San Antonio Stallion - 2009 Fantasy Season Replay ...

CircleChange11

Since this is likely my last season of MVP, I decided to just have a “kitchen sink” dynasty/season and throw almost everything in the mix.

[1] New Team – Pittsburg moves to San Antonio to become ‘The Stallions’.

[2] Divisional Realignment – Divisions based on region.

[3] Career Mode – Luke Jacobs

[4] Balanced Schedule – Every teams plays each other either 5 or 6 games.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Following their 18th straight losing season, Pirates fans were excited to learn that the organization would have new ownership. The joy was short lived as the new owner promptly moved the team to San Antonio, the largest US city without a MLB franchise. The team is now the San Antonio Stallions.

StallionsBigLogo.jpg

sas-organization.jpg

The outlook is still pretty bleak.

I’m not coming up with some idea of how the commissioner is trying to maintain competitive balance, I just moved teams to regional divisions as it was something I was curious about doing after reading Red Sox’s dynasty where he moved the Marlins to Las Vegas.

09JPEGDIVREALIGN.jpg

Both leagues will use the DH.

I’m not decided on what I’ll do for a playoff format .. either using the standard 4 teams per league or maybe doing something like a 16-team, seeded bracket.

For the uniforms, I decided just to stay with the Pirates color scheme (only team in MLB using Black and Gold), but tweaked it some. Actually, if the Black were replaced by dark green, they’d look a lot like a team I used in fantasy High Heat 2003 (Tampa Bay Toucans).

Primary Home and Away

sasjers-primarycopy.jpg

Home and Away Black

sasjers-blackcopy.jpg

Home and Away Red

sasjers-redcopy.jpg

Home and Away Alternate Black

sasjers-blkaltcopy.jpg

Home and Away – Spring Training Style

sasjers-ststylecopy.jpg

I’ll likely make more unis as the season goes on, or even complete redesigns as the mood goes. I just put these together quickly. These are edited spungo unis (just giving credit).

Career Mode featuring Luke Jacobs (a combination of the names of my two baseball crazy sons). I used this idea in a 2k7 franchise some years ago. I first read of the idea from someone else, and have tailored the process to MVP.

LUKEJACOBS.jpg

Start off using default ratings and …

[1] Add 50 points to batting stats, no more than 10 in any one category. I added 10 points to each contact rating, 5 to each power rating, and 20 to durability.

[2] Add 40 fielding points, no more than 10 in any one category. I added 10 to each fielding rating (fielding, range, t-strength, and t-accuracy)

[3] Add 30 points to running, no more than 10 in any one category.

Luke Jacobs is the lowest rated players on the Stallions ML roster.

Jacobs can earn points to be added to his ratings with the following:

[1] Every 5 Hits = 1 point to contact

[2] Every HR = 1 point to power

[3] Every 4 walks = 1 point to Plate Discipline

[4] Every 3B or SB = 1 point to speed

[5] Every 10 runs = one ‘click up’ to baserunning (5 or 10 points).

[6] Every 5 Sac Bunts = 1 click up to bunting (5 or 10 points)

I’m still figuring out fielding. It’ll either be based on games/innings played or actual fielding stats. I’m also considering losing points based on poor play or even situational hitting, such as in MLB The Show.

G1

G1UPDATE-1.jpg

G1HIGHLIGHTS.jpg

I actually thought I was gonna win the opener … bullpen had different ideas.

After Moss drilled a 3-run shot to put SA up 5-2 in the 7th, Jose Lopez duplicated the feat in the 8th. With 2 outs in the 0th, Ichiro hit a high chopper to the P for an easy infield single. He stole second and scored on a Gutierrez single up the middle.

G3

G3UPDATE-1.jpg

G3HIGHLIGHTS.jpg

Yippee.

All SA's runs come from HR's ... another 3-run job by Moss (go figure), and a 'No Left Stick' HR by Lastings Millege of all people. In the 9th, SEA got something going. Ichiro led off with a single and stole 2nd (again). Guttierez tried to bunt him to 3rd, but Ichirom was thrown out ... then, Guttierrez was thrown out stealing 2nd to end the threat. I'll take it. 2 bad decisions (bunt and steal), when they needed runners more than they needed extra bases.

Next up ... San Fran.

G4

G4UPDATE-1.jpg

G4HIGHLIGHTS.jpg

You know those games where you just can't seem to get the CPU team out no matter what? Well ... once in a while it works like that for your team as well.

Brandon Moss has went deep 3 times in 4 games. I'm using JR's datafile/sliders (only difference is I don't use the ball cursor when pitching), and he's just been getting low and in sliders (pitch) when I happen to be pushing the left-stick up and right .. and BOOM BOOM BOOM. I limit myself to just "left stick" swing in an at bat and it HAS to be in a situation where a base hit will NOT score the runner. For example, runner on 2nd, no left stick swing. Runner on 1st and 2 out, left stick allowed. The exception is the teams' slugger, in this case Garrett Jones (still limited to one LS swing per at bat, and only in RBI or 'close and late' situations).

