Tywiggins Roster Editor

Wicked420

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Charging for a damn editor, what the hell? The economy's troubles have either hit Tywiggins really hard, Spungo has gotten too deep into his skull, or, if people actually pay for this, the economy is not too hard off.

I have to admit, I don't know what to make of this. Ty's mod's are among the best ever released.

Man I know how hard you work on these, but for lack of a better term you may be charging modders to do roster mods more effectively.

Dude I dunno, however I hope it works out for everyone.

10 bucks is not huge deal, and i sort of get this. Normally if i work on something im doing it for myself and if someone else likes it thats cool, but i started it because i wanted it in the game. Ty is probably not interested in releasing rosters.

I guess this discussion could go on for weeks but I tend to agree with those that state they don't agree with paying for a mod.

I do modding on another site that pertains to another sport simulation. I create soundscripts much like the comments you hear in 2k9 from Gary Thorne and Steve Phillips....This script (for a golf simulation) requires an inordinate amount of my time just to program all the events that could take place during a round of porfessional golf. Once the events have been determined, then proper sound bytes (taped from actual TV events) must be input that provides the proper comment for the event that has occurred....I can't even begin to determine the amount of hours, weeks, months spent on this project.

I mention this only to position the effort required to provide a script worthy of the simulation.....I have done this now for over 5 years and over 6000 copies have been downloaded without charge.

I chose not to require payment because I look upon this effort as a hobby which provides me a great deal of enjoyment which I elected to share with others.

That personal decision doesn't make me right and those that charge for their work to be wrong but I do feel simulation like this and other sport sims are for enjoyment and anything that makes the enjoyment better for others is what these simulations are all about.

To each his own.... but IMO once modders charge for their work it can quickly become a question of which mod is determined to be so important to justify payment while others do not.

As for me as much as I respect the work done in this particular instance I elect to pass and will continue to wait for roster updates as they become available.

Someone should have sent rglass this memo a while back when he was making MVPEdit 2004.

1. I've heard that rglass did get a fair amount of donations to fund his work.

2. MVP's roster files are text files. (besides hist.dat) So anyone with half a brain can edit it in notepad.

MLB2K9's roster files are not text files. It takes much more time to figure stuff out.

I don't see the understand all the fuss. I don't see this as a mod but more as a tool like photoshop or whatever. tywiggins has a skill that can't be learned overnight. Let him get paid for his work.

It's funny that most people don't have a problem profiting from modder's work on ebay or amazon.

I don't see the understand all the fuss. I don't see this as a mod but more as a tool like photoshop or whatever. tywiggins has a skill that can't be learned overnight. Let him get paid for his work.

It's funny that most people don't have a problem profiting from modder's work on ebay or amazon.

I agree. What is a measly $10 to have the power to edit rosters in this game that BADLY needs it, due to the editing limit? Clearly this roster editor was made for the community, not himself. Most of the mods that have been made here, such as stadiums, rosters, etc, couldn't have been created by those who did the modding with or without the mvpmod community - as they wanted it for their own game. I think for those few tools that can revolutionize further modding in a game, a small fee shouldn't be out of the question.

That said, I would probably make this argument more strongly if it the cost was closer to $5, but for a $20 game, $30 total w/ editor still seems acceptable.

Great work Ty...looking forward to the .ros extension update

Co sign, if he can get paid for it then why not.

perhaps this was spoken about on EAmods site, but if he's charging $10 now (which I think is a fair price), will he be charging more for the .ros upgrade?

I think I'll check it out for the trial periods and see if I want to use it or not. Will edited rosters that people create with the editor then be available to download here? Or is the editor only usable on your game and you can't export the results?

perhaps this was spoken about on EAmods site, but if he's charging $10 now (which I think is a fair price), will he be charging more for the .ros upgrade?

I think I'll check it out for the trial periods and see if I want to use it or not. Will edited rosters that people create with the editor then be available to download here? Or is the editor only usable on your game and you can't export the results?

No extra fee for the updates. And I won't raise the price.

You will be able to use rosters edited with my program even if you don't have my program.

thanks for the quick answers, ty.

Does the trial start when you download it or when you first run it?

when you run it. But I think I also made this version expire on May 1st.

I'll probably also occasionally reset the trial period when I release a new version.

This sets a bad precedent in modding, plus its counterproductive. This roster editor isn't going to have a value to everyone, but it would be a very important tool for people that are making rosters for the rest of the community. So now they're being asked to pay for something to do their work. I think it's pretty easy to see that the roster makers are going to all of a sudden want to be paid for their work, since they're going to have to pay for this.

It's not about the amount of money being asked for, it's about the fact that someone is asking for a fee at all. Donations are one thing, but this is not a road the modding community should be going down.

I've been searching everywhere about what can be edited within the franchise file. Anyone know the details. I haven't downloaded it yet.

Question for Ty?

Have you found anything relating to the season schedule? I would love to change start times to the games. The Cubs schedule has almost all their games at home at night which is not realistic.

Archived