Random Thoughts On A Sunday Morning Updated To 11-19

Yankee4Life

I went to Cooperstown in '95 when Schmidt and Richie Ashburn (me and my dad's favorites as kids) went in and thoroughly loved it. Yes it was crowded as hell considering most of Philadelphia also made the trip but my uncle lived in Schenectady then and let me stay with him the night before and after induction day. I made the 90-minute drive into town at daybreak and parked behind some school and hiked a mile or so into town. Made a beeline for the Museum, the ticket is good all day, come and go as you please, so I just did a quick look around before checking out Doubleday Field and some of the town shops (Joe Amalfitano was signing, and he looked creepy) and got lunch. Didn't feel like I got gouged. Then went to the big field were the ceremony is held and heard the speeches. Many left after that so I went back to the museum and did a leisurely stroll through the whole thing, by that time the new plaques were up and the gift shop (dad gave me a list) was less of a mob scene. By the time I had my fill it was sundown and I left in no traffic.

Gotta differ with you on boxing movies.  Cinderella Man was great.  

I never considered that one simply because I never heard of it. If I get a chance I will watch it.

What makes his private conversation seem so bad, is that is what he really feels if he even would say that in private.  Being a manager for a long time, we take all kind of courses on perception, diversity, etc.  This will be hard for him to come back from for sure.

Yes, this will be hard for him to come back from. No doubt.

The thing is we don't know how he really feels. You want to know how someone really feels about things you get to know them. People now are easily offended and quick to jump on anyone.

Let's speculate here for a minute, shall we? Pretend that someone has a device that can access all the conversations you have had in let's say the past ten years. These would be private ones in your home, over friends and families houses and in public. Sounds crazy but let's just say for the sake of argument that it can be done. Would you be 100% secure in the knowledge that you've never said anything that would make the PC people frown down at you? You couldn't, I couldn't and no one can. Hell, I write in this thread every week and my goal is to try to keep things interesting so people read each week. What if I were a public figure? The things I say about Muslims would get a lot of fingers wagging at me.

Hogan said all that stuff. It wasn't meant for anyone to hear. He should not be penalized like he is.

I went to Cooperstown in '95 when Schmidt and Richie Ashburn (me and my dad's favorites as kids) went in and thoroughly loved it. Yes it was crowded as hell considering most of Philadelphia also made the trip but my uncle lived in Schenectady then and let me stay with him the night before and after induction day. I made the 90-minute drive into town at daybreak and parked behind some school and hiked a mile or so into town. Made a beeline for the Museum, the ticket is good all day, come and go as you please, so I just did a quick look around before checking out Doubleday Field and some of the town shops (Joe Amalfitano was signing, and he looked creepy) and got lunch. Didn't feel like I got gouged. Then went to the big field were the ceremony is held and heard the speeches. Many left after that so I went back to the museum and did a leisurely stroll through the whole thing, by that time the new plaques were up and the gift shop (dad gave me a list) was less of a mob scene. By the time I had my fill it was sundown and I left in no traffic.

You my friend got lucky. I am glad you had a good time there. It really is a wonderful place to visit.

We all have our moments when we say something stupid of coarse.  I still believe that if you say something privately around a friend or family it is what you basically think.  You can get mad real quick and mumble off something stupid in the heat of an argument, but if you are just talking to friends or family and say that.....I think it speaks for itself.  When he says I hate wrestling black guys...need I say more.  Can't really defend that one for him.  

We all have said something or another about another race.  Doesn't make it right, but it will happen from time to time.  It is the side effect of us all living side by side to one another.  Some people just take it way to far and really hate the other races.  I have friends of all colors, some since Kindergarten still and we have our spats from time to time.  That is what being with people for 35+ years will cause.  Intentionally taking a jab at someone and using race as the insult is another story.

For example:  If you at home watching the news and you are watching war stories and ISIS news and you say " stupid towel heads"  you mean that. There is no defending that. It is full blown racist comment.  Saying something because someone is not there doesn't make it non racist. 

We all have our moments when we say something stupid of coarse.  I still believe that if you say something privately around a friend or family it is what you basically think.  You can get mad real quick and mumble off something stupid in the heat of an argument, but if you are just talking to friends or family and say that.....I think it speaks for itself.  When he says I hate wrestling black guys...need I say more.  Can't really defend that one for him.  

But you should not be penalized for what you say in private and especially when you do not know you are being recorded. Even though we all can say yeah, that wasn't the smartest thing to say or even the right thing to say it was said behind closed doors. That guy that owned the Clippers was in the same situation with that gold digger he was seeing. 

For example:  If you at home watching the news and you are watching war stories and ISIS news and you say " stupid towel heads"  you mean that. There is no defending that. It is full blown racist comment.  Saying something because someone is not there doesn't make it non racist. 

I've said worse about those killers and will continue to. I have no respect for people who cut off their prisoners heads or set people on fire.

But you should not be penalized for what you say in private and especially when you do not know you are being recorded. Even though we all can say yeah, that wasn't the smartest thing to say or even the right thing to say it was said behind closed doors. That guy that owned the Clippers was in the same situation with that gold digger he was seeing. 

I've said worse about those killers and will continue to. I have no respect for people who cut off their prisoners heads or set people on fire.

Its a double edge for sure.  I do agree about the head cutters, but was just using an example. Have a great day!

Updated to 8-2

...Positively shocking. That was my reaction to what the Yankees did last week during trade time. I realize that these guys are linked to every player that's on the market every year but for them not to bite and get a starting pitcher? Ivan Nova's got a tired arm or some kind of crap going on with him, Michael Pineda's on the fifteen-day disabled list but that doesn't seem to be serious and C.C. Sabathia is still going out there every fifth day and making the opposing teams very happy by doing so. I expected the Yankees to get a pitcher but I was glad that they didn't. Texas gave Philadelphia a bag of balls for Cole Hamels but if the Yankees had been able to pry him away from the Phillies they would have had to give up some real players. It would have been interesting to see David Price in a Yankee uniform and now all I can hope for is that the players that Detroit got from Toronto never pan out and it takes them twenty years to play .500 baseball again. Johnny Cueto and Adrolis Chapman were too rich for the Yankees but then the Reds managed to turn a blind eye when the Royals inquired about Cueto. But they could not go the entire week without making some kind of deal and that's probably why they acquired Dustin Ackley from Seattle. The guy's never done anything in the past so there is every reason to believe he will continue doing the same thing. I'm happy for what Brian Cashman did last week because when other teams come to trade with the Yankees they demand more than what they ask for from anyone else in baseball. We've got some pretty good prospects down in the minors. I'd rather see them play in New York than someplace else.

...I was just thinking the other day, whatever happened to that speed-up-the-game talk that they were talking about over spring training? Has anyone watched David Ortiz at the plate lately? He steps out so much and for so long that he has time to go make a sandwich between pitches. 

...Last week an alligator was discovered by grounds crew workers and players in the visitor's dugout of the Port Charlotte Stone Crabs, the class A Advanced team of the Tampa Bay Rays. They had no idea how long the ten-foot gator got into the stadium or into the dugout. It was probably hungry and was waiting for the concession stands to open. Now here's the funny part to me. The team called someone from the county to get the alligator out of the dugout and members of the grounds crew drove it to the pond behind the parking lot and let it go. You don't think he's going to find his way back in the stadium at some point? Maybe next time you won't spot him although if they had let it stay right where it was there would be a brand new meaning to home field advantage.

...The Detroit chapter of the Satanic Temple unveiled a bronze Baphomet sculpture at an industrial building near the Detroit River last week before hundreds of supporters last week. The nine-foot-tall monument weighing one ton was hidden away until the last moment because of fears that pesky Christians would find out where the ceremony was going to be held at and ruin their fun. These people picked the right city for revealing this statue because Detroit has already gone to hell anyway. 

It kind of makes me wonder what else they could do to involve themselves in the Detroit community even more after this...

1. The Satanic Temple could sponsor Little League teams and supply all red uniforms with the devil looking terrifying and breathing fire.

2. Scholarships will be given out to the kid who commits the most heinous crime during the school year.

3. They could rent ad space at all the major sports venues in Detroit telling everyone to come on down and have a look around and bring a friend.

4. To make some extra cash they could rent out their venue to the Muslims because that's the only religion that gets what Satanism is all about.

5. They could hire Iron Maiden to make a special recording of Shout at the Devil and have them rename it Shout at a Christian.

...I can see one of these atrocities being erected in Boston. Talk about being made for each other.

...Speaking of Boston, they were  the United States' selection in the bidding process for the 2014 Summer Olympics but Boston mayor Marty Walsh withdrew their bid because he expressed concerns about a provision which requires the host city to cover any cost overruns and if that happened it could be  financially burdensome to Boston for years to come. And he has a hell of a point. Beijing, China had to fork over forty-three billion in 2008 and in Sochi, Russia for the Winter Games it cost them a cool fifty-one billion last year. So while Mr. Walsh may not be mayor in nine years he did everyone there and whomever the mayor is in 2024 a huge favor.

