Beginners guide?

SoamX

Hey everybody. 

I apologize in advance for my stupidity. I'm a console gamer. MVP Baseball 2005 was my favorite game of all time. I still own my original xbox and mvp is the only disc I have for it, I throw it on every few months just for kicks and giggles but it's hard to get more than a nostalgia play out of it because it's so outdated. I've tried MLB 2k and MLB The Shows newest offerings but the gameplay just doesn't feel right. Don't get me started on the $20 I wasted on RBI Baseball 15 (ugh) 

But I recently came across a grantland article about this community that was keeping the game alive through mods and updates and I would love to check it out however I've found all the information very confusing and overwhelming as I've never done much gaming on the PC (other than Ultima Online and World of Warcraft many years ago) I've seen there are a few FAQs but all seem to be covering more advanced information than I even need at this point as I am just looking to get into it for the first time. 

Do I need to purchase the MVP Baseball 2005 for PC disc? Because I can't find it for sale anywhere except for one auction on eBay that's $50 bucks. (I'd be willing to pay if this is the only route) Is it available digitally anywhere? 

Once I get the game, what should be my next step? Also, is it compatible with a controller (360 or Xbox One?) I have carpal tunnel so gaming with a mouse and keyboard doesn't really work for me.

Thanks for listening, sorry again for the dumb questions. 

Edited by SoamX

I'd really recommend switching over to the PC version of MVP. The old console versions don't have much of a community. I stuck with the console versions for too long and it was frustrating because a lot of things could crash the game.

Unfortunately the game is not available digitally, you kinda just have to look around and snatch up a copy when an inexpensive one pops up.

And it is compatible with modern controllers, I use a wireless 360 controller.

Welcome to the community!

Welcome to MVPMods!  MVP 2005 is not available via digital download.  You will have to buy the discs.  As you can see, it is a bit pricey for a 10 year old game, but that just shows that people are still playing it due to sites like ours.  Once you get the game and install it, you will want to install one of the patches that EA Sports made available for the game.  They are available in our Downloads section.  EA Sports released 5 patches (each patch contains all the changes in the previous patches).  I myself only upgraded to the 3rd patch.  The later two were mainly roster upgrades.

Once you patch your game, you can download and install one or more of the great mods here.  For modern gameplay, you will probably want the MVP14 conversion mod.  That will update everything to 2014.  There are also some 2015 files available (rosters, faces, etc.).  You would need to install these separately until the MVP15 mod is released later this season.

If you have questions, feel free to browse the forums and ask questions.  We were all new here once.

• 1 year later...

This might be a stupid question as well, coming from another mostly console gamer. But how is compatibility between MVP 2005 and newer versions of Windows (8/10)?

This is always my #1 concern with PC anything. Heck, I still keep a Windows 98 Second Edition machine around so I can play Triple Play 2000/2001 and Microsoft Baseball 2000... but someday that will kick the bucket, and I won't know what to do if I start hardcore modding the PC game of MVP 05 (which I'd like to pick up, but which I'm concerned about a bit based on the compatibility issues I've experienced with other old favorites).

Also for PC folk...is it possible to import batting stances from an earlier version in the game if I have both versions? For instance, much has been made of the removed stances for Bonds/M. Williams/M. Vaughn/Knoblauch/E. Martinez/Batista. While the Edgar and Batista are in the game as generic and Knoblauch as Carew, is there anyway to import the Bonds/M. Williams/Vaughn stances in from '03, possibly by even replacing some of the lesser used stances in the game? (one of Berra OR Classic 3 come to mind since they're almost identical, Jackson could be another one (it doesn't really look like his stance anyway), and I'd just need to pick a third...

Edited by SubwayGuy

As far as compatibility, we have an entire thread talking about W10.  It's not the greatest news it seems.  My 2c is partition your HDD or buy a 2nd one and install Win XP on it to run MVP (and TW 08 Golf for that matter).

I don't think things that are coded into past versions are importable to other game versions.  You'll just have to make due.