Having an issue with Total Classics 1984 Mod..

efrey

I am pretty new to the MVP mod scene, so please be kind :)

I did a clean install of MVP 2005 today on a Windows 7 machine. I then downloaded and installed the official patches. I followed the instructions for installing the TC Classics 1984 mod. I extracted the zipped file(s), double clicked on the explodeme file, and then extracted to where my MVP 2005 game is installed. It went through the extraction and file replacement. At the end, however, there was a fairly long list of files that had messages of "could not open" in them. 

At that point, I closed out the extraction window, launched the game, and got really excited when I saw the Alan Trammell Sports Illustrated cover image, figuring everything installed fine. Well, it appears that some things are working as they should, because the start up "click to 1984" screen and main game menu screen are like they should be. The 1984 music plays. The problem is that the rosters are still the original 2005 ones and the stadiums appear to all be 2005 versions as well.

Did I do something wrong? I thought maybe I extracted to the wrong place, so I did it again, this time extracting not just to the general "MVP Baseball 2005", but to MVP Baseball 2005>Data. I got no list of files that could not open this time, but also no difference in game, either.

Please help if you can. I cannot wait to play this awesome mod the way it was intended to be enjoyed! Thank you in advance.

The game plays fine. It's just that the rosters are the 2005 ones that shipped with the game, not the 1984 ones from the mod. Certain elements from the mod installed fine.

I read that in your first post. That means you did something wrong. I installed the 1984 mod and I have the '84 rosters and everything needed for that mod.

Thank you for your help. I'll start over and try again. I'm wondering if the problem has anything to do with the fact that I installed all 5 official patches instead of just #2. I hope it's that simple for me.

Thank you for your help. I'll start over and try again. I'm wondering if the problem has anything to do with the fact that I installed all 5 official patches instead of just #2. I hope it's that simple for me.

No.

First of all you didn't need to install all five patches. Patches three through five are just roster updates and those updates from EA are eleven years old now. So, we don't need them. The patches you can install are patch one and two but even if you didn't install them you still would have had a full working version of the 1984 total conversion mod.

If you were getting "could not open" errors, it could be that the original files are set as read-only. If that's the case, it would explain why some of the files would not install.

Ok Jim, that makes sense. But let me ask you this. How would this be? Why would these files be set to read-only when anyone else who installed this mod was able to do it without these problems? Kind of confusing.

Whatever the case may be, I am pleased to report I got everything functioning exactly as it should be. The X-factor here has to be something in one of the official patches as that is the only thing I did differently this time (only installed patch #2).

Thanks again for the assistance and advice, and a huge thank you to Jim and whoever else had a hand in this mod. I am loving it!