Random Thoughts On A Sunday Morning Updated To 11-19

Yankee4Life

I don't have a problem with anything you said Y4L. Sometimes I might react to something you say on here just to see what your motive was. But I've never been offended by you.

I'm really excited about this father's day, I'm taking my dad to see Brian Wilson in concert - music we'll both really enjoy

The only thing I disagree with is this comment about the Yankees that you made:  "They have a lot of contracts that no teams would touch while they were sober."

I might be wrong, but I think you meant, "They have a lot of contracts that no teams would touch while they were sloshed out of their minds."  Obviously, if they were sober, they would know better to trade for those contracts.  But, if they were stone-cold drunk and were still smart enough to turn down those contracts?  Now, THAT would be an accomplishment!

Thanks for the occasional write-up, too!

I don't have a problem with anything you said Y4L. Sometimes I might react to something you say on here just to see what your motive was. But I've never been offended by you.

That makes me really happy to know that. I don't write this stuff in here to offend you at all and I am glad you see it in the way I intended it to be. I don't mind you saying to me what the hell are you talking about or are you serious ? Take that Jerry Remy comment today. It was a complete fabrication on my part when I called him Boston's Father of the year. If Boston ever had that kind of award he'd be the last guy to win it. I gave him that award because I was setting up the punch line at the very end. I try to make people laugh in here the best I can.

I'm really excited about this father's day, I'm taking my dad to see Brian Wilson in concert - music we'll both really enjoy

I hope you both have a wonderful time and that the two of you kept yourself hydrated.

The only thing I disagree with is this comment about the Yankees that you made:  "They have a lot of contracts that no teams would touch while they were sober."

I might be wrong, but I think you meant, "They have a lot of contracts that no teams would touch while they were sloshed out of their minds."  Obviously, if they were sober, they would know better to trade for those contracts.  But, if they were stone-cold drunk and were still smart enough to turn down those contracts?  Now, THAT would be an accomplishment!

Thanks for the occasional write-up, too!

You know what? You're right. Thank you. And I am glad you liked this latest edition.

That commercial was pretty good.  Now see I wonder how that would go over in the US amongst Caucasian PC people.   Do you have trouble with changing the Black guy into another race?   Or do you have trouble with it being an Asian guy coming out??  Either way, you can't win the argument.  

If we're supposed to be "all accepting", then technically, you should have no trouble with that commercial at all.  She was just changing up to a guy she wanted.  See? It really doesn't matter if you're Black or White (or Yellow or Red).    Ulp!!  I said "yellow" and "red"..... that's racist!!

That commercial was pretty good.  Now see I wonder how that would go over in the US amongst Caucasian PC people.   Do you have trouble with changing the Black guy into another race?   Or do you have trouble with it being an Asian guy coming out??  Either way, you can't win the argument.  

If we're supposed to be "all accepting", then technically, you should have no trouble with that commercial at all.  She was just changing up to a guy she wanted.  See? It really doesn't matter if you're Black or White (or Yellow or Red).    Ulp!!  I said "yellow" and "red"..... that's racist!!

I understand what you are saying. I think it was crazy the way people got worked up over this. There are a lot of problems in the world and we also have our own individual issues we have to deal with but to be concerned about a commercial from China should not be something to worry about.

• 6 months later...

Updated to 1-15

...I am still having a hard time deciding what the biggest upset and surprise was for 2016. Donald Trump winning the seat in the White House or the Chicago Cubs winning the World Series. Got to admit though if you are a Republican and a Cubs fan you had a hell of a year.

...What I am pretty sure of is that Major League Baseball was thrilled with the Cubs victory for breaking their 108 year World Series draught because that meant that Cubs fans would flock to MLB Shop and buy all the over priced gear related to their favorite team finally winning it all.  You want a men's home jersey? $134.99 please. Oh, you want an authentic one? You should have said so.  That will be $261.99. Thank you so much. How about a Cubs World Series hat? You got to have that with the jersey. Only $22.39. Can I interest you in a World Series Champions T-shirt so you can wear it with pride when summer rolls around? Just $27.99. That's a steal! And before you wear your T-shirt you are going to need a hoodie for Opening day because you never know how the weather's going to be in early April at Wrigley. Here's a World Series champion hoodie for only $59.99. Thank you for coming!

...I do not pretend to understand people's views about politics and that has helped me throughout the years because I've never been involved in a political argument. Every time someone talks to me about politics in an attempt to convince me that their views on things make the most sense I always say 'maybe you're right' and that ends it right there. But between you and I and anyone else reading this today I would like to ask why they think things are going to change so much when Trump takes office later this month? Politics is the art of making nothing happen while looking busy at the same time.

...One final thing. If you or someone that you know is upset that Trump is president and Hillary Clinton is not then consider this. The voter turnout for this election was at a twenty year low. What the hell does that tell you? I suppose you can interpret it any way you want but I think a lot of people just didn't give a sh**. How would it have looked had five percent more of registered voters turned out to vote? It could have been different but now I'm just speculating. What I do know for certain is that if you or anyone else did not vote and were not happy with the final tally then you have no reason to be agitated.

A week or so after the election I saw on the local news that a lot of people were so upset with the election results that they were having panic attacks and were beginning therapy. Really? What the hell do they expect Trump to do, add another day to the week so people will have to work more? As ridiculous as that sounds I am confident I could have convinced some of these people that he was considering this. There's a saying that I am sure everyone has heard many times and it goes like this. The more things change the more things remain the same. In other words relax.

...Even though a lot of time has passed, I am still upset at how the Yankees shoved Alex Rodriguez out the door back in August while at the same time allowing an equally unproductive Mark Teixeira (A-Rod hit .200 and Teixeira hit .204) to finish out the year. You can love the guy or not. That's not the issue here. The point is that he deserved a lot more respect than he got from the New York Yankees. The Yanks showed more respect to David Ortiz in September on his last trip to the Stadium when he retired than to Rodriguez a month before. I laughed when Joe Girardi said “My job description does not entail a farewell tour.” Either the guy has a bad memory or he is lying through his teeth. I'll leave that to you to decide because just two years prior he did just that when Captain Wonderful said goodbye to the game. While managing to lead the Yankees to miss the playoffs that year he made sure Jeter was nice and comfortable for the entire season as he refused to drop him in the order because he wasn't hitting at all and the only time he really helped the team was when he wasn't playing. “We’re trying to win,’’ Girardi said. Thanks for the insight Joe. Good thing there isn't any farewell tours for awhile now. Who knows how he would have screwed the next one up.