...It took five weeks for him to mull over it but NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has upheld the four-game suspension that Tom Brady received for his part in deflating the footballs against the Colts in the AFC Championship game back in January. The thing that Goodell could not get past or even remotely understand is why Brady had to destroy his cell phone as soon as he found out that the investigator on this case wanted to see it. That made him look just as guilty as someone who runs to the bathroom and starts flushing stuff down the toilet because they saw D.E.A. people running up his driveway preparing to knock the front door in. So because of that four games he was given and four games he is going to get. The only people who are going to believe him from now on will be the people living in the greater Boston area and to say that those people are a terrible judge of character would be an understatement.

...If a ballplayer could get an Emmy I'd give one to Shane Victorino, formally of the Red Sox and now of the Angels. He cried at just the right moments and said just the right things as he was heading west out of Boston last week. Thanking those fans who have been on his case since the 2014 season? And he said it so sincerely too. Straight to Hollywood as soon as his career is done. This guy's got potential.

...Who wants to bet that the patients from that Minnesota dentist that shot that lion are going to go elsewhere from now on?

...A man in Milwaukee shot and injured a pit bull last Thursday because he mistook it for a lion that people have reported seeing lately around the city. I can understand his concerns because I wouldn't want to see any lion if it wasn't in its cage but how the hell could you not tell the difference between a dog and a lion? This is what happens when idiots own guns.

...What the hell was it with the lions last week?

...Although I have not seen it around here yet funeral parlors across America are branching out to host weddings, receptions, community banquets and even proms during the times when their main business slows down a bit. Part of the reason for that is the cost of a funeral has been skyrocketing and more people are choosing to be cremated instead of buried. I can see why they are trying to expand their business a little but I don't know if I would have been comfortable getting married in a funeral home although after you get married you are dead anyways so you may as well do it in the right place. :D

...I guarantee you no woman will like that joke.

...After watching that video about the Florida gun owner who declared his gun supply shop a "Muslim-free zone" I take back a lot of the things that I have said about Florida in the past. Or maybe the guy is not even from Florida which is probably the case. The guy decided to do this because of what happened in Chattanooga and predictably there are complaints about this especially from an organization called CAIR (Council on American-Islamic Relations) who are complaining that Muslims are being targeted here because of who they are. No kidding? The guy's going straight to the source. And it's about time. 

...There was a theft of twenty-eight thousand pounds of packaged nuts recently in suburban Detroit and while they steal everything there this one was kind of odd. The police even had a little fun with it as they posted a mug shot of a squirrel on their Facebook page as a possible culprit. Maybe so, but my money is on Miley Cyrus. With the set of choppers she has I wouldn't put this past her.

...There is a Michigan AAU (Amateur Athletic Union) basketball team named the Motor City Muslims. No kidding. Not even I could come up with something like that. It's a team made up of all young Muslim players and while they may not have a lot of what it takes to be a successful basketball team, height, ball control, defense, etc. other teams are wary to play against them because they don't know what will happen to them after the game if they win. Each cheerleader for the Motor City Muslims wields her own machete and the fans are armed with rocks to shoot at the opponents at a moments notice. With support like that they'll never lose a game.

...I have an even better reason not to shell out money to get HBO now because the network just signed Bill Simmons to do a weekly talk show beginning in October. It's supposed to feature stories and guests from across the world of sports but the way this guy is it means the sports world from one end of Boston to the other. If it's not the four major teams from that city then he won't have anything to do with it. The next time I want to hear about this guy is when HBO sends him packing.

...It seems that the people who are in the Jurassic Park movies never seem to learn because they keep on making new dinosaurs and then act surprised when one of them turns around and steps on them or eats them whole because in 2018 a sequel to Jurassic World is coming out and all I can say about that is thank God for that. Because if they are dumb enough to keep on making a Tyrannosaurus Rex and believe they can control it like it was a dog, then I'll be glad to watch them run around and scream. :D

...Have you heard about what San Francisco has done? They have a problem with public urination in some places so now they have nine public walls covered with a repellant paint that makes pee spray back on the person's shoes and pants. I hope this doesn't catch on to other cities though. Can you imagine if Boston did this? More than half of the city would be walking around smelling like a dirty restroom. :D

...Taking it a step farther how did they know when that paint was ready to be used? What the hell did they do, get some volunteers and ask them to go over there and piss on the wall and see what happens? :D

...What a shock it was to find out that Roddy Piper died last Friday in his sleep from a heart attack. He was from the era when I actually watched wrestling every week when the USA Network used to air WWF news and matches on Monday nights. Piper was hilarious as the bad guy and I did my best never to miss a segment of Piper's Pit. The best one was when he smashed a coconut over the head of crybaby Jimmy Snuka and smeared a banana in his face. Sounds like fun? I got the video link for you. Piper was a wrestling genius. And he's gone too soon. R.I.P.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKXpSyjfIik

God dammit the video does not show up. WHAT THE HELL???

I haven't done this in quite awhile, so here goes nothing. Just some brief thoughts.

How bout those Yankees this year...specifically ARod and Tex, who have risen from the dead. I cannot believe how good they have been, both power and their approach at the plate. Clearly the two most consistent threats in this surprisingly great offense the Yankees have supplied this year. Chris Young has been a gem (sorry Mets fans) hitting well over .300 against LHP.

Boston Red Sox, talk about a trainwreck. Their CEO is now out and apparently word was they tried dumping Sandoval on someone elses hands at the deadline. Speaking of, the Padres who did nothing at the deadline. Somebody needs to tell AJ Preller this isn't MLB The Show.

On the pitching front, it's been a bit of a struggle. Im looking at you rotation. Tanaka has been up and down, Pineda is now hurt, Nova is a box of chocolates, and then there is CC. Breaks my heart to see him struggle like this. If you couldn't tell by my name I am/was one of his biggest supporters. How could you not be when he was in his prime? dude threw gas with nasty offspeed and you could count on 7+ from him every time out. This is something the Yankees are lacking at the moment. I guess the bullpen has been pretty good at least.

I am with you Y4L. I am also happy Cash didn't move any of the key farm pieces. Severino is gonna toe the rubber against Boston next week, I for one and just about the whole Yankee fanbase are really excited for this kid. Scouts have raved about him and why not? he's dominated the minor leagues. Let's see what he can do. For the first time in a awhile, the Yankees have some intriguing young players knocking on the door down at Triple A. Aaron Judge the imposing RF who looks like he should be playing football, Greg Bird who could be Texs successor, and others like Gary Sanchez who is having a damn fine year and looks to be finding his groove after prospect fatigue the last few years.

Now I just realized this wasn't all that brief. It looks as if I got carried away, haha. The Yankees are in 1st place, and I am loving it. I really, really hope they make a return to the postseason. 3 years is to long for this diehard Yankee fan.

Edited by TheSabathiaEra

Updated to 8-9

...I know that the Blue Jays are one of the Yankees rivals but I was happy to see them knock around the Royals last weekend in Toronto. Kansas City gets one little whiff of success and it goes right to their heads. 

...I can not stand buying software when they only give you a license that is only good for one year.

...Pete Rose spent Wednesday in Beverly Hills taking a lie-detector test as another attempt to show new commissioner Rob Manfred that he is on the up-and-up and deserves a second chance. The results of the test were not made public as they were only mailed to Manfred but a source says that Rose got so mixed up with some of the questions that he broke the machine.

...It must be nice being Kylie Jenner because all I ever see her do is stand in front of a mirror and take pictures of herself.

...I almost feel bad for the Miami Marlins players because it seems every off season Jeffery Loria builds that team up only to tear it apart. And I am sure to this day people in Montreal would like to kill him.

...All of a sudden the Yankees forgot how to hit just when they needed it the most. Pitiful.

...And honestly, how stupid are the Yankees? Wait, don't tell me. I already know. Every time they trade with the Seattle Mariners they always seem to get a Seattle player with a hidden injury and they keep coming back for more. Three years ago they got Michael Pineda who soon needed shoulder surgery and was lost to them for quite some time. He's just now beginning to prove his worth to the team although we won't be seeing him until September. Seems as if he still can't escape his Mariner habits of getting hurt for long periods of time. Five years ago they screwed the Yankees over on the Cliff Lee trade because of ridiculous demands and now Dustin Ackley. This stupid SOB plays a few games for the Yankees and then as you can guess he went on the disabled list for a herniated disk last Tuesday. That is something that takes its time to heal and the Mariners must be having a good laugh right now knowing they got rid of this waste. 

