Welcome to MVP Mods

Welcome to MVP Mods, like most online communities, you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry, this is a simple, completely free process that requires just some information from you to signup. Be a part of MVP Mods by signing in or creating an account.

• Get access to over 8,000 modifications for MVP, MLB 2K and High Heat Baseball FOR FREE!
  • Become an amazing part of our online community to discuss baseball!
  • Participate in the Shoutbox on our front page!

Solid_Contact

The MVP 2005 and Windows 10 Thread

222 posts in this topic

This thread has become the official talking point of getting MVP Baseball 2005 to run on Windows 10. The common issue for 10 users is that the game will not start on launch. As of now I've decided to revert back to Windows 7. Hopefully as we further discuss this issue a solution will prevent itself.

Edited by Solid_Contact
Merged topics into a catch-all thread

Since Windows 10 is similar to Windows 8/8.1  I am assuming this thread will help you:

even compatibility mode is working for you.

we should probably start a whole thread on windows 10.  personally i haven't tried it yet.  but if it's not working, you might consider using a virtual pc

I'll try Windows 10 this weekend and report back with my findings ;)

I am using the preview build for Win 10 and I'm not having any issues with the mod.  I can't use my editing tools on it though.  I have to use my Alien ware Laptop for the editing. I can also play NBA Live 2005 , Maddon 2004, and I just started playing the mod of NHL 2004 two days ago.  It took 3 Gigs for the download of Win 10, so be prepared to wait a little.

Lack of editing tool use, coupled with predictable Windows new OS bugs is what will keep me away.

I am using the preview build for Win 10 and I'm not having any issues with the mod.  I can't use my editing tools on it though.  I have to use my Alien ware Laptop for the editing. I can also play NBA Live 2005 , Maddon 2004, and I just started playing the mod of NHL 2004 two days ago.  It took 3 Gigs for the download of Win 10, so be prepared to wait a little.

I think as long as you avoid the program files folder you should be fine

Thanks, I will try tomorrow when I get off work.  Unfortunately I work every other weekend, and this is the weekend.  I do like what I see so far from Win 10 though.  Very smooth and fast with tons of bells and whistles.  It even plays my House of the Dead 2 from like 1998 and all my emulators.

Anyone try it yet? Upgrading right now, so excited and scared my favorite game isnt going to work on it. Wanted to see if anyone tried it yet, ill update you guys once i get Windows 10 installed.

It works great, but the screen ratio is a bit small. Just need to change some settings.

It works great, but the screen ratio is a bit small. Just need to change some settings.

It's not working for me. Have any tricks that help?

Hello all,

I recently upgraded to Windows 10. I attempted to run MVP Baseball with the settings I used before in Windows 7 (run in compatibility mode for Windows XP and run as administrator). However, the game will not even start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Did you try windows 7 compatibility mode?

how did you get it to start up? i seem to not be able to get it to start... do you mind sharing your settings with us?

how did you get it to start up? i seem to not be able to get it to start... do you mind sharing your settings with us?

no different settings, just double clicked it and it started playing. I'm using a surface pro 1 by the way...

no different settings, just double clicked it and it started playing. I'm using a surface pro 1 by the way...

hmm thats odd, did you reinstall it after upgrading?

M$ seems to use the term compatibility mode rather loosely.

Me too, I upgraded to windows 10 and reinstall it and double clicked the icon, but there is no response

I clicked on the W10 tray icon that's been sitting there for a while and it started to DL automatically.  When I went to stop the DL, it wouldn't.  After it completed it and started checking system requirements, etc., I wasn't digging this auto-install crap and wasn't sure what it was gonna do, so I did a quick re-start.  My system started acting like it was updating and took about an hour to reboot. I feared my files might be gone if it did a clean install.  Fortunately, it was just prepping and allowed me to stop the process once rebooted. 

BUT..... I don't care for this M$ crap of forcing the issue.  I know their goal is to install on a billion gazilion devices, but it shouldn't be forcibly.

I did the windows 10 install on my backup system and everything went along pretty smoothly.  Loss my sound, disabled  realtek and creative in device manager then reenabled creative and got my sound back.  I think I also rebooted.  MLB2K12 plays without any problem.  Hope someone can come along and get you going. 

