The Official MVP MLB 2006 Thread

Sean O

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do we have all of our nominations? When we do then we can start our rounds.

Here are the nominations and my opinions on each of them.

Mark Buehrle: A great underrated pitcher who has finally got noticed from the White Sox' Championship run. Plus, pitchers are rarely on the covers of videogames when they should be. Since Manny was on the box of 2005 from the Red Sox Championship run, Buehrle should be the cover-player since he now seems to be 'the face' of the organization.

Dontrelle Willis: A young "face of the game" player. I don't know a soul that dislikes D-Train. How can you? Plus he has an ***-kicking windup.

Roger Clemens: At age 43, Clemens still had an amazing season. If he intends to pitch again (he will IMHO), it would be a great tribute to his career to put him on the 'cover'. Plus you can have a past-present motif with Clemens.

Lance Berkman: A more neutral pick, Berkman is the Astros' big bat in a team full of great pitchers.

Derek Lee: The NL's best player in 2005, plays in a large market, now is greatly recognized... Would be a great cover-player after his 2005 breakout season.

Andruw Jones: That NL MVP? Jones smacked 50 and played his usual unmatched defense. (Though Sean-O's stats would disagree with me! ;) )

Alex Rodriguez: The best player in the game now, may be the best ever when it is all said and done. (Imagine if he was still playing SS). A-Rod is a player that is in the lineup everyday without ever looking fatigued and always seems to try to find the way to take his game to the next level. (Hitting 50 bombs, getting GGs, bringing back his running game, switching positons, etc.) Why can't the best player be on the best game?

Vladimir Guerrero: No long underrated and unrecognizable by many, Guerrero has yet to grace the cover of a videogame.

Paul Konerko: The face of the White Sox offense. Presuming he re-signs with Chicago, he may be a good coverguy. He does lack "Superstar Status" though.

Jake Peavy: An underrated pitcher from a little noticed team. I like Peavy but he wouldn't really fit on our 'box'.

Chicago White Sox (as a team/rotation): An interesting angle, a cover-team instead of a cover-player. A great tribute to the 2005 White Sox and the end to Chicago's great World Series drought. Of course, if Konerko signs elsewhere it would not be nearly as cool. Also, can we expect Garcia-Contreras-Garland to perform at the same level again?

Andy Pettitte: Clemens, Oswalt, and Lidge seem to be the face of the Astros' pitching staff. Pettitte though just came off his best season ever, but he doesn't seem like a cover-player to me.

Chris Carpenter: A St. Louis Cardinal hasn't been on a videogame box since... Albert Pujols in MVP2004. Carptener did win the Cy Young and seemed to salvage a lost career.

Bartolo Colon: Well known to all who follow the American League, Colon could just throw gas all day. I would not imagine having someone who weighs a metric ton gracing the cover of MVP 2006 though.

Ok, then when I get home tonight, I'll start a poll with SS's list, plus Hafner, Santana and Oswalt. For the record though, I think Vlad should be removed because he's been on a cover already (I love the guy, so it's not for personal dislike), and Colon since his there were literally 10 better starters in the AL, and 2 better starters on his own team that put up better numbers.. Do I have someone to second that?

Here's what we'll do. I'll post that list, and we'll take the top 5 into a round 2, which will be whittled down to 2 finalists. Does this sound like a fair enough way to go about it? I don't want anyone feeling cheated, and i'm putting Rodriguez on the list, so I'm obviously not letting my own thoughts affect the results.

I'll accept nominations until midnight eastern time on Sunday, but it will be capped at 20 players because I don't want this thing going on forever.

Oh and my vote goes to either Andruw Jones or A-Rod. It could even be a split cover like in 2003 w/ Tejada and Randy Johnson.

If it is a split cover like in MVP 03, It should be a pitcher and a Positional Player. If it IS that case, then I would pick Santana and A.Jones.

PLEASE somebody, make this for the Cube! This sounds great. I don't need the rosters, as on OS, I'm working on my own roster set which should be done by May or so. I'd just like the new graphics, scheduling, and everything. If someone would be kind enough to do this/find out how (you guys have got to be the kindest people in the world to work like this to give us a better game :wink: ), I'd be the happiest person ever! Thanks everyone, and anyone who is willing to do this (more people own the game for the Cube than you know).

Thanks, mods!

highlight_reel

I'll list the guys that have graced the cover of an EA game:

MVP Baseball 2005: Manny Ramirez

MVP Baseball 2004: Albert Pujols

MVP Baseball 2003: Miguel Tejada/Randy Johnson

Triple Play 2002: Luis Gonzalez

Triple Play Baseball: Jason Giambi

Triple Play 2001: Mike Piazza

Triple Play 2000: Sammy Sosa (also graced the cover for HH2000)

Triple Play '99: Alex Rodriguez

Triple Play '98: Ray Lankford (i think)

Triple Play '97: Tony Gwynn

-KC

I'll list the guys that have graced the cover of an EA game:

MVP Baseball 2005: Manny Ramirez

MVP Baseball 2004: Albert Pujols

MVP Baseball 2003: Miguel Tejada/Randy Johnson

Triple Play 2002: Luis Gonzalez

Triple Play Baseball: Jason Giambi

Triple Play 2001: Mike Piazza

Triple Play 2000: Sammy Sosa (also graced the cover for HH2000)

Triple Play '99: Alex Rodriguez

Triple Play '98: Ray Lankford (i think)

Triple Play '97: Tony Gwynn

-KC

I think 98 is Brian Jordan.

Personally, and it's just me, I'm tempted to say no team that has had a cover before be eligible, so the sox, cards, o's / dbacks, yankees, mets, cubs, mariners and pads would be out. I just think it would be nice to spread it out a bit, even if that does get rid of who I think is the most deserving player (Derrek Lee). Anyone in agreement?

want to mod rosters, portraits, cyberfaces during Dynasty mode!

That is all i want!

You could do it with a program similiar to that of DangerZ's editor in High Heat 2003 as it was the best thing ever!.

When i draft players, or when the CPU drafts players, im tired that they always look generic. I want to add unique portraits to CPU created rookies so that it doesnt feel so generic as the dynasty goes on.

I dont care about graphics, i dont care about menu screens, or modified stadiums I just want the best part about baseball

The best part about baseball is its continuem, its history, and the most important about its hitory are its key individuals. Ruth, DiMaggio,Mantle,Foxx, Cy Young, Carter, Fingers, etc, etc.

They all had a unique look, and you could just look at their photo and you knew there name. WHich is why MVP, as great a game as it is, gets boring in Dynasty mode. You have more and more generic players as the years go on, which kills "history" as there are no unique players who create such history.

If anyone could do that, this would not only be the greatest baseball game in the world, but would be the only one you would ever want to play!

IF someone could figure out the Checksum, and than be able to mod portraits, and cyberphases during Dnaysty mode, that would be the greatest accomplishment in this communicty ever.

That is my wish, not saying it will come true, but it would be great!

Archived