...When a little nine-year-old boy who had such a love for baseball and had so much joy being a team's batboy dies only because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time it kind of makes you question the meaning of things at times. There are so many bad people still walking around today doing terrible things to other people that it makes you wonder why this little boy is not with us any longer. When things like this happen religious leaders are compelled to tell us that there is a "purpose" in what happened. God's will. Sometimes I think they really believe this and sometimes I think they are just saying it. God's will is something that takes place that you do not quite understand and we are not smart enough to understand why. That really sums up what happened last Sunday. All I do understand is that a little kid who loved this game is gone now and the player that accidentally hit him in the head with his bat is never going to be the same.

...This is good. Now an NFL  supervisor of officials has come out and said that footballs are subject to losing air because they're "man-made products." How do you like that? It took them awhile but the Patriots finally found someone they could bribe just so they could plant doubt in people's minds or at least all the people that do not live in Boston. They've already believed Tom Brady's story anyway. In a way you really got to give them credit. When Boston cheats they go all the way and hold nothing back.

...Go West Young Man, Dept: A five-hundred-sixty pound man is so determined to lose weight that he is attempting to bike across the United States in order to do it. I give the guy credit right there for even attempting this. He started his trip in Massachusetts and so far has made it to Rhode Island, ninety miles from where his trip began but he has been stuck there since last week because of a bent rim on his bike. I wonder how that happened? A bicycle company sponsoring this guy has been busy making a new bike for him that can withstand his weight. My guess is that it will be so heavy that if anyone tries to steal it they had better bring help. The only advice I would give this guy is to try and avoid Pennsylvania at all costs. There's a lot of hills in that state. I didn't like driving there let alone riding a bike there. Best of luck!

...How stupid are people, really? Just last month a guy blew his head off by lighting a firework off it and another guy jumped into a lake that was full of alligators and before he knew what happened he became a quick snack. Now a man from San Diego was recently released from the hospital because he was trying to take a selfie with a rattlesnake. Well, at the time it seemed like a good idea to him. The bite from the rattler was nothing compared to the bite he received when he was given his hospital bill when he was discharged. For his up close and personal moment with the snake he was charged over $153,000 in services from the hospital including over $83,000 for a pharmacy charge because his treatment depleted the anti-venom supplies at two local hospitals. His insurance covered nothing from his hospital visit and he has to foot this bill all out of his own pocket. I bet when he first got a look at that bill he probably wished he were an illegal alien. 

...Cops in Minnesota pulled over a kid who was driving his truck with three people soaking in a makeshift pool in the bed of his pickup. Damn, give the kid a break. How long does summer last in Minnesota, two weeks? Let them enjoy themselves. Swimming in a pool does make a lot more sense in every way possible and it's safer than driving around in a mobile pool but knowing how to have fun in the sun is not something that people from that part of the country are known for. Now if you ask them about how to ice fish they'll know what to do.

...I would like to commend those three Chechen women for conning $3,300 from Islamic State recruiters although I don't know how wise it really was to do something like that. It's like poking a hornet's nest with a stick. What they did was illegal and they are currently under investigation for fraud because the ISIS boys were expecting them to travel from Chechnya to Syria to help make dinner for them. I don't know if they will actually be charged for anything because I wouldn't expect ISIS to send someone to collect on the money they were scammed out of although if I were them I'd do the sensible thing and move out of town.

...There's competition in everything, Dept: Believe it or not there is a bar in Huntley, Illinois that has been having a Turkey Testicle Festival for thirty-two years now that is held in November right around Thanksgiving. Apparently their is a lot more testicles to go around because now another town is having their own Testicle Festival. Try to say that without laughing. The town organizers in East Dundee are having it on the exact same day as the old pros in Huntley are having theirs and are calling it the same thing. One of the officials in East Dundee said their event is going to be "family-oriented." I'd like to see how the hell they are going to pull that off. Come on honey, tell the kids to get their coats on. We're going to go eat some turkey balls. As if Thanksgiving wasn't bad enough for the turkey population.

...I read last week that the Dodgers are paying 87.5 million dollars to players who are not even playing for them this year. That is more money than the Marlins, Astros, Rays, A's and Indians were paying on their season-opening rosters back in April. And people gave the Yankees crap all these years.

...Law enforcement officials in Massachusetts are trying a new approach to the war on drugs as they are attempting to  reach out to drug dealers who want to eliminate their competition. On their Facebook page they have set up a  a fill-in-the-blank form that provides them the person's name, address, phone number, what drugs they're selling and where they are being sold. There's other information that they are asking too like when is the best time to catch them at their job and what is their favorite corner to work out of. I'm not sure if this is going to work but if it does everybody in Boston will be turning each other in.

...Maybe you'd want to blame it on the summer time. Kids have all this free time and they tend to get bored and they have to go find things to do. Or maybe that had nothing to do with it and this kid was simply sick in the head. I can't think of any other excuse for an eleven-year-old Detroit boy to swipe a loaded pistol from his father's closet and sneak it outside. If you haven't heard what happened you can probably figure out the rest. He got the gun and aimed it at small boy and shot him to death maliciously and with intent. This toddler had no chance as he was dead on arrival when he got to the hospital. The kid has been charged with manslaughter and because of his age he probably won't see the inside of a jail until he gets older and shoots a few more people. People are giving the boy's father a lot of grief for having the gun hidden in his closet but they forget this is Detroit and one can assume the man has to use it three or four times a week just so he can go outside to see if the mail came. Yeah, he should have had it locked up but no one made that kid go there to get it. 

...That was one hell of a move by the Cleveland Indians to get rid of a serviceable Michael Bourn and a useless Nick Swisher to the Atlanta Braves. They'll never miss Swisher. The guy is so bad that the Yankees were not even willing to re-sign him after the 2012 season and as long as you have a pulse those guys will re-sign anybody. Swisher's true worth was mugging for the cameras and giving good interviews but as far as driving in runs, hitting for average and carrying his weight in the post-season the guy had no value at all. 

...What the hell is going on with the violence in our movie theaters now? Not too long ago all I had to worry about when I went there was how much they raised the price of popcorn to and if people around me would keep quiet when the movie was being played. How did these places become an attraction for the crazies in this country? I can envision people patting you down before you walk in the movies in the future and that's not going to help me at all because in the winter time when I go to see a movie I run to Walgreens first because they sell movie candy for less there. They give me a pat-down they're going to find my stash. :D

Updated to 8-16

...I saw Brett Gardner get hit by that return throw by the fan in the left field bleachers after Toronto hit a home run last Sunday. It was one of the last things I saw in that game before it put me to sleep. The kid that threw the ball back on the field was warned by Yankee Stadium security, mainly because they had to show people that they were doing their job even though the kid did not mean to do it. But then I thought of something. This could quickly turn into a tradition at Fenway Park except when those people throw the ball back on the field it won't be by accident.

...I had no idea what the entire Megyn Kelly and Donald Trump thing was all about because I did not bother to watch the Republican debates and if there are any more of them coming up I won't be tuning into those either. For what it's worth I won't be watching the Democratic ones either.

...A three-year-old girl was accidentally left behind by her parents for more than two hours at a rest stop in southern France last week and luckily for the little girl another family who was at the rest stop noticed her alone for awhile and looked after her until they called the police and had them get in contact with her family, which at that point was more than ninety miles away. The girl's parents heard a radio message from the police letting them know they left something behind and a few hours later the nervous couple was re-united with their daughter. Charges were not filed against the couple because after all this was France and not the U.S. If these people made this mistake here social services would take the kid away until she was eighteen and throw the parents in jail and the story would be cover on the latest issue of People. Something like this almost happened to my wife and I once when we were on one of our visits to her hometown. I said almost. We stopped at a thruway stop to get a quick lunch and she decided to go into the gift shop to look around. Naturally she found something she just had to buy and when she was checking out the cashier commented on the purse she had. One thing led to another and they are talking about purses for five minutes. When it was time for her to leave she left her phone on the counter and she did not find this out until we had already left and were back on the road for about five minutes. I can still hear the screams when she realized what she had done. We had to get off at the next exit and double back the ten miles or so just so we could retrieve the phone. Ever since that day I would not leave anywhere until she showed me her phone.

...Next month one lucky contestant will win a sleepover at Fenway Park hosted by Curt Schilling and from the sound of it someone is in for quite a treat. Schilling will take the winner on a tour around Fenway Park, play catch with him out on the field, watch the start of the Yankee - Red Sox game from the Green Monster and then sit in front-row seats with Luis Tiant. After the game dinner will be provided along with other things before the lucky winner puts on his Red Sox pajamas and heads off to bed. The website to enter the contest is right here. I will not be throwing my name in the mix here because with my luck I'd win. :D

...Thanks but no thanks, Dept: For as much as I hate the Boston Red Sox, even I will not go as far as saying that they are an organization of stupid individuals attempting to run a baseball team. For example, I like how they depend on their farm system to stock their roster. This is something the Yankees are finally re-learning. So when I read that David Ortiz wants them to get his input before adding new players next year I didn't think anything of it because Ortiz has an over-inflated opinion of himself. This puts the Red Sox in a tough bind because while as much as they probably want to tell Ortiz to shut up and hit they can't tell him to shut up and hit because then he'll pout and get mad again and next season they will have their hands full with him because it'll be time for Ortiz to bellyache about a new contract and history tells us how classy he is when that is going on. I'd call Ortiz a horse's ass but I won't because I have nothing against horses.