...I don't know about any of you but probably the best day for me of the entire holiday season has to be Christmas itself because you know when you are walking down the stairs on Christmas morning everything related to sales and buying and buying some more is put away for another year. There ought to be a song for that.

...Hope Solo is going about it in the wrong way if she wants to return to the U.S. women's national team. The team's players are negotiating a new collective bargaining agreement with U.S. Soccer and Solo wants them to "hold their ground" to get more pay during the negotiations. It's not exactly the attitude to get back in the good graces of the people who run the women's soccer team but it just goes to show how clear Solo's thinking is. She's probably had one too many soccer balls bounce off her head. If she was a boxer they would say she is punch drunk.

If you recall U.S. Soccer suspended her for six months and terminated her contract because she called the Swedish national team “cowards” following a quarterfinal loss at the Rio Olympics. Naturally she had people defending her and were implying that she was fired because she was a woman. The fact that most people turned a blind eye to the fact that she was arrested for assaulting her sister and nephew, stealing a team van with her husband and drove it while intoxicated and has been a terrible role model for sportsmanship on many occasions even before the Olympics.The team terminated her not for her comments but the culmination of all of the above actions. We do the same thing at our homes each and every time we take out the trash.

...MVP Baseball wasn't even invented yet the last time the Oakland Raiders made the playoffs. That was in 2002. That should give you an idea how long ago that was. Since the Super Bowl blowout the Buccaneers gave the Silver and Black that year there really has not been much to cheer about in Oakland. This year, finally, it was different. The Raiders were winning games. Twelve in all. And a lot of them reminded you of the comeback wins this team used to get all the time back in the 70's. But when Derek Carr went down with a broken leg against the Colts you just knew that the Raiders season ended on that play too. The players and the coaches all said the right things before the Denver and Texas playoff game. Maybe they were trying to convince each other because no one else outside the Raider locker room believed it. I don't blame Matt McGloin or Connor Cook. They just didn't play enough to get into a rhythm. I have confidence in this team because I think they finally got the players that want to win and their draft choices have proved to be a lot more intelligent. No more Jamarcus Russell draft picks. Next year it should be time for the Raiders to win that division, something that they should have done this year.

...And if there was any justice in the world someone like Colin Kaepernick would have broken his leg instead of Derek Carr.

...When I was stationed in San Diego for six months I saw with my own eyes how much the people in that city loved their football team. Don Coryell was the coach of the Chargers at that time and he also owned a sporting goods store in the city. I happened to discover it by accident one day and when I went in there were a few people there buying some Charger and Padres gear. I wasn't there for either one of those teams and about the only thing I saw for the Yankees were as few hats but I did find me a black t-shirt with the Raider shield on it. That's when the hooting and hollering started. They told me I had the wrong shirt and asked me where I was from and if I was on parole from a nearby prison. When I told them I was here because I was in the service they somehow got it into their minds that I didn't know any better because if I did I'd be wearing Charger Blue.

Don Coryell actually came into this store every so often but I never saw him. The people there loved him and San Diego loved the Chargers. They were all over the place when I was there. Radio, TV, papers, you name it. Those people were loyal to that team then and it hasn't changed after all these years. That's why it was so hard for me to see pictures of those fans burning their Charger jerseys and hats. They did not deserve to lose their football team and I am really afraid that the same thing can happen to the Raiders.

When is this going to stop? These NFL owners are blackmailing their cities to get what they want and if they don't get their way they'll leave. The Spanos family who owns the Chargers is worth over two billion dollars. They couldn't use some of their money to build a new stadium? What other teams are next? Jacksonville? Tennessee? Buffalo? Someone else? Trust me, this isn't over. It's just starting. Look, I know this is just a rant of mine but this just isn't right. These owners could care less about the people who buy their tickets and keep them in business and you won't understand unless it happens to your team or your city.

...I miss baseball as soon as the World Series news trickles down but I have to say the best part of the off season is not seeing or hearing or thinking about Michael Kay. How the Yankees managed to get the worst TV play-by-play guy in baseball is embarrassing for a team that is so rich in tradition as they are. The guy spends just as much time praising the other teams as he does the Yankees. The next time he says "see ya!" is when the Yankees are throwing him out the door.

...What the hell is it with Brett Gardner that the Yankees can not get rid of him?

...When Carrie Fisher died a few weeks back Steve Martin made what appeared to be a very nice and respectful twitter post on her passing. He called her beautiful, witty and bright and what should have been just a simple message of respect from one entertainer to another turned out to be another reason for a bunch of people to complain about what Martin wrote. They complained so much that Martin was forced to delete his post despite the fact that he had a lot of supporters who saw what he wrote and had no problem with it. This is what happens when you put an iPad in the hands of ugly, fat women who have never been called pretty or beautiful in their entire life. If they can't be called those things then neither will anyone else.

...My niece watches a TV show on the CW called Supernatural and if you've never seen that show it's something else. Scary as hell. I tried to watch one with her but I never made it. I think she's seen just about all the shows of the series and I got to give her credit because she's not afraid of anything. One time she asked me who I thought was one of the scariest characters I've seen on TV or the movies and my answer had her running to Youtube to see what I meant. I told her that when I was a little kid I used to watch reruns with her mother of Gomer Pyle and every time Sgt. Carter ran into a room you could see how angry he was and he was always yelling. Throughout the years that character has always stayed with me and even when I was in the service and I was getting chewed out for something I could not help of thinking of the late Frank Sutton, who played that character to perfection.

Man, I missed this! I happen to agree with a lot of what you say.

Voting is down all over the world, not just the US. People are kind of tired of what regular politicians say and do. To me, Trump is just what he always has been - A guy selling a product, and this time he sold himself to the American people. I highly doubt much will change. You put it perfectly when you said politics is the art of making nothing happen while appearing busy. Like a former portuguese dictator once said: When you don't want something done, name a commitee.

