Welcome to MVP Mods
Welcome to MVP Mods, like most online communities, you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry, this is a simple, completely free process that requires just some information from you to signup. Be a part of MVP Mods by signing in or creating an account. Get access to over 5,000 modifications for MVP, MLB 2K and High Heat Baseball FOR FREE! Become an amazing part of our online community to discuss baseball! Participate in the Shoutbox on our front page!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2011 Rosters

274 posts in this topic

Posted

i wanted to wait until i got close to finishing, but anyway, i am working on 2011 rosters. i did some calculating, and i estimated that it will take at the fastest about 4 months to finish this by myself. right now im just going through putting players on the right teams. if you have any idea of how to use mvp edit and want 2011 rosters and want to help speed this process up feel free to post and offer to help, because god knows i need it to get it done in a reasonable amount of time. again, i was just going to do this for myself, but decided theres alot of other people that would like 2011 rosters. but i DO need ALOT of help to get this done in a reasonable amount of time because im neck deep in college right now, and i only have about an hour a day of free time most of the time, so that doesnt leave me with alot of time to work on these. i decided to do this, because i wanted 2011 rosters bad enough, and also decided to start playing mvp again, i do have the drive to get this done, just not enough free time. if you want to or would be able to help in any way possible, scouting reports, roster moves, ect, feel free to post.

EDIT: I will wait to set lineups as long as i can, and will be doing stats based off of last season.

Teams that need to be done:

AL East: Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Jays, Rays, Orioles - Playball335

AL Central: Royals, Twins, White Sox, Indians, Tigers - SESbb30

AL West: Rangers, Angles, Mariners, Athletics - SESbb30

NL East: Braves, Nationals, Phillies, Mets, Marlins - SESbb30

NL Central: Cardinals, Reds, Astros, Cubs, Brewers, Pirates - chrisgooverthere

NL West: Padres, Dodgers,Diamondbacks, Rockies Giants - chrisgooverthere

chrisgooverthere

Playball335

Posted

i love to see the community coming together for a cause

Posted

i wanted to wait until i got close to finishing, but anyway, i am working on 2011 rosters. i did some calculating, and i estimated that it will take at the fastest about 4 months to finish this by myself. right now im just going through putting players on the right teams. if you have any idea of how to use mvp edit and want 2011 rosters and want to help speed this process up feel free to post and offer to help, because god knows i need it to get it done in a reasonable amount of time. again, i was just going to do this for myself, but decided theres alot of other people that would like 2011 rosters. but i DO need ALOT of help to get this done in a reasonable amount of time because im neck deep in college right now, and i only have about an hour a day of free time most of the time, so that doesnt leave me with alot of time to work on these. i decided to do this, because i wanted 2011 rosters bad enough, and also decided to start playing mvp again, i do have the drive to get this done, just not enough free time. if you want to or would be able to help in any way possible, scouting reports, roster moves, ect, feel free to post.

I said in the MVP 11 thread that I would be willing to help with a roster, so if if want I could help out with a few teams. All I would need to know is how you are doing the ratings.

Posted

i didnt read that thread sorry roy lol. im not 100% sure right now how im goin to do ratings, im doing some "testing" with certain players like buster posey, and other players that have emerged as stars last season with dylans ratings calculators, and im doing some by eye i guess, but ill most likely use the ratings calculators for most of it, and make changes manually from there if needed.

Posted

hey roy would you be able to work on it for a little bit any time soon? im basically stuck in the library until about 6 or 7 tonight.

Posted

Which teams are you doing? I could take care of the NL Central for ya. Like you, I have the drive, but not the time. Do you use MVP edit? I'll do the teams based on last year's stats and e-mail you the files . . .

EDIT: and like roy said, I would need to know how you're calculating ratings, so that we we can all be consistent

Posted

I can do the AL East. Just confirm we are using 2010 stats and Dylan's calculators. Also, we should use the same source for depth charts (major/minor) so that we do not duplicate players.

Also, are you using a specific roster set as a base?

Posted

Yea, we should probably work off of the same roster base. I recommend Hiheat's 2k rosters . . . it has the latest facepacks.

