Tutorial for extracting/importing graphic files with EAGRAPH

raindelay7

this was requested in a couple other threads..thought it would easier if i just gave it it's own thread

Make sure you check out Umachines' tutorial found here http://www.mvpmods.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=9851.html

It is far more comprehensive and better than what i have put together below.

Tutorial for extracting graphic files for edit and importing back into game using EAGRAPH.

Make sure you have the latest version of EAGRAPH. You can download it here: http://www.nba-live.com/eagraph/index.php

NOTE: If you are trying to edit fielding gloves, cather's mitts, or bats, things can get pretty tricky when you are dealing with the inistay.big file (contained in the inistaz.big file). Use the utility found here http://www.mvpmods.com/Downloads/details/id=1812.html to deal with these images - it is very easy and instructions for use are inlcuded in the readme. It can also be easily adapted to change any .fsh file in the inistay.big file.

1) Start EAGRAPH and open the .big file that contains the .fsh file that contains the graphic file you want to work on. (If you are working on uniform files then the appropriate .fsh file can be found in "models.big".)

2) Highlight the appropriate .fsh file and then click "extract" and save file to "My Documents" or another convenient place on your drive. If file is compressed the program will notify you and ask if you want to decompress - click "yes" and click "save" again.

(NOTE: At this point you can use the amazing nFSHTOOL (available for download here http://www.mvpmods.com/Downloads/details/id=79.html ) to extract the .bmp files from the .fsh file you extracted in STEP 2. The nFSHTOOL will create a folder with ALL of the .bmp files in the extracted .fsh that can then be edited with your favorite graphic editing tool. After you are finished editing and saving the .bmps, remember to open the "index.fsh" file (contained in the same folder that nfshtool creates) with the nfshtool.exe (right-click "index.fsh" and select "open with..") to update the main extracted .fsh file, and then move on to STEP 7 here. The nFSHTOOL makes things much easier in general especially if you are dealing with resizing the modified .bmp to a different size than the original file. Bigbully gives a great explanation of nfshtool basics in post below which I suggest you read if you choose to use this more advanced and versatile method.)

3) Next, still using EAGRAPH, click "open" and find and open the .fsh file in your "My Documents" that you saved in the previous step. A list of all the graphic files in the .fsh will appear on the left side of screen.

4) Select the graphic file you want to work on and then click "save as" and save as a .bmp file to "My Documents" or wherever is convenient.

5) Now you can open the .bmp file you just saved and edit with any grapihcs editing program including MS Paint. If you already have a .bmp file ready to go (make sure it is exactly the same size as image you are replacing) then, using MS Paint, open the .bmp file you saved in STEP 4 and click "paste from" and select your ready-to-go graphics image. Click "save as.." and save your modified .bmp to same place in "My Documents" - you might want to give it a different name so you will have the original .bmp for future modification.

6) Go back to EAGRAPH and open the .fsh file you saved in "My Documents" in STEP 2. Again, click on the graphics image you want to change. Now click on "Import Wizard" on the EAGRAPH toolbar. Make sure "Import an existing external file into the current open image" is checked in the pop-up window and click "next". Select "browse.." and find and select the modified image you saved in STEP 5. Click "open". Click "next". You should get a "Data Processing Complete!" message. Click "Finished".

7) Using EAGRAPH, click "open" and open the original .big file in MVP folder you opened in STEP 1. Do NOT open the .fsh file or the graphic file - just the .big file. Now, again select the "Import Wizard" on the EAGRAPH toolbar. Make sure "Add files to an external TAR archive" is checked and select "next". Click "add..." and find and open the same .fsh file you saved in "My Documents" (or wherever) - the same one you extracted and saved in STEP 2 and updated in STEP 6. Click "next". You should see a "Data Processing Complete!" message. Click "Finished".

That's it, your new graphic files should be good to go in game.

IMPORTANT: Remember even if you already have a "ready-to-go" .bmp image, you still must follow ALL of the above steps to ensure that graphic will work properly in game.

ANOTHER IMPORTANT NOTE: MVP will often use more than one graphic file for something that you might think would only have one. For instance, most uniform .fsh files contain 3 different jersey files (one that is used by pitchers and left-fielders..one that is used by 2b, SS, and 3b ..and one that is used by C,1B,RF and CF - I believe what positions use what jersey varies from team to team). Anyway, make sure you are changing ALL appropriate files when you are editing and updating graphics.