About the Jeter-Rodriguez-Teixeira situation, I wonder how many of those decisions actually went through Girardi. I think he's a good manager, and he's done a pretty good job with the material he's had. I mean, there is now way the Yankees top brass let Joe sit Jeter. Or even Teixeira - and he did try to play Austin as much as he could. As for A-Rod, they couldn't wait to push him out the door. I still believe A-Rod is going to be an asset in developing and mentoring young players.

Best day of the holiday season to me? December 27th. That's when it's all over! In all, between Christmas spent with my wife's family and mine, my brother in-law's birthday on the 25th and mine on the 26th, I went through 6 different Christmas\Birthday parties this year. Oh, and that leftover food and cakes and whatnot from all those parties ended up in my refrigerator because my house was the last stop of this whole never-ending Christmas partying. I gained 15 pounds. Seriously. Fifteen. In three days. I'm fighting next friday, so you can guess how fun it was losing all that extra weight.

Goalkeepers are strange in every sport. Hope Solo is just following what's normal for people who don't mind when others shoot things at them.

I don't know much about football (of the american kind that is). I just know that the Portuguese American Football champions are a team started by a guy I went to school with and who is a distant cousin. He's the team president as well. In three years he started the team and now is running all over the competition and they even had some ex-NFL guys on their roster. So that's my team. Go go Lisbon Devils!

I don't dislike Michael Kay because I've only ever heard him. And most of the times, since the games are played at around midnight in Portugal, I watch the games on mute or with very low sound (except when Sanchez hits a ball, that can be heard all the way over here. Wow!)

I'd prefer the Yankees trade Ellsbury, but I get what you're saying.

It's so sad about the Steve Martin tweet. I mean, when is this politically correct thing going to end?! It's not like he insulted anyone, he made a compliment for christ's sake! Grow up already! I always say that the problem with this world isn't dumb people. It's people who think they can think. And they can't apparently.

Want to watch something scary? Turn on the news.

Next week is the Jiu-Jitsu European Championship. Last year, the day before my students fought, I totally ripped off Mariano Duncan and posted this on our board:
"We fight tomorrow. We win tomorrow. That's it"
In english and all. 
I had four people fighting and we got a gold and a bronze medal, everyone fought admirably. Some of the proudest days of my life, and I couldn't stop thinking of out that phrase helped motivate my guys. I'm doing it again this year. Man...baseball!

About the Jeter-Rodriguez-Teixeira situation, I wonder how many of those decisions actually went through Girardi. I think he's a good manager, and he's done a pretty good job with the material he's had. I mean, there is now way the Yankees top brass let Joe sit Jeter. Or even Teixeira - and he did try to play Austin as much as he could. As for A-Rod, they couldn't wait to push him out the door. I still believe A-Rod is going to be an asset in developing and mentoring young players.

Well, maybe you are right. Maybe Girardi was told to play Jeter no matter what and if that is what happened it cost the Yankees a playoff spot in 2014.

There's no way he should have been hitting second the entire season. He hit .256 that year and only had 149 hits and of those 149 hits he only had 24 extra-base hits. So he really wasn't much of a threat. But the only thing people will remember is that he got the game-winning hit in his final game at Yankee Stadium. The guy went out on a high note and that one hit covered up his entire season of basically being a designated out.

Girardi let Jeter have his farewell tour for the entire season and he enabled him every step of the way. I think the Yankees wanted to keep Jeter happy for the 2014 season because they didn't want him to get mad at them in case he decided to write a book in the future or refuse to attend special events at the stadium when they invite him. That would make them look bad. So they let him bat second day after day when he should have been lower in the order or on the bench when he wasn't hitting. I bet they couldn't wait until that season was done and he left.

• 2 weeks later...

Updated to 1-29

...Donald Trump's inauguration has come and gone and if you'll look around you'll see the world did not come to an end even though some people were certain that that was going to happen. And just like the inauguration ceremonies for Presidents Obama, Bush and Clinton I did not watch any of it. I wanted to be fair. Besides, there was a movie on that I wanted to see. I did read that evening that over two hundred people were arrested in Washington because they protested Trump becoming president. I'd like to know how many of the people who were arrested actually voted back in November. I'll say it again. If people felt so strong about not having Trump in office they should have showed up at the polls. It's like they were depending on others to do their voting for them. I'll admit I am not his biggest fan but he is keeping his word on the Muslim situation.

...They can always try Mexico, Dept Donald Trump signed an executive order barring citizens of seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the United States for the next ninety days and at the same time suspended the admission of all refugees for one hundred twenty days. The only complaint I have about this is that the ban should have been even longer. People from all over the world are upset about this new U.S. policy mainly because while this ban is in place they can't use America as a dumping ground to send these Muslims to. I'm aware that a lot of these refugees are good people who just want to get away from what is going on in their homeland but at the same time we can't risk having some terrorist sneak in so he can plan something in our borders. When Iran found out that they were one of the countries whose citizens were banned they called it an "insult" and in turn they banned U.S. citizens from their country. I'm sure a lot of tears are going to be shed from that decision. Coming from someone who does not like Muslims dating back to what they did to the World Trade Center sixteen years ago I don't mind this at all. The door is temporarily shut on them now. Now we need to lock it.

...One thing I got to ask. This guy's got a lot of money, right? So why is it that he is always wearing the same dark suit, white shirt and red tie?

...Well, one more. Stay the hell off of Twitter. You are the president now. Stop fighting with Hollywood people and anyone else that doesn't agree with you. The office of the presidency should not leave you time to insult Meryl Streep, Alec Baldwin or Madonna. Discretion is the better part of valor and if he doesn't know what that means he can look it up.

...I wouldn't mind one bit if Ivanka Trump gets photographed a lot more because her father is president now. She's a hell of a lot nicer to look at than Chelsea Clinton, whose teeth jut out so much she puts a beaver to shame.

...When Trump's first day in office came and went a realization hit me that made me laugh out loud. Suddenly millions of people did not have Obama to blame for everything anymore and it made me wonder who their scapegoat was going to be next. Certainly not Trump. He's building a wall. :D

...Super Bowl 51 is next week down in Houston and I am going to be forced to end this season as an Atlanta Falcons fan because there is no way in all that is holy that I will be rooting for a Boston team. If the Patriots end up winning this game I am not going to be bummed about it. It's just that when a Boston team wins their fans have to remind you of it over and over again. These people are the worst fans in the country. Philadelphia gets a lot of press for this but they don't compare to Boston. Have you ever gone to a wedding where someone ends up having too much to drink and makes a total jackass of himself? Now multiply that by a stadium full of Patriots fans or Red Sox fans and there you have it.

