TC3 - roster corrections

capa

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will any future patch include a face fix ?

Related to that one: Does everyone have the same half or distorted faces in the roster or is it a cheap video card issue ?

In my case, I've been making notes as I play whose face is messed up and comparing the results to the face numbers and 2004 face yes/no attributes in attrib.dat

I've been able to fix EVERY weird face I've found so far by simply changing the 12 column in attrib.dat - the 2004 face yes/no column

Most are some of the 901-915 generics that had been set to 1, restoring them to 0 restored the face to normal. There was also a Mike Schmidt face (428) for the 80 Phils that needed to be set to 0 as well. I then went through with the replace menu on notepad and found all the faces 901-915 and had a 1 and set it to 0. Didn't take long at all and has fixed a lot of faces and doesn't seem to mess up any that were ok to begin with.

There are some that work the other way

151 Chet Lemon

211 Will Clark

293 Mark "The Bird"

338 Howard Johnson

439 Schoolboy Rowe

478 Lloyd McClendon

They were distorted on for me and I set the yes/no to 1 for them and they're working.

I'm only through a handful of teams at this point and the only changes I've made to my attrib.dat file is in the column 12 and the one Tom Hall face I mentioned above from 902 to 913.

I have an NVIDIA Geforce MX 420 video card with the latest drivers, with at least 32 mb video memory, it might have 64, I don't remember.

If everyone is having the same problem, I'd be happy to send either the attrib.dat or a text file noting changes I've made or both to the TC3 powers that be to be incorporated into the next update.

If it isn't universal, what do I do with my backup attrib.dat to make the faces work ?

I believe that the issue has to do with the capabilities of the video card. For example, while working on TC3 (and now TC4), I use my laptop from work. This allows me to be in the same room with my wife if I'm doing things like adding portraits, etc.

I have the game installed on the laptop and do some rudimentary testing with it (e.g. making sure that roster or portrait changes don't crash the game). In-depth testing is done on the regular PC that I play the game on.

The laptop has integrated video in it, and I do see the "wraparound" faces for some players. On my regular PC, which has a Radeon 9600 Pro (128 Mb) video card, I do not see the problem.

Since I'm updating the roster files for TC4, I'd be especially interested to see a text file with the changes you've made. The attribute.dat file probably wouldn't help much, since the version I'm using will be different than yours and I'd have to do a line by line comparison to find the differences.

I'll send you a PM with my e-mail address.

deadballfan - Just as a followup, I looked at the attribute.dat file in my rosters and picked 3 players who had the "2004 face" flag set incorrectly:

Joe Zdeb -'77 Royals, Face 902, 2004 face = Yes

Jeff Nelson - '98 Yankees, Face 102, 2004 face = No

Lloyd McClendon - '91 Pirates, Face 498, 2004 face = No

I started up the game on my laptop and all three of them had the "wraparound" faces.

I went into MVPEdit and reversed the "2004 face" setting for all 3 players (so that they are now correct). I started up the game again, and this time, all 3 faces displayed correctly.

I'll go through the faces of all the players and make sure that the "2004 face" flag is set properly for all of them in the TC4 rosters. This will help everyone with lower end graphics cards.

Thanks for finding this.

I don't know how detail oriented you guys are with the stances or attributes, but I figured I would add my two cents to see if you want any suggestions.

The batting stances for some of the 2000 Yankees seem off in my opinion.

I will list the player, then their current stance in the roster, and what I think it should be. (Some of my suggestions are based on their stances from the '96 or '98 Yankees). I will use the names from MVPedit.

Chuck Knoblauch - R.Carew / Crouched

Paul O'Neill - Generic / T.Helton

Jorge Posada - Generic / J.Posada

Scott Brosius - Lofton / Generic

Tino Martinez - Open / Generic

Also, I noticed while playing the 2000 Mets that Al Leiter's fastball velocity was set at 95, I'm not sure if I am right, but I thought he was closer to the 90-92 range.

I am only 18, so my knowledge of stats and other things about baseball pretty much lies in the 90's and today, however, I would love to help with making the rosters as good as they can be.

P.S. I can't wait to see the filled out 25 man rosters.

The 2000 Yankees have Chuck Knoblauch as a 2B, but that year he played LF/DH due to his throwing issues. Jose Vizcaino needs to be created for that team and either he or Luis Sojo needs to be the starting 2B.

