Problems with mvp71

danc

I just downloaded and installed the 71 mod using the instructions given.

When I finally get to playing a game it is fantastic but while in the menus the game

is not just slow but seems to crash. Love the music, splash scenes, etc. but for me

XP (I know....) it just isn't playable. Don't want to offend but..............

DC

Danc,

I'm the guy that put it together.  I haven't tried it on my other pc, but it works perfectly using W7 64bit.  I also adjusted the backgrounds and loading screens to work on the newer widescreen monitors like mine.  Check with Padres67, he posted me to give me some feedback.  He said that he also installed as per instructions, and the install went great, he went into the game and played a number of couple inning games with several teams and had no problems.  Do you have an older monitor or non-widescreen?  If so, you might have to go into the loading and backgrounds and adjust them to a older monitor Total Classics size.  Just go into like TC69 or TC74 and the same file name as in TC71.  You might have to upload the files inside the "big" files and use Paintshop Pro or Photoshop to resize the background and loading screens manually and reupload.

Let me know by post if you have any other problems and I'll be glad to work with you personally.

Thanks,

BRobby05

Just my 2 cents -- Not everyone knows how to use Paintshop Pro or Photoshop (me included), so telling people that they need to edit files in the mod to get it to work is not going to go over very well and you're going to limit the number of people who can use or want to use your mod.

I've always tried to make sure that my mods behave properly on the lowest supported system (Windows XP, standard monitor), because there are still plenty of us using those types of systems.

I'm not trying to criticize your mod.  I know how much work it takes to put one of these together.  I'm just trying to help it to be successful for you.

I guess I can throw in a couple more cents.  When I use other people's stuff, which are meant for the older monitors, they look all stretched out and distorted on mine with a widescreen monitor.  A lot of times they lock up for one reason or another.  I don't usually say anything about it on here.  I was always told to go to tutorials to learn how to fix them from people on here and not to fuss about other people's stuff, so I do that.  I'm farrrr from an artist either digitally or otherwise and I don't have much talent in that way.  I just try to do my best to fix the stuff to work on my machine.

If I would have created it to work on a normal monitor, then it would look weird on mine and I wouldn't really know if I messed up on anything or not.  I know that when I played High Heat Baseball on my xp machine it would lock up and I'd have to reboot my pc.  I know with my machine and the TC1971 it's a little choppy because of the MVP05 not being made specifically for a w7 64bit machine.

I've been in contact with Don Cropper since he's been my mentor in this and he says that it worked fine and he really enjoyed my effort.  I don't know.

BRobby05

No Jim...not from you.  I can't seem to win on this site.  The best that I can do is to after I get my rosters completely edited as far as ratings and rookies go, I'll do a version specifically for a regular monitor.  All I would need to do is alter the backgrounds and loading screens.  I'm far from a pro at Paint Shop Pro with all its details but that's what I do when I prepare a set of unis...to resize.  I have quite a bit of pain and fatigue from my medical condition so I have to work on this as health and time permits.

Thanks,

BRobby05

I think Robby you misspoke about  the monitor thing.  The game was designed to play on "old" monitors.  I mean that's the resolution on which EA released the PC version.  The mods that people have released in general are supposed to be geared toward that.  Anyone trying to play the game in wide screen is just fooling themselves.  The only widescreen ver is for the original Xbox.

From the little bit I've read and seen of your submissions, you're into this specialty stuff that others generally can't or won't relate to.  Basically, most of the users just want to plug and play.  That's just the way it is.

55 minutes ago, Gordo said:

I think Robby you misspoke about  the monitor thing.  The game was designed to play on "old" monitors.  I mean that's the resolution on which EA released the PC version.  The mods that people have released in general are supposed to be geared toward that.  Anyone trying to play the game in wide screen is just fooling themselves.  The only widescreen ver is for the original Xbox.

From the little bit I've read and seen of your submissions, you're into this specialty stuff that others generally can't or won't relate to.  Basically, most of the users just want to plug and play.  That's just the way it is.