An alternative to STEP 7 would be to copy the .fsh file in your "My Documents" to the main folder of MVP along with a copy of GFXPAK (available for download here http://www.mvpmods.com/Downloads/details/id=108.html ). Then create and save a .bat file with appropriate command line like gfxpak -p datamodels.big "full name of .fsh file (without quotes)" if you are changing a uniform file. Then double-click .bat file to run and effectively update the files in game..hope that is clear - maybe that's a whole other tutorial haha

Hope this helps. This stuff is good to know but the real alternative to 99% of it is a little thing called MVP Studio. :)

raindelay7

another easy way to extract fsh files is FuzZ's Studio...

Once you encode a team, the selected uniform you're on is shown in the bottom right hand circle (the bitmap is). You can right-click on that picture and it will extract that uxxx.fsh, fxxx.fsh and the corresponding bmp for that uniform to wherever you have the Studio installed (it will automaticlally create a SAVES folder).

6) Go back to EAGRAPH and open the .fsh file you saved in "My Documents" in STEP 2. Again, click on the graphics image you want to change. Now click on "Import Wizard" on the EAGRAPH toolbar. Make sure "Import an existing external file into the current open image" is checked in the pop-up window and click "next". Select "browse.." and find and select the modified image you saved in STEP 5. Click "open". Click "next". You should get a "Data Processing Complete!" message. Click "Finished".

This is where I hit my first problem. After make sure "Import an existing external file into the current open image" is checked in the pop-up window and click "next," under where the original file is supposed to be "previewed" it says, "Error loading, Pleas press cancel." And it doesnt let me swap it with my new file.

Make sure you have not cut out any of the steps even if you already have a ready-to-go replacement image. Then make sure the modded .bmp is the same size as the original. If that is ok then it sounds like you might have a corrupt image somewhere.

You probably have other edits to your models.big, so instead of replacing entire models.big with a fresh copy, I would go to CD1 and copy original models.big (it is in a zip file called "compressed.zip" on cd1) to someplace other than your MVP folder. Then extract .fsh from that fresh copy. Save graphic image in question as .bmp from that extracted .fsh and modify THAT saved .bmp - edit directly using "paste from" to update image and again make sure that the dimensions of updated .bmp are the same as original.

Next, with EAGRAPH , open the "fresh" .fsh file you extracted above and import the new .bmp into it. - if you are still having same problem at this point you'll know for sure that there is a problem with your modified .bmp.

Hopefully all goes well and next you can open your "working" models.big in your MVP folder with EAGRAPH. Import the "fresh' .fsh with modded .bmp into your "working" models.big

let me know if this works

here's how I import instead of EA Graph - nfshtool (you can find it in the downloads section)....

Right-click on your uxxx.fsh file and open with nfshtool - this will create a folder w/all sorts of bmps and an index file. Choose whichever bmp you want to edit but when you save it, save it as a .png. I'll explain this further...

I use PhotoShop so I'll tell you what I do...say for instance you modded bmp 0001. Once you complete it, save as 0001.png. Then open 0001.png and save as 0001.bmp (in the folder nfshtool created) - say yes to overwrite.

Do this for all files you edit. Once finished, right-click on the index.fsh and open w/notepad. Now be very careful - on the 3rd line, if it says FSH, change this to QFS. QFS is a type of compression that will keep the fsh file as small as possible - say "yes" to save your changes.

Now right-click on index.fsh again and open w/nfshtool - that's it!

Now.....say you resized your unifom files to 256x256 (2X) instead of the stock 128x128. When you open the index.fsh with notepad, you'll have to find that file listed and change the parameters. It would look something like this:

NFSHTool generated file -- be very careful when editing

E:BackupDownloadGamesMVP ModsUMACumacbravesv1.6KC Cu025c.fsh

QFS

SHPI 28 objects, tag G357

BUFSZ 2738960

NOGLOBPAL

llod 0000.BMP

BMP 6D +2 128 128 {0 0 0 0}

alpha 0000-a.BMP

ETXT 69 64 16 {0 0 0 0}

EAGL64%20metal%20bin%20attachment%20for%20runtime%20texture%20management%00%00%00%00%00%00