Vizcaino, Bellinger, and Glenallen Hill were added to the team to make the 25 man roster. Knoblauch started out as the 2b and played about 80 games there but then was used as DH due to throwing problem. Vizcaino played rest of year at 2nd spelled by Sojo once in a while...

Jim - can you change the lineup info as detailed here?

Thanks,

Chris

Yes, I can make the changes, however, the Knoblauch position change is up for debate. Here is the breakdown of second basemen used by the Yankees in 2000. I got this info at baseball-reference.com. Here's the link: http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/2000.shtml

Second Base Inn GS G

------------+-----+-----+----

CKnoblauch 666 82 82

JVizcaino 385 38 62

LSojo 177 22 25

CBellinger 119 12 21

WDelgado 73 7 14

ASoriano 3 0 1

While Vizcaino played 62 games at 2B, he only started 38 of those games. In many of those games, he came in late in the game for his defense.

I also found some other interesting things at retrosheet.org. Knoblauch did not play between August 3rd, 2000 and Sept. 5th, 2000. After some further searching on the web, I found that he was on the DL for elbow tendinitis during that time. When he came back in Sept., he was the starting 2B again for most of the month. Knoblauch's move to LF did not occur until the 2001 season (he didn't play any games in LF in 2000).

As you can see, Knoblauch did start the majority of games at 2B for the Yankees, so I would argue that he should be listed as the second baseman on the 2000 Yankees roster.

You know what I think it might be? people remember the playoffs and WS...Knoblauch was DH in those games. So it really comes down to how should the rosters be reflected? He did start the majority of games for them at 2B but late in season and in post-season he was not the 2B.

Does not matter to me to be honest. In fact, people can change the lineups as they see fit in the game or MVPEDIT as well. I do think alot of people use TC as a way to replay World Series, such as 2000 Mets and Yankees. It really is splitting hairs at this point...

You know what I think it might be? people remember the playoffs and WS...Knoblauch was DH in those games. So it really comes down to how should the rosters be reflected? He did start the majority of games for them at 2B but late in season and in post-season he was not the 2B.

Does not matter to me to be honest. In fact, people can change the lineups as they see fit in the game or MVPEDIT as well. I do think alot of people use TC as a way to replay World Series, such as 2000 Mets and Yankees. It really is splitting hairs at this point...

That is basically the only issue to me. I know Knoblauch played alot of 2B during the season, but not in the playoffs. Obviously the choice is up to the individual user.

Vizcaino, Bellinger, and Glenallen Hill were added to the team to make the 25 man roster. Knoblauch started out as the 2b and played about 80 games there but then was used as DH due to throwing problem. Vizcaino played rest of year at 2nd spelled by Sojo once in a while...

Jim - can you change the lineup info as detailed here?

Thanks,

Chris

I noticed that Chris Turner (backup C) was not on the team, maybe he is needed more than Bellinger, since they have other backup IFers and OFers already on the team. The choice is up to you.

I noticed that Chris Turner (backup C) was not on the team, maybe he is needed more than Bellinger, since they have other backup IFers and OFers already on the team. The choice is up to you.

When adding players to the team, I pretty much went by number of games played. Bellinger should have been on the roster in first place since he appeared in 97 games. Turner appeared in 36 as a catcher. The case could be made that the roster should always have a min of 2 catchers, but in this case, Leyritz can serve as backup catcher if needed.

C

The case could be made that the roster should always have a min of 2 catchers, but in this case, Leyritz can serve as backup catcher if needed.

Well instead of arguing who should be in the roster, may I suggest and kindly ask if Jim825 or capa to make a WS roster version of those 90's Yankees? That way we can choose to use mbe file to overide the current roster. For me reliving the WS is better because Leyritz left the team and didn't contribute to the title. While other may like to play a whole season with players that played most amount of game even though they were traded for each other,ex : Ricky Ledee for David Jusitce.

I know someone will say why don't u do it yourself? As a modder myself I want to use my energy more of getting those face done than putting the name and stat. Now that I am back to school I don't have the time as I had before so if U guy can consider a WS roster I will deeply appreciate it.

Capa, u are working closely with AlexTony regarding the rosters ???

i think less debating and more roster corrections need to happen. lol.

Fuzz - Not to worry. Capa, Tony and I are working together closely.

By the way, isn't it time to update your sig? It still points to TC2!

Forgive me for posting this here because it is not a roster correction, but it is a correction nonetheless. The uniform of the 1971 Pirates did not have pinstripes or the old fashioned style hat. (The hat with the big white circle around it) This uniform was worn by the Pirates in the late 70's but not back in 1971.