...Lady Gaga will be performing at the half time show. That's when millions of TV sets around the country will change the channel and check out what is happening at the Puppy Bowl.

....Show me the proof, Dept: People think I hate the city of Boston because of the Red Sox. Nonsense! That's only part of it. Mostly it's because of the people. The night before the AFC Championship game a Patriots fan sneaked into the Logan Airport Hilton where the Steelers were staying and pulled the fire alarm in the middle of the night. He did it because he said he was dared to by his friends and when he was reluctant to go through with it they triple-dog dared him and as everyone knows when that is said to you there is no way you can back out. So he then walked into the hotel, stumbled to the first fire alarm he saw and pulled it. His friends were waiting for him in the car and they took off but did not get far when they were caught by the Massachusetts state police. According to the arrest report this loyal Patriots fan told police “I’m drunk, I’m stupid, I’m a Pats fan.” No kidding? What Patriots fan isn't? The fan was charged with disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace and setting off a false fire alarm and the Patriots announced the next day that they will be paying all legal fees for him because he showed the "true spirit of a New England Patriots booster." The Red Sox got involved too as they gave this guy season tickets for the upcoming 2017 season. There's even talk of him throwing out the first pitch. Stupidity pays in Boston. They always claim to be a well-bred and educated city that boasts such prestigious schools like Harvard and M.I.T. But the reality is that Boston is full of blue collar trash.

...Did you see where McDonald's now has three versions of the Big Mac? There is a small Big Mac called the "Mac Jr" and it's a a smaller, single-patty cheeseburger with all the ingredients of the regular Big Mac. And the "Grand Mac" is an even larger version of the Big Mac, with 61% more beef and it weighs 1/3rd of a pound. They're really pushing these new items and they really want the bigger one to be a hit because it compares to Burger King's Whopper. McDonald's is making sure to let everyone know that the same ingredients are included in both of them but they have not mentioned how much more fat and calories this big one is going to bring to the table. It's like they don't want you to even think about it until you put ten pounds on without thinking about it.

...And Yankee fans? Forget any hope for C.C. Sabathia for reporting next month in any kind of shape. He'll be knocking off so many Grand Macs that they'll have to hire more people at the McDonald's he goes to.

...And any hope for the Red Sox that David Ortiz changes his mind and comes back one more year is gone now too. That guy knows how to put 'em away too.

...Despite their roster cleaning that they did last year and their focus on youth, the Yankees could not resist in signing thirty-seven-year-old Matt Holliday last month to a one year contract worth thirteen million dollars. Like an alcoholic who sneaks a drink they just couldn't help themselves when they saw him out on the market minding his own business. After three sub-par seasons the Cardinals said goodbye and see you later and the Yankees won the bidding war against themselves to put him into pinstripes for this upcoming season. “I think I have a lot left,” Holliday said last week at Yankee Stadium. I don't know if he was trying to convince himself or the Yankees. Well, at least it was a one year deal. Cashman learned his lesson with Beltran.

...Johnny Manziel said last week that he wants to get back into football again and admitted that he did not like the person that he was last year because he was "lost in the sauce." He wasn't just lost he was swimming in it. This guy made a lot of mistakes and he played himself off the roster of the Cleveland Browns and he really made himself look bad but at the same time there has been a lot of players who have been suspended or released who have returned to the league and continued playing. Manziel was his own worst enemy and he probably had a bunch of people sponging off of him and telling him he was doing nothing wrong. He needed some real friends to straighten him out but you know how it is when someone listens to you and it goes in one ear and out the other. Manziel ignored them until it was too late. If someone like Adrian Peterson can return to the Vikings after child abuse charges then Manziel has a chance. But he has to show it. He just can't say it.

...ESPN has dropped commentator Doug Adler after he compared Venus Williams to a "gorilla" at the recent Australian Open even though he has repeatedly said the word he used was "guerrilla". Even though Adler has apologized for the misunderstanding and despite the admission by ESPN when they said that the two words are pronounced similarly and therefore it was impossible to say for certain which word Adler spoke, they still removed him from his remaining assignments. Is this how bad things are now? Well, we don't know if you did anything wrong and we really can't prove anything but social media says you are guilty so that means you are. Just once I'd like to see a company stand up to these idiots on Facebook and Twitter and just ignore the hell out of them. These people need to realize that not everything that happens and everything that is said is not a major incident to be made a big deal out of. I never heard of this guy until now and I didn't watch the Australian Open but the two words do sound alike and if he says it was a misunderstanding then just take him at his word and stop acting all shocked and offended.

...Not too long ago I got a letter in the mail inviting me to join a neighborhood community that is on a website called nextdoor.com. Nextdoor is a private network for your neighborhood and it helps you connect with your neighbors about the things going on around you. You can post something that you want to give away or you can welcome someone to the area, etc. There's also a lost and found section too. Before I joined this website the neighbors across the street from me lost their cat and were spending a few days walking up and down the street looking for it. They knocked on my door asking me if I saw it but I hadn't. The lady told me that the cat was an indoor cat and they had the door open and that's when he ran out. I'd have to say the cat was gone for almost a week and when he was gone that long I thought he'd never be found but then I read on the site that they found him in a neighbor's garage and they brought home. I was pretty happy about that because this all happened a few weeks ago and at the beginning of this month it was pretty cold and I imagine it had to be worse for an animal that is used to being inside all the time.

Well, after I learned that the cat was home safe and warm I sent them a message telling them how happy I was because this woman was a wreck about not having her cat with her and then I asked them what steps could be taken for it to not happen again because losing a pet once is more than enough. Any cat owner will tell you that these animals are extremely fast and eventually you are going to have to open up your door again to go out. I went on to say that the winter has a long way to go and I didn't want anything to happen to their cat. They said I brought up a good question and they thanked me for my concern because they know I was looking for the cat every time I went outside.

