I'm F'ing Done

mjvbosox

OK, I think we've all been way too patient with our hopes that we actually have a chance of making this a playable game. After a month of patch nonsense, incessant slider tweaking (which, come on, has really done nothing) roster updates and screaming at 2K, I think we just have to accept that -- since it's not worth a class action suit to get our money back -- this game is for ****. We can only be tantalized by nice graphics for so long.

In my last game, not only was I unable to swing the bat (literally, on any X-2 count, if the pitch was in the zone, the game did not respond to my logitech right stick swing), but my outfielders missed six (6!) fly balls right at them.. and to top it off, in the 8th AND 9th, the comp stole home safely even though Varitek ran halfway up the line and not only tagged the runner but ran THROUGH him. That's twice folks.

I've had it. I don't have it in me to give this game any more of my time. Patch 3 you say? Patch this.

I know. That's 30 days of bottled up frustration coming out right there.. but I mean, can you honestly tell me you've put more time into playing it enjoyably than trying to fix it? In this age of phenomenal video games there really is no excuse. Glad you're having fun man, you must be of the lucky few.

1. Go to local electronics retailer.

2. Proceed to section containing Ps3 consoles. Pick up box.

3. Pick up MLB 09: The Show

4. Proceed to counter

5. Reach into pocket, pay the nice lady at counter $490 +.

6. Go home and enjoy new investment.

Its that easy......seriously

The game definitely has some major issues. You may want to turn off the dynamic landing indicator and make it fixed to the wind doesn't change it, it helps you not miss as many fly balls. Another thing is when a guy is trying to run home, NEVER TRY TO TAG HIM, i learned this the hard way. You have to press the button (6 on dual action controller) and your catcher will block the plate, just hope the ball doesn't pop out of his glove (I haven't had it happen yet to me or the CPU). As for not being able to swing, I have never had that problem in 80 or so games.

I think we will see a patch 3, but who knows really. I know the dev team has been given a list of bugs though.

4. Proceed to counter

It's not that easy, not everyone has $500 lying around to go out and blow on a toy.

How do you turn off the dynamic landing circle: and the one that shows whenever a player throws the ball to a base or another player?

Presentation settings, set dynamic landing indicator to "Locked".

I don't know what you mean on the second one.

I too cannot afford at ps3. I have four kids. I feel good that I was able to provide them with a wii and xbox 360.

I get my baseball fix on the pc. I bought one copy and though it has bugs, it is playable for me. I went back and bought a second copy just in case this is our last pc game...don't want any of my kids to mess up my first copy.

I too treat it like a video game. Some people don't. I guess that's why we are all fourtunate in that we have choices. We can elect to buy it or not. We can elect to buy MLB the Show or MLB 2k9. Or just stick with MVP if that was what you played before.

The other thing is that paying money for something involves risk. I once pay $64 for an xbox 360 game for my son that he did not enjoy. It was $64 that is hard for a family to dish out during these times, but what are you going to do? It's a risk.

4. Proceed to counter

At the 2k forums, 'The Show' is known as "Patch 3".

Unfortunately, it seems once you own 'The Show', you are required to spend A LOT of time at forums for other games talking about how great 'The Show' is.

I do agree with the OP, that I think I've spent as much, if not more, time working on this game than enjoying it. I have said this each of the last 3 years (sk7/8/9). I only purchased it this year because [1] it was $20, and [2] I saw the modders moving to 2k9 ... and well, a 3rd reason ... [3] I'm tired of pitch meter (even on 'The Show'). Too much time spent playing 2k7/8/9 feels like "testing" rather than "enjoying".

I'm to the point now where it plays pretty well, and for some reason I don't near the frequency of bugs/glitchs/mistake that others have pointed out ... but I am worried that I see a "new" one every 7-8 games or so. BUt, I'm also seeing hit variety that I haven't previously seen too.

I had home stolen on me by Jose Reyes. He was a little more than halfway down the line when Yadi had the ball. I pressed button 6, the tag went down ... and safe. If there was a button to tell your catcher to go "all Yogi Berra ape-poop" (i.e. jackie Robinson steal of home), I would have.

I've settled to just accept the game, as is, and just play it for the summer. It's a 7/10 for me, and that's fine for one season/franchise (with injuries off, of course).

