Total Conversion Mods

Yankee4Life

I apologize for assuming statistical accuracy was the biggest goal in a baseball simulation. I am not trying to impose, but offer alternate views, and new techniques to integrate stats previously unavailable faster than ever before.

EDIT: I have experience in baseball simulators, and historically, these small sample size issues are the biggest issues people need to try to work around, so I'm trying to preemptively avoid those. The alternatives are generally to use regression, or add below-average ABs to part time players.

Edited by patsen

I know what you mean. I know there's a lot of people who come here demanding things. I was not trying to be one of them. I just know modders won't be taken seriously until they get results, but because my skills are stat-based, I can't just make quick demo mods. Doesn't work that way.

I apologize if I've seemed arrogant or demanding, but I've worked in other sims, and I was trying to steer people away from problems I've run into before. I understand not many people here are sabermetrically inclined, but pushing new theories without proof isn't helping my cause.

So, guess my best bet is to withdraw and so some research on something else for the time being. I've been talking to people about a few things, so if you still think you want my assistance, contact me, and we can keep working on those.

I know what you mean. I know there's a lot of people who come here demanding things. I was not trying to be one of them. I just know modders won't be taken seriously until they get results, but because my skills are stat-based, I can't just make quick demo mods. Doesn't work that way.

I apologize if I've seemed arrogant or demanding, but I've worked in other sims, and I was trying to steer people away from problems I've run into before. I understand not many people here are sabermetrically inclined, but pushing new theories without proof isn't helping my cause.

So, guess my best bet is to withdraw and so some research on something else for the time being. I've been talking to people about a few things, so if you still think you want my assistance, contact me, and we can keep working on those.

Well, it's not for me to contact you about this since I'm not working on the 1998 mod but if you really believe that you have something to offer then that's fine. It is too bad though that you can't show anyone what you mean.

Just reading your explanation of what you were trying to convey, I don't believe you are one of those people who come in here and just want, want, want. Just check this thread a few pages back and you'll see a perfect example of what I mean. I don't think you are that kind at all after listening to you.

Even though your reasoning is sound, I don't think this is what they are after when a season mod is created. We have a lot of season mods out there as you can tell. Let me use the 1951 mod for an example. That mod is the only season mod that has Joe Dimaggio in it. Dimaggio for his career was a .325 hitter but in 1951, his last year in the majors, he hit .263 with 12 home runs and 71 RBI. Hardly a year you would be proud of if you were a Hall of Fame type player. Even though we all know that Dimaggio was so much more a better player than this, this is exactly what he did in 1951 and to have a season mod be accurate, those are the stats that Dimaggio has when you play that mod. And this is for this reason alone that when Shane Spencer is in the '98 mod, his stats will be better because his overall offensive stats in 1998 were better as compared to any other year he played.

I see your point. I've been lurking for years, so I know exactly what you're talking about.

But it seems my techniques would be better in Total Minors Total Classics. Of course I can't make one of those myself, so I need to assist people on an ongoing mod. Hence the replying to '99 mod.

Nominally, this would be most useful for the 2009 rosters, but my projections are nothing compared to PECOTA, ZiPS, CHONEs, and all the other projection algorithms named after token third basemen. And, until I see how KG or other roster modders run things, I can't propose changes or scripts.

So, I'll just pull back and run my research on empirical ratings. Preliminary results were interesting... I'll post when I have more info.

I see your point. I've been lurking for years, so I know exactly what you're talking about.

But it seems my techniques would be better in Total Minors Total Classics. Of course I can't make one of those myself, so I need to assist people on an ongoing mod. Hence the replying to '99 mod.

Nominally, this would be most useful for the 2009 rosters, but my projections are nothing compared to PECOTA, ZiPS, CHONEs, and all the other projection algorithms named after token third basemen. And, until I see how KG or other roster modders run things, I can't propose changes or scripts.

So, I'll just pull back and run my research on empirical ratings. Preliminary results were interesting... I'll post when I have more info.

Patsen, although your stat compilation process is impressive, you can't assume that others will want to use it. If they ask for them, then by all means share. But don't assume.

I love this thread for it's original purpose, highlighting the amazing work done by the Total Classics team, let's try to revive it [the original purpose].

Another thing to remember is that Spencer was not a regular starter in 1998 (i.e. he came off the bench or started a game here or there). He wouldn't be in the regular batting order, so if you were to sim a season, it's not like he would win the triple crown or run away with the MVP award that season.

The issue you are looking at is one that we do have to deal with when creating mods for much older seasons (before the DH came into effect) or when working with NL teams. Because pitchers can get a small number of at bats (especially relievers), if they come to bat 20 times and get 10 hits, they are hitting .500 so MVPEdit gives them contact ratings of 100.

