Portrait ids for newly created players

tinpanalley

If you create a completely new player in MVP edit using the Create function, the id starts with '0'.
But I'm not able to find that '0' fsh in the portrait.big file. Is the way to do this properly to just overwrite and existing player to have the id in the portrait file?

1 hour ago, Gordo said:

All portrait ID's should be 4 digit numbers.  It should start with 0000 and 0001 (check my generic portrait in the DL section for this year).

The thing is that in MVPEdit, if you create a new player it starts from '0'. And if every other number from 0001 to 9999 is already taken, then is the only way to make a slew of new players to use spaces occupied by existing players in the game? I don't mind but then how do you then get the game to not call their names?

6 hours ago, Gordo said:

You'd have to edit the datafile.txt and turn the announcers volume down to 0% is the only way I can think of.

Ok, but I've got the idea, right? Basically the only way you're making new players with a portrait that aren't in the game is by over-writing players that already exist. Correct? Anyone ever figured out how many of those stock players with portraits there are in the original 2005?
Also, then how does it work with players in the classics mods? There are several whose names aren't in play by play and the commentators just speak about them generically.

38 minutes ago, Gordo said:

You can tell MVPedit to search for audio IDs (same as portrait).  You can also go into Tools > Photo List.   with almost 10,000 numbers I doubt the game will take up all the portraits.

Ok, but I don't understand. Sorry, I've read what you said over and over and I'm clearly just not getting it.
I have a player I want to make. Do I "Create new player"? Or overwrite an existing one?
Then, if I DO create a new player, how do I know what ID to give him so I can attach a portrait to that ID? The default '0' number I got doesn't show up in portraits.big.

Archived