Site Closing

Trues

Wow what a shock. I wish we could have had more advance notice but I understand the situation. Thanks for all you've done Trues, your site will be truly missed.

Now to respond to 112155's last post. Vin Scully and Legends from the Booth was so close to being done. I was hoping for a Christmas release but to ensure thoroughness, I want to wait until Spring Training '2011.

IF YOU WANT A REALLY COOL CHRISTMAS PRESENT, E-MAIL ME IN THREE WEEKS AND THE MOD WILL BE 95% DONE. Hit me at joeld@adventresources.com

Moving to the future. I also want to thank MVP Caribe for stepping up. I was hoping that somebody would step and was considering taking on the task myself with some of the guys from Total Classics but I don't have to. We live in a global community and it's so nice to see others lifting us up as well. Great job, MVP Caribe. I just checked out the site and I think us MVP'ers will be just fine.

Long live the greatest baseball game ever developed (and I've played most of them).

Thanks for the words OTBjoel, We'd like to have your Legends from the Booth mod at MVP Caribe since I have been following it since day 1, it would be really cool if you could to that.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't know what to say. One thing for sure, I will always remember MVPMods and the joy it put in my life. Always. There are a LOT of heroes out there. Top of the list Trues for getting the whole thing going. What a great experience it was. Sadly, I just finally burned out on MVP...and like Trues have taken up TheShow. What potential that game has.

Thanks to...

AlexTony

SteCropper

Jim

Yankee4Life

SeanO

...and my mentor and friend Stuart.

I'm sure I'm forgetting someone. It's been awhile for me and life moves on.

THANK YOU!! :( :)

I really don't know what to say. One thing for sure, I will always remember MVPMods and the joy it put in my life. Always. There are a LOT of heroes out there. Top of the list Trues for getting the whole thing going. What a great experience it was. Sadly, I just finally burned out on MVP...and like Trues have taken up TheShow. What potential that game has.

Thanks to...

AlexTony

SteCropper

Jim

Yankee4Life

SeanO

THANK YOU!! :(:)

Paul, thank-you for introducing me to advanced statistics. Without you, my rating calculators--and specifically the split estimator portion of the batting rating calculator--wouldn't be as good as they are today.

I posted this earlier, but I'll post it again in case it was looked over.

The site closing has been put on hold for now. I'm working with someone on a possible solution to help keep the site together (or most of it anyway). I can't promise anything, but I want to at least try and keep the forums and most of the downloads in tact. Stay tuned.

Thanks, trues, for the site.

Thanks for keeping it open and alive as long as you did.

I didn't contribute too often but I did enjoy the site immensely. Where else will I get my random thoughts on Sunday mornings? Or my fix on Caturday?

Thanks again!

p.s. Why do I get the sudden feeling that, starting next week, the prices of MVP 05 on ebay will start dropping quickly?

Thanks to...

AlexTony

SteCropper

Jim

Yankee4Life

SeanO

To me, this says a lot. When an important member and modder of this website takes the time to personally thank you then I know I must have done something right in my six years here as opposed to what the unsilent minority want you to believe.

Thank you paulw.

Thanks PaulW-Not sure why i'm included with some of the others mentioned. I contributed financially from time to time. But I have no modding experience. Thanks anyway. Trues-I hope so, my heart sank when I first heard. Joel I put your email in a folder in case I need it. Thanks. I look at this site probably 10-15 times a day.

Pshew, I can't believe it. I hoped I'd never see the day, though I knew I would. And still it hits me like a sucker-punch. Well I can certainly say that it was a good ride while it lasted. This has been the most successful online community I have ever been a part of. Like every worthwhile experience in life, MVPMods.com had its highs and lows but when it was good, it was great. Time to raise a glass and thank all who made this site run as well as it did for as long as it could. Long live MVP Baseball! :drinks:

thanks to anyone who contributed to this site whether you modded, moderated, downloaded, or just talked baseball or about life. i came here around the time the MVPMods were getting popular, and got hooked on it so easily. it made one of the best baseball games i ever played into the best baseball game ive ever played. if i wasnt on my macbook id still have MVP up and running to this date. i used to live on this website, as you can see on the post count. ill try to keep up with you guys on the other site as well, but heck it was a great time on MVPMods. thanks for the great site and effort Trues.

Thanks PaulW-Not sure why i'm included with some of the others mentioned. I contributed financially from time to time. But I have no modding experience. Thanks anyway. Trues-I hope so, my heart sank when I first heard. Joel I put your email in a folder in case I need it. Thanks. I look at this site probably 10-15 times a day.

