Where To Go With "Legends From The Booth"

OTBjoel

Where do we take this mod  

16 members have voted

1. 1. If you had your choice, would you rather

• Have only Vin Scully do play-by-play and have someone like Dave Campbell do color (too many cooks in the kitchen)
    • Eventually try to do both projects but put the priority on the 3-man booth setup.
    • I like the direction you are going with right now, just finish it!
    • I really don't play MVP anymore, you are probably wasting your time.

I'm trying to realistically figure out how interested folks still are about this mod project. I'm spending 3-5 hours a day so it's taking quite a bit of time on it. Compared to the same topic started by others who only talked about doing it, there doesn't seem to be as much enthusiasm when I took this on. I have to retroactively apologize for not being more communicative in the past with the community. It's just on here as in life, I tend to have tunnel-vision when working on things and do have pretty stern opinions on how something should be done. However, it is this same trait that allows me to get things done. I had help on this project earlier but most everybody has "tapped out" and I'm now flying solo.

Maybe I should have done this poll earlier to get more people involved. However, I found in my e-mail conversations that when you try to please everybody, you end up satisfying nobody including yourself and the result just comes out half-baked and doesn't really do it for anybody (think politics-healthcare).

Anyway, I thought back to earlier discussions about how some people might want to have less dominating personalities doing color. I know the original MLB game had Dave Campbell doing color and so there's plenty of audio samples from which to get it from. The other problem however, is that to duplicate most of the audio in MVP, I really do need to pull from both Vin Scully and Ernie Harwell. There are some PBP calls that Vin simply does not have that I can get from Ernie. Most of this is "in action" type of descriptions that Vin doesn't do. Most of the audio that Vin and Mel Allen have is "results" based.

I also need to get an idea of how many people are still interested in this project. Like I said, it's taking a lot of time and I'm doing it donation-free. A friend of mine reminded a while ago, if you're gonna do it anyway, don't worry about getting anything back... "Build it and they will come".

I do love this project you're doing. Especially for the addition of Ernie Harwell to the game and if I had my druthers, it would be mostly Ernie all the way.

is there any way to get some of Ernies signature calls into the game like "called out for excessive window shopping" or "stood there like the house on the side of the road" for called third strikes?

just wanted to say thanks for what youve done

I do love this project you're doing. Especially for the addition of Ernie Harwell to the game and if I had my druthers, it would be mostly Ernie all the way.

is there any way to get some of Ernies signature calls into the game like "called out for excessive window shopping" or "stood there like the house on the side of the road" for called third strikes?

just wanted to say thanks for what youve done

Interesting you should ask about good 'ol Ernie. I am adding more and more Ernie everyday. Originally, he was supposed to just do some color but I need him for his descriptive PBP as well. I added "stood there like the house on the side of the road" in a few spots today. I'll get in the window shopping call also. Just found it in the audio library. I've sneaked in a couple of Harry Carey calls as well.

OTBJoel, I think what you are doing with this mod is just fine. Let me give you some advice if you don't mind. Finish this mod exactly the way you want to do it because all of us that have been following this ever since you began this know how long and hard you have worked on this and also the updates you have given us for download have been great. They really improve the game.

There are a lot of people still playing Mvp and when this is finally finished it is going to make Mvp sound like a new game. Do it just the way you want to. This is your mod.

I have already replaced all the original announcers with what you have done so far in all of my classic seasons. It is an A+ grade from me. Keep doing what you are doing-Some Harry in there is great too.

Joel - Please keep going with this mod. I will definitely use it! As I've said a number of times, no game will ever have Classic mods to the level we have with MVP, mainly because we had the 4 year gap between release of MVP2005 and MLB2K9 for the PC. Over time, I can see MVP being played mainly by classic enthusiasts.

Like others, I think that you should continue on the path you started. Changing now is just going to be a step back and will push back your completion date.

OTBJoel, I think what you are doing with this mod is just fine. Let me give you some advice if you don't mind. Finish this mod exactly the way you want to do it because all of us that have been following this ever since you began this know how long and hard you have worked on this and also the updates you have given us for download have been great. They really improve the game.

There are a lot of people still playing Mvp and when this is finally finished it is going to make Mvp sound like a new game. Do it just the way you want to. This is your mod.

I co-sign this. You're doing a great job thus far, and, quite frankly, it is your mod. You've more than gained enough respect and trust from the community for anyone who wants this mod to know that you'll make enlightened and educated decisions on what the best end result would be for the mod. Whatever you decide is best probably is the best, and if it's not, it'll be damn close.

Just a side-note - I voted for "I like the direction you are going with right now, just finish it!", but I don't want to impart any sense of false urgency. Everyone knows real-life has to take precedence over mods, and sometimes we all get burnt out when making mods. Whenever you are done making the mod, there will be people here ready, willing and able to download it. And every single one of them should also be ready, willing and able to thank you profusely for the hard work you've already undertaken, as well as the work you'll do in future.

Thanks Joel.

• 3 months later...

OTBjoel, do you have tywiggins' MVP index file?

I love your commitment to this project, but I'm looking to just put in Vin Scully. I'm starting to think that even the color commentary is too much. In fact, I've been playing Professional Baseball Spirits 6 on the PS2. Since it's in Japanese, I stripped out all the commentary and it's been a nice change of pace. I think just some play by play from Vin will be the perfect amount of commentary.

And thanks a bunch for your indexing. You did a great job.

OTBjoel, do you have tywiggins' MVP index file?

I love your commitment to this project, but I'm looking to just put in Vin Scully. I'm starting to think that even the color commentary is too much. In fact, I've been playing Professional Baseball Spirits 6 on the PS2. Since it's in Japanese, I stripped out all the commentary and it's been a nice change of pace. I think just some play by play from Vin will be the perfect amount of commentary.

And thanks a bunch for your indexing. You did a great job.

This thing is actually farther along than you think. The last update available from this website is here:

http://www.mvpmods.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=5496

More recent updates you can get directly from me by subscribing to my mailing list. If anybody wants to help with the logic of indexing Vin Scully back to the original MVP files, pull the attached files. Its got the original Ty Wiggins spreadsheet along with additional columns for which calls got replaced by Scully/Allen/Harwell.

If anybody just wants a file with Krukow blanked out, find my first iteration called the "No Krukow phase".

VinIndex1.7z

Thanks,OTBjoel. I didn't mean that the color commentary is too much work for you to do. I just meant that it's too much talking in the game for me. In my opinion, it starts to become distracting and take away from the gameplay.

But the attached file is just the Vin index. I can't see where the MVP files are indexed.

Thanks,OTBjoel. I didn't mean that the color commentary is too much work for you to do. I just meant that it's too much talking in the game for me. In my opinion, it starts to become distracting and take away from the gameplay.

But the attached file is just the Vin index. I can't see where the MVP files are indexed.

There should have been a file in the archive called full (version 1) or something like that. That's the original Ty Wiggins spreadsheet with some additional notes.

Archived