How do I get my controller to work?

nyYanks876

I asked this to the techinical issues, but whoever it was said to post it on the boards. When I got madden, I got a nice less tha $20 controller that worked perfect and had enough buttons. There is no problems with it. Now I need to get it to work on MVP. It is called a "Gemini Vibration Gamepad". If anyone can help me I would appreciate it.

As far as I can tell, there are two main ways to get the game to accept 'non-standard' controllers....

The simpler one involves editing the controller.cfg file (found in /My Documents/MVP Baseball 2004) to show the exact name of your controller...you have to go into your devices screen and find out exactly how it is listed and then change the game pad description to that in the controller.cfg file...this method didn't work for me, I have a Thrustmaster Dual Power 3 controller....

The second method involves editing all the registry entries for you specific controller...I'm not going to go through the detailed description of how to do it, you can find that here or over at www.highheat2004.net/forums by doing a search for 'registry' or something...in fact, it might be a sticky over at hh2k4.net, I can't remember right now...basically you change all the references to your controller to read Logitech_Dual_Action, and then when you go to the game, choose Logitech Dual Action as your controller. It's a little more complicated than that, but those are the basics.

It took me a few days to get mine to work right, I had to do some editing of the controller.cfg, as well as using a key mapping program that came with my pad...It works great now, I love it.

PS - On some controllers (mine anyways) it seems that the game wants to double up on some buttons, so I solved that by remapping the Bean Ball, and the Intentional Walk to keys on the keyboard...those things aren't used all that often and it's not a huge deal to re-map them to the keyboard, it just frees up some buttons on the controller.

It is called a "Gemini Vibration Gamepad". If anyone can help me I would appreciate it.

* I am not familiar with that controller, but I have gotten various other controllers working - so I'll give it a shot.

Spitoon is right, there are two main methods of getting the controller to work.

Check out my faq and use the Radio Shack method. Let me know how that goes.

I'm glad someone did a sticky on this, because I just saw this. :oops:

You know, this controller problem is directly related to the game itself, as we all know. I had the same problem. I have a Gravis Gamepad Pro and the thing works great. I used it on MVP 2003, the High Heat games, etc. No problem or worry. But it would not work with MVP 2004. So I bought the Siatek. Now I use that exclusively. Don't ask me why the Gravis was ok with one version of MVP and not the other. :|

I am seriously considering ditching my XBOX version of MVP and getting the PC version. Is it possible for me to play on the PC using my XBOX controller?

OK, I'll pull my head out of my *** now and look a little further down the page! :shock:

I tried editing the controller file, and it didn't work. It still only shows up as Keyboard 1, Keyboard 2, or Cpu. But I'm getting a little confused with the mapping. compared to a PS2 controller it is like this:

Gemini_Vibration_Gamepad

X: button 3

Square: button 1

O: button 4

Triangle: button 2

L1: button 5

R1: button 6

L2: button 7

R2: button 8

L3: button 9

R3: button 10

Select button: button 11

Start: button 12

I don't know what to do for D-Pad or Analog sticks. in NBA live it says:

Left analog up/down: axis 1

Left analog left/right: axis 0

Right analog up/down: axis 2

Right analog left/right: axis 3

I have no clue about the D-pads. on NBA live it just lists it as D-Pad up, D-Pad down, etc.

If someone could make a configuration for the controller that I could put in my controller file that follows the PS2 controls it would help me a lot.

I did Radio Shack and hooked up my XBOX S Contoller and it works fine. Two questions though:

1. What is the dugout-bullpen called so I can give it a button. I looked in the .cfg and the in game model and can't find it. In the XBOX version of MVP it is the white button.

2. My rumble is much lighter in the PC version. When I go to controllers it seems like it's all or notheing, any help?

• 3 weeks later...

This is driving me nuts....

I bought the Radio Shack converter and have a Dualshock 2 I'm using. When I search for the joystick using the faq I get "USB Dual Vibration Joystick". I can configure it, etc. However, when I follow the directions about changing the data value I can't find the listing for this joystick anywhere. It's not in one of my registry folders. What am I doing wrong???

I can't even find a generic equivalent, ie. usb controller, etc.

This is driving me nuts....

I bought the Radio Shack converter and have a Dualshock 2 I'm using. When I search for the joystick using the faq I get "USB Dual Vibration Joystick". I can configure it, etc. However, when I follow the directions about changing the data value I can't find the listing for this joystick anywhere. It's not in one of my registry folders. What am I doing wrong???

I can't even find a generic equivalent, ie. usb controller, etc.

you need to find joy.cpl and change that to Logitech_Dual_Action then reconfigure your controller in your documents folder.

you need to find joy.cpl and change that to Logitech_Dual_Action then reconfigure your controller in your documents folder.

I don't mean to sound dense but I'm a bit lost about this...joy.cpl just brings you to the control panel yes? So then download Logitech drivers? Shouldn't I have a generic listing on my registry if I'm using the psx to usb as a plug and play device? I downloaded the Radio Shack program, it installed the joystick calibration device but I still have no listing in my reg after re-booting. I also have a config I downloaded for using the PS2 controller and I replaced my MVP document config with that. Sorry if that's unclear but I'm a bit confused.

• 2 weeks later...

i bought i psx-pc adpter, using the printer port...

iam using a driver called Psx pad .....does anyone know how i make it work??

when i look in my joy.clp , it apperars as Psx Gamepad 1 , and everything is ok, evan the configuration of buttons, but inside mvp it doesn apper or haappens anything...

any help?

another thing is that strangly i can not edit my regedit....it closes after 5 to 10 sec, that i open...

any clues?

or is there another way of doing this registry changes, without using the regedit??maybe true command line or something like that....

I used ur FAQ and it worked but i have a minor/major problem.

on defense, big plays and movement are on the same analog! (left)

anyone know to fix it? i will include my controller.cfg

profile= Logitech_Dual_Action

device= Logitech_Dual_Action

player= 1

number_of_buttons= 12

number_of_povs= 1

number_of_axis= 4

VPAD_VIRTUAL_BUTTON_START= button 10

VPAD_VIRTUAL_BUTTON_SELECT= button 9

VPAD_VIRTUAL_BUTTON_CROSS= button 2

VPAD_VIRTUAL_BUTTON_CRICLE= button 3

VPAD_VIRTUAL_BUTTON_SQUARE= button 1