~Chris

Posted

i already started off KG's 7.31 i only have the braves, yankees, and diamondbacks done but it would be easier to use hiheats like chris said, are those compatible with any models.big? i wasnt even aware that hiheat made rosters lol. and for the ratings it looks like ill be using dylans calculators *for the most part* and i do use MVPedit. at the moment im using MLB.com for the 40 man rosters, and baseball reference for stats. but i would also like to do all the minor leagues if possible also.

EDIT #3: ok, i guess ill go with hiheats rosters and restart tonight, i was planning on pullin an all nighter tonight anyway and working on the rosters all night, so if anyone would like to get started, first to reply will be first to edit, i would like by say 8 pm central time that you send the files to me so i can get crackin hardcore on these.

Also, if you are willing to help, post that you would help and ill make a list on the first post and make a list of what needs to be done.

Posted

Arright dude, I'll do NL central. Don't bother waiting on me to e-mail you the files . . . I'll be able to e-mail you my progress team by team: MVPedit is awesome that way, it allows you to save individual teams.

~Chris

Posted

i wont be able to do any work until at the earliest 6 or 7 pm central so go crazy if you want lol, just keep track of what teams you do.

Posted

:popcorn:

Posted

I have almost finished the Brewers. When I'm finished, I'll e-mail you a team file, and start work on the Reds. However, like you said, its probably not a good idea decide upon the 25 man rosters just yet. Even though the Brewers have 23 of 25 active roster spots set, I'm not certain what Ron Roenike (the Brewer's manager) will settle on for the roster spots, rotation, and lineup. I'll keep my ear to the teams that I'm working on in order to make all of the last-minute adjustments between now and when we release the rosters.

I am optimistic about my ability to not only accurately assess and replicate all of the NL central teams (I follow that division devoutly), but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get all of the NL Central's minor leagues done as well.

While I think we should aim to release the roster 1-2 weeks before opening day, it might be a good idea to "demo" partial rosters in order to get feedback and check for errors.

WE NEED MORE HELP! It takes at least 3 hours to accurately formulate a 25 man roster, research the players and change their ratings. Doing this for all 30 teams and their minor league affiliates is an immense task, so support SESbb30 if you can.

Peace!

~Chris

Posted

hey roy would you be able to work on it for a little bit any time soon? im basically stuck in the library until about 6 or 7 tonight.

Sorry about that, I had to do something last night and I wasnt able to do anything.

I'll do the AL central tonight, and ill try to finish asap. :)

Posted

dont worry about it roy. im going to start the NL East. guys, when you get to a stopping point in your work send the teams your have done to my email, email me at rman216@hotmail.com. again, ratings arent priority for me atm, but if you want to go right ahead.

Posted

dont worry about it roy. im going to start the NL East. guys, when you get to a stopping point in your work send the teams your have done to my email, email me at rman216@hotmail.com. again, ratings arent priority for me atm, but if you want to go right ahead.

so are we redoing the ratings for players, or are we just doing ratings for new players? Both ways are fine, just need to know. :) Also, we are using hiheats as a base right?

Posted

both, and yes we are using hiheats latest rosters as a base.

Posted

both, and yes we are using hiheats latest rosters as a base.

Ok, sounds good.

Posted

yes, hiheat's rosters as the base, we'll make sure to give him full credit, along with everyone else who helped him compose his rosters.

I suppose it would be OK to leave the ratings alone, but I don't recommend it, as some players had monster 2009 seasons but not 2010 and vice vursa. Players who experienced drastic changes in performance include Zack Grienke, Tim Lincecum, and Jose Bautista. Therefore, what I'm going to do is adjust ratings to fit a perceived medium: not exactly in accord with 2010 stats, but leaning heavily upon 2011 predictions. This will allow greater accuracy for players expected to capitalize on their potential (like Buster Posey), players who have experienced a decline of speed and/or production with age (Johnny Damon/Bobby Abreu), and better temper the ratings of players who had monster or disastrous years (Jose Bautista, Pablo Sandoval).

Because I am devoted to calculating ratings which reflect a player's abilities, and not a particular year's production, I try to restrict myself to ratings adjustments of players/teams with which I am familiar. Hence, why I chose the NL Central.

~Chris

Posted

roy if you dont want to do the ratings, thats fine with me, it'll get done one way or another lol.

Posted

roy if you dont want to do the ratings, thats fine with me, it'll get done one way or another lol.

