New to MVP Mods- Game crashing

och87

Hey all,

I've been a long time MVP fan but have strictly played on PS2. Got the PC version recently in hopes to play with new stadiums, download rosters easily, etc. 

I got everything up and running and did my first roster download. Everything worked perfectly and it was cool to see the Astros in the AL and all the rosters set. Unfortunately though, when I try to play an actual game, it crashes at the game loading screen after setting lineups and stadium and all that. 

I'm sure I sound like a total noob right now, but any suggestions on how to fix this issue? I'm sure it's much simpler than I think.

5 hours ago, Gordo said:

Explain exactly how you modded this; a total conversion mod?  piecemeal individual mods in to a basic install?  And what is your operating system?

I actually downloaded your most recent rosters and got rid of the original MVP database files and replaced them with yours. All the rosters were perfect, just didn't start at the game. Looking forward to getting it working. And I'm using a Windows 8.1

5 hours ago, Yankee4Life said:

Where did you download the game from?

Amazon, used. It came with a patch disc and pretty detailed instructions. The game itself works just fine. Just started crashing at the game time after downloading rosters. Got rid of the modded rosters and replaced them with the original and it worked fine again.

3 hours ago, Jim825 said:

If all you did was upgrade the roster, the game is probably crashing because the rosters use cyberfaces that do not exist in the game. You need to install the missing cyberfaces. 

That's what I thought. Figured I was just missing some extra downloads. Where can I download those?

9 minutes ago, och87 said:

Amazon, used. It came with a patch disc and pretty detailed instructions. The game itself works just fine. Just started crashing at the game time after downloading rosters. Got rid of the modded rosters and replaced them with the original and it worked fine again.

Well ok. What the heck is a patch disk?

51 minutes ago, Yankee4Life said:

Well ok. What the heck is a patch disk?

haha. Sorry, I don't have the CD in front of me and I'm kind of technologically challenged (I'm sure you can tell!). It was basically a disc that I had to put in that would make the game playable without crashing immediately. According to his directions at least. Not sure if he called it a patch disc. Might just be what I was referring to it as. 

Sounds like the seller may not have sold you original discs then, but I'm not sure.

Here's what I would do, but with Windows 8 (versus XP or 7), there is no guarantee:

• Delete your install.  Run something like CCleaner to clear the registry as well.
  • Install the original game fresh and then official patch #3,
  • Install MVP 12 per its instructions.  Run it to make sure you can play different modes.  If you can't, don't waste your time any further as it is probably a Windows 8 problem then.
  • If you can run it, you can either try to grab all the cyberfaces from 2012 and later that you want (there are a few bad looking faces from 2012 on up, but not many). Install them individually using the Total Installer Thingy (or TiT ...as it's referred to around here).
  • Install the latest rosters

Report back.

If you do have to use another OS, you can always partition your drive or install a secondary HDD to your computer and install Windows 7 or XP on either to run the game.

Sounds like the seller probably put the patches on disc.  Hopefully you got the original discs and not copies.  If they're not legit copies, I'd contact Amazon and get a refund.  But as far as crashing goes, it's an issue with not having the proper cyberfaces.  Unfortunately there isn't an easy fix because no one makes a compatible cyberface pack anymore. No one has really collaborated on rosters and cyberfaces in a while, so it's difficult to keep up.  The last facepack I made was in 2014, which you can find here: 

You might want to start there and piece together other faces you're missing as you go along. 

The only other options you have are to see if Gordo has a compatible facepack, or get the latest total conversion mod and extract the faces from there.

Well y'all, I got the rosters up and running along with MVP 12. I believe that was the real issue. The discs he sent me seem legit. Had a disc 1 and a disc 2. Just had a, what he referred to as a "patch disc" as well that had an attachment to help me open the game with no issues. Being new, I'm not sure that's common, but it doesn't seem to do much else. In any case the game is working with updated rosters. Haven't played very long. I suppose I'll get started on getting some faces added. Thank you all so much.

Glad you got that going.  Its not that you cant try the mvp15 mod but some had trouble with it. 

One thing you may want to consider is installing your game again (you'd need to uninstall the proper registry key to basically fool your computer into believing its not already installed). Patch it with official patch 3 and use it as a base from where you can do additional mods. 

Then if you put the mvp15 mod on that youd only have to update is from that point on. 

Archived