The main problem with paying $500 for a PS3 and the Show '09 is that in the end, you're forced to play The Show '09. You could so easily be playing Far Cry 2 or Burnout or something far more entertaining. But anything is better than 2k9.

I know its not easy to shell out 500 for a ps3, I was lucky enough to get one by trading a pair of jordans for it. But there is no point in beating a dead horse, we all know about the bugs that plague this game, so either make the best of it, play mvp or buy a ps3 those are the only options we have as baseball fans and gamers. That's all I was tryin to say.

Im finally getting the tweaks to give me a good baseball game...but I understand the frustration. Btw, I have a ps3 and Have played the show for 2 years now and it too requires a bit of playing around with regarding sliders and things and it has bugs as well.

1. I hate having the ai hit a homer and afterwards still having a runner on second!

2. I hate not being allowed to choose my uniform in franchise play!

3. I hate not having the mods on this site!

4. I hate spending 60-70 bucks for these issues when I can spend 20 for all new issues with 2k!

4. Proceed to counter

recession is a *****.

There are some things you have to do to make this game work. But, after about 100 games, and starting about 5 franchises, I am seeing how to do this, and make it feel like a good game.

1-Turn the dynamic landing indicator to "locked" as mentioned earlier. This is critical.

2-If your fielders become unresponsive on a flyball, just let loose. Then, once they pick back up on the ball, guide them in. Every now and then, you'll miss one. Don't panic. It happens in real life.

3-Yes, press button 6 to tag with the catcher.

4-you must learn how to throw properly, or you will have much frustration. Don't overdo it with the throw meter. Try to release in the green area. Oh, some fielders are just better than others. In late innings, sub in as many better fielders as you can....it makes a difference.

5-Turn off all the cue stuff. The strike zone, the Inside edge crap, download and apply the NO CURSOR mod, the K zone, yada, yada. It makes the game WAYYYYYYYY better.

6-Here's a ptiching tip: Find out as early as you can what pitch or pitches your pitcher has working. This REALLy happens in this game. You may have a guy with a crappy changeup, like 41 or so, and find out that one game, they can't touch the thing for the first time or tow through the lineup. BEWARE,,,,they adjust and will kill it. Then you need to move on to other pitches or sub him. Sometimes, your great fireballer's fastball is just hittable. Try other pitches for a while. move them around in the zone. In a couple of innings, you can try the fastball again, and sometimes it's better, because they aren't sitting on it. The A.I. on this will have the opposing team looking for your best pitches. Make them guess. If the catcher is calling predictable pitches, EFF him, throw what you know will work.

7-watch your pitcher's stamina. As is lowers, they tend to throw more meatball pitches. You'll need to adjust your aim points the more tired he gets.

8-Be patient at the plate. Look for a fastball to hit, don't aim your stick, just hit it. If they are throwing everything outside and low, don't bite unitl they start throwing strikes. Don't swing on 3-0 counts. Only on 3-1 counts when you have a masher up there and get a nice fastball to cream. Take a walk,,,it makes them pitch a little differently.

I could go on, but here's the point. Tweak your sliders, and play this like it's real baseball. The AI on this thing is unreal, if you are patient enough to let it play out. If you stand at the plate and hack like a 4 pack a day smoker, the game will suck. If cannot let the outfielders do a little running on thier own, or get mad when they do miss one, this game will suck. If you use a bunch of guides and cheats and still can't figure out the pitching because you aren't patient enough to work on it, this game will suck. Relax, play it like it WAS a baseball game, tweak when you need to, have fun. This is the BEST baseball game I've ever played.

There are some things you have to do to make this game work. But, after about 100 games, and starting about 5 franchises, I am seeing how to do this, and make it feel like a good game.

1-Turn the dynamic landing indicator to "locked" as mentioned earlier. This is critical.

2-If your fielders become unresponsive on a flyball, just let loose. Then, once they pick back up on the ball, guide them in. Every now and then, you'll miss one. Don't panic. It happens in real life.

4-you must learn how to throw properly, or you will have much frustration. Don't overdo it with the throw meter. Try to release in the green area. Oh, some fielders are just better than others. In late innings, sub in as many better fielders as you can....it makes a difference.

5-Turn off all the cue stuff. The strike zone, the Inside edge crap, download and apply the NO CURSOR mod, the K zone, yada, yada. It makes the game WAYYYYYYYY better.