Imagine my surprise the next day when I received an e-mail from the website informing me that someone read my comment and that anonymous person deemed it "offensive and inappropriate." It's been a few weeks now and I still can not understand it. I was told by some people who have been there for awhile that there are some people who do nothing but complain on that site and once I found that out I wanted nothing else to do with it. I got a lot of support for my comment that 99.9% of the people saw as no problem at all but one person decided they didn't like it and an issue had to be made of it.

Nothing was done about it and to this day I don't know who complained or why but it made me happy that I am not a well-known person because if certain people read these random thoughts (Bostonians, people from Florida, Philadelphia and Detroit, politically correct people and Muslims) they'd be going ballistic and making my life a living hell. :D

...Recently a judge in Illinois sentenced a woman to forty-three years in jail for the murder of her eleven-year-old daughter. This little girl had a very short and hard life because she was kept locked up in a closet that only had a sink in it and was fed a bowl of cereal a day by her mother. She died in September of 2014 when her mother punched her in the stomach so hard that she developed an infection that ended up killing her. At the time of her death she weighed only sixty-seven pounds. When you think you can not be shocked anymore you suddenly find out you still can. The problem I have with this long prison sentence is that the woman is only thirty-five. She can still serve all her time and be released when she is in her late seventies, provided nobody kills her first. And since she is ineligible for early release, Illinois tax payers will be footing the bill for her for over forty years since there is no death penalty there. When she goes to prison she should be treated exactly like she treated her daughter. They should put her in a closet with just a sink and give her only one bowl of cereal per day to see how she can handle it. But that won't happen. The sad part is she will be fed better in prison than she fed her own child.

..Checking in with Florida, Dept: A twenty-three year old man was arrested in Pensacola, Florida on charges that he has been having sex with the family pit bull for years. No one would have ever been the wiser about it until one of his own family members notified the authorities after she saw the man take the pit bull to his room and engage in sexual contact with her. The woman, who happened to be the man's sister, told police that the dog has been sodomized more than one hundred times in the past few years and she was getting very tired of her brother choosing to have sex with the dog instead of her. If it were anyone else the first time this would have happened the police would have been called and the dog taken away. But with these redneck white trash they let it go on until someone got jealous.

...And I bet that every time this guy got done giving the business to the dog he never once thanked her, said he loved her or sent her flowers.

...What the hell is it with people broadcasting their suicides on Facebook now? A month ago a little twelve-year-old girl hung herself and last week a fourteen-year-old Florida girl hung herself in her bathroom. Also, a thirty-three-year-old actor named Jay Bowdy told his followers that were watching via live-stream that he was going to do himself in and true to his word he did just that. It is not my intent to try and inject some humor in this because I don't see anything funny here. This is not an isolated incident with these three people too. Obviously they were all very troubled and depressed and had different reasons for ending their lives. But what I don't get is broadcasting it live so people can watch it happen. Whoever saw this as it was going on has an image in their mind that they will never get rid of for the rest of their lives. Social media. It gets worse every day.

...Right now little is known about the circumstances surrounding Yordano Ventura's and Andy Marte's fatal crashes in the Dominican Republic one week ago. Toxicology reports won’t be completed for weeks and in Ventura's case, mountainous terrain and foggy conditions may have been contributing elements. What is known is that they were both driving at a high rate of speed and with the poor condition of the roads in that country you had to wonder what was going through their heads at the time.  I'm sure that there has been some talk about alcohol being a contributing factor but before the official cause of death is released to the public I am not going to assume that. But drunk or not they were still speeding and they would have had better luck driving blindfolded at night on the hills of Tennessee than on those roads in the Dominican. We only hear about this when someone from the sports world dies down there because I am sure this happens quite a lot to someone who does not hit or throw fastballs for a living. R.I.P. to both of them.

...And before I sign off I want to give my condolences to Mary Tyler Moore, who passed away last week at the age of eighty. I first saw her on the Mary Tyler Moore show back in the 1970's and I could not get enough of her and the rest of that talented cast. Youtube has full episodes posted on there and if you've never seen it I am sure you'll like it, especially Ted Knight's Ted Baxter character who stole just about every scene he was in. Rest in peace Ma'am.

• 2 weeks later...

Updated to 2-12

...Ok, let me get this one out of the way before I get on to the fun stuff. Last week's Super Bowl was probably the best one I've seen in years and that includes the one nine years ago when the New York Giants ruined the Patriots perfect season. If you look back on the fourth quarter of last week's game you could see it coming. Everything Atlanta did right in the first half they couldn't do then and visa versa. It did look like a comfortable lead when it was 28 - 3 but then all of a sudden I thought of the Bills - Oilers playoff game in 1993 when Houston had a 35 - 3 lead over Buffalo and they saw the Bills come roaring back as they lost the game in overtime to them. So, in the back of my mind I knew it was possible but at the same time did not want to see history repeating itself. But it did and New England earned it and their fourth quarter showed why they have been champions for so long. And that's where I end this. That will be the last time I praise or congratulate a New England team for the rest of the decade and probably the next one too. I feel so dirty.

...Thank you Tom Brady, Dept: While no motivation was needed for me to continue hating New England after my rare public praise of one of their teams, Tom Brady was kind enough to provide me with one anyway. Next month he is going to be at a autograph session and if you plan on going and want to get the John Hancock of the five-time Super Bowl winner you are going to have to have a lot of cash. In fact, you better dip into your savings. Here are the rock-bottom sale prices for each item:

Footballs....$1,000 each.
                              Autographed photo....$850.
                              Patriots mini-helmet....$900
                              Brady "game day" style jersey....$1,200  (add another $400 and he will add "5X SB CHAMP" to the jersey. And (this gets even better) for another $500 he will add a twenty character personalization to it, bringing the total to $2,100.)

The sad part is that people will pay and not think twice when they do it. The guy is a multi-millionaire and he's going to make his fans pay this much for this stuff? What about those little kids who think this guy walks on water? How are they going to pay for any of this? Thanks Tom. Thanks for getting me back on the right path back to hating everything your city is about. What a guy!

