Mlb Pc 09 - Controller Issues

abhall

I'm using a Saitek P880 (Vista 64 bit drivers), but I can't get the majority of buttons to work during the game. I've tested the controller within Control Panel and all the buttons/d-pad/dual analog sticks show to be working. I reconfigured the in-game controls as

well for batting/pitching, but the controls aren't functioning in the game. I can't bat or pitch, only the pause button (b8) work. I'm thinking the Saitek P880 is incompatible for this game or my controller is toast. ??? I'm curious what controller people are using that are working good?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know what you mean. It happened to me with xbox wireless controller for windows. You have to go into Options>Controller>then into your controller and "manually map the buttons". If you look in there, the swing button is blank and many others.

Hey I also have that controller you have, let me know how that works. I've only used the wireless one.

I also have the P880 which works just fine for MVP...UPS is scheduled to deliver the game today and I will then load it up and see what happens. Hopeflully, based on Sharpshooters comments, we can manually adjust the settings.

Well, at least it's not just me. I also have an P880 (I've been using it since MVP04) and was getting ready to pull my hair out when trying to play the demo. The game recognizes the P880, and it would let me map buttons, however, I noticed that the settings I made didn't work in the game.

I tried to map the buttons so that they were the same as they are for MVP05 (e.g. swing = button 3, bunt = button 10, etc.), however, they didn't seem to "stick". After trying this multiple times I found that the settings I make on one control screen (pitching, batting, baserunning, etc.) will be the same on another screen.

For example, if I go to the pitching screen and I assign button 1 to whatever is listed as the first item, then button 1 will be assigned to the first item on the batting screen, the fielding screen, the baserunning screen, etc. If I change the 5th item on the pitching screen, then same setting will be shown for the 5th item on the batting screen, baserunning screen, etc.

This isn't a good sign, as I didn't necessarily want to have to buy another controller since I've been so happy with the P880.

I know what you mean. It happened to me with xbox wireless controller for windows. You have to go into Options>Controller>then into your controller and "manually map the buttons". If you look in there, the swing button is blank and many others.

Hey I also have that controller you have, let me know how that works. I've only used the wireless one.

Are you referring to the in-game Controller options? Because I've already changed those configurations. Even when I customize & map out the controller buttons within the game they still don't work during gameplay. It appears like the Saitek P880 isn't compatibility for this game. Hopefully, we can figure out how to resolve. Mabye there is something similar to the "controller.cfg" file in MVP that we can make changes in to get it to work.

LT

If you're using Total Control Hitting, you first have to "Set Your Batter", and then swing. Being new to the series, I had the same problem. I had no idea.

Thanks for the tip. I'm a PC only guy, so I have no experience with their previous games.

I was able to use both my wireless controllers to play the game. Logitech Wingman and Xbox 360 wireless. And the best part is both are recognized and I can play against my daughter. I set up the Wingman just like the Xbox 360 controller and alls good.

Well, at least it's not just me. I also have an P880 (I've been using it since MVP04) and was getting ready to pull my hair out when trying to play the demo. The game recognizes the P880, and it would let me map buttons, however, I noticed that the settings I made didn't work in the game.

I tried to map the buttons so that they were the same as they are for MVP05 (e.g. swing = button 3, bunt = button 10, etc.), however, they didn't seem to "stick". After trying this multiple times I found that the settings I make on one control screen (pitching, batting, baserunning, etc.) will be the same on another screen.

For example, if I go to the pitching screen and I assign button 1 to whatever is listed as the first item, then button 1 will be assigned to the first item on the batting screen, the fielding screen, the baserunning screen, etc. If I change the 5th item on the pitching screen, then same setting will be shown for the 5th item on the batting screen, baserunning screen, etc.

This isn't a good sign, as I didn't necessarily want to have to buy another controller since I've been so happy with the P880.

I'm having the same problem. Is this really how it's supposed to work?

*edit - I've tried mapping the controls with both the Logitech Dual Action Pad and the P880.

using Saitek P990, initially had problems trying to figure out and map controls. Taking my time, I got it. It can be done in the controller setup. It may take a minute, but keep in mind you're setting it up for Batting, Fielding, and Pitching, and each button corresponds differently. The P990 is a 13 button gp, so you have the capabilities. If you pause from the keyboard, it may show up as pause for controller 2, well controller 2 is normally the cpu, so if you start readdressing buttons you're actually doing it for the cpu. You should do your pauses from the controller, and then start your mapping. Trust me, it can be done.

Good luck!

Here is the problem I'm having, maybe I've just missed it reading through all the threads, but I'm pretty sure I haven't found the answer I'm looking for quite yet. I've never played a 2K Sports game until now, so I have no idea how their 'history' with game mechanics works, controller setup and so on, if in fact there is such a thing. I've tried mapping a couple of different controllers (Saitek P880 & Logitech Dual Analog), and it seems to be pretty basic, but I'm finding that mapping one specific option effects another.

There are five screens to map:

Pitching

Batting

Fielding

Baserunning

Action Button/Key

If I start in the Pitching Screen, and assign Button 4 to Pitch Up, it automatically assigns Button 4 in the Batting Screen (Swing), Fielding Screen (Throw To Base Up), Baserunning Screen (Move Runner Up) and Action Button/Key Screen (RS Up). In other words, mapping a button in one screen affects an option in the other screens. Maybe this is how it's supposed to work, I'm not really sure. Just seems a little strange not to be able to map each individual Screen option, I'm not sure if I've seen this before.

Got it. I'm not a Pro here, just trying to help, but I can only speak from the P990 control perspective. I get where you're coming from, I was having those same issues. And believe me, it took a minute to get the gist of it, but after I set my initial Pitching options I saved it. I was then able to go back in and by pressing on my #8 button (RT), I was then able to use that button to cycle through each mode and map each key. I could be wrong, but I think if you don't save it the pads read it as you're changing the very keys you just assigned.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that one of your controller buttons should allow you to cycle to each mode after the initial mapping.

I am familiar with the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick, but that's used for my Flight sims.

I'll take a peek again later, but I'll digress to the professionals now.

good luck!

Loaded the game....Excellent visuals....Now if only I could do anything with my P880. The one button that does do something is the #8 button>>> "Pause". However, after a while flipping between Pause and No Pause gets to be a bit boring.

I'm not too thrilled about getting a pricey new controller for a $20 game. Maybe with some investigating there is a way to get the P880 to function with this game.

Kinda interesting..... Upon loading a message came on to shut down my Game Jackal before the game could load....That is one smart DVD. :lol:

Archived