ETXT 70 llod%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00

jers 0001.BMP 

BMP 78 +2 128 128 {0 0 0 0}

ETXT 69 64 16 {0 0 0 0}

EAGL64%20metal%20bin%20attachment%20for%20runtime%20texture%20management%00%00%00%00%00%00

ETXT 70 merf%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00
notice these lines: BMP 78 +2 128 128 {0 0 0 0} jers 0001.BMP You would change the 2nd line to this:

NFSHTool generated file -- be very careful when editing

E:BackupDownloadGamesMVP ModsUMACumacbravesv1.6KC Cu025c.fsh

QFS

SHPI 28 objects, tag G357

BUFSZ 2738960

NOGLOBPAL

llod 0000.BMP

BMP 6D +2 128 128 {0 0 0 0}

alpha 0000-a.BMP

ETXT 69 64 16 {0 0 0 0}

ETXT 70 llod%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00

jers 0001.BMP 

BMP 78 +2 256 256 {0 0 0 0}

ETXT 69 64 16 {0 0 0 0}

ETXT 70 merf%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00

Notice that line now reads:

jers 0001.BMP

BMP 78 +2 256 256 {0 0 0 0}

Do this for any file you resized, say yes to save changes and then rebuild w/nfshtool. Hope this helps!

for some reason, if you extract as bmp - especially if you have lines around the shoulders that go down to sleeves or sharp images- they won't match up right. Why? I don't know but Umachines filled me in on this last year when I was having that specific problem.

Make sure you have not cut out any of the steps even if you already have a ready-to-go replacement image. Then make sure the modded .bmp is the same size as the original. If that is ok then it sounds like you might have a corrupt image somewhere.

You probably have other edits to your models.big, so instead of replacing entire models.big with a fresh copy, I would go to CD1 and copy original models.big (it is in a zip file called "compressed.zip" on cd1) to someplace other than your MVP folder. Then extract .fsh from that fresh copy. Save graphic image in question as .bmp from that extracted .fsh and modify THAT saved .bmp - edit directly using "paste from" to update image and again make sure that the dimensions of updated .bmp are the same as original.

Next, with EAGRAPH , open the "fresh" .fsh file you extracted above and import the new .bmp into it. - if you are still having same problem at this point you'll know for sure that there is a problem with your modified .bmp.

Hopefully all goes well and next you can open your "working" models.big in your MVP folder with EAGRAPH. Import the "fresh' .fsh with modded .bmp into your "working" models.big

let me know if this works

It worked!

Well, sort of... I edited a jersey, and it works for all the players except the CF, SS, and pitcher. Those three have the old unis still for some reason. :?:

I'm not sure how to fix that, but regardless, thanks heaps for the info!

It worked!

Well, sort of... I edited a jersey, and it works for all the players except the CF, SS, and pitcher. Those three have the old unis still for some reason. :?:

I'm not sure how to fix that, but regardless, thanks heaps for the info!

There are usually 3 jersey .bmps in every uniform .fsh. For instance, for the Colorado Rockies home unis the 0008.bmp is the jersey used by the pitcher and left-fielder...the 0010.bmp is the jersey used by the C,1B,RF, and CF...and the 0011.bmp is the jersey used by the 2B,SS, and 3B...this probably varies somewhat from team to team but there are usually always 3 jersey files.

make sure you change all three files when you are modding jerseys.

• 1 month later...

Problem I'm coming up with.

I've added or modified various uxxx.fsh files in the models.big file several times (shoes, helmets) with EAGraph with no problems, but I just recently tried to import bigbully's batting gloves to overwrite the regular batting gloves.

I do the normal steps I do for the shoes and helemt and click on the bglt (glove) file and click on the Import Wizard button to import the new batting glove...BUT right when I click on the import wizard button an error message pops up about some access module error.

Any ideas why it doesn't let me change the gloves just like everything else?

i've tried this on 4 uxxx.fsh files and they all give me the same error...ONLY with the batting gloves. Everything else imports fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, need some help, went through and did everything, got the message saying that it saved

Writing to C:Documents and SettingsOwnerMy DocumentsFuzzStudiosavesOakland Athleticsuniform-au001a.fsh

Where I'm stuck at, is how to get the files into the game?

Don't I need to get the f001a.fsh from somewhere so it's updated as well?

Archived