...Besides the Patriots the biggest winner in the Super Bowl was a company named GNC. GNC (General Nutrition Store) purchased air time to have one of their ads played during a break in the action at the big game. Four days after FOX approved their advertisement it was rejected by the NFL. The reason why was that a few of the products that GNC sells are banned by the league. That decision by the NFL was the best thing to happen to this company because instead of paying five million dollars (or more) for a Super Bowl ad they are now getting five million dollars worth of free advertising.  While trying to suppress a smile the CEO of GNC expressed disappointment that the ad could not be aired but he said that it will still be aired on television and other platforms. I'm trying to understand this. The NFL won't let them air their ad because some of their players abused GNC's products? They come down hard on them for that but game after game and year after year it's ok to push beer onto their fans because everyone knows that beer is completely harmless.

...Welcome back baseball, we missed you, Dept: The last time we saw a baseball game was back in November when the Cubs somehow managed to win the entire thing. It's been over three months now and I still can't believe it. Well, we are going to find out if they are good enough to defend their title or sink down to fourth place where they belong because Spring Training opens this week with all teams reporting to their respective camps. Sixteen of the teams have their pitchers and catchers report tomorrow and one team, the American League Champion Indians, open up today in Goodyear, Arizona. They sure had one of those last year and Tribe fans are hoping for one more victory this year so they can really go nuts. I'll be cheering them on as soon as the Yankees eliminate themselves on Labor Day. :D

...I'm not defending the St. Louis Cardinals here and I even think they got off lucky by only losing a couple of draft choices and some money to the Astros but don't you think that if they hired a better hacker they would have got away with it?

...High-fives to the Baltimore Orioles, who refused to sign selfish and moody Jose Bautista over the off-season because their fans did not want that guy wearing an Oriole uniform. Even though they knew his right handed bat would have helped in their lineup their fans would have stayed away by the thousands in protest or would have used Bautista's head as target practice for anything they could find to throw at him. Let him stay in Toronto. He fits right in there so well it's like he was born there.

...I don't know how the spring is going to work out for the Yankees and I admit they have a lot of questions. Will Luis Severino bounce back? How about Greg Bird from his surgery? Who will strike out more, Aaron Judge or Chris Carter? How well will Gary Sanchez do for an entire year up in the majors? I can play the what-if game about this team until the sun comes up tomorrow because that's how many questions I think they have but there are at least five positive things I can come up with right now.

1. Mark Teixeira is gone and he is not coming back. Just looking at first base on opening day and not seeing him there will bring tears to my eyes. I'll miss his glove but not his strikeouts, pop ups and double play balls. I hope he doesn't show up for spring training because he might jinx someone.

2. Brian McCann is gone. He was another one of the superstar free agents that the Yankees seem to be always drawn. Even though they didn't need him he was there and what the hell, may as well get him. It's only money. They're like women who can not resist going into a shoe store when a sale is going on. Even though they may not need anything they got to go in and you know once they are in there they won't leave empty handed. Good riddance to this guy.

3. This is C.C. Sabathia's final year with the Yankees as his contract runs out as soon as the 2017 season is completed. I only have two words for him. Get out.

4. Welcome back Adrolis Chapman. Now I am going to sit back and wait until he drills Jackie Bradley, Jr. and Mookie Betts, Boston's two biggest hot dogs and show offs now that David Ortiz has retired and moved into a Dairy Queen in a Boston suburb.

5. The World Baseball Classic is this year. While indirectly this has nothing to do with the Yankees, I can't wait to see what country shows up these overpaid millionaires on the American team this year. There's been three already and the red, white and blue have not come close yet.

...Last week a rattlesnake slithered out of the toilet in a West Texas home and the family had to call a snake removal company to remove it. Luckily the snake was discovered before anyone sat down. When the company arrived they captured the bathroom intruder and after an inspection of the house the guy found thirteen adult rattlesnakes inside the cellar and ten underneath the house. That's enough to supply you with a few years worth of nightmares. I'll tell you one thing, if I lived there and had to go to the bathroom I'd go to the nearest gas station before I sat on that toilet.

...Just an observation here but if the new administration would worry about the country as much as they care about what happens on Saturday Night Live  we may start to make some progress. Never mind. I'm talking nonsense. I need to lay down. :D

...I am not in full agreement with a lot of things coming out of Washington these days and that includes the people surrounding the President. This Sean Spicer guy has a pretty bad attitude along with a face that looks like it is there waiting to be punched. And where the hell did Trump dig up this Kellyanne Conway woman? I'm trying to figure out how many face lifts she's had. I'm going with five. But what I am in agreement with is the travel ban on those seven Muslim countries. It is amazing how much these people are treated like victims here. It seems to me that for some people what happened on that September day sixteen years ago is forgiven and forgotten and there's no hard feelings. These people are the worst of the worst and if you don't believe me go ask France.

At the same time I know there have been a lot of good people being screwed by this travel ban. People who have lived here for years can not get back into the country and some who have not left the United States at all are being deported. These are the same people who are being hurt by this more than anybody else and who have no say when they see their families torn apart. So, I understand the frustration here and it all can be traced back to 2001 and what these people have been doing since then. They have been killing people all over the world in unspeakable ways all in the name of their religion and people are getting tired of it.

Life was a lot better and much easier before these people took out the towers, part of the Pentagon and crashed another plane in Pennsylvania. Why isn't this drilled into the public's heads? I'm kind of curious as to how schools teach what went on back in 2001. In this politically correct world I am sure that the kids are taught that only a small number of Muslims did this. That's true. There would have been more but some of them didn't have money for the plane ticket so they had to do their cheering on the ground. But not all Muslims are bad!!! Oh, do I hear that a lot. And believe it or not I have to agree with this and I am not saying it reluctantly. I am sure that there are a lot of good people that want to come here that are tired of what's going on there and there are already good people here right now that are no threat to anyone. But how do we know which ones coming in are just playing possum until they are let loose in society? We still have a lot of tall buildings here and everyone knows how much those people like blowing up things. The problem with this ban or at least when the ban is put back into place is that we don't know which refugee wants to come here and live and which ones want to come here and die.