6-Here's a ptiching tip: Find out as early as you can what pitch or pitches your pitcher has working. This REALLy happens in this game. You may have a guy with a crappy changeup, like 41 or so, and find out that one game, they can't touch the thing for the first time or tow through the lineup. BEWARE,,,,they adjust and will kill it. Then you need to move on to other pitches or sub him. Sometimes, your great fireballer's fastball is just hittable. Try other pitches for a while. move them around in the zone. In a couple of innings, you can try the fastball again, and sometimes it's better, because they aren't sitting on it. The A.I. on this will have the opposing team looking for your best pitches. Make them guess. If the catcher is calling predictable pitches, EFF him, throw what you know will work.

7-watch your pitcher's stamina. As is lowers, they tend to throw more meatball pitches. You'll need to adjust your aim points the more tired he gets.

8-Be patient at the plate. Look for a fastball to hit, don't aim your stick, just hit it. If they are throwing everything outside and low, don't bite unitl they start throwing strikes. Don't swing on 3-0 counts. Only on 3-1 counts when you have a masher up there and get a nice fastball to cream. Take a walk,,,it makes them pitch a little differently.

I could go on, but here's the point. Tweak your sliders, and play this like it's real baseball. The AI on this thing is unreal, if you are patient enough to let it play out. If you stand at the plate and hack like a 4 pack a day smoker, the game will suck. If cannot let the outfielders do a little running on thier own, or get mad when they do miss one, this game will suck. If you use a bunch of guides and cheats and still can't figure out the pitching because you aren't patient enough to work on it, this game will suck. Relax, play it like it WAS a baseball game, tweak when you need to, have fun. This is the BEST baseball game I've ever played.

A lot of good points made here

I would also state that, also like real baseball, being effectively wild on the bump is a good thing. Pitchers that are around the plate too much, get hit quite a bit. Changing speeds is a key in this game. Offspeed in fastball counts, fastball in offspeed counts, but never establishing a preditable pattern.

Changeups are very effective, but overuse decreases their effectiveness.

Also, if you're gonna throw a fastball up, make sure it is UP UP. Don't be afraid to throw back-to-back low curveballs. As in real life, after you throw a deuce, the hitter/AI seemingly thinks "well, now he's coming with heat" ... just make sure it's down and out of the zone ... bounce it if you have to.

I appreciate that you can actually throw the ball by hitters, even in the zone ... if they're not "looking for heat".

The pitching on this game, using the total controls, is where it's at. As a former pitcher, it's what keeps me playing.

Start your pitches in the zone, end em out of the zone and vice-versa.

Once you're ahead of the hitters, they are at your mercy.

Thanks for posting this, agree with everything you said. Especially about the pitch counts and the sliders.

don't aim your stick, just hit it

That's what SHE said :p (Sorry couldn't resist)

4. Proceed to counter

Brilliant! lol! love it.

I too cannot afford at ps3. I have four kids. I feel good that I was able to provide them with a wii and xbox 360.

I get my baseball fix on the pc. I bought one copy and though it has bugs, it is playable for me. I went back and bought a second copy just in case this is our last pc game...don't want any of my kids to mess up my first copy.

I too treat it like a video game. Some people don't. I guess that's why we are all fourtunate in that we have choices. We can elect to buy it or not. We can elect to buy MLB the Show or MLB 2k9. Or just stick with MVP if that was what you played before.

The other thing is that paying money for something involves risk. I once pay $64 for an xbox 360 game for my son that he did not enjoy. It was $64 that is hard for a family to dish out during these times, but what are you going to do? It's a risk.

Well, the problem with us PC users is that we DON'T have a choice.. thanks to the MLB exclusive rights b.s.

Most of this I was already doing, but I will try out the no cursor mod.. and thanks for the LOCKED tip, great one! And yeah, that button 6 for the catcher wasn't getting me any out calls at the plate either. But I think the biggest frustration for me now is swinging, it seems to work fine sometimes, not at all at others.. I have 2 gig of RAM and 1 gig video ram on a Radeon 3600HD card.. if I can play BioShock at 1280x1024 with no lag or frame rate probs, then I should be able to play this at 800x600 without any either. I'm beginning to wonder if my logitech controller is shot...

Anyway, thanks very much for taking the time to let me know about this stuff. Appreciate it!

Archived