Is the Lefty issue really that bad?

KenDammit

I hardly notice it, I still hit homeruns...my worst issue is the choppiness. I feel like my eyes are bouncing back and forth when trying to watch a throw. I also don't know if its a bug but, I really can't stand the way CPU fielders go lightspeed to catch a driven ball through the infield. They move so fast sometimes you can't even see them take a step.

The unrealistic fielder speed(which can be fixed with sliders) and the graphic issues are the downer for me on this game.

The lefty bug is pretty bad. It might not be the 'worst' issue with the game, but it's quite annoying, especially if you have left-handed power hitters in the lineup.

Too often I see hard flyballs that look out drop like a brick and end up as doubles at best.

So far with my Marlins dynasty, I've hit 1 HR with a LHB (Milton Bradley - a switch hitter, and the ball barely got out). Meanwhile, Miguel Cabrerra, who has 60/60 type ratings when batting against a RHP, has 11 and is the first in my league to 10 HR.

It's even more noticible with a switch hitter. Luis Castillo has 3 HR, all batting right-handed. He's not a power hitter, but he can hit them hard in the air when batting right-handed. He can't hardly get them to medium depth outfield when batting left-handed and his ratings are pretty much the same either way.

In my Boston dynasty, David Ortiz has 1 HR. 1. Vlad and Sexson have 15 each.

I hardly notice it, I still hit homeruns...my worst issue is the choppiness

interesting because i don't have too much of a problem with lefties either although i have been playing with seattle now (because of the barry issue with MLBPA and also because me and my wife may be moving there in a year- yay finally a city with a mlb team since my family left the bay area as a kid, and also because we have their AA affiliate here in san antonio - but i digress) so there is not a whole lot of power from the left side. when i was using pro mode i could hit them out with too much regularity left and right. in all star it is harder. if anything the lefty glitch, if there is one, may add a little realism. because guys like boone and martinez can still hit them out at the drop of a hat to any field. whereas if olerud or ibanez get hold of one (btw olerud is still hitless 10 games into my new dynasty - poor *******) it's like "wow!" exciting. and true they don't go as far or hit them quite as often. i like a little realism in my baseball games ( i am a true b-ball fanatic i will watch ANY GAME at ANY TIME) so i have to wonder if some of the lefty complaints are from people who like 5-6 homers per 9 innings. now given olerud or ibanez or ichiro don't have the power ratings of say thome and others and i have never used them. so maybe i am wrong. but it seems if anything the glitch is that the righties hit them out too easy, but maybe because we live in an age of the homerun happy game, that is why there is the complaint of the "lefty glitch". sorry to blather on.

I'm not homerun happy, but I still see the lefty bug as a major issue. However, it's not just because of a lack of homeruns. It's also the fact that the same bug is allowing lefties to get hits that righties can't. For example, using Rod's data file on All-Star mode (there seems to be too few HR's on MVP level) just watching the games (and stepping in for substitutions) Jim Edmonds is hitting over .400 (unrealistic) because of the fact that his easy fly balls turn into hits because of the downspin on the ball. 29 games into the season, Edmonds hitting .423 with 0 HR's just isn't realistic.

I demand realism from my games, and the lefty bug takes away from it. So I'm playing OOTP until it gets fixed. :)

Lefty bug has been a big problem for me too. In 40+ games (about 30 on Pro and 10 on All Star) I have yet to hit a homerun with a lefty. Granted Corey Patterson and Todd Walker don't have that much power, But when Carlos Zambrano has more homers than all of my lefties combined (2) it's a problem.

As I think if it, I think I've hit it to the warning track once.

i think it can be difficult to hit homers with anyone at times...like right now i haven't hit a homer in 5-10 games with a righty, and have maybe hit 4 with my lefties. I'm the twins so they aren't a super powerful team, so i'm not too affected by the lefty bug. The only time i really notice it is occasionally the cpu will do a mistake pitch in my red zone and my ball will have so much top spin it'll only go to the first baseman for an easy out.

I agree with the choppiness though. If the next patch only fixes that, i'll be really happy

i dont no how some people say there isnt one i have played over 100 hundred games on mvp and allstar level and i havent even givin up a hr to a lefty

i don't think anyone is saying there isn't one. just some of us are saying we don't notice it as much. probably because we are using teams without that much power from the left side. as far as giving up HR's to the cpu i haven't given up too many to batters from either side. have given up a couple to the angels though.

I play with the METS at all times(I cant stand playing with anyone else. i feel om cheating on my boys).

So as far as lefty power goes, I have:

Floyd

Garcia

Matsui

Reyes

I played 24 games for a Spring training type thing, and here are my results from them

Floyd 3 HR

Garcia 3 HR

Matsui 2 HR (1 Left-handed)

Reyes 1 HR (0 Left-handed)

Not alot, but compared to the righties on my team, about the same

Cameron had 3, Phillips 3, Wiggy 2, Spencer 2, Zeile 1 and the biggest one of all Piazza had 9

I did notice that the lefty homeruns werent as long though. I do believe theres a small problem, but its not as big as it has been made out to be.