You know there are going to be bugs in a new OS, I'm going to wait to install it.

I just finished doing the free install and played my first game of MVP 15.  It works fine as of right now.  I do have high end video cards in SLI though. Don't know if that makes a difference or not since resources are used differently.

Thread has been moved to the proper forum and merged into a catch-all thread for Windows 10 questions.

Windows 10 is still playing my franchise fine, but I had to greatly reduce my FPS. It was at 320 FPS when I first fired up the game. Couldn't even see the baseballs being pitched.  When I first started MVP 15 it was scrolling so fast, and even the baseballs were spinning like crazy on the menu screen. I had to put it back down to 60FPS and it looks great with no glitches yet. I have all three of my Geforce cards burning, so I like what I see so far from 10. It even plays fine in Stereoscopic 3D on my 84 inch Samsung which is awesome looking!

Windows 10 is still playing my franchise fine, but I had to greatly reduce my FPS. It was at 320 FPS when I first fired up the game. Couldn't even see the baseballs being pitched.  When I first started MVP 15 it was scrolling so fast, and even the baseballs were spinning like crazy on the menu screen. I had to put it back down to 60FPS and it looks great with no glitches yet. I have all three of my Geforce cards burning, so I like what I see so far from 10. It even plays fine in Stereoscopic 3D on my 84 inch Samsung which is awesome looking!

do you mind sharing any specific settings to get it working? I cant for the life of me get it to start. I tried checking the box to force a 640x400 resolution and i see a black screen then immediate exit, if i dont check the box, nothing even pops up.

do you mind sharing any specific settings to get it working? I cant for the life of me get it to start. I tried checking the box to force a 640x400 resolution and i see a black screen then immediate exit, if i dont check the box, nothing even pops up.

I have  it set with HDMI, 60 refresh rate, 1600 X 1024, 32 bit.  I just had to extremely slow down my graphics cards.  Hope this helps.

Just did a fresh install into the program files (not x86).  Installed the patch, installed MVP15, installed the patch, did the 4g thingy.  Game does not boot up no matter what I do.  Lucky I am dual booting my Win 10 and kept my Win 7 so I will just continue playing on Win 7 for now.

I have  it set with HDMI, 60 refresh rate, 1600 X 1024, 32 bit.  I just had to extremely slow down my graphics cards.  Hope this helps.

have u set any compatibility on ur program and administrator rights?

I just run the game like normal as admin

I just run the game like normal as admin

I just use auto-detect in the Nvidia control panel. It is a pretty normal setting though, so I don't think it makes a difference.  

hmm thats odd, did you reinstall it after upgrading?

sorry for the late response, no I did not reinstall.  Here are my compatibility settings

Screenshot (2).png

Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum, and came here hoping someone had found a solution. I know what the problem is, at least for an unmodded game:

MVP Baseball 2005 uses SafeDisc v2, which uses a file called SECDRV.SYS to validate the disc. This normally shipped with Windows, but Microsoft appears to have pulled it from Windows 10. Every game I have tested that uses this form of copy protection exhibits the following behavior:

- If you try to run it, you get told to log in with Administrator Privileges and to try again.

- If you then set "Run as Admin" compatibility mode, the message disappears, but the game doesn't start.

- Keeping a window open for C:\WINDOWS\SYSWOW64\DRIVERS shows SECDRV.SYS appearing (apparently put there by the game) at the moment you try to start the game.

- The Windows event log shows that SECDRV.SYS failed to load. The problem, it seems, is that the failed driver load is making these games fail their copy protection.

On my Windows 64-bit 8.1 system, C:\WINDOWS\WINSXS has a folder called amd64_macrovision-protection-safedisc_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.16384_none_4e6b3758913c9240 with a SECDRV.SYS in it, presumably the one that ships with Windows. Windows 10 had such a folder in early builds (I found this by looking at error logs posted online), but it is missing from the release build.

Edited by Gamboleer
EDIT: Add'l Info

I'm just hoping I don't have to roll back Windows so I can play this game. I'm having no luck either.

Most drivers etc. that worked in Win 8 are working in Win 10 so there must be some little glich that we will have to find.  If it worked in 8 it should work in 10.