This is where stecropper's global and individual tweaks come into play because they allow us to address this issue.

Seems like I've created a bit of a stir here. I am looking to focus the attributes on that season alone, but I plan to modify the ratings based on what role they had that season, for example, majority starters would keep their original stats after all the global edits, key bench players would have a 10% reduction, bit part players would be 15% and players who played below 20 games (for field players) would drop by 20%.

I'm not dead set on how I would implement this yet, but I will ensure that bit part players like Shane Spencer won't have stats comparable to guys like Sosa and McGwire..

Seems like I've created a bit of a stir here. I am looking to focus the attributes on that season alone, but I plan to modify the ratings based on what role they had that season, for example, majority starters would keep their original stats after all the global edits, key bench players would have a 10% reduction, bit part players would be 15% and players who played below 20 games (for field players) would drop by 20%.

I'm not dead set on how I would implement this yet, but I will ensure that bit part players like Shane Spencer won't have stats comparable to guys like Sosa and McGwire..

What stir? You did nothing wrong. This is your mod. You make it as you see fit. I don't see this as an issue at all. If you are making a season mod then it should be understood that the player's stats are going to be based on what he did in that particular year, not for his entire career. I think my Dimaggio example from a few posts back explains it well enough. If some guy hit .340 for example in 1998 but in every other year he played he never hit above .280, you can't apply the stats from the other years into that one season mod. It's what the player did in the particular season that is important. That's why you are making a season mod and not a total career mod. That's a huge difference if you think about it.

What stir? You did nothing wrong. This is your mod. You make it as you see fit. I don't see this as an issue at all. If you are making a season mod then it should be understood that the player's stats are going to be based on what he did in that particular year, not for his entire career. I think my Dimaggio example from a few posts back explains it well enough. If some guy hit .340 for example in 1998 but in every other year he played he never hit above .280, you can't apply the stats from the other years into that one season mod. It's what the player did in the particular season that is important. That's why you are making a season mod and not a total career mod. That's a huge difference if you think about it.

Yeah I know, I just didn't want to feel like I was be selfish because although primarily I am doing it for myself, I'm also producing it so everyone else can enjoy the season and I feel that they deserve to at least have a say.

Yeah I know, I just didn't want to feel like I was be selfish because although primarily I am doing it for myself, I'm also producing it so everyone else can enjoy the season and I feel that they deserve to at least have a say.

I am sure that this will end up being a great mod to use. What I would do if I were you is pick the brains of the people who have already made season mods for advice and tips in case you run into any questions along the way. Above all, good luck to you.

If you're not modding primarily for yourself, what's the point?

Don't worry, conflict is good. If no one agrees, nothing ever gets better. The stir was because of me, anyway. If you're writing the mod, then you should choose the method. I, as well as others have made some suggestions on how you can tackle some of these issues, but ultimately, it's up to you.

There was a similar debate on another forum on whether a season replay should really try to recreate everything or try to ignore what actually happened and try to rebuild it from what we knew at the time. Say you have a .500 team, but their bullpen has a great season, and has three sub-2.00 ERA guys, and they bring that team to the WS. If we try to recreate that team, then their bullpen will actually be rated as great, not lucky, so they'll usually make the WS.

But what if you took how the teams looked before the season started, then replayed? Then their bullpen could break out again, or someone else could happen, say someone could give an MVP performance and push their team over... If you already know what the answer should be, why replay it?

Regardless, if you need roster help, I can assist in the stats. I've been looking for a classic mod to apply my material to.

Commenting on Shane Spencer ...

IMO, and speaking from years of making rosters and running leagues going back to Microleague and EWB and extending through Tony and BBPRO to HH, is that you HAVE to be consistent.

If you're claiming that REALISM or RE-CREATING the season is your goal, then:

[1] Make Spencer's ratings as good as his stats.

[2] Only play him in September.

To have him use a "stud's" ratings for the entire season is not realistic nor accurate, and it changes it from a "XXYY mod" to a "fantasy league" or a "What If Season?". Spencer is not a stud, nor was he a stud for that whole season. To recreate that in a MVP mod would be silly.

I'm trying to remember the backs of my old 88 Donrus rated rookie cards, but I believe Gregg Jefferies hit .500 and Jack McDowell had a 1.93 ERA, and I tihnk Mark Grace hit high .300, even though they were just Sept call ups. So, if someone were making an 88 mod (I think one already exists), would they make these 3 guys have ratings that would make them 3 of the top 10 in the game?

Yeah, it's your mod, and you do with it whatever you want. We're just talking. Just keep it consistent. If you're going for realism, go for realism. If you're going for fantasy, go for fantasy.