This is going to be a good team for me, since I hit very well with LHB's ... and they have Salazar (inj for 11g, .500 OBP), Vasquez (.364, .500 OBP), Moss, (.438-3-9), Jones (only .177 so far), Doumit (S, .400-1-6).

Anyway, in the 4th inning I had one of *those* innings ... and it felt G-R-E-A-T. Check out Doumit's 4th below. Drinks are on him.

SAS4THINNING.jpg

BTW, 1st home game at 'The Stable', the affectionate nickname of San Antonio Stadium. It's paying off having Millege (80 SPD) and McCutchen (88 SPD) in LF and CF, because there's a lot of green in this outfield and they've already made some great cacthes with multiple men on base and 2-outs.

*Thanks for following, guy* I always mean to type that, but never remember to.

G5

G5UPDATE-1.jpg

G5HIGHLIGHTS.jpg

This was a really good game, and a surprising pitcher's duel from both team's 5th starters. Morton is surprisingly good, as I was tempted to start Hart instead. On the LaRoche slide at home, I could see the throw was a little to the 3rd base side of home, so I went with the inside reach back slide. It was close, very close, but worked out. In hindsight, a headfirst slide to the 1B side of the plate woulda been a better choice, but would have resulted in a much less cooler pic.

Garrett Jones finally knocks in a run.

Timmy's big night ....

Man, he is tough to hit (duh!). I'm 0-4 against him lifetime in MVP.

NO-HITTER.jpg

SAS-NOHITBOX.jpg

SFG-NOHITBOX.jpg

PLAYERREACTIONS.jpg

-------------------------------------------

The Ups and Downs of Dynasty ...

SPEEDDEFENSE.jpg

Going to have to call up some players to fill in for Salazar (INJ:11d) and McCutchen (INJ: 13d). Looking for speedy guys to play OF and PR.

--------------------------------------------

Next up ... StL - 3g @ SA

ALCSTANDINGS6G.jpg

-------------------------------------------

tough luck on getting no hit. awesome presentation btw, im loving this already, keep it up.

Ditto.  

This is good stuff, CC, great idea and presentation.  I think the closest I've come to being no hit was the one hitter Lester threw against me in this year's Playoffs.  Anyway man, great job on the dynasty, looks great!

I've been playing baseball video games since Microleague for the Apple 2e when I was 10. I had never been no-hit ... until last night. 26 years is a pretty good streak.

I don't think I have ever thrown one, although I almost always play with very challenging pitching sliders.

I threw a 1 hitter with Ted Lilly a couple of years ago, and probably a small handful of 2 hitters since I've been playing.  Can't quite get the big one.   :huh:

G7

Adding insult to injury, the Stallions get to face another former (and possibly current) Cy Young Award Winner...

G7MATCHUP.jpg

... with similar results.

G7UPDATE.jpg

G7HIGHLIGHTS.jpg

Note: The Homer was of the NON left-stick variety ... my 2nd "no left stick" jack of the season. Go figure.

Lemme guess, Wainwright in next game?

G7CARPENTER.jpg

Khalil Greene, throwing around the leather ...

G7GREENE.jpg

Had I wanted to spend some more time on it, I could've come up with a more creative display of the sequence ... but hey, I didn't ... so, I didn't. *grin*

Ross Ohlendorf: "I enjoyed pitching in AAA so much, that I hope me and my 21.60 ERA end up there by the end of the week."

Stallions Manager: "Done!"

G8 - "Hey, NO Wainwright .... thank God."

G8MATCHUP.jpg

G8UPDATE.jpg

G8HIGHLIGHTS.jpg

Geez, Pujols AGAIN!!!

I left Maholm in the game for the 9th ... it was his game to Win or Lose ... and well, he lost. Still good game pitched by a pretty decent pitcher.

This career mode junk is pretty fun.

5th hit of the season = +1 to CONvR (61).

HR Hit = +1 to POWvR (56).

If you're keeping track .... that's 7 San Antonio hits over the last 3 games.

This is extremely interesting. Good job!

My wife doesn't think so. B)

Actually, now that my photoshopping skills have enhanced her photography images, she's more accepting of the hobby. I have no idea (even after 13 years of marriage) what she thinks of me. Here's this big guy, former athlete, who loves to strength train, coach, and play with his sons ... and yet gets totally nerdy with stats and making uniforms for a video game.

My wife doesn't think so. B)

Actually, now that my photoshopping skills have enhanced her photography images, she's more accepting of the hobby. I have no idea (even after 13 years of marriage) what she thinks of me. Here's this big guy, former athlete, who loves to strength train, coach, and play with his sons ... and yet gets totally nerdy with stats and making uniforms for a video game.

Haha, I know what you mean. I'm not as old as you, but I am an avid athlete, but also a nerd at the same time. :D

Archived