Just for fun - 1951 Ebbets

paulw

I'm re-doing the signs in Ebbets for a 1951 (ish) version. These would also go well with the '49 Dodgers in TC. If nothing else, it's fun working on Ebbet's again and those great signs on the right field wall. This is all I have finished now...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is awesome because I have never been able to get the other Ebbets versions to work.

My guess is this *should* work for you. There was an extremely large file of 2048x2048 which I cut down to 1024x1024. Ebbets was crashing on my PC in the '51 mod. Changing this file did the trick. I then figured I might as well redo some of the signs and make it a little more "classic" looking. Sorry you had problems with the old file.

No need to be sorry. One of the old Ebbets worked for a short time, but I have no clue why. I think it must be a models or uniform problem. It's funny because all of your other classic stadiums work every time for me. I'm wanting to play my Dodgers dynasty with Ebbets as my home field so I really hope it works. I know you'll do the best job you can because you always do.

What exactly is different between the 50's version and 60's versions?

No need to be sorry. One of the old Ebbets worked for a short time, but I have no clue why. I think it must be a models or uniform problem. It's funny because all of your other classic stadiums work every time for me. I'm wanting to play my Dodgers dynasty with Ebbets as my home field so I really hope it works. I know you'll do the best job you can because you always do.

What exactly is different between the 50's version and 60's versions?

The only real difference between this one and the last one is the signs - and a few very minor things. The original one that myself, Hyman (and Rolie) worked on is pretty much an exact duplicate of 1956. This one is using signs from the late '40s and early 50's. What I'd really like to do is let the "Plato" loose in me and put together an ideal Ebbets - as I work on this one I'm kind of feeling that way a bit. It would have an eclectic mix of signs from the 40's and 50's. There were some great older signs on the left field wall - like the Ballantine and Horton's ice cream signs. This would really make this more "artistic" but less era specific. Here's where I'm at now. I'm going to watch some of "When it was a Game" and try and pick up a few more things.

It looks awesome. And I think that hybrid era version would be really cool.

Have you seen the Jackie Robinson story where the man himself stars? I think they show Ebbets in there, but I'm not too sure.

Here's a thought for the hybrid.. Put a model of the Ebbets Field apartments in the background. Might be kind of erie

I just hit the jackpot. I watched the last half of When it Was a Game Part II and there's some fantastic shots of the exact signs I'm doing. I've taken some notes and need to do some more work. I think this will look pretty good (and have very accurate colour).

During the second stanza of "Game Called" in "When it was a Game II" there's a beautiful scene of Stan Musial rounding the bases with these exact signs in the background. Also some nice shots at 42:16 and 46:00. There's a breathtaking pic of the older signs in Yankee (1940's is my guess) at around 48:10.

awesome stuff. I love that field. My dad actually got to go to some games there when he was a kid.

Last summer my brother and I went and played an over-the-line game at the Ebbets Apts.

man, I hope that stadium works for me.

awesome stuff. I love that field. My dad actually got to go to some games there when he was a kid.

Last summer my brother and I went and played an over-the-line game at the Ebbets Apts.

man, I hope that stadium works for me.

What's over-the-line? Just curious - I'm 52 and live in Wisconsin ;-)

Here's the right colours. My favorite sign is the Old Gold in foul territory. We smoked a few of those when I was way younger.

There is one problem with Ebbetts that may not be fixable. The center field wall juts out and has that little covey area-I don't know if that is structurally possible. But if you look at olad pics of ebbetts you will see it.

EA's fielding AI makes it pretty much impossible. The ball would go in there, and even if the fielder is 6" away, they'll never pick it up. So, unfortunately you need straight walls.

There is one problem with Ebbetts that may not be fixable. The center field wall juts out and has that little covey area-I don't know if that is structurally possible. But if you look at olad pics of ebbetts you will see it.

Hyman tried this a couple years ago - I'm guessing Sean has also. It's comical but unfortunately it just doesn't work. The fielder becomes stymied.

