2K ROS Background Colors - HEX editing

pena1

Tutorial on how to change the hardcoded background colors for each team.

This is helpful as many of the minor league teams have changed and are still showing the colors of the previous team in the menu backgrounds and scoreboard. As well MLB teams have updated their colors a bit.

NOTE: the 2k17 total mod will have all of these updated! This is more for reference later. Or when I disappear for 3 years and can't remember how to do any of this.

Also big thanks to exrxixxx and KC in this thread for getting the wheels turning:
http://www.mvpmods.com/forums/topic/55030-scoreboards-tv-for-mlb2k12-v-11/?page=2

Things you'll need:

Hex Editor (I use HxD)
This Offset Calculator tool I wrote:  google doc
Your .ROS file
Patience

Before you do anything, make a backup.

1. Open up your .ROS file in hex editor. First we are going to start with the Angels background HEX# which is: BA 00 21. In Hex editor every set is backwards, so the value you want to search for is 21 00 BA. From the the start of the file, use you find command (usually CTL-F) to search, enter 21 00 BA.  

***I've tested multiple ROS files and so far all of them have had this value for the Angels. IF you can't find this value in the top 3rd of the file you will have to do some digging around near offset 0017410. ****

1hex.thumb.jpg.bf0b963381f204b7dc005b8a1d1975cb.jpg

Where the cursor begins is the offset, take note of it. From the left - 001741D, the 8 comes from the top (think battleship). This gives us 001741D8. Open up the Offset calculator (Google doc link, it should make you download/open your own copy) and enter the value into H2 (next to green cell). This will populate data into the offset column (C).

3. Ive added the ID's and team names on the left. Look for the team you want to update and take note of the offset directly to the right. Use the Goto command back in Hex Editor (CTR-G usually) and enter the offset you just took note of. This will take you directly to the start of the HEX# of the color you want to change. Remember that the color is backwards. Type it in a HEX color editor to make sure the color corresponds to the team you want to change and update the values with the desired color (backwards, again).

For example, the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp were still showing a bright yellow from their former name, the Suns.
Their ID is 87, So I used the go to command to get to 0018AA14. Then I typed over that data for this blue. 

2hex.jpg.9fc439cc99697fa43a352c6f94073685.jpg

That hex color backwards is BB 70 04

3hex.thumb.jpg.21e3f349e05b8f2dd5745be959d3686f.jpg

VERY IMPORTANT - DON'T SKIP!
4. After editing, your file size will have changed. You need to account for this by doing a check sum. (this is directly from exrxixxx)

Save • Scroll to the very top of the document • Delete first 8 characters (4 bytes), ex XX XX XX XX (not substitute with 0s, but delete. Program will say you are changing file size, confirm)

Save again • In HxD you have checksum built in. go to Analysis-Checksums and find CRC32, Press OK

Result will show at the bottom of your screen under "Checksum". It will be 8 characters (4 bytes)

Put Cursor at the very first character in the document. Go to Edit - Insert Bytes. For the option "Bytecount" enter 4, confirm

00 00 00 00 will be added to the beginning of the document.

Overwrite these zeros with Checksum result

* ** If Checksum is 12 34 56 78, you have to enter everything in the following order: 78 56 34 12

Save the file.

5. Load up the ROS in game and see what you have.

BEFORE:
4-hex.thumb.jpg.c745ee0e4c553f65063bded8006d8163.jpg

AFTER:
589aaf60e1029_mlb2k122017-02-0721-38-36-42.thumb.jpg.d4cbfcdf2762292d69c9ad50cd770bbf.jpg

Now back to the total mod! 

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi All. I was trying to follow this tutorial and wasn't having any success. I gather the linked google doc is not the exact one pena1 initially linked? As the tutorial does not match the functionality of that offset calculator. Also there is no list of team IDs or corresponding team data as he mentions in the tutorial. I have been playing around a lot with a hex editor and the roster file I am using (Specifically for learning purposes trying to change the Angels red to a neon green so it's obvious the change worked) but I cannot find the right color to change. I probably have searched 30 different iterations of the old color code and replaced them all (each occurrence individually to try and pin down the correct offset) and nothing has worked. I am aware the color code needs to be flipped and that the roster needs to have a proper checksum applied to function. Clearly I am inputting the color code and checksum correctly because I was able to change the name color on the home jerseys to that same neon green. So it really feels like I am looking in the wrong place to find the correct color to swap.

Anyone have any ideas/tips to make sure I find the correct offset to change the color on? Either that or have a list of teams and which offset is the hardcoded background color?

Sorry to spam posts, I was finally able to change the background color for the angels, though this only came after a TON of altering the the specific hex# for what the preset background color for the Angels was. Does anyone know if there is a way to see what the preset colors for every team is?