Ultimate Roster Project (PC,Xbox,PS2)

llcmac

I'm still the guy who does the Mets organization, right? Up and down the team, from the majors down to St. Lucie...

If you'd email me a copy of the rosters, I could get to work on that (email, or AIM works).

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 17.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Let's face it, MVP modding is not what it used to be anymore. The entire face of the MVP modding community has changed drastically over the past 6 months or so. I am not saying that it is a good thing or a bad thing, but it's the way it is. Mods aren't being produced the way they used to be. We have lost a lot of talented modders. I think the only way MVP modding could be brought back to its glory days is if we had more stadium mods being produced. But a lot of the stadium modders have moved on to bigger and/or better things. MVP modding will still go on without stadiums, but I believe it will be diminished.

Ultimate Rosters is one of the more storied mods on this or any other baseball modding site. It was created by guys like llcmac and HypnoxXx. Most of the current users on this site probably haven't even heard of those guys. I don't really even remember them from when I first joined over four years ago. Ultimate Rosters has been on going for way longer than four years. It was at one point the most downloaded MVP mod. Since then, it has suffered numerous set-backs, I believe the word curse was used to describe it. I would really like this mod to be restored to where it was at one point. I think it would please Totte quite a bit if we could restore this mod to its place as one of the most popular downloads.

However, my hard drive died again about two months ago, and I had to deal with the hassle of getting a replacement. It was still under warranty, and I had to battle with the warranty people to get them to send me a replacement drive. About a week ago, I finally got one.

The UR file was backed up, but I lost 2 months of being able to work on the rosters. And two months is a very long time in roster modding. A lot of transactions happen in two months. Not to mention that UR wasn't even finished in all levels of the minors. So pretty much the roster is one big clusterf***

I am not going to call this project dead, but, it is on life support. I myself am probably not going to be able to work on the rosters until around September. So unless I got some people who really wanted to help, an Opening Day 2010 release is probably the best possibility.

If you'd like, you could email me the rosters as you have them, and I'll go to work on the Mets organization. It'd be one less org. you have to worry about...but if you're shooting for Opening Day 2010...then updating the organization now makes little sense. Your decision...

Guest JWClubbie

I am interested in Helping. I can do the Dodgers Organization, Or for that matter any Organization in the Southern League.

Well, I guess since multiple people want to help, I will upload the rosters as an attachment. Then when you guys have made your changes you can upload the teams that you updated as .met's.

@tejdog:Updating the rosters at any time makes sense because then I will have a better base, with more updated players to work with.

ur_nxtgen.rar

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I guess since multiple people want to help, I will upload the rosters as an attachment. Then when you guys have made your changes you can upload the teams that you updated as .met's.

@tejdog:Updating the rosters at any time makes sense because then I will have a better base, with more updated players to work with.

Glad to hear this !!! I haven't played the game in well over a year waiting for the latest UR update. Thanks for all your doing, your hard work is very much appreciated !!! :clapping:

I'd be willing to help on the 2009 version, and especially over the winter on a 2010 version.

I been looking quite a bit at CHONE and ZIPS projecting stats available in spreadsheet form and have been thinking of ways to convert them to ratings. I have also been llooking quite a bit at current ratings from Baseball Mogul 2010 and the latest version of OOTP to see how they do their ratings, and try to find a good "mix" that is primarily based on a player's ability, as oppossed to "results of last year's performance".

Could you guys fill me in on how others are computing ratings from stats, so that there is some continuity among the different teams.

Obviously, if different people are using different methods for different teams, the rosters will end up with some 'different' ratings.

My idea/goal is to come up with ratings that the game AI will use to reflect actual MLB depth charts, such as the 4th best starter on a team is actually set as the 4th best starter by the game.

Coming up with ratings isn;t the toughest part, coming up with ratings that work as the game is programmed is the trick ... and in this regard some of you guys are way ahead of me in understanding how the varioius ratings actually affect the outcomes and/or statistical results of the game itself.

There are also websites that show a hitter's results in the form of spray charts and hot/cold zones. Pitcher's pitch ratings are likely the biggest challenge, because one needs to 'tinker' with the control and movement ratings to get the desired overall pitch rating, as many rating systems in games just use a general "control" rating and a "general" overall pitch rating for each pitch.

Thanks in advance. Willing to help. Lots of stat experience, lots of baseball experience, just not so much with MVP roster editing/computing. Handy with a spreadsheet, just not all that experienced with the actual formulas the game or roster makers use to produce the results they desire.

I'd be willing to help on the 2009 version, and especially over the winter on a 2010 version.

