emulators.

mcoll

Ok, then from the little I know, even the original xbox is not successfully emulated.  The PS2 is emulated but takes a very good PC processor (there are specs online).  I seriously doubt the 360 is emulated.  My guess is with XB1 and PS4's having been out for a while, people are trying to unload their 360's pretty cheaply.  I think the later model ones are better (i.e., less chance of red ring of death).  I assume games would be cheap also.

I know the Dreamcast is successfully emulated.

Edited by Gordo

That's true....unless you format the RPi2 for OpenElec (KODI) to use it as a media center (which we use).  Then I believe you're locked in.  RPi2's are basically little Linux boxes, I believe, so I'm not sure if you can format them to do OpenElec and some other set up simultaneously.

I used to use our original (modded) Xbox with emulators, but I don't think it ran anything more powerful than Nintendo and arcade type games.  Was still kind of cool though.

Mario Kart was of passing interest, but I have no interest now.  Stuff like Smash Bros doesnt do anything for me either.  

The Dreamcast emu runs well on a PC that doesnt have a super processor.  There are some very good DC games.  The Genesis & Saturn emus run well too.  Needless to say we were a SEGA house when my kids were growing up.  We even had a NOMAD for the road.

I would have thought emulator talk would be banned as well.  I mean, technically, you are ripping off an entire gaming system.

Legally, emulators are legal but the ROMs you use on them are not.

Can you play a game like Hardball 6 today on a Windows machine? Not really.

You need DOSBox for that. DOSBox is an emulator.

I feel it's a great thing that Emulators and ROMs exist. Some games you simply can't buy anymore (abandonware), and some games will never go on sale again because the company who owns the rights no longer exists. From a pure archival perspective, in my opinion I feel that emulators are good. They prevent us from losing games. Without emulation we'd have lost generations of games, and I've seen and read about companies who just sit on IPs instead of re-releasing them enough to know that if it weren't up to piracy/abandonware, we'd never see many titles again, ever.

I have a personal rule when it comes to piracy which is why I'm not driven enough as an admin to go after people who pirate MVP. The game is 10 years old and it's no longer supported. EA has not made another PC baseball game since then and hasn't made another baseball video game period in about 7 years. The only time I would drop the hammer on members is if MVP was still an active series on PC, but it is not.

As far as pirating MVP or any game that isn't made anymore I agree 100%.   Trying to sell a game on ebay for a ridiculous price is worse to me than people who pirate the game.

it's a simply supply and demand issue.  it's only ridiculous if you feel you are entitled to a lower price.

Emulator talk is okay, what is not okay is talking about where to find or download roms, or uploading them here. Just being reasonable.

You're right, that's how it has always been. I had a lot of roms and emulators that I got many years ago and I'm pretty sure I still have them somewhere. 8 bit Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Neo-Geo, etc. I got them from a long-gone dead website called Emux.com. I feel I can share that now because that website has been gone for many years now. Maybe some of you remember it?

I have a personal rule when it comes to piracy which is why I'm not driven enough as an admin to go after people who pirate MVP. The game is 10 years old and it's no longer supported. EA has not made another PC baseball game since then and hasn't made another baseball video game period in about 7 years. The only time I would drop the hammer on members is if MVP was still an active series on PC, but it is not.

If EA thinks we are now turning the other way for this they could make things hard on us. They have lawyers and money. We don't. That's why we should never permit this.

The money isn't going to the developer though so why not just d/l the game and play it. 

See my above response.

Besides the downloaded/pirated version of this game is not as stable as the store purchased one. There are problems in the warez one that people who bought the game do not have.

If EA thinks we are now turning the other way for this they could make things hard on us. They have lawyers and money. We don't. That's why we should never permit this.

i doubt they would invest the money to hire lawyers to shut down a site for a game thats 10 years old and they have no interest what so ever anymore for.  Its not like they gain anything from shutting us down, just wasted money on something they no longer invest in (baseball in general).. or we make money off of this.. or we are giving the game out.  hell we dont even post original game files on the side for that exact reason of piracy.. but tech arent we infringing copyright by just modifying game files?  they would of came down on us long ago and def after the grantland article if they actually care.  besides, its not like we are actually hosting an illegal copy or directing people in the direction to get it, just merely not caring if you have a pirated copy as long as you dont go shouting for the world to hear "I downloaded this game"

Edited by BigRog