Static Pics of MLB 2005 Stadiums

jbravo17

Not really sure where to put this ... hopefully this is the right forum.

First post here, a bit of background.  I was a simulation enthusiast back in the days of Earl Weaver/TLUB.  I watched things progress along until the absolutely maddening HH2003 (which would have been a fantastic game, save for all of the bugs and glitches) and then the death of graphical baseball on the PC in 2005.  I bought MVP 2005 (as I did everything baseball at that time and ever since) but wasn't particularly impressed, and shelved it.  From there I got more into text based sims and have spent considerable time playing and making mods for a number of those ... most recently Digital Diamond Baseball, my simulation "home" for a couple of years now..

Fast forward to last year.  I discovered "Legends of the Booth" in some thread somewhere, and because of my lifelong love of the Dodgers and Vin Scully (lived in LA all my life) I just HAD to check it out.  So I dusted off my copy of MVP2005 (I believe I still have EVERY baseball game ever released for the PC, going all the way back to the original APBA for DOS that shipped in the impressive blue hardbound slipcase), loaded up "Total Classics 10" as well as "Legends of the Booth" and got the whole thing working beautifully in 64-bt Windows 7, on my 2560x1440 screen at it's native resolution with the high-res mod found on this site.

To say I'm impressed would be a clinic in understatement.  The many hours of effort from all parties involved for what I'm now able to see on my screen cannot be understated.  So a hearty thanks for many jobs well done!

Now, on to my question ...

One of the things I'm particularly impressed with is the considerable work that's been done with stadiums.  From the very modern to the classics of the past, they are nothing short of amazing!  And last night, while watching a game in Fenway Park in all of it's 2560x1440 glory, it hit me that if I could get screen captures of an appropriate view of each stadium, then I could utilize these stadiums as backdrops in text sims (like DDBB).  For most of the modern stadiums, there are plenty of good photos available that have the appropriate, unobstructed catcher-through-centerfield view set at just he right angle and perspective.  But you really don't have to go too far back in history before the pictures become of sub-standard quality, extremely scarce, or worse ... non-existent.  And personally, I've always had a preference for the perfection of the artist's renderings anyway ... which probably dates back to my TLUB/OTBB days, as those were the games that really got me (and a lot of other people) turned on to the fact that 1) not all stadiums were created equally  2) that this absolutely affects game play, and 3) that just about every ballpark is truly a work of art in it's own right! 

I was all set to get my screen caps using the in-game replay camera, but of course was halted by the limitations of the standard "Free Camera" that ships with the game (which is what I believe I have installed on my system).  Using that camera (the only adjustable one) I can't get the view I need, because I can't zoom out far enough or adjust the perspective to the correct angle.  I was almost willing to just write it off as one of those maddening, impossible things that only seem to be within reach (HH2003 all over again <G>) but I'm teased by the aerial camera that does the fly-by as the players go through their warm-ups and are being introduced ... which comes very close to what I'm looking for, albeit for a brief moment, and also obstructed by a lot of text on the screen.  So I know, that within the very complex mechanics of the game, that it is technically possible.  I'm also bolstered along by a set of ballpark images that someone released quite some time ago, which came from the original MVP2005 ballparks.  They are, however, a bit dark and rather low-res by modern PC standards.  No clue as to how those were created, however.

So I'm hoping that someone can point me in the direction of a mod or tool that can get me what I want.  I believe that an updated set of artist's renderings based on the many fine park efforts that have been created here would be extremely well received within many (every?) text based sim communities, and I would (of course) give credit where it's due.  Short of that (ie. what I'm after wouldn't be easy for a MVP novice like myself to accomplish) if someone wants to go through the trouble to actually produce a set of images, I'd be willing to support that effort.  Contact me, and maybe we can work something out. 

I'm no stranger to modding, or PC's in general (I've been a software developer for over 30 years now) and not above "getting my hands dirty", but at my age I don't have nearly as much time for this stuff as I'd like.  But then again ... even when I was much younger, it was never enough!  

OK, I've rambled on long enough.  Appreciate the read for anyone who's gotten this far, and looking forward to any help that anyone has to offer.