I been looking quite a bit at CHONE and ZIPS projecting stats available in spreadsheet form and have been thinking of ways to convert them to ratings. I have also been llooking quite a bit at current ratings from Baseball Mogul 2010 and the latest version of OOTP to see how they do their ratings, and try to find a good "mix" that is primarily based on a player's ability, as oppossed to "results of last year's performance".

Could you guys fill me in on how others are computing ratings from stats, so that there is some continuity among the different teams.

Obviously, if different people are using different methods for different teams, the rosters will end up with some 'different' ratings.

My idea/goal is to come up with ratings that the game AI will use to reflect actual MLB depth charts, such as the 4th best starter on a team is actually set as the 4th best starter by the game.

Coming up with ratings isn;t the toughest part, coming up with ratings that work as the game is programmed is the trick ... and in this regard some of you guys are way ahead of me in understanding how the varioius ratings actually affect the outcomes and/or statistical results of the game itself.

There are also websites that show a hitter's results in the form of spray charts and hot/cold zones. Pitcher's pitch ratings are likely the biggest challenge, because one needs to 'tinker' with the control and movement ratings to get the desired overall pitch rating, as many rating systems in games just use a general "control" rating and a "general" overall pitch rating for each pitch.

Thanks in advance. Willing to help. Lots of stat experience, lots of baseball experience, just not so much with MVP roster editing/computing. Handy with a spreadsheet, just not all that experienced with the actual formulas the game or roster makers use to produce the results they desire.

IMO, the UR crew could always be in use of a guy like you :)

I had offered my help to CircleChanges when he was looking to make a roster. And I will offer my help to you guys as well. I really like circlechanges idea to use the projecting stats to do the rosters. Especially if you are able to use the projecting stats with Dylan Bradburies calculators or some other formula it will help take bias out of making the rosters. Anyways I have a decent amount of knowledge in statistics and mathematical modeling and follow the game pretty well.

I'm very close to having a combination of all the charts & formulas presented here at MVPMods applicable in spreadsheet form.

So all one needs to do is download the ZIPS, CHONE, and MARCEL projections spreadhseets, and apply the ratings formulas and average them for a single rating. I plan on doing the same with 2009 final stats and then weighing all of the ratings based on the following:

Zips =20%

CHONE = 20%

MARCEL = 20%

2009 Stats - 40%

A lot of people have done some really good work, so the batter's ratings are not difficult compute.

Pitcher's on the other hand, are going to require quite a bit on one-on-one attention. Stamina, Durability, etc are pretty much straight forward and are able to be calculated in similar ways as batter's ratings.

The difference with MVP is that there is not a general or overall "control" or movement" rating, and then a different 'pitch rating' for the various pitches. Each pitch has [1] control, [2] movement,and [3] trajectory, that are combined to form a singular pitch rating for each pitch.

What I plan to do is take the individual pitch ratings form another game I have as a reference (velocity also), as I find this game's rating to be rather accurate. Then, I'll "adjust" each MVP's pitch ratings so that the "final rating" for each pitch is the same as each's pitches rating from the other game. This may take some time intially, but then I'll get a feel for what control and movement numbers combine to get the desired final rating. There may even be a formula developing that I can "work backwards" from.

All of the player ratings can be done in december'ish when the 2010 projected stats come out, and it will be very quick. They can liekly be computed in a single day. Pitchers will occupy considerably more time, but probably should not be "that much" (as to scrap the whole project).

What's going to take some time is 'updating the rosters' for all levels. Trades and free agent signings are easy, as deleting players that are 'no longer in baseball'. But, there's likely going to be quite a few CAPs that need made (the projection sources already provide their stats for 'mlb' based on MLE's, so that's a time saver), and the tnering of all their personal information and appearance attributes will take some time, but doable.

Each player's hot zones are on foxsports, and each players G%/L%/F% are on fan graphs, so looking up each guy is going to take some time as well.

So, I have most of the stuff set up now (and have been running some tests on the 2009 projections), and am just waiting for the final 2009 stats and 2010 projections. In the meantime, I'll go through each team (using the team rosters from projected stats) to see [1] who's no longer in baseball but still in the UR rosters, and [2] who needs created, and start a list and work on them as time is available (little by little).

The busy work is going to be in Jan/Feb with working on pitchers, but that's my slow time of the year. March is also going to be somewhat busy making sure lineups/rotations are accurate for all 4 levels, but that's managable.

I'm pretty excited about it, and very thankful for all of the guys (almost too many to mention) that have contributed valuable input in the making. I wish I had been here 3 or 4 years ago.

Any suggestions or tips are appreciated. (Really)

It's doubtful that I will enter in all of the historical stats as that is a lot of busy work that IMO doesn;t really add a whole lot to the game (unless you're an exhibition only gamer).

• 2 months later...

Archived