8 hours ago, BRobby05 said:

I guess I can throw in a couple more cents.  When I use other people's stuff, which are meant for the older monitors, they look all stretched out and distorted on mine with a widescreen monitor.  A lot of times they lock up for one reason or another.  I don't usually say anything about it on here.  I was always told to go to tutorials to learn how to fix them from people on here and not to fuss about other people's stuff, so I do that.  I'm farrrr from an artist either digitally or otherwise and I don't have much talent in that way.  I just try to do my best to fix the stuff to work on my machine.

If I would have created it to work on a normal monitor, then it would look weird on mine and I wouldn't really know if I messed up on anything or not.  I know that when I played High Heat Baseball on my xp machine it would lock up and I'd have to reboot my pc.  I know with my machine and the TC1971 it's a little choppy because of the MVP05 not being made specifically for a w7 64bit machine.

I've been in contact with Don Cropper since he's been my mentor in this and he says that it worked fine and he really enjoyed my effort.  I don't know.

BRobby05

Who misquoted who and what specialty stuff.  To quote my wife, "This is NOT a place of employment to get paid at and that some need to get a life!!!"  How come when I play it on some of the tc's, it kicks me out of the game before I even start.  My stuff is NO different than anything else here.  You show me on the Dell website or Amazon where I can get a regular old type monitor brand new for a reasonable price.

3 hours ago, Yankee4Life said:

Oh for God's sake. Who is out to get you on this website?

Why are you one of the very few that whines about everything that I do on here ever since I started do mods.  You need some nerve pills. 

At least I met some decent people on here!

Most graciously,

BRobby05

Robby, I wasn't saying anything untoward... just stating a point.  Personally, I play the game on my wide screen monitor in 4:3 aspect. 

If you want a good 4:3 monitor...get the CRT type.... they're prettier and more vibrant I think.

Ciao.

Guys - Let's calm down here or we'll need to lock this thread.

BRobby - As far as the screen resolution, Gordo is right.  If you go into the game's Visual settings, I believe that the maximum resolution you can select is 1024 x 768, which was the top monitor resolution when the game was released back in 2005.  When you try to play the game in a monitor with higher resolution, or a widescreen monitor, it will usually have a "boxed" effect, namely that there will be black bars on either side.  When I create graphics for my mods, the largest ones are no bigger than 1024 x 768 because I had crashing issues when I tried to use them on my Windows XP PC or Windows 7 laptop.

When he refers to "specialty stuff", (and he can correct me on this) it's not an insult, it's a fact.  Most of the people who come here look at playing modern baseball (i.e. with the current major league players).  Total Classics has always been, and will always be, a niche market on this site.  That's not a bad thing.  There is a particular audience that these mods cater to, but it's not realistic to think that everyone who visits here wants to play single season mods from seasons 30, 40 or more years ago.  I grew up in the 70's, so that decade is near and dear to my heart.  That's why I enjoy creating mods from that era.  I also am a fan of baseball history, which is why I created mods for the 40's and 50's.

While you and I can can debate who the better catcher was in the 1970's - Johnny Bench, Carlton Fisk or Thurman Munson, some people have no idea who those guys were.  It's much easier, and more relevant, for them to debate and discuss whether Mike Trout is better than Bryce Harper.  Again, neither discussion is better or worse than the other.  It's all a matter of what you are familiar with.

As far as installing mods, you will find that if it is hard to install, or not so hard but time consuming to install, then people will be less apt to install it.  That's just the way it is.  People aren't going to feel like unzipping 50 individual files to install a mod.  When I get some time and can download your files, I can look at creating something that is easier to install.  That would at least solve one issue that might keep people from installing the mod.

RBobby05. Thanks for the suggestions but as jim825 said I probably won't be messing with PhotoShop to get it to work.

I use max resolution as jim says and I do get the "scrunched" splash screens on most of the TC mods but when in the menus

everything is fine. BTW, I did notice that the opening screen (weaver/palmer) was very small on my screen. Thanks for the effort.

As I said, once the game starts all is well. I graduated in '71 and was really looking forward to this. No problem, there are plenty

of others. Not worth a spat. Thanks again for the workaround anyway.

DC

That's exactly right Jim. 

Believe me, if I put out an insult, it won't be veiled.   Like I said I was just stating some facts and meager observations.  When I said "specialty stuff", I meant you're typically seeming to look for particular things related to older era baseball. I mean even your picture/avatar is vintage.  But never said anything insulting in there.