...And to answer your question, no, I never get tired of hating on this son of a *^$%@.

...Best of luck to Red Sox manager John Farrell as he battles stage one lymphoma. He'll be missing the remainder of the season to deal with this and I hope that it all turns out well and we see him again down in Florida for the beginning of the 2016 season.

...The first thing that I thought of when I heard that Geno Smith of the Jets broke his jaw in a fight with a teammate? Thank God it wasn't the Raiders. I wasn't even interested in the details. Let the Jets and everyone else have the problems. I'm just concerned with Oakland.

...Seattle has just passed what they call a gun violent tax where whomever purchases a gun within the city limits will have to pay a twenty-five dollar tax on guns and five-cent tax on bullets. Proceeds from this would be used for prevention and research programs to reduce gun violence in Seattle. Can you imagine if Detroit did this? They'd be out of debt in less than a week.

...Because of what he says are mental health reasons Michael Sam announced last Friday that he is taking an hiatus from football. He may as well just say he is permanently retired because after this no football team in Canada and certainly not in the U.S. will give him another chance. The media loved this guy and they were openly rooting for him to be a great player in the NFL because of the gay angle. The stories they would have come up with if he ever made All-Pro. The truth is he wasn't good enough to play one game in the regular season. He was more famous for what he was than what he could do out on the football field so chances are this could be where his mental health issues could be coming from. Although they won't go on record for saying it I am sure that the people that are the happiest after hearing about Sam's decision are his former Montreal Alouettes teammates.

...Aaron Kromer, the offensive line coach for the Buffalo Bills, was suspended for six games by the team because of an assault and battery incident with a boy over the use of beach chairs which resulted in him punching the boy in his face. To top it off Kromer told one of the boys that if he reported him to the police, he would "kill his family." And this was over beach chairs. God knows what he would have done had someone taken his parking spot. :D

...Some guy who obviously had to be walking around with two hollow legs consumed (or inhaled, take your pick) two hundred forty one chicken wings in ten minutes at the Hooters Worldwide Wing Eating Championship in Florida last week. I'm not much of a chicken wing person but when there was a Hooters restaurant around here I was known to put away three chicken wings in one night. Not three dozen. Three. That's how much I don't eat chicken wings and that probably explains why people invite me along when they are in the mood to have them. But this guy who ate an entire chicken farm was amazing. I don't know how these people can do it. They must go through Alka Seltzer like nobody's business.

...Come to think of it I was in a contest like this once. I was about fourteen years old and I was challenged to a water drinking contest. The prize? Two packs of baseball cards. I drank four glasses of water but the other kid was coming on strong as he was finishing up his fourth glass and getting ready to grab his fifth which with the way I was going was probably going to be the winner. But then while he was on his fourth glass he threw up. I won.

...A three-hundred-sixty-four pound woman over in Europe is claiming that she is going blind because she has been drinking twenty-eight cans of Red Bull every single day. She gained so much weight from drinking seven litres of the energy drink that her brain has swollen and in her case it is as big as a golf ball now. She spent over nine thousand dollars a year on Red Bull and that is what she has been basically living on all these years. A typical can of Red Bull contains 80mg of caffeine, a stimulant, which raises the heart rate. Imagine downing twenty-eight of them day after day. That's almost two gallons a day. Because of this habit of hers she was suffering from migraines and headaches for about five years and then recently her vision went and she couldn't lift her head off her bed and was hospitalized for six days. It's amazing how much abuse your body takes until it finally decides no more. If this happened in America she would find some lawyer to sue Red Bull. After all, they're the ones that made that drink. :D

...A thirty-five-year-old man from Ohio had to spend two days in jail recently and pay over two hundred dollars in fines for a video he posted of himself hopping over a fence at the zoo to call the cougars that they had there over to him just so he could pet them. The guy was lucky that this is all that happened to him because he did not lose any fingers while he was petting the animals. I immediately thought the reason why he did this was on a dare or maybe to get himself some exposure on Youtube but it was nothing of the sort. As usual when something like this happens alcohol plays a part in it. After knocking off quite a number of beers one of his friends said to him "hey, let's go get us some cougars and have some fun" and in his drunken state he thought he meant the four-legged kind. :D

...I don't know why when people who park in handicapped parking spaces get mad when they are caught and either get a ticket or are forced to move their vehicle. I was coming out of a supermarket early last week and I caught the tail end of some woman's rant about her "just having to go in and get a few things" and that was a good enough reason for her to do what she did. It was her bad luck that a cop was in the parking lot at the time and he wasn't buying any of it because he pointed out to her that the lot wasn't full and she could have parked close to the door without taking a handicapped spot. Made sense to me I said to myself as I was loading my bags in the trunk of my car but she was having none of it. She still insisted on just needing to get a few things. And after she was given a ticket by the the police officer she left the grocery store with one more thing that she wasn't planning on getting. Sometimes you got to know when to quit when you are behind.

...R.I.P. Babe Ruth, sixty-seven years today.

Updated to 8-23

...I went to get a haircut last week which is really no big thing. There's not that much to talk about when you go to a place like that. You just sit down in the chair and let them have at it and then you're done. Except for this last time. When I was waiting my turn to get my cut two black women and a kid came in and one of them wanted to know if she could get a cut too. The barber explained to her that it was not a unisex salon but the woman didn't care about that. She wanted to have her head shaved completely bald. From what I could tell by just looking at her she had a very nice head of hair and I did not understand why she wanted to go around looking like a cue ball, but to each his own. I wanted to hang around to see the end result but I didn't so I'll just have to use my imagination on how it turned out. It would have been hilarious to see her change her mind once half her hair was laying on the barber shop floor but I was long gone at the time if anything like that happened. :D

...There are only a couple of weeks left in the International League season and for the second year in a row I have not managed to make it out to the ballpark at least one time. It's not that I don't have time for it because I do and the admission prices for minor league baseball is a lot more reasonable compared to what people who see major league games pay. I promised myself I would go to at least one this season. It has not been because of laziness but because of something else. I have developed a fear of crowds and I have no idea when or where I picked that up from. That's why I have been staying away. Not fun at all.

...It was reported last week that David Denson, a minor leaguer in the Milwaukee Brewers farm system, has become the first active player in professional baseball to reveal that he is gay. Well good for him but there was a guy named Glenn Burke who played for the Dodgers and Athletics in the 70's that had him beat by over thirty years. Never let the facts get in the way of a story. Denson struggled for a long time coming up with the right words to tell his teammates and when he finally did he found that many of them already had an idea that he was because he was the only guy on the team with an autographed 8x10 of Michael Sam hanging in his locker. :D

...Last Friday Super Mega Baseball was released for the PC. It's a game that generated a lot of interest here on the site and if you want to check it out for yourself here is the link for the game. Right now it is only $16.99 and you can get it at that price until August 28th. I am going to hold off on getting it until I get some feedback from other people in here. Two things I don't like about it already is that it will take one gigabyte of hard drive space to install and secondly you can't order the game and have it sent to your house. You have to purchase this game on Steam and that's something I'm not too familiar with. And if this game can be modded then I won't hesitate to shell out the money. One can only hope!

...If  you ever wanted to know how much junk you accumulate over the years just try cleaning out your garage.

...At the end of last week MLB announced a new domestic violence policy that the commissioner has full authority over. This means that the next time Miguel Cabrera hits his wife because he went 0 for 4 in the game the players union can't cry about it when he gets arrested and suspended. Same for that OJ wannabe over in Boston because he's nothing but a ticking time bomb. This policy also covers sexual assault and child abuse cases. MLB put this in place because like everyone else they have seen the NFL players hit their spouses and girlfriends just as bad as they hit their opponents. Here's hoping this new policy is never used.

...In the latest issue of Sports Illustrated there is an article about the contract talks between Derek Jeter and the Yankees back in 2010 which at one point were a little tense. I don't know what purpose it served to bring up what went on back then now because Jeter's not even playing anymore but it did tell a lot. If you recall this was the very first time the Yankees showed any backbone concerning Jeter where they actually treated him like a ballplayer instead of a God. I remember reading the Yankees telling him that if they did not like their offer he was free to look around to see if he could get a better one. In a sense they called Jeter's bluff and he stayed right where he was as they gave him another three-year contract with an option for a fourth year. Looking back they should have let him walk because he was a shell of his former self even though everyone around him still viewed him as the player he was during his first few years in the league. The article stated that during the negotiations Jeter asked Brian Cashman who he would rather have playing shortstop and to Jeter's surprise Cashman told him Troy Tulowitzki and was prepared to mention some other players but Jeter heard enough. Even though Jeter got his contract extension with a nice raise he was still resentful that the Yankees were prepared to let him walk. Then again, where was he going to go? He never would have been able to take over a team the same way he made the Yankees do what he wanted for his entire career there. 

