Baseball On The Radio

Yankee4Life

Another All-Star game from me this month - this time, 1948. The 15th mid-summer classic from Sportsman's Park in St. Louis featured another bunch of big names - Johnny Mize, Stan Musial, Pee Wee Reese, Enos Slaughter, Yogi Berra, Joe DiMaggio, Walt Masterson and Ted Williams.

Download from here.

Enjoy!

• 5 weeks later...

Here is the September edition of Baseball on the Radio at Mvpmods. This month features the famous game that decided the 1949 American League pennant between the visiting Boston Red Sox and the hometown New York Yankees. The date is October 2nd, 1949. The Red Sox were managed by Joe "Marse Joe" McCarthy and the Yankees by Casey Stengel, both of whom are in the Hall of Fame. Mel Allen, whom for years was the voice of the Yankees, handles play by play. Enjoy this game. It's an exciting one.

Boston Red Sox vs. New York Yankees

Retrosheet link.

Played in Yankee Stadium, the Bronx, New York

Part 1.

Part 2.

Part 3.

Part 4.

Yankee announcer Mel Allen

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a game I came across. I'm not sure how "available" this game is, but wanted to share it anyway.

This is Thurman Munson's final game from August 1, 1979. Here is the boxscore

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA197908010.shtml

Download from here.

Thank you for this. Now I just wish I could listen to the entire game of this. This was only 13 minutes and 3 seconds long and then that was that. At least I heard Jackson and Piniella homer against Chicago.

The radio game for the month of October is a special one. It's from October 3rd, 1951 and it's the famous Bobby Thomson game that beat the Brooklyn Dodgers that year. Everyone is very familiar with this game and now for those of you who want it, you are going to have the entire game.

This broadcast that you will be listening to is from the Liberty Broadcasting System and the announcer is Gordon McLendon. This is the broadcast that the entire country heard. I am sure that many times you have heard the Russ Hodges radio call of Thomson's home run, but Hodges' call was only broadcast on the New York Giants radio network. The only reason why this call exists today is because a Dodger fan was recording the ninth inning of this game because he was so sure his Bums were going to win and he wanted to taunt the Giant fans that he knew the next day with the last few minutes of the Dodger victory. When the Giants came back to win this game, the poor guy was so stunned that he never turned off his recorder and Hodges' call was saved for future generations.

Listen to the opening remarks by Gordon McLendon here in this game. They are very prophetic.

Enjoy this game. It's one of the best.

Brooklyn Dodgers vs. New York Giants

Retrosheet link.

Game played at the Polo Grounds, New York, New York.

Announced by Gordon McLendon

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

• 1 month later...

The radio game for the month of November is from the fifth game of the 1956 World Series between the visiting Brooklyn Dodgers and the New York Yankees. It's the famous World Series perfect game by Don Larsen, which is presented to you in its entirety.

The date was October 8, 1956. Enjoy the game. And I also hoped that you enjoyed this monthly installment of classic baseball. Next month will be the final game posted here in this thread by me.

Thank you.

Brooklyn Dodgers vs. New York Yankees

Retrosheet Link

Game played at Yankee Stadium, Bronx, New York

Don Larsen

Part 1.

Part 2.

Part 3.

Part 4.

• 4 weeks later...

Here we are folks. The radio game for the month of December. Posting these games here once a month really helped make this year fly by.

The game presented this month is game five of the 1948 World Series between the visiting Boston Braves and the Cleveland Indians. 86,288 baseball fans filled Cleveland's Municipal Stadium for this game. The starting pitcher for the hometown Indians was Bob Feller. He was opposed by Boston's Warren Sphan. Both pitchers are of course in the Hall of Fame now.

And that's all the information I am going to give you about this game. I hope you enjoy this game like you have enjoyed all the others in this series of monthly historical broadcasts. Although I have the suspicion that 99% of you have never once bothered to come in here to see what this thread was about since it obviously wasn't about the Playstation 3.

Boston Braves ogd5d9jg4ndgechk5j707ae.gif vs. Cleveland Indians 720i.gif

Retrosheet Link
1948 World Series Games and Boxscores.

Game played at Municipal Stadium, Cleveland, Ohio
al07907lrg.jpg

Part 1.
Part 2.
Part 3.
Part 4.

• 3 years later...

Another old topic i know but i had to comment because i am curious. Recently my wife gave me a kindle hd fire for my 50th birthday and among the things i use it for is internet radio at my job(auto repair) .I have the usual apps (i-heart pandora live365) for listening but recently tried a new one called TuneIn. While browsing it i searched for anything baseball or baseball related and found something pretty cool. The Baseball Historian broadcasts old game recordings some of which match Y4L's postings so is that you Y4L? Anyhow even if it isn't there are many games posted of which i have listened to 1959 World Series games 1 and 5,with Mel Allen as one of the commentators don't remember the other guy. Complete with commercials even! Just an interesting slice of sports history imo. Pretty sure TuneIn works on pc as well if anyone is interested.

Another old topic i know but i had to comment because i am curious. Recently my wife gave me a kindle hd fire for my 50th birthday and among the things i use it for is internet radio at my job(auto repair) .I have the usual apps (i-heart pandora live365) for listening but recently tried a new one called TuneIn. While browsing it i searched for anything baseball or baseball related and found something pretty cool. The Baseball Historian broadcasts old game recordings some of which match Y4L's postings so is that you Y4L? Anyhow even if it isn't there are many games posted of which i have listened to 1959 World Series games 1 and 5,with Mel Allen as one of the commentators don't remember the other guy. Complete with commercials even! Just an interesting slice of sports history imo. Pretty sure TuneIn works on pc as well if anyone is interested.

Hello akigour13....no I am not The Baseball Historian. I'm not familiar with him or that TuneIn program.

I love these old radio baseball games because they almost take me back to when they were first played. During the winter I would listen to these while I was surfing the internet. One of my favorites was a 1934 game between the Yankees and Tigers.