...Major League Baseball has come up with another ingenious way to screw up the National Pastime and all I can say is I wonder what they are going to come up with next? Starting in the low minor leagues this year a runner will be placed on second base at the start of extra innings. If you think this is a lousy idea just imagine what the pitcher must be thinking when he walks out to the mound in the tenth inning and before he throws one pitch he's already given up a double. The purpose of this rule is to increase the action in the game once extra innings begin. I think it is a horrible idea but Joe Torre, the former Yankee manager who is now MLB’s Chief Baseball Officer thinks it is a good idea and is a strong proponent of the new rule. Of course he is. Baseball picked the right guy for this job because he goes along with whatever they say without objection. I am an old-fashioned baseball traditionalist and these new rules designed to speed up the game or tinker with it are getting worse and worse. If they really want to speed up the game they'll tell FOX not to air so many commercials between innings because a quarter of them are promoting shows on their network. That will speed it up right there. But this?? A bunt and a fly ball can win the game and when that happens I bet the losing manager will be fit to be tied. You know what? I got an idea. If you don't want to sit through extra innings then just leave. Or change your channel.

• 5 months later...

Updated to 7-23

...I was going to have an update in this thread at the end of April but as the saying goes, life happened. I'll provide the abridged version here so I can move on to other more important things. Back in 2009 I had a hernia operation and a mesh had to be put in me because of that surgery.  Over time I recovered from that surgery and everything was fine for these past eight years. Then on the 27th of April I started having some problems and I was told I had to go to emergency and they ended up admitting me and I did not feel fresh air on my face until two weeks later when I was discharged. A CAT scan showed that I had a fistula and to clear that up I had to have surgery. Since I had no choice in the matter I said it was a great idea. The surgery took a lot out of me because when I was sent home I was very tired all the time. Partly it was because I could not get any sleep in the hospital and partly it was from the severity of the operation. I am getting stronger now and that is clear to me because I never would've been able to write this a month ago without having to take a break. So, now that that's out of the way on with Random Thoughts.

...As if I needed another reason to hate Red Sox fans, one of them provided me with one during Boston's recent trip to Houston. Here's what happened.  George Springer of the Astros hit a ball just barely fair over the third base bag and the ball bounced into foul territory as it headed towards the wall in left. When it reached the wall a fan reached down and made contact with the ball which ruled the play dead. When Boston's Xander Bogaerts came over to retrieve the ball one young Red Sox fan felt he had to let him know that he was not the one who touched the ball because the little bastard must have assumed that was the only thing on Bogaerts' mind. Never mind the game. The kid kept on pointing at the Astros fan who touched the ball and didn't let up until the stadium security people came down and took the guy away. The guy who got thrown out was the one wearing the light brown cap and if looks could kill that kid would have been slumped over instead of pointing at him. That must have been the highlight of the afternoon for him. Forget about the game - he was happier knowing he screwed someone over. With the haircut he had he looked like a reincarnation of the Hitler Youth organization of Nazi Germany. He'd of had a ball turning in terrified Jewish families back then.

Sox fan.jpg

...As we all know baseball is a sport ruled by statistics. For instance if you want to know the stat for every Yankee left fielder since 1990 who have hit home runs at home off of left handed pitchers you'll be able to get it. I don't know where you'd find something like that but there must be a place where useless information like that can be dug up. Some people are consumed with stats like this but I'm not one of them. How does knowing something like that help out the 2017 Yankees in any way? It doesn't. That's why I don't understand all the excitement about exit velocity when a batter hits a home run. Does it really matter how fast it takes for a ball to land in the outfield bleachers? The stat guys went nuts when Aaron Judge hit a home run with an exit velocity of 119.4 miles per hour because that was the fastest home run hit since they began keeping track of it starting in 2015. A bloop homerun hit over the left field wall at Fenway may not reach 100 mph in exit velocity but it's still a home run. To me it doesn't matter how fast they go out just as long as Aaron Judge and the rest of the Yankees keep hitting them.

...There will be no Muslim rants here today even though I realize ISIS recently attacked England twice within three weeks. ISIS took credit for them because, well, why the hell not? Even if the men who did this were not actual members of ISIS they made that organization look good by carrying out these cowardly acts. It was what happened in Portland, Oregon not too long ago that made me decide to take a look at things differently. That was when a man started yelling ethnic and religious slurs toward two women who appeared to be Muslim on a train. The man who did this was a white supremacist. If you don't know what that means just try to picture a bunch of beer drinking rednecks. The guy also killed two people who were trying to help the two women and injured another. Understand one thing here. I get why a lot of people are apprehensive about Muslims. They just got done attacking London twice. But there had to be many Muslims at the Ariana Grande concert in Manchester that were only there to listen to her concert and when that van drove into those pedestrians in the Southwark district in London there had to be many Muslims there who along with everyone else were just enjoying a pleasant night with friends or co-workers. Food for thought, at least for me.

...Another good reason why not to watch ESPN is that they hired Mr. Brittle himself, Mark Teixeira, to be a baseball analyst. I seriously would question how much this guy really knows about the game except for grabbing the best seat on the bench during one of his long disabled list stints.

...I'm wondering when Greg Bird finally gets back on the field next year that he's going to have to break in his glove again?

...I had to laugh when I was listening to what some people had to say when it was announced that Derek Jeter was interested in buying the Miami Marlins. Because it was Jeter they all assumed that he would be a great owner because, well you know, he's Jeter. Jokin' Joe Torre said that Jeter would do a fantastic job because of how he conducts himself. Torre's been kissing his behind for over twenty years now so what else was he going to say? But Joe you're talking about how he handled himself on the field and with the press all these years. How do you know how well he will do as an owner? Will he open up his checkbook like Magic Johnson did in Los Angeles or do the opposite? Don Mattingly was happy about it too when he said he would look forward to working with him in Miami. Let's see if he says that if Jeter ends up firing him one day. The MLB Network experts also backed Jeter 100%. Why not? You don't want to get him mad just in case you need to interview him about something in the future. Based on what you read from one day to the next all these praises may not mean anything or they may mean everything because one day he has the money to buy the team and the next he may not have enough. What a shame. It doesn't matter to me if he buys the Marlins or not. I just wanted to hear someone come out and say that they really could have cared less if he bought them. But that was too much to wish for.

