1951 and "Total Classics 10" questions

tinpanalley

Couple of questions...
1. I can't seem to find instructions for getting the proper 1951 schedule into a dynasty in the '51 mod.
2. Total Classics says it's version 10. I remember years ago, it was on a lower number. Have all the newer versions added to the last and now 10 has all of the teams? Or did previous versions have different teams? If so, I'd love to have them all. Is that possible?

Thanks, guys.

33 minutes ago, tinpanalley said:

Couple of questions...
1. I can't seem to find instructions for getting the proper 1951 schedule into a dynasty in the '51 mod.
2. Total Classics says it's version 10. I remember years ago, it was on a lower number. Have all the newer versions added to the last and now 10 has all of the teams? Or did previous versions have different teams? If so, I'd love to have them all. Is that possible?

Thanks, guys.

1. Wouldn't you just load the '51 schedule like you would any other schedule? Or maybe I misunderstood what you meant.

2. Yes, TC 10 is the latest version. Every time some major changes are made the version of Total Classics changes. Every version of TC has had all the teams. One team change, and this was a few versions ago, was the removal of the '77 Yankees and the addition of the 1933 New York Giants.

I have every version of Total Classics including the first one made for Mvp 2004 by Fuzzone and no I am not uploading any of them. I just don't have the time.

13 minutes ago, Yankee4Life said:

1. Wouldn't you just load the '51 schedule like you would any other schedule? Or maybe I misunderstood what you meant.

Well, yeah, I guess that's what I'm asking. I don't know how to load a schedule. That's obviously not an option in-game.
As far as the other TCs go, then it would be irrelevant to have them all anyway if #10 is the full collection of all work done since #1 with the exception of that Yanks-Giants change. Would be redundant to have them all.
So, on the subject.. I've never understood how "Walk Through History" is different other than having less teams. Is it that with one you can't play a dynasty or something?

Each TC version is a little bit different. It just depended on what was added to it. Another example would be the addition of the Legends of the Booth mod in Total Classics. That was not there in all of them.

And I got a confession for you. Since I had this game I have never played a dynasty in it. Only exhibition games. So I am not sure if you can't play a dynasty in that one.

On 1/12/2018 at 6:37 PM, tinpanalley said:

Well, yeah, I guess that's what I'm asking. I don't know how to load a schedule. That's obviously not an option in-game.
As far as the other TCs go, then it would be irrelevant to have them all anyway if #10 is the full collection of all work done since #1 with the exception of that Yanks-Giants change. Would be redundant to have them all.
So, on the subject.. I've never understood how "Walk Through History" is different other than having less teams. Is it that with one you can't play a dynasty or something?

The description of the Walk Through History mod specifically states that you can use it for dynasty play:

The Total Classics Walk Through History mod brings together some of the best teams from the early 1900's through the early 1950's for dynasty play. 

This mod was put created before any of the single season pre-1950 mods (1934, 1939, 1941, 1946, etc.) mods were released.

As far as playing dynasties in Total Classics 10, you can do it BUT you must specify whether you want to do this when you install the mod (there is an option on the installer page).  The reason for this is that if you play a dynasty, the game expects all of the teams to be in the major league slots and they must be listed in the schedule.  Only 30 teams can be in the major league slots.  When you do this, however, you do not get historical stats to show up in the game for teams in the minor league slots.

To get around the stats issue, if you install TC10 in "Exhibition mode", it modifies the team.dat file to make all 120 teams major league teams.  Stats now show up when players come up to bat, however, you now can't play a dynasty.  Rather than forcing one mode or another on users, I just added the Exhibition Play / Dynasty Play options to the installer.

When you say "right" schedule, do you mean a 154 game schedule?  A modified 1951 schedule was included because if you play a dynasty, the game expects there to be 162 games.  The actual 1951 schedule was modified by adding 8 games for each team and then that modified schedule was put in the mod.

In other words, once you get past those first 8 games, you will be playing the actual 1951 schedule.

5 hours ago, Jim825 said:

When you say "right" schedule, do you mean a 154 game schedule?  A modified 1951 schedule was included because if you play a dynasty, the game expects there to be 162 games.  The actual 1951 schedule was modified by adding 8 games for each team and then that modified schedule was put in the mod.

In other words, once you get past those first 8 games, you will be playing the actual 1951 schedule.

Yes, when I said "right" I meant the 1951 154-game schedule. I simulated a season and the teams all played 162 games. Ok, so if I have this right, you're always going to play 162 games no matter what. But the last 154 will be the ones from the actual 1951 schedule. There's never a way of playing where you only actually play 154 games. Is that it?

Technically, there IS a way to play a shorter schedule, but you would need an extra tool to do this.  There is a tool called the Short Season Projector.  Here is info for this utility:

This program will allow you to advance to the playoffs when using a shortened schedule.

It allows you to advance to the playoffs by updating the standings based on winning percentage to give each team the correct number of games played.  After all of the scheduled games for a league have been played, run the program.  Choose which level(MLB, AAA, AA, A) you want to update the standings for.  After you run it, all of the teams at that level should have the correct # of games played.  (162 for MLB, 144 for AAA, 140 for AA and A)  This will let you advance to the playoffs.

The utility is included in this mod:

I have never used the utility myself, but others have.  You would also have to find and install a shortened schedule into the game.

5 hours ago, Jim825 said:

I have never used the utility myself, but others have.  You would also have to find and install a shortened schedule into the game.

So, in the database folder, what are the files called, "154Game_schedule.big" and "162Game_schedule.big"?

Those are the schedules that I included with the mod.  I forgot that I had done that.  One is just the actual 154 game schedule and the other is the modified schedule that adds the additional 8 games for each team.

Copy whichever one you want to use to "schedule.big" in the database folder and that is the one that will be used in the game.  As I said, if you use the 154 game schedule, you will need to use the Short Season Projector utility once you finish all 154 games.

2 hours ago, Jim825 said:

Those are the schedules that I included with the mod.  I forgot that I had done that.  One is just the actual 154 game schedule and the other is the modified schedule that adds the additional 8 games for each team.

Copy whichever one you want to use to "schedule.big" in the database folder and that is the one that will be used in the game.  As I said, if you use the 154 game schedule, you will need to use the Short Season Projector utility once you finish all 154 games.

Ok, cool. I imagine you just rename it.
That is what I needed to understand. I couldn't find this info anywhere. Thanks.

Archived