Directv Versus Dish Network

Hello all.

I am looking at getting satellite TV, and I am hoping to hear from people that have DirecTV and people who use Dish Network. Or anybody that may have had both and can compare/contrast them, of course! :)

From my research I've already done - it seems that the two services are pretty similar, but prices vary:

Dish Network, America's Top 120-plus, HD added = $39.99/month for first year, then $49.99 (I think), 2 TV's (one HD, one regular).

DirecTV, Choice Package, HD added = $44.99/month for first year, then $54.99, then $68.99, 2 TV's (one HD, one regular).

So - as I said above, I'd love to hear from people that have either of these to see what your feelings are.

Dish seems to have the edge on price - but not sure about service.

(EDIT: Any thoughts on AT&T U-Verse?)

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Raptor, I have had DirecTV since 2002. Before that we had Dish Network but we switched to DirecTV eight years ago because Dish would not carry the YES Network. They still don't. Now that won't mean anything to you. But if you want to get sports packages like the NFL Sunday ticket come September, DirecTV has it. You also can get the MLB package right now from DirecTV.

Sports is the big difference between these two companies I would have to say and that is why I am a DirecTV customer.

Raptor, I have had DirecTV since 2002. Before that we had Dish Network but we switched to DirecTV eight years ago because Dish would not carry the YES Network. They still don't. Now that won't mean anything to you. But if you want to get sports packages like the NFL Sunday ticket come September, DirecTV has it. You also can get the MLB package right now from DirecTV.

Sports is the big difference between these two companies I would have to say and that is why I am a DirecTV customer.

Thanks. I checked and saw that MLBtv is included in DirectTV's package, but not in Dish Networks, but both packages include all the ESPN's and both of them have FoxSportsMidwest - which is the channel that carries about 90% of Cardinals games. So really, only MLBtv is an issue for me, but I can live without it.

How is the service itself?

And how badly does weather REALLY effect satellite TV?

I got DirecTV back in 1996. Cost like $599 for 2 rooms back then. lol

Anyway, I loved it, and never really had an issue with it. My wife (then G/f) never really liked it for some reason, after she moved in back in 2005.

Then, about 3 years ago DISH offered a great deal, and my dad switched over at his house. It was great. I switched over about 2 weeks later and have never looked back.

Yes, no MLB channels sucks, but like you said, I can live without it. Not worth switching back IMO.

One thing I have enjoyed is the ability to watch other teams in my region for free. On DirecTV, I had to buy the sports channel package to be able to see Reds/Tigers games on their respective sports channels. On Dish, I can see these games on the sports "alternate" channels, which are included.

Now, teams out of my region are all blacked out, but that is the norm. Both of them include your local sports network (CSN Chicago here), so I get Cubs/Sox games regardless.

Honestly, to me, I'd take DISH over DirecTV any day at this point, for baseball (other than the MLB network thing).

There are more professional sports packages on DirecTV though (I think the NFL network is only on DirecTV, but I don't watch that much NFL outside the Bears anyway).

I never really had any issues with the service of either one. Rain only really effects it when it is REALLY coming down here. Wet snow does on occasion (when it sticks to the surface of the dish, and then you just have to knock it off... And this is RARE... Only had to deal with it 3 times tops, in all the years I have had a dish)

I have looked into AT&T U-Verse as well, but it seems a tad higher priced than the others, and I don't know what it does so much better to earn that extra money. Anybody else have any thoughts on the DirecTV vs Dish Network vs U-Verse argument?

Archived