Oh no its fine. I was just wondering how you guys were doing it. :) I will do some teams, I may not go fast, but I'll get some done. :)

Posted

BTW, be careful with Dylan's calculators . . . they have a tendency to over-rate a pitcher's movement on his throws, seemingly giving almost every pitch a "15" rating if a pitcher has a 3.00 ERA or lower. I usually temper this by making sure a dominant pitcher has at least one dominant pitch, and consulting scouting reports to figure out which pitche(s) ought to be rated this way. You can find that web-site here: http://60ft6in.com/

Further, Baseball-reference is probably the most convenient place to find fielding, pitching, and batting stats and splits. http://www.baseball-reference.com/

I figure most of you guys already know this, but I post in case you didn't.

~Chris

EDIT: There is also Cot's Baseball contracts for reference as to how each player is signed. If he is in his arbitration years, I usually tack on another year to his contract length and slightly more than double his total salary. For all other players, I average out the total contract money over the contract length.

Posted

I embarked upon a similar project midway through last season. I was able to update MLB, Triple-A, Double-A, A.L. All-Stars, N.L. All-Stars, A.L. Future Stars, and N.L. Future Stars (not including attribute, appearance, or cyberface updates). But, like SESbb30, I ultimately determined that it was too large (and too dynamic) of a project to complete by myself in a timely manner (with college breathing down my neck).

I have posted a link to MVP_Baseball_2010_(July_17th,_2010).zip (which contains a custom set of References and Rosters) below:

MVP_Baseball_2010_(July_17th,_2010).zip (26 MB)

The custom set of References and Rosters are described in README.txt (in MVP_Baseball_2010_(July_17th,_2010).zip) as follows:

1 ) /References

A ) attrib.xls

Glossary to qualify each parameter and possible value in attrib.dat with a description

B ) Cyberface (Sort by Cyberface).xls

List of MVP Baseball 2005 Cyberfaces sorted numberically by player's cyberface number

C ) Cyberface (Sort by Last Name).xls

List of MVP Baseball 2005 Cyberfaces sorted alphabetically (A to Z) by player's last name

D ) Organization.xls

List of URLs (for current rosters) for each club (MLB, Triple-A, Double-A, or Single-A) represented

2 ) /Rosters

A ) /F (July 17th, 2010)

2010 A.L. Future Stars and N.L. Future Stars (Not Complete)

as of July 17th, 2010

based on MVP Baseball 2005 (Stock), 7.2 for PS2, 7.31 Plus, and 2k10 to MVP rosters

B ) /MLB-AAA-AA-AS (July 17th, 2010)

2010 MLB, Triple-A, Double-A, A.L. All-Stars, and N.L. All-Stars (Complete)

as of July 17th, 2010

based on MVP Baseball 2005 (Stock), 7.2 for PS2, 7.31 Plus, and 2k10 to MVP rosters

C ) /MLB-AAA-AA-AS-F (July 17th, 2010)

2010 MLB, Triple-A, Double-A, A.L. All-Stars, N.L. All-Stars, A.L. Future Stars, and N.L. Future Stars (Not Complete)

/MLB-AAA-AA-AS-F (July 17th, 2010) = /MLB-AAA-AA-AS (July 17th, 2010) + /F (July 17th, 2010)

as of July 17th, 2010

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Posted

Just finished the Brewers today. I'm a little upset that there weren't any scouting reports on Kameron Loe and Zach Braddock, but I think I have a pretty good idea of what these guys are like.

On to the Reds!!!

~Chris

Posted

Can I jump in with you guys? I was going to handle the entire roster, but it may be too daunting of a task. Chris.... we had a guy use the Reds in our league this winter and ALL pitchers were tweaked for type and speed. Some players were adjusted but we limited it (I know Votto was done, probably Bruce too)....

And yes, we based it off of hiheat's roster. I also used these sources:

http://www.mlbdepthcharts.com/2009/02/spreadsheets-at-mlbdepthchartscom.html

http://www.fangraphs.com/players.aspx (for pitch types and current speeds, didn't touch movements though)

http://60ft6in.com/ (to round out pitch types and speeds and to see if any fastballers had movement on a pitch since otherwise all 4 seamers were "0") --- team links at the bottom, but some info. maybe be archival, so take a look.

** I think it's also important to test along the way, i.e., after importing a team each time.

Posted

we could use all the help we can get.

Posted

we could use all the help we can get.