You were a great fan of the game. Someone always so appreciative of the work we did. It was good guys like you who really made me happy when our work made you happy.

You were a great fan of the game. Someone always so appreciative of the work we did. It was good guys like you who really made me happy when our work made you happy.

Damn Paul, i don't think there is anyone out there that didn't appreciate the amazing stuff you guys did. I HATED MVP, and was so stuck in my High Heat ways. I wouldn't even give it a second look (played it a few times back when it first came out)... Then 2 years ago I saw a screen shot of the game posted over at sim central. I couldn't believe how good it looked. I came over here, checked it out, and it blew my mind what you guys were doing. The unis, the stadiums... Damn... I only wish I could had more luck with the stadiums I tried.

And Paul, not to try and knock any of the other stadium modders (because they were all cool in my book), but you seemed like one of the nicest, most down to earth people I ever dealt with. I loved using your work.... And while I doubt it ever gets finished, the fact that you said I could use your work in my All Time Mod really made my day.

Thank you PaulW. I do love this game because what you guys did with it. growing up in the 60's was a fun time. being able to play the classic mods that remind me of that time helps me to escape for a brief time to that era. Many of us classic lovers are still kids at heart when it comes to this game. maybe we wish life was as simple as this time. By the way, I saw chasing 3000 the other night-has anyone seen this movie. Made me get teary-eyed. Again, thanks to all of you. You're the greatest.

I know, I don't always post on the site as often as I once did but I joined the site, I think around 2003/2004 when MVP Baseball 2004 was still fresh. I met a lot of the guys who helped make this site in the beginning from the High Heat message boards back in the day and although I came from a totally different avenue (I used to make mods for the Triple Play series), we grew to respect each other and help each other out in this ambitious endeavor by posting in the forums, uploading stuff and visiting the site regularly. The site took a life of it's own and ultimately entered a "golden age" when it became pretty much one of the only sites you can get MVP Baseball mods from and eventually when the site managed to be mentioned in a mainstream magazine. That's when I knew we were onto something big and we were going to have a huge following.

You know, I'll share something with you guys: When I started modding, I was 12. I made uniforms for Triple Play 2001 and then Triple Play Baseball. I was just a 15 year old punk when I registered as a member on this site.

I am 23 years old now.

I pretty much grew up with MVPMods.

Up until I guess, 2 years ago, I was a very frequent poster and modder but ultimately I lost interest in MVP Baseball. I bought a PS3, put money down for a fresh copy of MLB 08: The Show and haven't exactly turned back since. I had college to take care of, a girlfriend to occupy any time I could have spent modding anything, and being unable to remain in the loop in regards to happenings in MLB with respect to my hometown team, the Yankees, everything ended up stack on top of each other and I just stopped posting for a long time.

Hearing that there is a possibility that this site is closing is very unfortunate and I audibly let out an emphatic F bomb, but I'm well aware that it's been a looming shadow over this site for a long time since the series has been kept on indefinite hold thanks to the jerks at 2K Sports and MLB handing them exclusive third party licensing rights. While they have attempted to create a solid product and have stumbled along the way, despite being 5 years out, a lot of people have made MVP Baseball 2005 the greatest PC baseball game ever made, including myself for a short time. It's been one hell of a ride, and if this is the way the site will bow out into internet lore, then damn, this might as well have been the best site I have ever visited on the web that's been relevant to my interests, and I owe it all to you members and fellow veteran posters for making it a fantastic experience.

But I can't forget one man. One man who took the initiative when the planets were aligned for this site to come into existence and fill a void other sites left for MVP Baseball.

Thank you Trues.

Thanks to you, I have met many interesting people on this site and have formed amazing friendships here. That's something I can't forget. You are the man, and should we ever cross paths in real life, I owe you a beer, but a *BROFIST* more than anything. I know I speak in terms of "we" even though this isn't my site, personally. I'm not responsible for server upkeep or anything like that, but since I registered on the site from the very beginning since Day 5 or something like that, I've have seen it all. From the fights, discoveries of new modding techniques, to the bannings, and having unique posters come and go. MVPMods will always hold a very special place in my heart to me.

Very well said, as always, KC.

I'm glad to see that Trues and some annonymous benefactor might be working to "save" the site - but the general state of decline of MVP Baseball is unfortunate.