We did the best we could when it came to assigning uniforms. The 70's style uniforms we assigned to both the '71 and '79 Pirates were part of the retro uniforms that were included with MVP2005.

Uniform selection is a subjective area and we figured that these uniforms would be better for the '71 and '79 Pirates than either the '60 Pirates uniforms or the 2005 Pirates uniforms. This is about as good as we can do unless someone creates year-specific uniforms for these teams.

Yes, Jim is correct. We assigned the uniforms that were available from stock or made by the modders for the same year or the closest to.

There is an away uniform for the '71 Pirates that is right on but

a home for that year was not created

As posted earlier there is no exact for the away '75 BoSox, both

H & A '46 St L Cards, and a few more

'IF' any become available and they are UL and permitted to use

we will get them in for the next release

I'll go through the faces of all the players and make sure that the "2004 face" flag is set properly for all of them in the TC4 rosters. This will help everyone with lower end graphics cards.

Thanks for finding this.

Thanks for your help on that, Jim. The wraparounds were a distraction and the new 2005 faces made by the TC team are awesome even in lower resolutions. Looking forward to the various fixes and new stuff in TC4.

Firstly, nice job on TC3 guys, looking pretty good. Noticed a few things in my games with Y4L;

Josh Gibson of the '34 Crawfords is underrated. A few excerpts I've found from various sources;

Gibson reportedly never hit fewer than 60 home runs in the seasons he barnstormed with the Crawfords.

Gibson is often referred to as the black Babe Ruth for his ability to hit tape-measure homers, and he also hit for incredibly high averages.

"He hits the ball a mile," Hall of Famer Walter Johnson, the Washington Senators pitcher who won 416 games, said of Gibson.

Satchel Paige, who was Gibson's teammate on the Pittsburgh Crawfords and later pitched for the Cleveland Indians, said, "He was the greatest hitter who ever lived."

In various publications, the 6-foot-1, 215-pounder has been credited with as many as 84 homers in one season. His Hall of Fame plaque says he hit "almost 800" homers in his 17-year career. His lifetime batting average was higher than .350, with one book putting it at .384, best in Negro League history.

It was reported that he won nine home-run titles and four batting championships playing for the Crawfords and the Homestead Grays. In two seasons in the late 1930s, it was written that not only did he hit higher than .400, but his slugging percentage was above 1.000.

Belting home runs of more than 500 feet was not unusual for Gibson. One homer in Monessen, Pa., reportedly was measured at 575 feet. The Sporting News of June 3, 1967 credits Gibson with a home run in a Negro League game at Yankee Stadium that struck two feet from the top of the wall circling the center field bleachers, about 580 feet from home plate. Although it has never been conclusively proven, Chicago American Giants infielder Jack Marshall said Gibson slugged one over the third deck next to the left field bullpen in 1934 for the only fair ball hit out of the House That Ruth Built.

He's probably the best hitter ever to have played baseball, Babe Ruth included, so why is he rated so far under him? Don't get me wrong, I like The Babe, but from looking at the records and accounts, Josh Gibson was a better hitter.

Also, there is a guy on the '34 Crawfords named One Pitcher.

Joe DeMaestri's ('61 Yankees) batting ratings are set to 3/5 and 3/0 against lefties and righties respectively.

Maybe this is just me, but looking at the rosters as a whole, speed seems to be very under-rated. '98 Yankees, Tino Martinez has 35 speed (then he suddenly developed another 21 points over 2 years, as the 2000 Yankees roster shows). Chilli Davis has 20. '78 Dodgers - Joe Ferguson, 25. Steve Yaeger, 10. Dusty Baker, 46. '65 Indians - Fred Whitfield, 30. Joe Azcue, 34. Duke Sims, 30. 2000 Mets - Matt Franco, 10. Edgardo Alfonzo, 34. Todd Pratt, 10. Mike Piazza, 22. Derek Bell, 39. I don't get it. Why?

Another one that's baffling me is fastballs. Why do some of them have movement?

Finally, is there a list of uniforms that are hi-resolution? I just played 2 lag filled games with Y4L, and only at the end of the second one did I find out that it was most likely my graphics card struggling to keep up with the detail levels. Any chance of a low quality version of these uniforms?

That's all for now, I'll post if and when I find any more issues.

Great job!

Archived