Fixing the 2015 All Star Game

Kccitystar

ESPN has an article explaining ways that MLB can fix the all-star game for the years ahead. I'm not a big fan of the current system having fans vote within the first month of the season for their picks, but their ideas sound good.

All right, it's time to fix this.

Seven Royals are in line to start the All-Star Game? Holy Balboni. That's an amazing tribute to the fans of Kansas City, who are out there voting for their boys at a rate that computes to 31.6 ballots votes for every man, woman and child in the metroplex -- including newborns -- but ...

They need to know something:

This isn't good. It isn't good for baseball. It isn't good for the All-Star Game. It isn't even all that good for Kansas City in the long run. It's actually a mess.

It's a mess because the game, unfortunately, means something: home-field advantage in the World Series.

It's a mess because it is infuriating way too many residents of the portion of America known as "Not Kansas City."

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/13131162/how-fix-major-league-baseball-all-star-game-vote

What do you guys think?

This won't happen because too many people will cry about it but take the voting completely away from the fans. Set it up so the players, managers and coaches are allowed to decide the starting lineup. Let the AL and NL manager from the World Series the year before pick the reserves.

I don't vote myself. I don't think I am qualified to pick a starting nine because I would be more biased than I am fair. I have never once voted for a Red Sox player. Never. I never even voted for the straight Yankee ticket because there was no way I was casting a ballot for people like Jorge Posada and Robinson Cano.

Most people vote not for the guy that deserves it -God forbid- but for the guy they are familiar with. Remember a few years back in 2013 Derek Jeter was the leading vote-getter for awhile for AL shortstops even though he didn't play in a game? All his name had to do was show up on the ballot and people voted for him. Thankfully J.J. Hardy ended up the starter. If the players would have voted that year Jeter would not have received one vote because they are smart enough to realize that you have to play to be considered for the All-Star Game and that's something the fans have proven they are clueless about.

Not all fans are like this but the majority of them are. Take it completely out of their hands.

Well it could be worse. Imagine if fans somehow had the option to fill in the blank or vote for players that are deceased. It would be no different than a political ballot.

Fans do have that ability to an extent.  You can select any active player through the "write-in" spot.  It's been like that for the past couple years that I've noticed.

Imagine what the world would be like if everyone wrote in Pete Kozma ;)

the media is just milking it for what it's worth.  it needs to have articles and stories on it every year.  it's just like the mvp voting, HOF voting, etc.  there is nothing they can ever do that will please everyone.  anything you do will piss off someone.  so who cares?  do what you want.  if I like it, i'll watch.  if i don't, they're still getting rich off of it.

the media is just milking it for what it's worth.  it needs to have articles and stories on it every year.  it's just like the mvp voting, HOF voting, etc.  there is nothing they can ever do that will please everyone.  anything you do will piss off someone.  so who cares?  do what you want.  if I like it, i'll watch.  if i don't, they're still getting rich off of it.

well yes in the grand scheme of things we wont be crying over a bunch of millionaires missing out on their all-star bonuses

honestly go back to the best record winning home field.  make zero point to the all star game other then a fan thing...its not like any sport has an all star game thats worth a damn anymore... no one cares about the nhl all star game and their captains pick teams philosophy, only thing in the nba people care about is the slam dunk contest, and barely anyone worth a damn shows up for the pro bowl other then the free ticket to hawaii... hell they don't even check or tackle each other in hockey or football at the allstar game and no one plays defense in the nba all star game

anyone see the trend where these games used to mean a lot more then they do now

Edited by BigRog