Does Anyone Know Mvp2004's Pitch Calculation Formula?

vbprogjoe

I don't know if anyone can help me, fill me in on, the MVP2004 pitching formula used within the game to assign the "final" rankings/ratings given each pitcher after you assign the pitch movement, control, and velocity (just control and velocity for 4-Seamers). I've searched the forums manually for any mention of it, and I can't really say I've found anything that helps or answers what I'm interested in. I've perused the Prospect Calculator (or whatever it is called), and that tells me what the rankings would be, but I'm still at a loss as to how the game arrives at the specific ranking value. I've found references to information I already know and understand, but not the actual formula (equation).

For example, if a given player (Player X) has the following ratings in the Player Editor for his pitches as follows:

4-Seamer (76 rating):

Control = 38

Velocity = 91

Sinker (60 rating):

Movement = 30

Control = 47

Velocity = 87

Screwball (53 rating):

Movement = 40

Control = 21

Velocity = 75

Circle Changeup (45 rating):

Movement = 10

Control = 14

Velocity = 77

2-Seamer (58 rating):

Movement = 30

Control = 41

Velocity = 91

... It seems obvious that the movement of a pitch has the greatest weight, as the ratings increase much quicker in exponential arc when you modify that value. I just don't know what that "weighted" coefficient is within the MVP architecture. I also question whether if the specific player has an "internal" star rating that is greater than another pitcher, whether those coefficient(s) increase in value accordingly, or whether they are static in value. Also are there differing coefficients for specific pitches (i.e. does a sinker have a higher coefficient than a 2-seamer or 4-seamer; or does a screwball have a higher value coefficient than a forkball, etc). I've tried tens of permutations to figure it out by myself, and none give me a consistently accurate account that seems to apply "across the board" for ALL my sample pitchers. Any help or added information on the preceding would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks Sincerely,

--- vbprogjoe (Joe W.)

• 3 months later...

Just Curious, does anyone know the formula - yet???

Thanks,

--- vbprogjoe

I don't know if anyone can help me, fill me in on, the MVP2004 pitching formula used within the game to assign the "final" rankings/ratings given each pitcher after you assign the pitch movement, control, and velocity (just control and velocity for 4-Seamers). I've searched the forums manually for any mention of it, and I can't really say I've found anything that helps or answers what I'm interested in. I've perused the Prospect Calculator (or whatever it is called), and that tells me what the rankings would be, but I'm still at a loss as to how the game arrives at the specific ranking value. I've found references to information I already know and understand, but not the actual formula (equation).

For example, if a given player (Player X) has the following ratings in the Player Editor for his pitches as follows:

4-Seamer (76 rating):

Control = 38

Velocity = 91

Sinker (60 rating):

Movement = 30

Control = 47

Velocity = 87

Screwball (53 rating):

Movement = 40

Control = 21

Velocity = 75

Circle Changeup (45 rating):

Movement = 10

Control = 14

Velocity = 77

2-Seamer (58 rating):

Movement = 30

Control = 41

Velocity = 91

... It seems obvious that the movement of a pitch has the greatest weight, as the ratings increase much quicker in exponential arc when you modify that value. I just don't know what that "weighted" coefficient is within the MVP architecture. I also question whether if the specific player has an "internal" star rating that is greater than another pitcher, whether those coefficient(s) increase in value accordingly, or whether they are static in value. Also are there differing coefficients for specific pitches (i.e. does a sinker have a higher coefficient than a 2-seamer or 4-seamer; or does a screwball have a higher value coefficient than a forkball, etc). I've tried tens of permutations to figure it out by myself, and none give me a consistently accurate account that seems to apply "across the board" for ALL my sample pitchers. Any help or added information on the preceding would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks Sincerely,

--- vbprogjoe (Joe W.)

Archived