...After everything I have been reading about Dave Dombrowski going to Boston the entire American League may as well not even show up for the regularly scheduled games next year because everything this guy touches turns to gold and because of that the Red Sox should win 150 games next year. They can't be expected to win them all because a handful of games will be lost on bad calls by the umpires. If this guy is so good why didn't Detroit do everything they could to keep him? And by the way good for Ben Cherington who told the Red Sox while he was packing up his stuff and walking out the door that he did not want the token title they were prepared to give him. 

...It is still unclear why he did it but some nut who was wearing a very realistic looking bear costume went up to a mother bear and two cubs trying to catch fish in Alaska last week and began harassing them. The guy took his life in his own hands as he began jumping up and down and actually got within five to ten feet of the two cubs but Momma bear wasn't too concerned because the guy looked too much like her unemployed brother-in-law to pose a real threat. :D

...Sometimes you read what people do and you say to yourself that there is no way you can make something like that up but then you read about it and you say to yourself there you have it. A couple in Pennsylvania decided to take their pet five-foot long boa constrictor for a swim last week (hey, it's been hot here on the east coast lately!) and somehow during the course of the swim the snake slithered and swam away. What did they expect it do, swim around in a circle and come back out and towel off? The snake has not been found yet but it's only a matter of time. As soon as someone hanging around the water starts screaming uncontrollably that means the snake turned up. But not to worry because the owners of the snake describe it as "very friendly." So friendly it will squeeze the life out of you.

...Anything but that, Dept: I'm not sure what this guy was thinking here when he made this decision. Maybe he saw one too many prison movies and it had a lasting effect on him but all that's clear is that a twenty-year-old kid from Texas walked into a courtroom facing an assault charge and left a married man. Seems as this guy got into a fight with the ex-boyfriend of his girlfriend a few months back and was arrested on a charge of assault causing bodily injury. When the case went up in front of a judge he was told that he would get probation if he married his girlfriend within thirty days, write Bible verses and attend counseling. If not, he would go to jail for fifteen days. Being that he was such a worldly guy who knew what prison was like since he saw The Shawshank Redemption and Cool Hand Luke more than a few times and wanted no part of it, he quickly got married. I give the marriage six months or whenever he gets into his next fist fight, whatever comes first. :D

...Another week goes by, another alligator story. And as another commentator in this thread said a few weeks back you can not blame the alligator for doing what is natural to them. A woman from Orlando, Florida decided to go swimming despite being warned by her friends not to because they observed a few alligators swimming around the area recently. Since there is no sure-fire way to fix stupid, she decided to go swimming anyway and it wasn't long until one of those gators that her friends saw earlier grabbed her and pulled her under. She lost count on how many times she was pulled under but it gave her friends time to come to her rescue and pull her out of the water, but not until the gator left a lasting mark that she will carry with her for the rest of her life as she suffered a lower arm amputation below the elbow. Because of this woman's inability to heed warnings and thick-headedness, the gator was captured and killed by Florida Fish and Wildlife officials. The next time I bet she won't go swimming when she isn't advised to but then again you never know.

...It was discovered last week via DNA testing that former President Warren Harding did in fact have a love child. It seems as if there were rumors about it for decades now but the tests proved without a doubt that Harding knocked someone up while his wife was having a tea party. Harding died in 1923. Does it really matter now if he did this or not? Who gives a damn?

...A couple were married in Algeria recently and everything was going just fine for them until the morning after the wedding when the brand-new groom woke up and took his first look at his brand new wife and when he did that he got the shock of his life. It seems that this was the first time that he laid eyes on her without her makeup on and he was so surprised that he originally thought the woman was a thief. After she convinced him that she was his wife that is when he got mad. He is now suing her for £13,000 (a little over twenty thousand dollars)  for fraud and “psychological suffering”. This guy is making it sound like he married someone who looked like Ashley Judd and woke up the next day with someone who looked like Ashley Olsen. The man said that he was deceived by her as she used to fill up her face with make up before their marriage. Women have been known to do that. They want to look their best and there is nothing wrong with it. I'd like to see what this guy's mug looks like. Chances are he has no room to talk.

...For all the excuses to hold a contest this one really got my attention. Down in Key West, Florida they hold an Ernest Hemingway look-alike contest each year just because they can and a retired air traffic controller took home this year's award with his resemblance to a white-haired and white-bearded Hemingway. It took this guy fifteen years to win this contest but he finally did it. He said what held him back in the past was his hair still had some color to it. That's perseverance for you although I have to wonder who the hell would want to look like Ernest Hemingway anyway?

...It is apparent now that when Subway cut ties with Jared Fogle that they knew what they were doing because the turkey-and-vegetable sub guy is expected to plead guilty to charges related to child pornography very soon now and with that it will mean some jail time. Nobody confesses to child porn unless they did it. Personally I don't understand the thrill some people get out of this because there are so many beautiful women out there who are over the age of twenty-one but that's how my eyes see it. Fogle's wife is not even waiting around when the dust settles because she's already filed for divorce. It's amazing how quickly you can lose it all.

Updated to 8-30

...I wasn't too broken up when I found out that C.C. Sabathia could miss the rest of the season. With the way this guy has been pitching he hasn't done the Yankees any good yet and here we are almost at the end of August. He has won seven games for the Yankees in the past two seasons while making twenty-three million dollars each year. Talk about stealing money. The funny part of all this is that he is due for a two million dollar raise next year so maybe he can win five games next year. It's no secret the Yankees got hosed in this deal but they did it to themselves so no one's going to feel too bad for them. I sure as hell don't. The best thing that Sabathia can do for the Yankees as they head into this stretch run is to stay off the mound for them because every time he was pitching you never wondered if he was going to implode. It was always what inning he was going to do it in.

...I don't give a damn if the Yankees scored fifteen runs the other night. Their hitting lately has been terrible and I don't see it getting any better and when the season is over and they look back on it this time they can't blame Kevin Long.

...And the MLB waiver deadline expires tomorrow. It will be interesting to see if the Yankees make a minor move to replace Sabathia on the roster. Then again teams may think they are desperate and will try to take advantage of it. Just once I'd like to see teams trade with the Yankees like they deal with the Red Sox. Sure, we'll take whomever you want to give us. You guys take what you want.

...The YES Network at times leaves a lot to be desired in terms of programming and nothing says it more than their replay of Yankee Classics that they broadcast from time to time. I've had YES since they started in 2002 and I think I've seen every Yankee classic game and that's not that hard to do because they recycle the same ones over and over again. The no-hitter games (Righetti, Gooden, Wells and Cone) the Ron Guidry eighteen strikeout game, the 1978 playoff in Boston, opening day from 1996 against Kansas City when it snowed, etc, etc. Don't misunderstand me they were all great games to see again but enough is enough. You can't tell me that they can't come up with any other games than the handful they keep throwing out there.

...For me, when the calendar turns over into September that is as depressing as being stuck on the east coast in the middle of winter. September means summer is almost done and we can see the end of it. The same for baseball season. Wasn't it recently opening day? September means the return to school and even though I've been done with it for years now I still get that brief couple of seconds of dread when August is no more. September means I have to start looking for my warm coats again and the hope that I washed them before I put them away at the end of May. September means the return of pro football and that includes all the crazy fans who hang around sports bars who have to out-drink and scream louder than everyone just to prove that they like their team a lot more than you do. September means that the Christmas displays and ads are not that far away. September gets a bad rap and I may add a well-deserved one.:unsure:

...A lion who lived in the same national park as the famed Cecil the Lion charged a walking safari tour last Monday and killed the safari guide who was in charge of it. The animal unexpectedly charged the photographic safari group and the guide managed to get everyone away to safety but the injuries he received from the lion proved to be too much and he died later in a local hospital. There's only one thing I don't quite understand here. This guided tour took place at the Hwange National Park, a park known for the home of some of the fastest and dangerous predators in the world. Why take a walking tour in a place like that? Your camera won't protect you if something really wants to get at you. 

...Somewhere in Africa by now that lion walked back to his pride and told everyone there that he got revenge for Cecil and he was feeling pretty good about himself until someone told him that he got the wrong guy because this one wasn't a dentist. :D

...Madden 16 came out for the console users last Tuesday and based on the reviews I have read this game has once again made its usual disappointing impression on football fans everywhere. This year's new gimmick to make you shell out another sixty (and up) dollars is new passing controls for you to master. You can have your receiver go for an 'aggressive' catch where they try to make a spectacular catch, a 'possession' catch where they try to make the catch but at the same time playing it safe and finally a 'run after catch' which is a catch that as soon as it is made the receiver quickly turns upfield for more yardage, which by the way is something they should be doing on just about every catch they make. But, that's what EA is selling this year and people will buy it. If EA ever came out and said that the only thing they will be doing in next year's game is updating the roster people will still pre-order it. When you are the only game in town you make your own rules.

