New observations on TC71

danc

I am very sorry  to see that my previous conversation was closed and that BRobby is now a guest.

I noticed that my resolution was actually 1600x1200x32 so I tried to start a new dynasty using the standard

maximum resolution described in the previous replies. Sorry to say it did not help. Well... 

The end of that I guess.

DC

Danc, you have nothing at all to feel sorry about. He chose all by himself to have his account deactivated.

If you read my review of that mod it had a lot going for it but it also had a lot of problems too. The installation of that mod was the worst I have ever come across.

Hey, we have other season mods, right? :)

He deactivated his account?  Over that other crap? Man.... sorry, but that's just being too sensitive.

When I was first around here, Y4L had an all out knock down / drag out fight.   You just have to smack him around a bit and then he shuts up for a while..... then you learn to love him  :)

15 minutes ago, Gordo said:

He deactivated his account?  Over that other crap? Man.... sorry, but that's just being too sensitive.

I gave his mod a very honest and fair review. You can judge for yourself right here. He also got upset because he mentioned that he couldn't seem to win on this site and I asked him who he thought was out to get him.

The mod needs work. A lot of it. But it does have potential. And I am not kidding if you want to try it out.Set aside a long time to install it. A LONG time.

20 minutes ago, Gordo said:

When I was first around here, Y4L had an all out knock down / drag out fight.   You just have to smack him around a bit and then he shuts up for a while..... then you learn to love him  :)

Klitschko-Pulev1.jpg

26 minutes ago, Padres67 said:

I installed it no problem in 15 minutes.

But you could see how the novice user would get confused? And fifteen minutes? Not bad. The installation for this could have been better. But take that away for a second. Forget about the installation issue.

Another big weakness about this mod is the roster ratings. The first team I look at is the Yankees and while some of them look ok some of his ratings are highly questionable and one I found was laughable.

Roy White has a speed rating of 99. Anyone who saw White play knew he wasn't close to that. Ron Blomberg has a speed rating of FIVE. That's 5. And Mel Stottlemyre? Pitcher Mel Stottlemyre has a speed rating of 99.

These are issues that could have been repaired but now that he is gone this mod may as well be deleted. :(

And that is too bad. It had potential.

I can probably give a little perspective on how those speed ratings came about, since I've got plenty of experience with TC rosters.

When you import historical teams from the Lahman database into MVPEdit, which is how I create historical rosters, the ratings are automatically setup for you.  One of the trickest and most confusing is the speed rating. I don't know how those are calculated.  That being said, just because a player has a rating of 100, that doesn't mean that he is going to lead the league in stolen bases.  For example, if you were to look at the TC1977 rosters in MVPEdit, you would find over 20 players with speed ratings of 100, yet only a few are near the top of the stolen base list at the end of the season. 

After I create my rosters and run the set of Global Tweaks that stecropper gave me years ago, I run countless sims and at the end of the season look at the league leaders in multiple categories for hitters (Batting Avg., RBI, HR, triples, stolen bases) and pitchers (wins, strikeouts, saves, complete games).  I compare the results I get to the actual historical results I find on baseball-almanac.com:  http://www.baseball-almanac.com/yearmenu.shtml

I also look at my final standings (wins / losses) and compare them to the actual standings.  I then go back and make individual or team tweaks (increase or decrease player settings) and run more sims.  This cycle continues until I get league leaders, team won/loss records and season award winners that are close to the actual results from the year I am modding.

This is can be a time consuming process, depending upon how many sim-tweak-sim cycles I want to run, but being the perfectionist I am, it is the only way to end up with results as close to real life as possible, and that is what I aim for with each of my TC mods.  Once I am satisfied with the results, I stop tweaking, even if it means that some of the ratings (e.g. speed) may not make sense.

BRobby told me that the files he uploaded were only an initial release, and he had more work to do on them.  I'm guessing that he didn't run a lot of season sims or look at things like season stats, won/loss records, etc.

33 minutes ago, Jim825 said:

Perhaps when I finish my current project, I can take a stab at cleaning up the ratings a bit and creating an easier to use installer, with just a single file to download. 

You did something similar for Sal and that turned out well. And take your time with this too. It is not like we don't have anything else to occupy our time here. Look what Gordo did for the global editing in TC 10. I'm anxious to see what the subtle differences are in that.

***Below are my MVPEdit formula notes:

Lahman Import SPEED formula

3B / AB * 4 = T#

SB + CS / AB = S#

T# + S# * 1000 + 10.5 = SPEED Rating

(3B = Triples; AB = At Bats; SB = Stolen Bases; CS = Caught Stealing)

***NOTE*** Speed rating is heavily impacted by playing time and will definitely need to be tweaked across an entire roster especially for those players with little playing time (i.e. ABs).

11 minutes ago, Padres67 said:

The guy spent a lot of time on it, he has had some major health issues including brain surgery. It deserves to be brought up to a better level of play. Thanks Jim for showing interest in improving this, I feel sorry for the guy.

I agree with you. But nobody put his work down with the intention of putting him down, let alone myself. And I don't want to hear from anyone otherwise that I did.

One more thing. No one went up to him and told him he should leave this website. That was his own idea and choosing.

No one says you did, I'm just saying let's improve it and let it go at that. It was his choice to leave, so be it. He was offended by the GD comment, God's name in vain-that is his right to be offended by that. Just as a muslim would be if Muhammed is used the same way. Nobody in here ever uses his name in vain in here, so maybe we shouldn't be using God's name the same way. I'm also offended by that but never say anything about it until now, because I know living in this world the shows that are on today all use it-so I accept it-but doesn't mean I care for it or like it. I hope he comes back and continues to enjoy this site as I have the last 10 years.

Padres67,

Do you run on XP? Do you use a flat screen monitor? 

I am just checking to see if it truly is my system that is the problem with the menu thing?

I use a very old monitor which I absolutely love. NEC MultiSync FE2111. Great resolution and hard to give up.

I have an NVIDIA video card and a Intel quad core processer.

This is from a readme file that BRobby sent me last week regarding this first release of TC71:

Here is a listing of some of the items that I need to finish:

a.  Minor league players, uniforms, and stats.

b.  Correct player stats & ratings.  Most of the basic stats and ratings are there, but I have to fine tune them.

c.  Fine tune some of the uniforms.

d.  Add and maybe fine tune some of the player audios and stadium announcements.

e.  Install some player portraits.

f.  Install some more detailed cyberfaces to replace the general ones.

g. Install additional loading & background screens.

h. Change & install additional batter walk-ups from the period.

He acknowledges that the mod is still a work in progress.  While I will probably do some cleanup and take on a few of these tasks, I definitely won't do all of them.  For example, I won't do anything with the minor league teams.

2 hours ago, Jim825 said:

He acknowledges that the mod is still a work in progress.  While I will probably do some cleanup and take on a few of these tasks, I definitely won't do all of them.  For example, I won't do anything with the minor league teams.

Jim it is good to see that he realizes this mod was a work in progress and I am sure that whatever you do for this mod will make it look a lot better.

I personally think this was his big mistake, releasing the mod in this state. Nobody needed to see this mod before he was 100% ready for it to be downloaded and the way it was released to everyone it was no where near 100%. Stecropper was helping him out here so I am sure he saw this before any one of us did. Maybe. It doesn't make any sense to me to release a TC mod before it is ready to be seen by everyone especially when you know it isn't ready.

I can understand wanting to put something out there after spending months (or years) working on it.  What he should have done was put a "Beta" label on it and list the areas that still needed to be worked on.  This way everyone would know that it wasn't a finished project and it would allow them to overlook things that might not be perfect just yet.