Of course - I play The Show practically every day, so it's hard not to feel like a part of the problem rather than the solution. lol.

Trues and all the staff all the way back from the when I first registered (carter, five, MarkB, Y4L, etc) through the days when I was staff as well (DJEagles, Jim, Sean O, tebjr, Maestro... and, of course, HFLR) all the way through the staff manning the site today... all of you did a fantastic job at all times keeping a community running that at times produced some outlandish and peculiar drama.

How egos managed to get as big as they did in a community built surrounding a video game is a bit concerning to me for the future of humanity - but nonetheless - the site was run as best as it could be and it provided me and countless others with endless hours of joy and entertainment.

Not only the community-produced mods that helped keep MVP05 relevant 5 years later - but the site, the forums, and the people populating them. What a fantastic community this turned out to be - faults and all.

Thanks again, Trues - and good luck with whatever you've got going on that might extend the site's life a little further.

I may have to put this decision on hold for a while. I was offered some help from someone I know that just might help keep this place (or at least most of it). I can't make any promises, but we'll see.

That's great to hear Trues, I guess i'll keep posting my franchise here until further notice. :drinks:

Thanks to...

AlexTony

SteCropper

Jim

Yankee4Life

SeanO

THANK YOU!! :(:)

Thank you Paul. Collaborating with you on parks was some of the most fun I've ever had.

Update:

I may be able to transfer the forums and some of the downloads to a much smaller (and affordable) server. In other words, it would be a slimmed down version of what we have now. It would make things much more manageable on my end, plus, we could do away with subscriptions entirely and go back to donations only.

Now, my question to you all, would this be worth the effort?

My opinion... While MVP is falling fast, it is still alive and well in some areas (Total Classics, and Caribe), and it would suck to lose everything that has been put together on this site. To be able to save the 05 mods, and the 05 information (and anything pertaining to it, for example, say in the modders den) would be a great thing. Then in another year or two, if things continue to trend downward, and it starts to look like the game is officially dead, the move to close it down can be taken at that point.

Plus, that gives people time to put everything they want or need for themselves into order in their own collection, or in their own data base.

Update:

I may be able to transfer the forums and some of the downloads to a much smaller (and affordable) server. In other words, it would be a slimmed down version of what we have now. It would make things much more manageable on my end, plus, we could do away with subscriptions entirely and go back to donations only.

Speaking from a solely selfish point of view, I would LOVE to see at least the downloads preserved in some form or fashion. I've downloaded a good bit in my brief time here, but there is SO much more I'd like to get, but just never did, always thinking 'eh, i'll get it later'.

In any case Trues, you've gone well above & beyond the call of duty for this site & the game...whatever you decide is fine by me, and you'll have my continued support.

Update:

Certainly seems worth it to me.

But, honestly, I think the decision for YOU should hinge upon your financial commitment to it.

If you're basically uninterested in this site, for the most part - If it were me, I wouldn't want to spend more than a small amount on it. Especially if TheShowAlliance.com continues to grow and requires more upkeep/financial commitment. (Of course, without the need for much of a downloads section, bandwidth and server space at TSA should be MUCH smaller than MVPmods ever was).

Anyway - bottom line: If it's worth it to you, it's certainly worth keeping it around to support the lingering MVP community - and, of course, the Classics and Caribe guys.

Just my two cents.

Certainly seems worth it to me.

But, honestly, I think the decision for YOU should hinge upon your financial commitment to it.

If you're basically uninterested in this site, for the most part - If it were me, I wouldn't want to spend more than a small amount on it. Especially if TheShowAlliance.com continues to grow and requires more upkeep/financial commitment. (Of course, without the need for much of a downloads section, bandwidth and server space at TSA should be MUCH smaller than MVPmods ever was).

Anyway - bottom line: If it's worth it to you, it's certainly worth keeping it around to support the lingering MVP community - and, of course, the Classics and Caribe guys.

Just my two cents.

Raptor has a good point, I would say more than the mods, it's the information in the forums that is truly the most valuable.

Update:

I don't see any downside for us. It's really up to you. I'm sure we would all love to see the site continue.

Also, for downloads could we host them on a site like MegaUpload and then link to them? Wouldn't that be cheaper?

i'd say that if we can keep the forums in archive somehow, it would be nice to keep it up as a library. that way the history isn't lost and people can still search them for tutorials and common questions. we can find other avenues to do discussions and downloads. i don't see a point in having to up keep the site when you have a new one to concentrate on.

Archived