...Because two more fans were carried out on stretchers last week (one in Detroit and one at Wrigley Field in Chicago) after being hit by baseballs the talk about putting up nets that extend beyond both baselines was brought up again. I'm not sure what these two people were doing before they got hit by the ball but my guess would be that they were not watching the game. Let me give you an example of what I mean from a game I went to a few years ago. I was sitting in the box seats on the first base side and we had two close calls and they both happened in the early innings. Both times right-handed hitters were up and they swung late on a pitch and lined the ball foul into the first base stands. It made everyone scatter and luckily no one was hurt but another foot one way or the other it would have hit someone that wasn't paying attention to begin with. All around me people were on their cell phones talking to someone or checking their messages. One girl was reading a magazine and one kid brought his iPad. They could have easily been hit and they wouldn't have known about it until it was too late. I guarantee something like this happened to one or both of these people but they just were not as lucky as the ones I observed. There is enough time for you to use your phone if you want at a game. Just do it between innings or during a pitching change. When the game's going on you got to be aware of where you are. The problem is people don't pay attention that much anymore and that's on them.

...It's not many times that I agree with Curt Schilling but when the guy is right, he's right. He posted a graphic that compared "extremist Muslims" to the Nazi regime. All it said was that 'it's said that only 5-10% of Muslims are extremists' and it went on to say that 'in 1940 only 7% of Germans were Nazis. How'd that go?' What did he say that was so wrong? The point he was trying to make was that a very small percentage of the German people were able to take control of that country and lead it into war. You can compare this to the large number Muslims who have never been involved with ISIS and want nothing to do with them. But because this country is so politically correct Schilling immediately deleted his post and began apologizing because God forbid he offended a terrorist. ESPN punished Schilling by removing him from broadcasting the Little League World Series last week. They did it because, well, who knows? Maybe they didn't want any of their broadcasters having opinions that may offend a group of people even though that group is doing their best to destroy America. All Cris Carter had to do was give an on-air apology after he told the rookies in 2014 to get a fall guy that they can trust to take the blame if they get in trouble. That's all that happened to him but with Schilling they had to suspend him. Like him or not this is the reason why Donald Trump is so popular now because he says what is on the minds of many people out there because he has no fear of the PC watchdogs that have been controlling everything for a long time now. Hell, even Sarah Palin made sense when she defended him and attacked ESPN. The only thing Schilling did wrong here was not stand by his comments because he was 100% right.

...Because of two separate movie theater attacks this summer Regal Cinemas will begin checking bags in movie theaters. They admit that it will inconvenience many people (and it will) but it's easy to understand what they are trying to do. What I don't understand is with the exception of women's purses why would people bring in bags to a movie theater anyway? They can frisk me all they want but in the winter time I go to Walgreens to buy the movie theater candy there because it's a lot cheaper. As long as they don't take away my contraband Milk Duds I am good to go. :D

...The mayor of New York and the Governor of the State of New York may not agree on everything but they are unified when they say that women posing nearly naked for photos with tourists wearing only body paint and a thong in exchange for cash  are breaking the law. With the exception of a Mormon family visiting from Utah who passed out from the shock no one has complained about the practice. :D

...Too little, too late, Dept: The NFL had plenty of time to elect Ken Stabler to the Hall of Fame before he died last month but they never got around to it. Last week the Pro Football Hall of Fame said that Stabler was one of the two senior nominees for induction and that could come as early as next year. Big deal. Stabler's last year in the league was in 1984 so they had plenty of time to give him this honor when he was still around. He played for Oakland when the Raiders were a team to be proud of and he deserved a lot better.

...There's a country called Uzbekistan (yeah, I never heard of it either) that has their own airline that is aptly named Uzbekistan Airways and either they have a lot of overweight people there or they are just trying to make a buck any way they can because besides the common practice of weighing a passenger's baggage they are now beginning to weigh the passengers themselves on upcoming trips. Lot of luck of that happening here because as soon as someone feels that they are charged for being too overweight you'll have another lawsuit to read about. Can you imagine if they did this with football teams? The only guys that would be considered underweight would be the kickers and punters. 

...Walmart showed once again how they are always thinking of their customers when they announced that they would stop selling the AR-15 and other semi-automatic rifles in their stores. Big deal. If they actually thought about the safety of their customers they wouldn't have sold them there to begin with.

...There is an online petition going around to stop some retailers from selling Caitlyn Jenner Halloween costumes that feature a knock-off of the same white dress that he/she/he/she flip a coin wore on the Vanity Fair cover a few months back. The transgender community is protesting the sales of this because they say it promotes transphobia by reducing Jenner to a stereotype. Sorry, too late for that. As soon as she puckered her lips after applying lipstick for the first time all bets were off. :D

Edited by Yankee4Life

Good Lord man. In 2005 this thread started?

The White Sux were given the 05 World Series the moment Houston's home field advantage of closing the roof was made mute by the Commissioner saying it wasn't fair for them to do so. In fact that year was one of the last years I watched baseball hardcore, simply because of that bullshit call. Sure Hou might not have won even without that bullshit Tom Brady like rule, but making that bullshit rule sure didn't help their chances. Its 2015 now, and I'm just now trying to "get back into" baseball. But I'm having more fun watching old World Series games.

You want to rag on Pete Rose but you have had more cheats and liars on the Yanks than most of baseball. I'm sure you want Roger Clemens/ A Rod and all the other HGHers and mess in the Hall of Fame right? If those no good players of the ilk of Barry Bonds get in, then Pete Rose can get in.

You want to rag on Pete Rose but you have had more cheats and liars on the Yanks than most of baseball. I'm sure you want Roger Clemens/ A Rod and all the other HGHers and mess in the Hall of Fame right? If those no good players of the ilk of Barry Bonds get in, then Pete Rose can get in.

Why don't you go and God damn search the forums for posts that I have made about what I thought about Clemens going to the Hall of Fame before just assuming something? And don't give me that crap that because they are Yankees it made it ok.

Why don't you go and God damn search the forums for posts that I have made about what I thought about Clemens going to the Hall of Fame before just assuming something? And don't give me that crap that because they are Yankees it made it ok.

If you truly don't feel that way, then fine. I can respect that.

Updated to 9-6

...If the fact that Donald Trump or any of the other Republican candidates that are running for president disturbs you then hold on because it's going to get worse in 2020. Kanye West, who is probably the most unqualified person ever to hold a political office, announced at the MTV Video Music Awards that he will be running for president five years from now. I have no trouble believing that he was serious about this too because he treats everything that comes out of his mouth as a holy proclamation. Who's really going to vote for him anyway? The Kardashian and Jenner families will out of obligation and a few others scattered across the country who don't know any better. My God can you imagine Kim Kardashian as the First Lady?

...Johnny Depp's daughter last week announced that she was "sexually fluid." I don't think I even want to know what that means.

...We had a lot of talk in the shoutbox last week about that poor guy who fell to his death in Atlanta during the Yankee series there. Some of the posts said to add more nets to provide more safety and while that makes sense to say, how you will go about doing it is another thing. Alcohol played a factor in the man's death and that makes it in my eyes completely on him. I still feel bad about what happened but I think he'd be around right now if he laid off the Budweiser during that game. 

...One final thing here. Every time I watch a game from Fenway Park I say a little prayer that no one falls from the Green Monster seats they have in left field. I've never been there and I am sure the Red Sox put up some pretty good precautions but you just never know. And I hope we never find out.

...I should go out in my backyard tomorrow and look for a four-leaf clover because I'll find one. Or I should run out to 7-11 and buy a lottery ticket because I'm sure to win. Or maybe I'll make a bet in Vegas on this year's Super Bowl winner. That should be no problem. I'll even provide the score. I feel I can do these things and more because the day I found out that Tom Brady was suspended for four games I knew that somehow he was going to beat the rap. Oh, I celebrated and gloated about it and did a little dance. Anytime a Boston sports icon is knocked down a few pegs is cause for a major celebration in my house. But I just knew that it wasn't over because I could tell by the look Brady's face. He wasn't that worried and that's what worried me. Sure enough with more than a week before the start of the NFL season the Patriots found a judge who overruled commissioner Roger Goodell's original decision to suspend him those number of games. All of a sudden that judge, a man named Richard Berman, does not have to worry about having the money to send his kids to college. That burden was lifted off of him the minute he made his ruling public. The NFL plans to appeal the decision but why bother? The Patriots can always find another judge who wants to send his kid to Yale.

...I love watching Steven Seagal movies. That guy can kill twenty or thirty people faster than I can drink a glass of water. :D 

...The Cleveland Browns can't catch a break with Johnny Manziel when they got good news and bad news last week concerning him. The good news was that they found that he has tendinitis in his right elbow. The bad news is that he still should be ready to start the season.