Over the line is a modified baseball game played when you don't have enough people for a real game. In a nut shell, you mark out lines from home plate and you have to hit it "over the line" for a given number of points determined before the game. My brothers and I play it with a Koosh ball though.

Over the line is a modified baseball game played when you don't have enough people for a real game. In a nut shell, you mark out lines from home plate and you have to hit it "over the line" for a given number of points determined before the game. My brothers and I play it with a Koosh ball though.

Thanks, Danny. What a cool thing to play by the Ebbets Apartments. Maybe some ghosts of Ebbets passed were there watching you and smiling-Gil Hodges, Pete Reiser, Jackie Robinson and on. It sounds crazy...but you never know.

Back to reality (this is what happens when I stay home on Friday night) - I just went fishing a bit more on the web and found some more nice shots from the time I'm looking at. Here's one of the coolest colour shots I've ever found - not relevant to this version - but very nice. If anyone has any pics they know of - especially left field around 1950 - it'd be awesome if you could post them.

Anyhow, here's the cool pic...

Do you mind if I redo the field? I can get the shape near perfect without too much work.

I'm learning 3Dsmax and and it's currently blowing my mind with all the amazing tools.

I'd love to have you do this Rolie, thanks!! PM me your email and I'll send you a copy for you to work in. This is so cool...

Do you mind if I redo the field? I can get the shape near perfect without too much work.

I'm learning 3Dsmax and and it's currently blowing my mind with all the amazing tools.

I have a "learning 3ds max" book in my car I've barely been able to crack open since April with everything going on. I always had a hunch that 3dsmax was the missing link between what I could do in VW with the in-game functionality of zMod, so I'm dying to know how it actually works.

ok great I pmed you Paul, Yeah I also had an older book from like 2000 of 3dsmax just lying around. Kinda funny because I remember when I bought it and was just hopelessly lost.

I got the essential training tutorial from lynda. The videos are just great. I can't compare it to VW. Doing something like cutting the tunnel holes for the fenway's lower bowl is just amazing intuitive. I can get the fields completely perfect now and fix the warning track grass lip. In zmod this stuff would take forever. Non destructive modeling, multiple uvw mapping and more modifiers than you think of. I could go on forever.

It's the UV mapping that I really want a better handle on, in a non-zMod environment. Little things like the luxury boxes and walls for Candlestick took forever because I had to individually select vertices in zMod and space them out. Being able to do everything, from extrusions of seating bowls to UV mapping in one program would open everything up.

Oh man the UVW mapping is way more intuitive. I haven't fully grasped it yet, from the video I saw, it can generate UVW maps in much more useful way. For example, If you made a box, there is an option where it will space it out for you. You just deal with the faces instead of each individual vertice. Once I grasp 3dsmax better I think I'm going to do all my modeling in 3dsmax and use zmod just as a converter. It's not as user friendly as zmod but In the long run 3dsmax is so damn powerful. Ideas are just popping out of my head.

sorry to hijack your thread Paul

3ds1.jpg

UVW Mapping in 3DS and Maya Both are amazing, really allows you to do way way more with textures then in Zmod. Also some of the modifiers you can use in 3DS turn processes the previously took hours in other programs instant.

Also the plugins for 3DS max make things alot easier my personal favorite especially for MVP is the Vertice Cruncher, it can really bring down your poly count.

More on topic, in the outfield would it be possible to put that little nook into the outfield wall but make the collision data not match it, so that the ball would never go in there?

Man, you guys are way too far out there for me. I don't have a frickin' clue what you're talking about. I just like to play with pretty pictures :) Whatever happened to OEdit - it took me a year to learn that and I've just got it down now. I finished up everything I wanted to do graphically - I think ;-) Rolie, I'll send this along and let you go at it. I putz and putz with the graphic stuff until I get a certain feel. That BULOVA sign was a pain...it's exact now, I think.

Archived