Help me settle a minor disagreement

sdoyle7798

Ok, so a co-worker and I were swapping stories from when we played baseball growing up. I was telling a story of when I hit a triple, which, with my speed, didn't happen often...lol. Anyway, I beat the throw and tag to the base, but as I was popping up from my slide, I accidentaly popped up a little too high and came off the base slightly. The third baseman kept the tag on me, but the ump still called me safe.

What we disagreed about was what would I have been credited with had the ump called me out? I said a triple, because I made it to the bag safely to begin with, and it was like if I rounded the bag, and then was tagged out. He said a double, because I was out at third, without attempting to round it.

So who was right?

Yep .. agreed with the previous two .... I would say it would be a triple since you touched the base before he tagged you.

I wouldn't think there would be a controversy over that but rather what the scorecard would say about the out. Would it say triple with a pick off or what?

Triple.

Not a pick off, I think it would be out attempting to advance a base.

Agreed.

"Player EdoubleZ triples on line drive to right field."

...had you been called out after the "pop out"...

"Player EdoubleZ triples on line drive to right field. EdoubleZ tagged out while attempting to advance on throw."

Or something to that effect, is what I would think.

Yep .. agreed with the previous two .... I would say it would be a triple since you touched the base before he tagged you.

I wouldn't think there would be a controversy over that but rather what the scorecard would say about the out. Would it say triple with a pick off or what?

The only controversey was with him...lol. He wasn't taking my word for it, so I figured I'd come to the experts.

Okay, I'm not just doing this to side away from the crowd, but if I remember correctly, I saw a Mets game on TV where José Reyes was stealing second, touched the bag, but passed it and went past the bag. He was tagged out and I believe, I believe he was credited with a caught stealing. Whether that applies to the aforementioned situation, I don't know, but I'm just stating what I know.

Okay, I'm not just doing this to side away from the crowd, but if I remember correctly, I saw a Mets game on TV where José Reyes was stealing second, touched the bag, but passed it and went past the bag. He was tagged out and I believe, I believe he was credited with a caught stealing. Whether that applies to the aforementioned situation, I don't know, but I'm just stating what I know.

I bet he got credit for a stolen base, for making it there safe, THEN a caught stealing. Or at least he should have. I know if a a pitcher tries to pick a guy off of first, and that guy runs to second and is out there, it is a CS, so it is probably considered something like that once he came off the bag.

In baseball, a triple is the act of a batter safely reaching third base after hitting the ball, with neither the benefit of a fielder's misplay (see error) nor another runner being put out on a fielder's choice.

Because a hit only counts as a triple without a fielding error or a fielder's choice, triples have become somewhat rare in Major League Baseball. It often requires a hit to an unoccupied part of the ballpark (as in an opposite-field hit) or the ball taking an unusual bounce in the outfield. It also requires that the batter be able to hit the ball solidly but also that he be able to run quickly. This combination of power and speed is rare, and combined with the trend for modern ballparks to have smaller outfields (to increase the number of home runs hit), it has ensured that the career and season triples leaders mostly consist of players who played earlier in the sport's history.

Because the hit is so rare, a triple is considered one of the most exciting plays in baseball.

Triples were much more common in the dead ball era of baseball.

So yeah, Id say you fit the pre-requisite for that 3 bagger ;)

I would say you would get credit for a Double and be ruled out as an over slide (over run) at third since you would have never been called safe at third but rather called out due to you inability to maintain contact with the bag during the course of the play at the bag. That is different when running to first as you can over run it without penatly but on second and third a runner must maintain contact with the bag doing the course of a play at the bag.

it all depends on the official scorer and his ability and knowledge of the game.

The rule states, wether your called safe or not, if you slide in safely, wether you overslide or not, you get credit for a triple. Now if you overslide, and the ump sees it, and calls you out, well, your just out, but you get credit for the triple, unless the ump is a blind F'n idiot. Typically, on any given day, you would be called safe, and Id say 9 of 10 times, thats the case. The overslide would be a 10-10 chance to be called out :lol:

I would say you would get credit for a Double and be ruled out as an over slide (over run) at third since you would have never been called safe at third but rather called out due to you inability to maintain contact with the bag during the course of the play at the bag. That is different when running to first as you can over run it without penatly but on second and third a runner must maintain contact with the bag doing the course of a play at the bag.

You think like my co-worker... :) Here, think about this. If I would have been safe at third, but then rounded it, and was tagged out, would that not be a triple? In that scenario, I would be out trying to stretch a triple into a homer. Well, think of it the same way here. That is how I tried to explain it to the guy at work. As long as you touch third safely before the out is recorded, it SHOULD be a triple. Had I not popped off the bag, it would have been a no-questions-asked triple.

The overslide would be a 10-10 chance to be called out :lol:

Not in my case... :wink: Remember, I was actually called safe the whole time. We were just discussing what WOULD HAVE happened if the ump had correctly called me out after the coming off the bag 8)

Rule 10.06 c -- http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/y2008/off...cial_scorer.pdf

When the batter attempts to make a two-base hit or a three-base hit by sliding, he must hold the last base to which he advances. If a batter-runner overslides and is tagged out before getting back to the base safely, he shall be credited with only as many bases as he attained safely. If a batter-runner overslides second base and is tagged out, the official scorer shall credited him with a one-base hit; if the batter-runner overslides third base and is tagged out, the official scorer shall credit him with a two-base hit.

Rule 10.06© Comment: If the batter-runner overruns second or third base and is tagged out trying to return, the official scorer shall credit the batter-runner with the last base he touched. If a batter-runner runs past second base after reaching that base on his feet, attempts to return and is tagged out, the official scorer shall credit the batter with a two-base hit. If a batter-runner runs past third base after reaching that base on his feet, attempts to return and is tagged out, the official scorer shall credit the batter with a three-base hit.

Archived