...Look at what Francisco Cervelli is doing for the Pittsburgh Pirates this year. Can't blame the Yankees for missing the boat on this guy because he spent more time on the disabled list than out on the field. But I have to give him credit because when he finally got his chance he proved he was good enough. It's too bad he couldn't have done this in the Bronx.

...I don't know, there's just something about Mark Teixeira that brings out no sympathy from me. Maybe it's because the guy is always injured and is never in too much of a hurry to return to the lineup. I know this latest injury wasn't his fault and it could of happened to anyone. I say this to myself over and over but every time this guy gets nicked it is always the worst possible outcome. 

...I predicted it two years ago when he first broke in and now he's finally proving my point. Jackie Bradley, Jr. has finally turned into the dirtbag that I always said he would be.

...Remember the guy back in July who set off a firecracker on the top of his head just for fun? We all know how that turned out. Well it seems as if he has a younger brother down in Texas and if this guy isn't his brother he ought to be. A nineteen-year-old idiot decided to make a social media selfie of him posing with a gun accidentally discharged the weapon and shot himself in the neck, killing him instantly. I won't dispute that this was a senseless tragedy. This kid didn't even have a chance to live but that doesn't take away what he did. Why take a selfie with a loaded gun? Don't you check to see if it is loaded just for safety's sake? Never point a gun at yourself (or anyone else) for any reason. That's the first rule that is drilled into everyone who owns guns and every gun owner knows it. Except of course for this idiot.

...Not that I have had any experience in the matter but usually when someone is released from prison after serving his or her time they leave willingly and with a smile on their face. Well, usually. Some guy in Arizona who was arrested on a meth possession refused to leave after he served his time. Officers had to forcibly escort him away from the prison as he was kicking and screaming all the way. That sometimes happens when someone is first brought to jail but never when they are let out. After a bit of struggling they finally got the guy away from the facility but he wasn't giving up that easy. He saw a semi-truck parked near the building and he ran over to it and tried to steal it. This guy really wanted to get back inside and as soon as the prison guards caught up with him, which was pretty easy since he didn't run from them he got his wish. He's now back inside on a burglary charge and the only thing that is bothering him now is what he is going to do to get arrested again when his time is served again. :D

...It must have been something about Arizona last week that brought the nuts out because usually this stuff seems to only happen in Florida. A woman in Phoenix went grocery shopping last week and she was in such a hurry to get out of the store and go home she forgot her two-month-old baby boy in the shopping cart in front of the store. At least she didn't forget the groceries. Luckily an off-duty police officer spotted the baby and brought him into a business to get him out of the heat and to keep him safe. For the entire forty-minute ride home this woman had no idea that something was wrong and it took one of her other kids to ask where the baby was. By that time it was too late and that forty-minute drive must have seemed like forty hours to her. Police initially said that no charges would be filed against her but now have changed their mind and now they have slapped a misdemeanor charge of child endangerment against her. What does she do? The only thing she can in this situation. She ran to social media pleading her case and she cried at just the right moments with enough emotion to get people to feel bad for her. Unbelievably some people actually fell for it. I would have to except for a few things that probably didn't seem so important to her at the time. What kind of mother completely forgets to strap her two-month-old infant into the car before taking off? What kind of mother takes that forty-minute car ride home without looking in the rearview mirror to check on the kid while she was driving? Say, he's been really quiet for these past twenty-five minutes. I wonder why? And finally what kind of mother is she when her three-year-old exhibited more common sense than she did when he asked where the baby was? But I give her one thing, she knew how to cry on cue. At least the infant was ok.

...Evidently ESPN wasn't quite done with Curt Schilling after a post that he made on Twitter comparing Muslim extremists to Nazis. They originally suspended him for one week of Sunday Night Baseball and for the rest of the Little League Championship series. But now after Schilling sent an e-mail to a website called Awful Announcing to respectfully point out how they misinterpreted him, ESPN has now suspended him for the remainder of the season including the playoffs. I feel bad for the guy because when he comes back at the start of next season ESPN will have whipped him so much that he'll be a shell of what he once was. The first thing I'd do is get him off twitter. I've been saying that about every famous person who has landed in hot water because of that damn site. I believe that there are more people in this country that agree with the post he made but they are afraid to admit it. I agreed with it and I could care less who knows it but since I am not famous and well known nobody cares. The guy deserved better for saying the truth and ESPN should be ashamed of themselves for putting him through this. There is one thing I want to know about this. I get that the PC crowd is hurt, angry and insulted about Schilling comparing Muslim extremists to the Nazis. What I don't understand is which group did he insult?

...The Philadelphia Eagles cut Tim Tebow even though they were saying he was doing a good job in training camp. I don't think this is the end for him because I think he'll resurface on a Canadian team or another NFL team will give him a shot. If someone like Geno Smith of the Jets can be a starting quarterback before he got hit in the jaw then this guy can do the same thing.

...A few months back I wrote about some guy who broke in a lady's house and began baking a potato and then when out to rake her leaves before police came to take him away. I didn't think that would happen again because the object of breaking and entering is to do it without being detected and I was sure that other would-be robbers were not going to make that same amateurish mistake that this guy made. Wrong. A woman in Pennsylvania awoke to strange noises in her house last week. They were strange because she lived by herself. When she went to check it out she found that a guy broke in and he was taking a shower and doing his laundry. Police caught this guy fairly easy too because his cloths were in the dryer and they were only half way done as he was taken away on charges of criminal trespass, disorderly conduct, loitering and mixing colors with whites when he did his laundry.

...I've never heard of the Ashley Madison website until they had their website compromised but it's not like I would have went there anyway. I couldn't hurt my spouse like that although millions of people obviously disagreed with my opinion on that. You could make a good case for saying it was their fault for signing up on a site like that but I don't think we have the right to expose an affair especially now with people committing suicide because their names have been released for everyone to see. I wouldn't want something like that on my conscience. Everyone has their own reason for doing things. Somehow those guys are going to get caught and that website is never going to be the same. Thirty-seven million people? No wonder why people don't stay married these days.

...I should go out in my backyard tomorrow and look for a four-leaf clover because I'll find one. Or I should run out to 7-11 and buy a lottery ticket because I'm sure to win. Or maybe I'll make a bet in Vegas on this year's Super Bowl winner. That should be no problem. I'll even provide the score. I feel I can do these things and more because the day I found out that Tom Brady was suspended for four games I knew that somehow he was going to beat the rap. Oh, I celebrated and gloated about it and did a little dance. Anytime a Boston sports icon is knocked down a few pegs is cause for a major celebration in my house. But I just knew that it wasn't over because I could tell by the look Brady's face. He wasn't that worried and that's what worried me. Sure enough with more than a week before the start of the NFL season the Patriots found a judge who overruled commissioner Roger Goodell's original decision to suspend him those number of games. All of a sudden that judge, a man named Richard Berman, does not have to worry about having the money to send his kids to college. That burden was lifted off of him the minute he made his ruling public. The NFL plans to appeal the decision but why bother? The Patriots can always find another judge who wants to send his kid to Yale.

your biased is ridiculous.  The Pats did not "find" this judge and if you bother to read his points on why the case was thrown out, It is actually rather clear that Goodell was playing the "Its my ball my court rule" and just throwing out punishments that were never outlined in the CBA.  The same crime was performed by other teams in other games and no one got a levy of a fine and no one got a suspension in prior cases.  Seriously, go read the judges reasons and you won't be able to poke a hole in any of them.

BTW, he is from New York so I doubt a New England sports team could persuade a judge to vote one way or the other.  if you want to blame anyone, the NFLPA's attorney keeps screwing the NFL this way and that, making the league look like a joke

Also I just want to note, you constantly bash and bash New England Teams any chance you get, but if anyone sat down and went off on the yankees.. you hop on their ass like a fox in a chicken pen

Edited by BigRog

your biased is ridiculous.  The Pats did not "find" this judge and if you bother to read his points on why the case was thrown out, It is actually rather clear that Goodell was playing the "Its my ball my court rule" and just throwing out punishments that were never outlined in the CBA.  The same crime was performed by other teams in other games and no one got a levy of a fine and no one got a suspension in prior cases.  Seriously, go read the judges reasons and you won't be able to poke a hole in any of them.

BTW, he is from New York so I doubt a New England sports team could persuade a judge to vote one way or the other.  if you want to blame anyone, the NFLPA's attorney keeps screwing the NFL this way and that, making the league look like a joke

Also I just want to note, you constantly bash and bash New England Teams any chance you get, but if anyone sat down and went off on the yankees.. you hop on their ass like a fox in a chicken pen

Y4L is not exactly known for doing his research or being informed about his thoughts.

There's nothing wrong with Dr. Ben Carson.  He won't win, but he has great instincts, insights and tenets regardless of what party you're supporting.  But liberals won't support him because of those Constitutional protected tenets and Blacks won't support him because they'll consider him too "Uncle Tom".  It's a shame... the man is brilliant.

