San Antonio Stallion - 2009 Fantasy Season Replay ...

CircleChange11

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Series #8 -- Chicago at San Antonio, Games 22-24

(This was probably the most FUN series I have ever played)

G22

G22HIGHLIGHTcopy.jpg

I called up Myrow, and sent down Bixler, because Myrow had a good split v LHP, also allowing LaRoche to get in the lineup more. Myrow has paid instant dividends. It also helps that I hit really well with LHBs, and the top of the lineup is stacked with em.

As the fly ball was drifting down the line and into foul territory and Soriano chasing back to get it (playing shallow with winning run on 3rd, and a speedy runner), I started wondering if the AI would actually let it drop instead of conceding the run/game (no way Soriano throws out McCutchen from deep LF), but he did catch it, bobbling it all the way. No chance.

Marmol is impossible to hit with RHB's as his slider actually disappears from view (hidden by the batter), but is "tailor made" for LHBs as his pitches move right into the hitting zone.

G23 -- Now THIS game was REALLY fun ...

G23-1HIGHLIGHTcopy.jpg

G23-2HIGHLIGHTcopy.jpg

With limiting myself to one "left stick swing" (Power swing per inning) I contemplated saving it for Moss (after Vasquez) or Jones (after MOss), but went ahead and gave Vasquez a shot ... and it paid off. The 3-run game-tying homer was one of those moments where I thought I might wake up the neighbors ... or worse, my wife. Yikes.

2 in a row.Remember what I said about Marmol being "tailor made" for LHB's? Exhibit A and Exhibit B in consecutive games. His slider hit Vasquez's bat "just right" ... and it was sa-wheet.

G24 ... series finale ... SA goes for the sweep ...

G24-1HIGHLIGHTcopy.jpg

G24-2HIGHLIGHTcopy.jpg

Luckily for the Cardinals, Soriano doesn;t play like this in real life. After making a big mistake in G1, he killed my pitching over the next 2 games. I thought I was gonna get this comeback, 3rd in a row (?), but Jacobs came up short. My 'Career Mode' player has fallen to .118 BA, and it is frustrating because he hits the ball rather well ... but likely leads the league in one-hop grounders to 3rd ... not enough *Umph* yet to drive the ball over the head, down the line for quality hits. But, that's part of the fun and challenge.

Next Up: Hosting 3 Interstate-Rivalry games with Texas ... Yes, that Texas ... the favorite team to hate in this forum. Looks like the high ht and high scoring games will continue for a little while longer.

I checked the schedule, and I'm in the midst of an 18-game homestand. A funny schedule quirk ... but makes me wonder why I spent all that time making road unis. *grin*

HARD-HITTING RANGERS TRY TO LASSO THE STALLIONS AT 'THE STABLE' (3 GAMES)

G25

G25HIGHLIGHTcopy.jpg

I was leading 4-2 behind a well-pitched game by Charlie Morton, then he got hurt with 1-out in the 7th (8 games) and the wheels fell off in that inning. Tied it up and eventually lost in 10.

Tough game to lose; tough to lose another SP, whichI do not have much of.

Tyler Yates (0-3) demoted to AAA; Ross Ohlendorf recalled to replace INJ Charlie Morton in the rotation.

G26

G26HIGHLIGHTcopy.jpg

Zack Duke, after a horrible start, has improved to a 3-1 record ... which is a nice surprise.

I move Lue Jacobs back to 2B after hitting .118 on the season. I thought the storyline would go something like "rookie catcher struggling to manage depleted pitching staff while learning to hit MLB pitching" ... and it's worked out just like I thought ... Jacobs has went 2for-3 in both games at 2B. Wonder why that happens? Not doing anythingdifferent at the plate?

Sorry for the gap in updates, been playing a lot of F.E.A.R lately and trying out NBA 2K10 (another solid game).

Myrow hits another "No Left Stick*" 3-run HR. Actually, he hasn;t his a "LS HR" yet. He doesn;t get a lot of hits, but he does well with men on base in the 6th slot of the order.

G27

G27HIGHLIGHTcopy.jpg

A rather well pitched game between both SP's, with neither of them winning the Battle of the Kevin's" ... Young still hitting ell for TEX, and Myrow gets fooled on a "LS" swing, but still pulls the ball through the right sde to score Jones to win the game, the 2nd extra inning game of the series. BP pitched well, which isalways nice.

Just when I think the ship is headed for smoother waters, and I might actually ave a chance to get to .500 ... BOS comes to town. Geez.

SEIES #10 - BOSTON RED SOX @ SAN ANTONIO STALLIONS

Stallions challenged by consecutive series against big-hittin' lineups.

G28

G28HIGHLIGHTcopy.jpg

Lester is tough. Maholm actually threw a 125-pitch complete game in the loss. After some early trouble he settled in, and well ... why use the BP if you don't have to?

Ellsbury's catch came with 2-on and 2-out. Killer.

G30

G30HIGHLIGHTcopy.jpg

Jaramillo is finally getting *some* hits ... I actually led for 5 innings!!!

