the fielder as best as you could around the icon(move him slowly, not sudden jerky type movements). The icon will settle in(it snaps) and move the fielder right on the indicator before the ball drops.

So the moving indicator not only being affected by the wind, but also affected by how well and how soon the fielder can spot the ball. Moving the fielder rapidly from one side to another quickly, can make the fielder lose the sight of the ball, resulting in mishandling or flat out miss the ball completely.

I think it's a fine way to represent how the fielding is done in a video game, maybe a bit erratic. I hope this helps with anyone having trouble fielding the ball, as I have not had any fielding miscues after learning about this.

Archived