I played MVP most of the day, and when I quit the game and went back to the desk top a window was there saying it automatically went to compatibility mode.  It let me check a box that said always do this for this program.  It is still working fine, I just make sure I run game as admin and it runs fine

People seem to be getting mixed results on a variety of things with this "upgrade".

I re-installed and got it to work before the patches if this means anything.

Re-installed with Win10 and not getting anything... eh.

- I installed w/ patch # 5

Edited by dechico2006

Re-installed with Win10 and not getting anything... eh.

- I installed w/ patch # 5

Try to make sure you do as much as you can as admin.  Win 10 is in protect mode and most of the time won't let you change settings or install things correctly without doing it as admin.

Are those of you saying you have it working in Windows 10 doing disc-based installations in 64-bit Windows? The issue I've described with SafeDisc seems to be universal for any game with SECDRV.SYS and Windows 10, at least 64-bit (don't have a 32-bit system to test on). Civ IV is another game affected by the same problem.

Edited by Gamboleer

From a Tiger Woods Coursedownloads member:

I would advise not upgrading to W10 right away. Let them work out the kinks first. I am a professional remote support (freelance) techie for Windows Operating Systems, I honestly know my stuff very well.

I have advised everyone I know that since Windows 7 will receive Windows Updates until Jan 2020, there is no rush to get into a new operating system from Microsoft.

IMHO, Microsoft is doing such a huge advertising campaign this time around they are making Windows users feel compelled to upgrade to Windows 10, just because it''s free. I have to install all new operating systems from Microsoft for consumers because I need to know how to repair, tweak and optimize the systems. I installed the W10 upgrade and was not impressed with the final version. To be candid, it''s still much easier for the average computer user to navigate Windows 7.

In a few words: Windows 10 has too much junk in it in terms of the Start Menu/All Programs. Windows 7 has those two featues in excellently configured and everyone loves a helpful Start Button. ;)

I also believe Windows 7 to be the flagship Operating System from Microsoft since Windows XP.

Last but not least, the old adage: "if it ain''t broken, don''t fix it."

Just an opinion from being in the IT field for several years and doing sysadmin stuff for Windows machines,

I find even Windows 8.1 to be better than Windows 7 as it is. Faster boot, lighter OS...with no real downsides.

Windows 10 is pretty much Windows 7 with all of the actual improvements that Windows 8/8.1 brought in. It's more efficient with its hardware, more secure, faster startup/shutdowns and better Windows Update handling. Odds are with the lack of Aero (which was an issue with graphics cards at the time of W7 release) you'll get a few more frames out of your games too. If you use the Windows store to install desktop applications (i.e. NOT the metro ones introduced in Windows 8), you'll be glad to find that they're more than likely not to clutter up your system unnecessarily with random registry keys that are left behind, etc.

On a side note, with Windows 10 being the first OS that Microsoft will be offering as a "service", you'll be receiving new features that Microsoft develops as they're released through Windows Update along with all of the security patches. You can opt out of the features for up to several months, but the security/critical updates are mandatory and will install themselves. If you're the family IT guy like I am, you can be relieved to find that you'll no longer have to ask which version of Windows they're on, you'll just be able to assume "Windows 10", and most importantly because this is the first OS which Microsoft has attempted to do a rolling release (meaning everything gets updated on your machine when MS pushes out an update) with, you will always have the most recent build on your machine.

I dumped W7 years ago and never looked back. It was a great OS for its time.

Personally I like W10 so far but I added some 3rd party start programs so it looks more like W7.  I assumed there would be some glitches early on as in my case I can't get MVP15 to even boot up.  Thats why I continue to do a dual boot with Win 7 on one SSD and Win 10 on the other.  Evenually when Win 10 works with everything I do then I will put away the Win 7 SSD.  Strange though if everyone is installing MVP the same way that there is different results.  I have clean installed MVP twice, the last time on C: drive.  I run it on Win 7 installed on my D: drive program (86) folder which shouldn't work but it works perfectly.  I probably will finish this season on Win 7 and try again next year on Win 10.

Edited by stealth2920

I just have Win10 running, can I add Win7 or 8.1 as a dual boot without a full re-format/install?

Yes you can, in Windows 10 make a new partition by using Disk Management and when you're going through the Windows 7 installation, go to drive options and install on that new partition. Afterwards when you boot up it will ask which OS you want to use.

Edited by Solid_Contact