2k9 For Dummies

Sharpshooter

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is anyone else having problems with the menus?

In the main screen (with Tampa and Philly) the arrows for switching teams only work in one direction.

In the create new franchise screen it pops up with the Angels, but I can't pick any other club. Clicking on the arrows doesn't work. Arrows on keyboard don't work. Sticks/buttons on Gamepad don't work.

?

Thanks!

In the main screen (with Tampa and Philly) the arrows for switching teams only work in one direction.

In the create new franchise screen it pops up with the Angels, but I can't pick any other club. Clicking on the arrows doesn't work. Arrows on keyboard don't work. Sticks/buttons on Gamepad don't work.

?

Thanks!

No problems here navigating the menus with either the keyboard or my Logitech Dual Action.

What type of gamepad you using?

Saitek P880. I had some of the same problems others had playing the game at first, but I downloaded drivers from Saitek and that fixed it so gameplay is fine. But for some reason, those menu screens just don't work.

Even if the controller was having issues, I can't see why the mouse or keyboard wouldn't work.

I actually have this as well using the mouse to move teams. Very strange.

When Pitching and Batting (Total Control) does anyone know what the different color bursts represent when the catcher catches the ball?

These are the colors I am seeing

Green

Red

Yellow

White

In MVP 05-08 it was the type of pitch, fastball, off speed, breaking, etc... is it the same with MLB 2K9?

When Pitching and Batting (Total Control) does anyone know what the different color bursts represent when the catcher catches the ball?

These are the colors I am seeing

Green

Red

Yellow

White

In MVP 05-08 it was the type of pitch, fastball, off speed, breaking, etc... is it the same with MLB 2K9?

It's the pitch type.

When playing an Exhibition Game, how do I switch starting pitchers?

I'm using the Logitech Dual Action Pad, and here's how I do it:

After you pick your teams, hit the start button (Button 10) and it will take you to the lineup screen. From there, hit Button 8 (Right Shoulder Button 2) and it will bring up the pitcher's screen. Change your pitcher from here.

Obviously this won't help if you're not using the same game pad, but for those that can't figure it out using the Logitech Dual Action Pad, here it is.

After you make your changes, hit the start button (Button 10) again, and enter the game.

I'm using the Logitech Dual Action Pad, and here's how I do it:

After you pick your teams, hit the start button (Button 10) and it will take you to the lineup screen. From there, hit Button 8 (Right Shoulder Button 2) and it will bring up the pitcher's screen. Change your pitcher from here.

Obviously this won't help if you're not using the same game pad, but for those that can't figure it out using the Logitech Dual Action Pad, here it is.

After you make your changes, hit the start button (Button 10) again, and enter the game.

Just to add, if you want to change the opposing team's starter, assign them to Keyboard Control. Then use the keyboard to change theirs, and your controller to change the team you are controlling as JR posted. Once in-game, switch the keyboard contolled team back to CPU.

I haven't been able to perform a double-switch by using the double-switch option in the menu, but I have figured a way around it so I thought I'd post it here because I know some other people had the same problem.

When you pinch-hit for a pitcher and begin the next inning with that pinch-hitter on the mound, go to the lineup screen and select that pinch-hitter. Perform a defensive position swap with the player you want to replace, putting your pinch-hitter in the field and the replaced fielder on the mound, then sub in the pitcher for that replaced fielder.

I'm pretty sure the answer to this is no, but is there a way to have franchise stats for individual players show up each time a player comes up to bat? In MVP you could select things like stats or power numbers to show up for players, but in 2K9 it's always the players' previous season stats. Since 2K9 can track current averages and have it show on stadium scoreboards, why couldn't they have it show on player overlays? Sigh...just another little thing that MVP did so well that I realize I miss a lot when playing 2K9. I realize 2K9 rushed the title out the door and they assumed (probably correctly) that more people play head-to-head than single player franchises, but I don't care what players did last season in my franchise. Ok, maybe show it at the beginning of the season, but that's it.

Ok, rant over. I'll just keep hoping for the day somebody figures out how to make a MVP stat bar for 2K9. :)

I'm pretty sure the answer to this is no, but is there a way to have franchise stats for individual players show up each time a player comes up to bat? In MVP you could select things like stats or power numbers to show up for players, but in 2K9 it's always the players' previous season stats. Since 2K9 can track current averages and have it show on stadium scoreboards, why couldn't they have it show on player overlays? Sigh...just another little thing that MVP did so well that I realize I miss a lot when playing 2K9. I realize 2K9 rushed the title out the door and they assumed (probably correctly) that more people play head-to-head than single player franchises, but I don't care what players did last season in my franchise. Ok, maybe show it at the beginning of the season, but that's it.

Ok, rant over. I'll just keep hoping for the day somebody figures out how to make a MVP stat bar for 2K9. :)

Don't know what game you're playing, but I start seeing current numbers in the batting overlay after a certain # of at-bats for a player. By game 3 in my current franchise, seeing current stats in the overlay for my team, and when the opposing team is up to bat.

Can someone explain the the gameplay effects and CPU Speed effects that each of the Video options have?

mlb2k92009-04-0511-53-01-41.jpg

MSAA: Anti-aliasing, I'm pretty sure at least. Slows the game down unless you have a modern graphics card.

Crowd Detail: How detailed the crowd graphics are. Shouldn't slow the game down too much, but will if you have a lower-end graphics card.

Sideline Characters: What you see on the sideline, not really necessary if you don't hit foul balls a whole lot. Mostly inside the dugout and such.

Shader Quality: Will slow the game down quite a bit. Attempts to make the game more pleasing to the eye.

Texture Quality: Handles the textures of the game. Like the grass, dirt, etc.

Shadow Quality: The various shadows of the players. Not necessary.

Particle Effects: Haven't played around with this one.

V-Sync: Only recommended for CRT's. Will cap the FPS at the refresh rate.

Hi, everyone. I'm anxiously awaiting the delivery of a new video card (and box from a friend) as my laptop couldn't handle the game (no shader 3.0).

Can someone confirm that the old stadiums are in the game as an option during franshise mode or league play? This feature is one of the main reasons i've been wanting to give baseball another try.

Thanks in advance for responses, and thanks to everyone for being a great resource!

Archived