Total Classics phase 6 update

AlexTony

Joe T and Don;

Let's start an "MVP Playing Old Geezers" club. :lol: Don, I was Army and spent my time over there as a medic, missing the 1970 season as a result. I used to play Strat-o-matic and APBA, kept boxscores, stats, the whole thing in a loose leaf binder. Who would dream there could be a game like MVP back then? It really does take one back to his youth.

Now here's a funny (or weird) story that happened just last week. I got so upset listening to Ken "Hawk" Harrelson announcing the Chicago-Detroit game that I fired up my game, loaded the '67 Red Sox, sent Jack Morris to the mound, and waited for Harrelson's turn at bat. Then I drilled him! And the idiot charges the mound, shaking off Lance Parrish, and the dugouts empty. That was surprisingly satisfying to do. :lol:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

69Yanks,

Yep, I was in the Marines for 6 years ...... but I have to be honest, I wasn't exactly a Grunt pack heat and protecting our country, as that is where I was first introduced to computers as a Systems Programmer on IBM's S/360 and in Viet Nam I worked in a really well fortified triple wide trailer that was air conditioned due to the S/360. Needless to say there were very few air conditioned places in Nam and I seldom ever went back to the hut and once stayed in the Computer Room for 11 days straight while sleeping on my desk. I just thought it was a fairly safe place to be combined with the AC comfort as well as the great learning experience. Since leaving the Crouch I have been in the computer field for a very long time and as an IBM'er. That trailer by the way had 4 very large hooks on it'sroof (which was sand bagged to the hilt) that were there incase of a need to quickly Evac when Choppers would come by - hook us up - and lift us out of harms way. Not a bad place to be I thought.

Cash#25,

Funny story drilling Harrelson and ironically I packed my Strat-O-Matic game in my duffle bag on my trip over. Spent a lot of my time in the computer room running a league with my buddies ---- lot of betting going on and sometimes a little rough situations (you know Marines!) but it was great due to the raised floor we had with great AC flow underneath that would keep our beer really cold. So there we were; Serving our beloved country, learning computer stuff, playing Strat-O-Matic, betting on everything and oh so frequently raiseing those well concealed floor tiles to reach for a cold one .......... Unfortuately my Strat set of cards were so beat up and drenched with beer when I ready to return I just left them for the guys staying behind.

Long story I will cut very short but I actually programmed a baseball system on the S360 during that time to initially just keep track of our Stats but it evolved into the beginning programming of a baseball simulation game (text based with oh so antique grahics using just "H's", "V's" and other punctuation signs on paper printout - no terminals in those days you know) that was truly a predecessor to what eventually hit the market in the very late '70s or early '80s. If I had only not put that project down and followed my true passions (computer and baseball) I tell my kids that I would be EASports these days because I was way ahead of them with that concept - at least I always thought I was. Left VietNam with all that Cobol & Assemble code on magnectic tape but lost track of it shorly after returning home to continue my Service time in the States.

Take Care Guys,

Don

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone thought of including the Championship Red Sox team that finally "reversed the curse?" I think they deserve to be in the lineup somewhere............

They did, but there is no reason to. Remember, when you first purchased this game last year, you had the championship Red Sox team that reversed the curse already.

Yes, but after installing TC5-they were overwritten. Is there a way to replace one of the other Redsox teams-with them-without messing up the TC program?

Most people have two installs of this game. One install plays the teams that came with the game and the second install has Total Classics.

My advice to follow up on Y4L's, if you do this option and keep your two installations in different folders, always always always doublecheck when you use mod tools like MVPEdit and EAGraph to make sure that you're opening the right files.

I've screwed up more times than I care to mention by not doing this.

--Eric

Yes, but after installing TC5-they were overwritten. Is there a way to replace one of the other Redsox teams-with them-without messing up the TC program?

Besides importing the 2005 Red Sox team into the rosters, you'd have to update the portraits, the logo file, the .LOC files, and if you wanted to be thorough, the uniforms. It's not hard if you know what you're doing and have all of the necessary tools. It's just a bit time consuming.

• 4 weeks later...

To do a fresh install: Go to "Start" and select "Run".

type in "regedit".

go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > EA SPORTS > MVP Baseball 2005.

Right click on that folder (MVP Baseball 2005). Export it (same as saving it) for backup purposes.

Right click on it again and choose delete.

Your CPU now thinks the game has been deleted. Rename your MVP 2005 folder to something else temporarily (or permanently if you want to keep it around....just make sure your shortcut points to the correct folder where the .exe file is located)

Insert Disk 1 and do a fresh install. Don't forget to run patch #3 before doing anything else mod-wise.

You can do this over and over again, making as many folders with as many versions as you want.

There's a simpler way to do this without having to play around with the registry or reinstall with the CD's. Here's what you need to do:

1. Make a copy of your entire MVP Baseball 2005 folder (and all subdirectories).

2. Rename the copied MVP Baseball 2005 folder to something else (for example "Total Classics 2005"). You now have two separate copies of MVP installed.

3. When you install Total Classics and are asked where to install the files, select your "Total Classics 2005" folder. Make sure that when you select the folder that you double click on it so that the subfolder icons appear (i.e. you actually open up the Total Classics 2005 folder). If you don't do this, the install will fail (trust me, this happened to me).

4. Create a new desktop icon by copying the original MVP Baseball 2005 desktop icon. Rename the new icon to Total Classics 2005 and edit the shortcut to point to Total Classics 2005 folder.

That's all there is to it!

Both versions of MVP ("Regular" and Total Classics) have to share the profiles, .SAV rosters and dynasty files contained with the MVP Baseball 2005 directory within My Documents but that isn't a big deal. Everything else is separate like stadiums, uniforms, teams etc etc .....

Also, remember that if you want to install new stadiums, new uniforms, etc. and you want to install them in both versions of MVP that you need to run the installation for the stadium, uniform, etc. twice, once for Regular MVP and once for Total Classics.

Archived