Facial Hair Restrictions

zzcoolj21

I would like to hear some opinions on this. The Yankees have had rules about facial hair for the longest and now I hear the Marlins are going to start implementing some sort of ban as well.

I honestly think its one of the dumbest rules created.

I understand you don't want players to go out on the field looking like neanderthals swinging clubs, but is a ban necessary?

Also I feel like some players look better and more natural with facial hair.

Carlos Correa for example

Without facial hair:

9573.png

With facial hair:

1b1cfb413db22cfcab2b6a535446059e.png

Whatever happened to "look good, feel good, play good"?

Just my 2 cents.

Hey ZZ, thanks for opening this up for our thoughts!  You mentioned, "I understand you don't want players to go out on the field looking like neanderthals swinging clubs, but is a ban necessary?" I like the Nationals, but I have to say, Jason Werth puts me in mind of the proverbial neanderthal swinging a club! :) Some CEO's in the business world lean more conservative in dress and fashion, and do not wear facial hair and trickle that down to their employees. I believe some of our armed forces don't permit facial hair for more than just outward appearance. I love a good groomed beard, but it would be a challenge to draw the line on what the guys would consider a good groomed beard. For now the Yanks have a code on no facial hair, and it's their choice, and considering the number of championships they have won, sometimes decisions like these are a result of a little supersition in my opinion. But who knows, one day they may permit the wearing of a thin moustache!  :)  Have a great day everyone!

The Yankees facial hair rule applies just to beards.  Players are allowed to grow mustaches, and they've had some famous ones over the years - Thurman Munson, Sparky Lyle, Goose Gossage, Ron Guidry, Don Mattingly, etc.  Here's an article about players growing mustaches last year:  http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2015/04/wait_the_yankees_are_growing_mustaches.html

Their rules also prohibit hair below the collar (i.e. no long hair).  George Steinbrenner wanted a well groomed, professional looking team.  I see no problem with this, and I haven't really heard of players refusing to play for the Yankees because of this.

Remember what Johnny Damon looked like the year before he signed with the Yankees?  

g_damon_195.jpg

On the one hand I coudln't care less for how anybody else looks. On the other, I do like the notion of the Yankees looking like a professional and well groomed baseball team. And of course, an employer has the right - to an extent - to demand their employees to look a certain way.

For example ,you wouldn't want to be in a court of law where a judge shows up wearing sakteboarding shoes and baggy jeans. (A person's value does not lie in their appearance, that is another matter, but certain things are expected from certain jobs).