The fact that Kayne West could conceivably run is symbolic of everything that's gone wrong with the USA because someone like him could attain even a shot at doing something like that.... and we have the knuckleheads in this country to support someone like him.

Like I said... I think talking politics is stupid in forums of non-political sites.... but it was already broached, so.......

Why I waste my time with someone like you I will never know but if you bothered to pay attention for five minutes you would see that I "go off" on the Yankees a hell of a lot more than anyone else around here. 

The fact that Kayne West could conceivably run is symbolic of everything that's gone wrong with the USA because someone like him could attain even a shot at doing something like that.... and we have the knuckleheads in this country to support someone like him.

I can think of two people right away who would vote for him.

Like I said... I think talking politics is stupid in forums of non-political sites.... but it was already broached, so.......

I agree. I bring it up occasionally in this thread when I think I can make a joke about it. Other than that reason I have no use for it.

why i waste my time with you? wow thats a pretty fucked up thing. Especially for a lonely old parrot like yourself.  If i remember correctly i have ranted about the yankees once in my life on this site back when i first started.  that one rant i made got me banned by you for a week till i pleaded my case to another admin.  so before you play all high and mighty, shut the fuck up and sit down with your "I criticize my team"

the hate rants you spew about anything new england is nothing on the equivalence of i rant about my own teams 

Edited by BigRog

why i waste my time with you? wow thats a pretty fucked up thing. Especially for a lonely old parrot like yourself.  If i remember correctly i have ranted about the yankees once in my life on this site back when i first started.  that one rant i made got me banned by you for a week till i pleaded my case to another admin.  so before you play all high and mighty, shut the fuck up and sit down with your "I criticize my team"

the hate rants you spew about anything new england is nothing on the equivalence of i rant about my own teams 

Unnecessary. We do not do this here.

Updated to 9-6

...............Cut for thread space.

Not to go there but as a Republican, Mr. Trump says alot of things that Republicans have harped on for years and just got put by the way side. Immigration didn't seem that big a deal last go round if I recall, which I might not. But for a long time we have contended that the 14th Amendment doesn't allow for the so called "anchor baby" phenomenon. Not to debate that but we feel that it was clearly made to insure the freedoms of freed slaves and their family's. He says alot of things that we have said. But he could use a lesson on how to be a bit more tactful. As a fellow, what people would call, asshole myself, I can understand where he is coming from. He is someone frustrated with the current elected officials of both sides. Which I think alot of people are, on both sides. I mentioned earlier how I felt America was best when her to opposing sides talk it out and find a compromise. But it seems like these days neither side feels the need to compromise. In fact, it seems now days compromise is political suicide. Each side wants to sucker punch the other so they can get the ball and run with it for as long and hard as they can. And its killing us. Kayne West, sure why not. I mean after all Ronald Reagen ran and he was just an actor. I'm not saying I'd vote for him but another part of what makes America great is, really anyone should have the chance to become President that fit the laws requirements. Only the full American people should determine who is President, not really who can and can not. What I'm saying is I don't think he has much of a chance but, so? Free entertainment for us. He always says something kind of outrageous, not unlike Mr. Trump. I'm a little disappointing that they won't be running at the same time, unless, Trump wins? And has to run reelections. I smell a new reality show.

Man, I try and stay clear of all this sexual mess that has been fired up lately, or is it just me? I mean it is everywhere, everywhere. Anyways, its really none of my business what you do, and it shouldn't be. But I can't help but feel like there is some sort of "agenda", for lack of a better word, going on to really mess up the social norm of things. Like the 60's on HGHs. I don't like using that comparison as it makes it look normal for this kind of "upheaval" to occur every so often. But this? This is getting out of hand. Not to debate this either, but it appears to me, one side is trying to get back at another for so called years of "oppression". I don't have a problem with people that are different in any way. But there are some things that I don't want to know, and feel I have the right to not know about people. I'm not very open about that kind of stuff. I was never the guy that would describe in detail what I'd do to "that" as we walked right past her to a buddy. You know those guys. I've always felt its none of your damn business thank you very much. But I feel like I'm alone and watching the world tear its own head off about this, and other stuff.

I'm wondering if the injuries is baseball lately are an increase in such? Are they "statistical anomalies"? From what I thought I was hearing baseball crowds were on the decrease, so the likely hood for accidents should go down. There have been far more people going to ball games in times past, and you didn't see these number of injuries or did you? It doesn't seem so to me, or perhaps we didn't hear about them? If so, does that mean we are just hearing about every little one that happens now. Not trying to say this is no tragedy, anyone dying watching baseball? If its on an increase, I think something needs to be done to help control the crowds. Watch the game, pay attention. Like no time than ever before in human history our attention span is in our lap. I don't go to movies anymore, you can't see them. 150 people with little damn flashlights going off every 5-15 seconds. Even my mother is all hooked into her I Pad. I laughed at her the other day, remember when you gave me hell for my "video game addiction"? I just pointed at the I Pad. She did not find it one bit funny. I thought it was hilarious.

Yea I'm not a Brady fan either. But I didn't follow it, so I'd be talking from my fourth point of contact.

Sadly people think guns do that all by themselves.

Something is seriously up with people these days. I mean is it because there are just more of us now, so there are more of "ahem* them. I also agree people have learned to cry on cue. What generation started watching TV "24/7"? How old are they now?

As a Republican I don't know what planet Curt is from. Baseball is mostly made up of Republicans. Sure there is alot of Republican hate out there, and its the cool thing to do now days, not to mention the shoe on the other foot. But I don't know Hall of Fame Politics, and so I can't speak for how those people are. Is it possible they could not vote for someone because of political affiliations? Sure. But again, I don't know. Perhaps he pissed some people off for some other reason? Who knows. Regardless of the validity of the claims, I face palm.

What is with people and thinking the internet is some unbreakable barrier that protects them? I don't Facebook. There is nothing that ties my physical person to the web. People are crazy on here, myself included sometimes. Why do you want that being traced back to you that much easier, by putting your name, face, address, phone number, date of birth, associates, ect, all on the web, for anyone to find. Anyone. And people freak out because "anyone" can get a gun? Please. And Jesus 37 million? Great, we needed more pissed of people, I was beginning to think they were dying off. 37 million unhappy dishonest, cruel people. Damn if that doesn't tell you something.

Edited by Slydude3129
Cut down quote.

When other people post their opinions in here it makes this thread so much more enjoyable. So for that I thank you. This thread is all about random thoughts and opinions of just one person. They are things that I noticed throughout the week and I write down my opinions on them. A lot of times I like to try to get a laugh out of what I write down and some of my favorite targets are anything that happens in Florida and the politically correct. And baseball. 

I'm wondering if the injuries is baseball lately are an increase in such? Are they "statistical anomalies"? From what I thought I was hearing baseball crowds were on the decrease, so the likely hood for accidents should go down. There have been far more people going to ball games in times past, and you didn't see these number of injuries or did you? It doesn't seem so to me, or perhaps we didn't hear about them? If so, does that mean we are just hearing about every little one that happens now. Not trying to say this is no tragedy, anyone dying watching baseball? If its on an increase, I think something needs to be done to help control the crowds. Watch the game, pay attention. Like no time than ever before in human history our attention span is in our lap.

That's true. And it's also in our left hand. The next time you are out just observe all the people that walk around staring at their left hand because they are afraid they may miss something on their phone.

As a Republican I don't know what planet Curt is from. Baseball is mostly made up of Republicans. Sure there is alot of Republican hate out there, and its the cool thing to do now days, not to mention the shoe on the other foot. But I don't know Hall of Fame Politics, and so I can't speak for how those people are. Is it possible they could not vote for someone because of political affiliations? Sure. But again, I don't know. Perhaps he pissed some people off for some other reason? Who knows. Regardless of the validity of the claims, I face palm.

I voted Democratic. I don't get into that around here or anywhere else. If someone on here wants to give me hell for voting Democratic I'll just shrug it off because I don't pay attention to it that much. You see, I don't see a big difference between a democrat and a republican. I don't know Hall of Fame Politics either and if there was such a thing I wouldn't know anyone who was in there. And I still say Schilling was right.

What is with people and thinking the internet is some unbreakable barrier that protects them? I don't Facebook. There is nothing that ties my physical person to the web. People are crazy on here, myself included sometimes. Why do you want that being traced back to you that much easier, by putting your name, face, address, phone number, date of birth, associates, ect, all on the web, for anyone to find. Anyone. And people freak out because "anyone" can get a gun? 

This is exactly why I have never joined Facebook. I have family members ask me over and over to join it so we can "be friends." I say to them I thought we already were. Then they tell me it is the best way to stay connected. I ask them what is wrong with the phone? People have let me look at their facebook accounts. And I have seen the same information that you have just mentioned but it doesn't seem to bother them because they are constantly updated with what their friends are doing right now and what they might have for dinner. You know, the things you really need to know.