Zer0 Sliders

mike360

I've been quite happy with these sliders. I had to go the full 5 games as the Rockies against the Phillies to eliminate them from the playoffs.

Edit:

Although there are very few small 1-run type innings. Normally one inning will decide the game, or I'll score three or four runs in a single inning, and the computer will come back with four runs five innings later, rather than chip away.

I'm gonna try upping the batting success to 20 and lowering the power to 80, and see if that adds more small innings.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have enough of these slider threads already. Don't we. By the time you read the first post, the sliders have been tweaked and retweaked.

I don't understand how anyone can mess with sliders from game to game. Getting good results for one game or 5 is not good enough. CPU vs. CPU means nothing really if you want to be playing the games. EVERYONE's play is unique and CPU vs. CPU will never replicate that. Also, I will say it for the last time. You have to PLAY minimum, and I do mean minimum 10 games so that you can give every starting pitcher in the rotation 2 starts. You cannot adjust sliders from game to game. I used to do that for other baseball titles until it finally hit me that most of these games are meant for marathon of 162 games and not three or four.

We have enough of these slider threads already. Don't we. By the time you read the first post, the sliders have been tweaked and retweaked.

I don't understand how anyone can mess with sliders from game to game. Getting good results for one game or 5 is not good enough. CPU vs. CPU means nothing really if you want to be playing the games. EVERYONE's play is unique and CPU vs. CPU will never replicate that. Also, I will say it for the last time. You have to PLAY minimum, and I do mean minimum 10 games so that you can give every starting pitcher in the rotation 2 starts. You cannot adjust sliders from game to game. I used to do that for other baseball titles until it finally hit me that most of these games are meant for marathon of 162 games and not three or four.

then don't use them. I don't see how this is a helpful post in any way.

then don't use them. I don't see how this is a helpful post in any way.

I think the suggestions to: [1] Test the sliders (unchanged) for 2 cycles of the pitching rotation ... and/or ... [2] 10 games are not only good suggestions, but should be standard practice.

1st - Baseball is a very random game. I think anything can, and does, happen in a single game. Results from a single game tell you nothing significant.

2nd - A lot depends on what team you're playing with and gaming skill. I'd rather see sliders tested with average teams/players rather than the top 5 teams that everyone always chooses. You don't 'tweak' power by how you hit with the Yanks and you don't 'tweak' pitching sliders by how you pitch with Beckett.

3rd - Limited data/results - I would also prefer to see more game results before slider tweaks are made, for obvious reasons. Or at least things more specific than "I get awesome results with these ... only to go on and list X number of significant slider tweaks". (speaking in general at this point)

Edit: I wanted to add that I feel the author of the OP may really be on to something here (removal of IE and sliders tailored for that deletion), but might be over-tweaking sliders based on too little feedback/data (or possibly data that is not diclosed in this thread).

I add that I feel the author of the OP may really be on to something here (removal of IE and sliders tailored for that deletion), but might be over-tweaking sliders based on too little feedback/data (or possibly data that is not diclosed in this thread).

Have you even tried my sliders ? They're a very solid basis. I've been adjusting the sliders in this game since it came out. I know what they do.

I like this site.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CH...le-scores.shtml

This is what I use to tweak my game.

My Cubs in 2008 played 46 games decided by 1 run: roughly 29-30%

They also played 47 games that were blowouts 5+ runs: roughly 29-30%

When using 10 games as your base, this translates to 3 games decided by 1 run or so, 3 more games decided by 5+ runs, and that leaves 4 games where the score is your typical 7-3 or 8-5 or 4-1 etc.

That gives you variety. That's all I'm saying. During these time period, no tweaking should be done.

Have you even tried my sliders ? They're a very solid basis. I've been adjusting the sliders in this game since it came out. I know what they do.

I haven't tried your sliders. I've only tried two slider sets. 1 for 20 games, the other for considerably less. I don't doubt they are a good basis. There seem to be a lot of slider tweaks, either on information I am not aware of (but you are), or a lot of tweaks on limited information. I've done a lot of slider work with 2k7/2k8, and seen A LOT of slider threads. That doesn't amke me an expert or anything, but I do see a need for more patience/testing .

I am certainly very interested in testing Wicked's sliders for 10 games, your sliders for 10 games (with IE removed), and comparing the results to sliders I have been using, as well as, to MLB per game averages (combined teams), to get a feel for both how the sliders react and to the nuances of how this game plays.

Archived