THE CHOPINESS IS THE WORST PROBLEM EVER THOUGH

I have have no problem hitting HRs with lefties either (jr has 40 120 games in) the problem is Larue a righty has 50 and he has half the power rating the JR has.

it KILLS the fun

The physics for right and left hander NEEDS TO BE the same.

If it was everything else could be fixed with sliders and DAT file mods

Lefties also have way too many balls drop infront of the fielder for cheap hits. Righties do not have such problems

yeah if i had to say there was anything goin on with lefties and righties, i'd say that its ball flight. I think lefties actually hit the ball harder because of their spin, but that spin also causes less distance. Playing with Boston in a dynasty, Ortiz has 9 homeruns, Corey Patterson has 4, Jason Varitek has 6, and Mueller has 5...I think thats all the lefties...and thats about..50 games into the 2006 season. My right handers are way more than that, but they are all my power Manny, Nomar, my own created player, Ivan Rodriguez, Austin Kearns.

I don't think its that lefties can't hit homeruns, I think its all ball flight, as i said earlier. As an interesting thing to throw into the conversation..i would venture to say that the average homerun rate for a major league game is probably 2 or 3....so hitting 5,6,7,8 a game is pretty unrealistic.

I too don't give up many homeruns to lefties OR righties..and if i do it barely goes over the fence, no matter who hit it.

Don't forget that the average homerun is probably 400 feet...i've hit 500+ pretty regularly, which is also unbelievably unrealistic. I believe right handers have MORE power, left handers are accurate.

I don't think its that lefties can't hit homeruns, I think its all ball flight, as i said earlier. As an interesting thing to throw into the conversation..i would venture to say that the average homerun rate for a major league game is probably 2 or 3....so hitting 5,6,7,8 a game is pretty unrealistic.

exactly.... so as not to **** anyone off, i think maybe there could be some tweaking from the left side possibly. but from the right side homers are way too frequent, guess can be adjusted in game though to your personal pref.

also a little off topic but what's the correct tweak to stop the cpu from diving and robbing every single gapper? that to me is the most unrealistic aspect in the game.

exactly.... so as not to **** anyone off, i think maybe there could be some tweaking from the left side possibly. but from the right side homers are way too frequent, guess can be adjusted in game though to your personal pref.

also a little off topic but what's the correct tweak to stop the cpu from diving and robbing every single gapper? that to me is the most unrealistic aspect in the game.

I don't think there is anything to fix that. Its pretty unrealistic to me, too. I guess i am pretty unsatisfied with the whole defense regarding the CPU. Too many balls are caught, too many diving catches are made, too many times they're in the exact spot the ball is going without moving or barely moving at all.

Yeah...I would have to agree with everybody who said that there is an extreme lefty bug in this game. Case and point, I have a dynasty with Seattle and I was offered Griffey for Ibanez, and Delgado for Garcia and Olerud, so I went ahead and took those trades figuring I get a couple of primo lefty sluggers, this being before I was aware of the lefty bug. Now I'm about 95 games into the season and Griffey has 4 HR - Delgado 8 HR and all 12 barely cleared the wall. On the other hand, Boone has 60 HR, Martinez has 52 HR and even Aurillia has 38 HR. Then I got Wynn, a switch hitter, has 17 HR all from the right side. Ridiculous. From what I have observed, I'd say there is too much power given to righties and none given to lefties. All the lefties can do is pound line drives, which is great for Ichiro, but not for Delgado, 8 HR 95 games in, no deal. Hope that patch fixes this crap. Well, there's my 2 rather long cents on that issue.

Peace. Mariners suck. :banghead:

Ok FIVE, but are they going to release something so that we dont have to do all that work? Is Rod going to?

And is he going to do it without his camera part?

Just to be honest, I have no idea. I may try it out and if it's not too hard I'll post back.

there is a pretty good difference. Instead of the usual dive and catch on every ball in the outfield, there are a lot more gap hits and things like that.

as far as a path to do it.....I'm not really good at explaining things like that..so maybe someone else can give that part a shot.

It makes me nutts since I play with the Reds and Dunn has mostly warning track power. But the thing that makes me the craziest is when you crush the ball and the anouncer says that the ball is gone only to have the ball drop short at the warning track.

Ok FIVE, but are they going to release something so that we dont have to do all that work?

After doing it, I don't think it's all that difficult. Yes I think even you can do it.

1. Download the Datafile Compression Tool.

2. Extract it and run DFCompUtil.exe.

3. Check Wordpad and then press Decompress and Open datafile.txt.

4. It will open up in a new window.

5. Press CTRL + H

6. In the dialog box that follows put:

Find What: 217 1.0000;218 1.0000;219 1.0000;220 1.0000;221 1.0000;222 1.0000;223 1.0000;

Replace With: 217 1.0000;218 1.0000;219 1.0000;220 25.0000;221 1.0000;222 1.0000;223 1.0000;

7. Save it and close Wordpad.

8. Back in the Compression Utility, press Compress datafileEdit.txt

That should be it.

Archived