Edited to add that my tone above likely sounds much more brash than intended. I just didn't/don't want users to run into some of the sme problems we used to when using guys with a small data sample or abbreviated season stats.

Edited by CircleChange11

• 1 month later...

Finally I am very happy to say I'm able to update this thread with another season mod. The last few pages in here got us a little off track, mainly thanks to one person who is not amongst the Mvpmods community any longer.

Piratesmvp04 has released a mod for the Mvp Baseball 2004 game that will update that game to the 2009 baseball season. The rosters are accurate up to April 25th of this year. There are updated stadiums, player portraits and uniforms to reflect the 2009 season.

I played a game just now and captured some screenshots to get a feel of this mod and I'll be honest with you, it did not even take me that long to really enjoy it. This is a wonderful mod. Here are some views, questions and opinions I thought of while I was playing:

...The stadiums and uniforms look top notch. Although like in the 08 mod I think there are too many fantasy uniforms for each team. I like the retro stuff much better.

...I like the datafile and camera views that I saw.

...Excellent choice for the Jukebox. Not one complaint about the song list.

...The overlay is fine, but I will be changing it as soon as possible. The only reason for that is I personally can't stand the FOX Network, so I don't want to see their logo. That's all.

...Will the rosters be updated over the course of the year?

...Good looking photos used for the loading screens.

...What's the obsession with Jay Bruce?

NOTES: If you want this mod right now, you can download it from this site right here. This is only a temporary link because it will eventually be put back on EAmods. The file on Eamods had a CRC error in it and it did not extract fully. My guess is that you can download this mod once again at EAmods either later today or tomorrow.

Don't forget, there's a huge MVP 2004 section right here on this site where you can a lot more mods for this game. More uniforms, overlays and CTS screens.

And one more reminder, this MVP 09 version is not to be confused with the upcoming MVP 09 version for Mvp 05. This mod is to be used for the 2004 game with Albert Pujols on the cover.

Remember this is the 2004 version of the game and if you try to put in KATIE ROY in the game to unlock everything it will NOT WORK. But don't worry, there's another code that will do the exact same thing. Create a player named NICK ROY and save it. Then you'll have all the stadiums, uniforms and players.

MOD SCREENSHOTS

Zach Duke retires Aubrey Huff in the first inning

Speedy Nyjer Morgan reaches first safely as the O's are unable to complete a double play.

Greg Zaun gets a hold of one off Zach Duke.

Brian Roberts tries to bunt to get on base and the Bucs barely throw him out.

Baltimore forces out the lead Pittsburgh runner on an unsuccessful sacrifice bunt attempt.

The Pirate dugout cheers for Nate McClouth after he hits a two run double.

Close play at the play, and he's out.

2004 Continued

Jack Wilson of the Pirates, always a steady player for them.

Call strike three!

Jeremy Guthrie of Baltimore delivers a pitch.

There's action in the Baltimore bullpen.

PNC Park in Pittsburgh.

Time for a pitching change.

Aubrey Huff goes down swinging for the final out of the game as Pittsburgh wins a slugfest, 11 - 8.

Next is Total Classics Phase 10, which is the latest installment of the popular Total Classics series. You can download this mod on this site by clicking on this link. Among the differences between Phase 9 and Phase 10 is the addition of the 1933 New York Giants, over fifty updated portraits, seven updated stadiums and roster tweaks. The rest of the changes can be seen on the file description page of the link I provided.

Today's game in Total Classics Phase 10 is between the 1942 Browns and the 1946 Tigers.

A stolen base off of Hal Newhouser in the second inning.

Browns first baseman George McQuinn drives home St. Louis' second run with a single.

Elden Auker pitching for the Browns today. Auker went 14-13 in 1942.

George Kell singles up the middle against Auker.

Birdie Tebbetts sacrifices a runner over to second for Detroit.

Total Classics Phase 10 Continued

Play of the game for St. Louis as they tag out an unlucky Tiger runner as he tries to get back to third base.

Birdie Tebbets flys out to deep right against Auker in the later innings.

Here's a hidden player in Total Classics, thanks to Fuzzone.

Hoot Evers is safe at first on this wild throw by Vern Stephens as the Browns are unable to turn the double play.

Chet Laabs of the Browns is shown here as he doubles to drive home the eventual game winning run for the Browns.

Hank Greenberg strikes out to end the game against George Caster of the Browns.

This video here shows you what happened two batters before Greenberg came up to bat: This is as close as the Tigers got.

Final score, St. Louis 4, Detroit 3. Another huge thanks to the Total Classics team of modders.