Should I start tackling the AL West? Also, how are we going to avoid possible clone players? That is, if I happen to bring someone up from a AA team and you import to that organization, he may still be on your AA team.

Posted

who sent me the brewers.met, if i didnt make changes to the brewers, and you did, wouldnt that erase any players that were on the brewers in the first place on my end?

Posted

who sent me the brewers.met, if i didnt make changes to the brewers, and you did, wouldnt that erase any players that were on the brewers in the first place on my end?

I did.

Well, it depends upon how you import the team. If you choose "add" then it will merely pile the new players on top of the old, creating duplicates in some cases. If you choose "replace," it will wipe out the former team and only the newly imported players will appear. I recommend you keep several versions of the rosters, including a "master" file which you only change when you finalize team rosters with player ratings. MVPEdit has an annoying habit of saving your changes as you make them, with no undo button . . .

BTW, here is the Brewers team file (.met for MVPEdit) for those of you who would like to playtest it and give me feedback.

EDIT: fixed Zach Grienke's slider, gave him a 2-seam fastball

~Chris

MIL.zip

Posted

In case you guys need/want them:

2010 Speed Ratings.

Posted

well ****, i replace the brewer team then, i havent done anything like that before. :facepalm:

Posted

In case you guys need/want them:

2010 Speed Ratings.

No offense Dylan, but I think I'll pass. While your Pitching, Batting, and Defensive calculators have a certain amount of usefulness, I fail to see the value in these speed calculations. Carlos Gomez, for instance, is widely considered the fastest guy in baseball . . . but he's only given a rating of 85??? Sadly, I don't think there's any possible way to generate an accurate speed rating from the stats. While players like Gomez are insanely quick, they may simply be being reigned in by overcautious managers (former Brewer's manager Ken Macha).

Keep up the good work though! You're efforts in helping to keep the MVP community alive are admirable, and I love your calculators!

~Chris

Posted

I haven't been able to find any reliable sites for MLB players' speeds like they have for the NFL.

Posted

No offense Dylan, but I think I'll pass. While your Pitching, Batting, and Defensive calculators have a certain amount of usefulness, I fail to see the value in these speed calculations. Carlos Gomez, for instance, is widely considered the fastest guy in baseball . . . but he's only given a rating of 85???

Surely, good judgement could be applied in special cases (i.e. known players, typically at the MLB and AAA level). But, DylanBradbury's Speed Calculator will be especially useful for the AA and A levels (for those players we have never seen and/or never heard of).

Posted

No offense Dylan, but I think I'll pass. While your Pitching, Batting, and Defensive calculators have a certain amount of usefulness, I fail to see the value in these speed calculations. Carlos Gomez, for instance, is widely considered the fastest guy in baseball . . . but he's only given a rating of 85??? Sadly, I don't think there's any possible way to generate an accurate speed rating from the stats.

Keep up the good work though! You're efforts in helping to keep the MVP community alive are admirable, and I love your calculators!

~Chris

I actually think my speed formula is the most accurate out of all my formulae. 85 is a pretty high rating, considering he only played 97 games last year, he only had 18 steals, and he's being graded on a curve. (That is, a 100 or 0 ratings are a lot hard to earn than ratings between the two.)

Also, in 2008 his speed rating was 98.

I don't know if you guys realize this or not, but my batting calculator uses my speed formula to calculate speed ratings.

(Also, I'm glad you like my calculators, but I'm done working on them.)

Posted

Should I start tackling the AL West? Also, how are we going to avoid possible clone players? That is, if I happen to bring someone up from a AA team and you import to that organization, he may still be on your AA team.

Clones may be a problem, but I think we can avoid that once every division has a caretaker to keep track of transactions. In other words, each team/division will have someone to take care of incoming and outgoing players. Also, check out this handy dandy site:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/transactions/#month=2&year=2011

It will help us keep track of who to move where, though we'll have to coordinate up until we release the rosters.

Hey SESBB: I think you should put a note next to teams/divisions so that everyone knows which teams/division are being worked on and by whom. Here they are so far as best I can tell:

NL Central (all MLB and minor league teams): chrisgooverthere

AL Central : rroy

NL East : SESBB

AL West: daflyboys

BTW, this is great . . . if we can all follow through with our respective divisions, it will leave only 2 divisions and minor leagues left to do . . . easy as pie to finish by opening day!

