2Kshare Official [4-10-12] Request

Stu Anderson

I've thought about things since I posted 2K's 4/3/2012 opening day roster. I realized that by uploading an official roster here, I was actually allowing anyone who pirated the game to find an official update to it. Hell... Maybe that's why it has over 500 downloads.

I had good intentions w/ that upload because 2K Share behaved a little 'wonky' for some people for about a day or so. But, I've not seen a single complaint about 2K Share since. So while I'm not outright accusing anyone of piracy, I'm not about to inadvertently support it. Not again, anyway. And I would hope no one else will, either. The PC version is pretty damn cheap -- $20 at Amazon.

So, my advice is to actual MLB2K12 owners who need the update is to get the new roster on their own. If you don't know how to login and use 2K Share, here's how:

Start the game > open the Nav Menu > select Features > Online Options > Login > enter your acct info or create a new acct if 1st time. (If using a gamepad, you can login by hitting Button1/ButtonX on your controller.)

Once you login, you'll be taken back to the "Home" screen.

Re-open the Nav Menu > select Features > 2K Share > Download. Once you do so, you'll be taken to the Official Roster list. Highlight the roster you want and hit Enter or Button2/ButtonA on the controller to download it.

Select "Create New" and enter a name for the roster. I suggest using a name that contains the release date. (ie. Roster 04102012)

Once you've downloaded the roster, exit 2K Share and go back into the Nav Menu or "Home" screen. (You still have to load the roster to use/view it.)

Open the Nav Menu > Options > Load/Save > Load > Confirm the message about losing unsaved crap > find the roster filename on the list and select it > wait for confirmation and confirm > exit the menu and go back to the "Home" screen.

Congrats. You're now using the newest roster.

Edited by RazberyBandit

As I explained above, I've changed my viewpoint regarding the upload of official rosters here. I wish a site admin would step in and pass an official ruling on it, though.

You say you purchased it online, so contact the vendor from whom you purchased it and get the key, or follow these steps if you purchased it from Amazon or Steam.

If it was purchased at Amazon, game keys are stored in your account's "Your games and software library" sub-section of the "Digital Content" section. Access it by logging in and viewing "Your Account" then scrolling down to the "Digital Content" section and clicking "Your games and software library." A new page will open and show you all your games and their CD-Keys.

If it was purchased through Steam, Right-Click MLB2K12 on your Games List and select "View game CD key" to see it.

Neither Gamersgate nor Gamefly/Direct2drive has MLB 2K12 for the PC, and the only other "download" source other than Amazon and Steam I'm aware of is Gamestop. (I don't remember Gamestop's key-retrieval method--been 4 years since I used it--but I know they have one similar to Amazon's.)

If you didn't get it from one of these three vendors, where did you get it?

Edited by RazberyBandit

:) i am curious about one thing. i bought my copy and enjoy the game a lot, i get my updates just fine from 2kshares, but in the end what would be the difference of posting 2kshare rosters or posting your own roster if it all started with 2k's version in the first place? I dont even care about 2kshares stuff cus im more excited to use BSU's roster he has coming out :) trust me i do understand you dont want to aid pirate users but in the end it wouldnt matter cus a roster is a roster and this site is full of great roster posters!

I understand that view very well, bigperm, I mean bigworm. =) It's actually a part of the internal debate I had within myself upon posting the official Opening Day roster. The full impact of that upload didn't hit me until after I had done it. As I explained afterward, I got to thinking about how such an upload could be seen as support for piracy, inadvertently or otherwise. That's an unfortunate reality, and it's not a view I at all anticipated might be aimed in my direction.

While player-created or modified rosters may have their beginnings as an official one, they're never a perfect copy of the original. For me, that's the heart of the issue -- the posting of the original, official rosters. Official 2K rosters are only supposed to be available through the game's 2K Share function. I'm fairly certain that anyone can plainly see 2K's logic behind that method is in itself completely flawed. In the end, a file is just a file, and any file can easily be copied and shared through other means. Still, I have some regrets about posting one.

I'm not saying no one should be able to upload rosters. What kind of mod-site user/supporter would I be if I did that? Talk about an exercise in futility... LOL

What I'm suggesting is that perhaps the site may wish to leave official ones alone from now on, and instead only allow the truly creative roster editors/creators/modifiers (such as BSU-Fan) to work their magic and post their work.

[Edit: Looks like 2K has another new Roster... 2K Share shows a 4/13/2012 roster.]

Edited by RazberyBandit