I couldn't get Youk out this series, and Lowell had one hit ... hit 10th HR, leading the league.

Here's the deal, I manually started Buchholz for Wakefield because I can't stand facing knuckleballers ... [1] they're hard to hit and throw off your timing for the next game, and [2] I get a ridiculous number of stolen bases against them. Clay was unhittable, his slider drops as much as it "slides" and his fastball-changeup combo is unreal. I got what I deserved, I suppose.

On the positive, Ohlendorf entered the game (recalled from AAA) with a 21.60 ERA and lowered his ERA by 10 points (!) with a well-pitched game. When Morton returns, Ohlendorf will stay in the rotation and Ascanio will drop out. Ascanio has electric stuff in this game and gets A LOT of swings and misses .... problem is that when batters hit his pitches, they do major damage. Maybe he'll be better in long/middle relief ... yeah, right.

Allowed 15 runs in 3 games v. TEX and won 2 outta 3 ... allowed 15 runs in 3 games v. BOS and got swept. There lies the difference between BOS and TEX ... pitching.

Papelbon has 11 saves in BOS's 16 wins.

• 3 weeks later...

Found some older templates I put together using parts and pieces from everywhere, so making some custom uniforms w/ custom logos from scratch is time-efficient.

Here's what the custom logos and unfiroms look like in game (Tornoto)

TORPREVIEW.jpg

The Stallions still suck, but the dynasty is still fun.

• 1 month later...

Just an update to what I've been doing and how this dynasty will proceed.

[1] I am making a roster update using 2010 projections (mostly CHONE).

[2] I put all the projections/calculations into a spreadsheet (all projections are at the MLB level), and used DBs ratings calc (import feature).

[3] I entered (manually, one by one) all of the updated ratings into MVP edit (updated KG 7.31+).

[4] Made some adjustments/global edits for various "hitter groups" (Chase-Take-Miss, Con/Pow, etc).

[5] I have ALL the hitters entered, but still need to do the following global edits (flyball and groundball rates based on con/pow rats ... realistic/(mostly) actual line drive and HR %'s were used via fangraphs and projections, and I need to edit the LF-CF-RF rates based on the 12 hitter types/groups I arranged).

[6] Pitchers have been entered through the Cubs (ABC by city).

[7] Make any global edits for P (not many needed).

[8] Make all the current trades up to current date (I'll continue to update teams every Monday).

[9] Test the ratings by simming a single season (maybe 10 times) and note any global changes that *might* need to be made.

Then ...

[10] Insert the new ratings into my current dynasty and finish the dynasty (My Pirates/Stallions are going to take a hit .... Vasquez, Moss, etc are going to have lower ratings .... but McCuthchen gets a bump up and Jones is still strong. Bobby Crosby has been added at SS, but he's basically a replacement level player or slightly better.

At the start of the 2010 season, I'll add all the current draft picks and MLB neophyte notables (i.e., Strasberg).

It'll be interesting to see how MVP handles the ratings/players because there are quite a few MLB players that could see themselves in MiLB (Sheffield, Varitek, Tracy, Little Sarge, etc). It'll also be interesting to see how improved Seattle and Texas will be with their new additions.

Interestingly enough, my first game due up in the dyansty is against the Phillies, and perhaps Halladay.

I'll capture photos of the "newly acquired players" on their new teams (Bradley, Lee, Halladay, lackey, Cameron, etc) and share them. Gonna be weird to see MC in BOS and RH in PHL.

I have a whole NEW respect for KG. Brother, I am grateful for your (and other roster makers efforts) efforts ... much more invovled than I would have imagined. MVPEdit certainly makes it easier, but just by updating ratings and spreadsheet work, I'm likely 100+ hours in, and that's with no new created players (likely ~100 new players need created for complete MiLB/MLB 2010 rosters). It takes a lot of tweaking to get stable numbers and rates, and that takes a lot of calculating, experimenting, and time. Thank goodness ofr Xmas break, and the previous work of roster makers.

Later. RyanB.

Looking forward to it, CC, good to see you back.

Even at this time last year we had a couple of dynasties going (xiberger and his Braves, for one). As much as I love college basketball and some football here and there, it's still never the same unless I can bide the winter months somehow associated with the sport I love most. As far as bob44 took his Dodgers over the course of the season, I was really suprised to see him drop off, he had a good thing going. Not only that, but Maestro had some technical difficulties as well and was forced to shut down his White Sox. 

Anyway, looking forward to seeing this one back on track and at least talking some ball until March. 

What kind of problems did Maestro have with his dynasty?

Maestro had some problems loading any of his 2K files after upgrading to Windows 7. I remember he said he tried everything he could to get things back up and running to no avail. Too bad when things like that happen, he had such a good one going. Oh well, I'm sure he'll be back along with a handful of guys that will start up their dynasties come (probably) early March.

Can't wait to see the variety this year between MVP, 2K, and The Show '10. Should be interesting.

Archived