~Chris

Posted

Another juicy site for helping keep track of transactions:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?cat=7

~Chris

Posted

do you guys know a good site for line ups, or are you just going by what you think.

Posted

here http://www.mlbdepthc...hchartscom.html

Posted

do you guys know a good site for line ups, or are you just going by what you think.

While getting the starting 9 from depth charts may be easy, figuring out the lineups can be a b---h, especially at thise time of year when managers like to toy with reporters by thinking out loud. I'm actually a disciple of Athlon's yearly baseball preview magazine. It sacrifices fantasy insight for much better research and information into each team's 25 man roster. I highly recommend it: they are about 90% accurate with all 25 man rosters, lineups, bench, rotations, and bullpens.

~Chris

Posted

Depth charts: http://www.mlbdepthcharts.com/2009/02/spreadsheets-at-mlbdepthchartscom.html

Posted

Last question, and I know I'm asking a lot, but for hurt guys that will be on the roster when they are back, are you putting them in AAA or on the Majors team?

Posted

Last question, and I know I'm asking a lot, but for hurt guys that will be on the roster when they are back, are you putting them in AAA or on the Majors team?

Depends how long they'll be hurt. If they'll be out for more than a month, yea, I'll brobably shift them down to a minor league team. This will provide the gamer the ability to keep the player, but off of the MLB team.

~Chris

Posted

of chris, i didnt really want to give heyward a cold spot against right handers, hes got them against lefties, hes WAY worse against left handers.

Posted

of chris, i didnt really want to give heyward a cold spot against right handers, hes got them against lefties, hes WAY worse against left handers.

eh, it was just a suggestion. After all, if you volunteered to edit the NL East, then you probably know way more about it than I do, and I will certainly not question your right to have the final word. I've noticed that the hot/cold zone splits don't make too much of a difference anyway, except they might change the perceptions of the batter vs. pitcher and vice vursa. In that sense, yea, Heyward is probably confident against RHPs, and they probably hate facing him . . . much like the big papi of 5 years ago.

Something that scares me about my playtest though: you know how MVP gives you team ratings of 1-30 in the catagories of pitching, batting, fielding, and running? Well, after editing the Brewers, they came up #1 in pitching and #3 in batting. This is compared against 28 teams that have not been updated since mid 2010 of course, so it will probably change. Still, given my confidence in my ratings, I'm anxious to see how the PC rates the Brewers against teams with probably better pitching staffs (Phillies, Giants), and better offensive lineups (Red Sox, Yankees, Reds?). Still, we'll have to see once the other teams are done being edited.

As a side note, what teams do you guys think will have the best pitching staffs this year? What about lineups and offensive power?

I think the Phillies and Giants will have ridiculously good ERAs, thought he Phillies bulpenn might prove to be a weakness. Offensively, the Reds are really scary, and the Red Sox and Yankees pose their usual perennial threats, but if the Cards stay productive and healthy, they may be the most devastating team of all. Holliday, Rasmus, Berkman, Freese, Theriot, Schumaker, Pujols, and YadyMolina? Yikes . . . there's potential for 160+ homeruns in that group.

~Chris

Posted

Guys, I'm sorry but I am not going to be able to work on this. I am just not going to have enough free time to be able to do it. SESbb I am very sorry because I thought I would have the time but unfortunately I will not. I don't like to start things and not finish, but I'm not going to be able to.

Posted

Guys, I'm sorry but I am not going to be able to work on this. I am just not going to have enough free time to be able to do it. SESbb I am very sorry because I thought I would have the time but unfortunately I will not. I don't like to start things and not finish, but I'm not going to be able to.

No worries Roy, thanks for letting us know. Anyone else willing to work on the AL central?

BTW, as long as we're doing rosters, I wonder if KG is still around and will to pitch in . . .

also BTW, who is capable of doing a schedule????

~Chris

Posted

No worries Roy, thanks for letting us know. Anyone else willing to work on the AL central?

BTW, as long as we're doing rosters, I wonder if KG is still around and will to pitch in . . .

also BTW, who is capable of doing a schedule????

~Chris

I am:

http://www.mvpmods.c...ndpost&p=617494

http://www.mvpmods.c...ndpost&p=617420

http://www.mvpmods.com/index.php?showtopic=45265&view=findpost&p=616890

Posted

i can do the AL Central also, i watch 80+ royals games a year, plus quite a bit of white sox.