...Angel Hernandez is suing Major League Baseball on accusations of racial discrimination because baseball has promoted only one minority umpire as crew chief in the history of the game (newsflash: it wasn't him) and is also complaining that only one non-white umpire has worked a World Series since 2011. Despite his lawsuit Hernandez was still picked to work last week's All-Star game in Miami. If it wasn't for colleagues such as Laz Diaz and C.B. Bucknor this guy would be the worst umpire in the major leagues. With these two around they give him a run for his money. If there is one lawsuit that baseball should not break a sweat about it's this one. Umpires work the World Series games on merit. Only the best of the best get to be on the field when the game's champion is decided and that's why Hernandez is home every year when the series starts.

...When I first heard that Pablo Sandoval was designated for assignment by the Red Sox I immediately guessed (incorrectly I should add) that there were two big winners after this happened. First of course is Sandoval. No matter what he's getting paid 48 million dollars to watch Netflix and Hulu. With all that money he can eat half of Southern California. I originally thought the Giants were the other winners in this because they were the team the got rid of him three years ago and they weren't the ones to sign him to that huge contract. But for reasons that made sense only to them, they resigned Sandoval to a minor league contract and assigned him to Triple-A Sacramento. The Giants are having a terrible year and if there is one team that you should consider to be sellers before the trade deadline it's these guys. They have no where to go except to go home when the season wraps. Signing Sandoval is basically a no-risk move. If he helps, great. If not, thanks for trying.

...What worries me most about Michael Pineda's injury really has nothing to do with Pineda himself. Addition by subtraction as Branch Rickey used to say. In other words getting rid of someone like the Yankees are forced to do with Pineda's upcoming Tommy John surgery will end up making the team better and there is nothing better than getting rid of an inconsistent pitcher. At the same time I am hoping that the Yankees don't trade one of their good young players for a pitcher just to make the playoffs this year. I'm all for keeping these young guys and building for the future. That's why I was happy when Jose Quintana was snatched up by the Cubs. The Yankees probably could have had him but they would've had to overpay. If they don't make the playoffs this year that's fine. Next year is fine by me. I won't feel better until the trading deadline is done. Not with this team.

...Katherine Dettwyler, the University of Delaware professor that was fired for her controversial comments on Otto Warmbier was not entirely wrong. As it happens so often people concentrated on one thing that she said and ignored everything else. Dettwyler started out calling Warmbier a "spoiled, white, rich, clueless American college student." Talk about hitting a bull's-eye. She was right on every count. Warmbier was traveling in China when he decided to go to nearby North Korea for a backpacking tour. That made as much sense as an American walking around Syria waving the Stars and Stripes around because if your name isn't Dennis Rodman you're not going to be welcome there. Warmbier and his friends celebrated the New Year with a drink or two or a lot more than that and they continued drinking when they returned to their hotel later that evening. Sometime during the night Warmbier, armed with courage provided by Mr. Jack Daniels, tried to steal a state propaganda poster. Touching or even looking at posters like that is considered a serious crime in North Korea and the next day when Warmbier was scheduled to leave with his group he was detained and in a trial that Perry Mason or Clarence Darrow had no chance of winning, was sentenced to fifteen years hard labor.

Warmbier only served eighteen months of his fifteen-year stint because he was returned to the U.S. last month after suffering a severe neurological injury and he died six days after he returned home. The comment that got this college professor in trouble was when she went on to say that he got "exactly what he deserved." That's when the pitchforks were taken out and the complaints started piling in. As stupid as this guy was I won't go as far to say he deserved to die at such a young age (he was only twenty-two.) Everything else this woman said I agree with. The guy was an idiot to willingly go into that country. He had to have heard of Kenneth Bae and what he went through for over two years. But he still went. I'm sorry the guy died but he put himself in the position to get in trouble. When they have the Running of the Bulls each year people get the hell out of the way when they see one coming at them. What Warmbier did was stand out in front of one and let himself get run over.

...When I take everything in account, I consider myself a pretty lucky person although not lucky enough to win big in the lottery. I usually get good parking spaces when I go to stores, I have a great family and there isn't really anything that I really need to have. So I'm pretty content. Despite all this I seem to be a magnet every time bratty kids are around. Take last Monday for example. It was a beautiful morning and I went to have breakfast with a cousin of mine who is getting married next month. We were there for about twenty minutes catching up with each other when a mother and her two kids and what looked like the grandmother came into the restaurant. The little boy who was with them ran ahead of them and was jumping up and down and making enough noise that for just a second I thought the entire place was going to get up and pay their bill at once just to get out of there. I turned to my cousin and told her that I guaranteed her that these people will be sitting at the table next to us. Sure enough that's what happened and for the next five minutes she laughed so much that she couldn't even drink her coffee. Then my luck was with me once again because the mother calmed down the little demon. I don't know how she did it but he sat down and pouted for a bit until his chocolate milk came and he shut up for good. I don't have kids of my own and I have always been told if I had one I'd have a different outlook but when I see kids like that it makes me want to run in the opposite direction. :D

• 2 months later...

Updated to 9-24

...As another baseball season is coming to a close I don't know whether to be sad that the season will end this week or be relieved that the almost daily torture that the Yankees have put me through will finally and mercifully be coming to an end. I've tried to look at it more positively. Saying that they weren't even supposed to be as good as they were this year, that they were not even supposed to contend for a playoff berth, etc. Fine. But what I can't get past is how terrible they played for over two months starting when they made that west coast trip in June. The way I saw it losing those four straight games in Oakland to a last place team really started it off. Good teams pick themselves up from something like this. These guys didn't. They played the month of July like they were trying to hold on to a life preserver with one hand. Yankee teams in the past I've had faith in. I never had any with this team the entire year. I took out my frustrations on them in the shoutbox, I kicked a football so hard after one of Gary Sanchez' passed balls that I pulled a muscle in my leg, I threw a water bottle at the wall after one of Masahiro Tanaka's starts, not realizing that the bottle was still open and half full and I came within a hair of busting up an expensive pair of headphones after another ball went past Sanchez after he gave a half-assed attempt to catch. This guy gets me so mad that he almost makes me wish Jorge Posada was still around and that's saying something. Next year maybe I will feel different about them. Not now. And now that they are a wild card entry do you see them going far? Cleveland will tear them apart.

...But there were exceptions this year. I loved watching Didi Gregorius play. Now this guy is a shortstop. The range that this guy has! I haven't missed Derek Jeter at all since he retired because Gregorius is doing everything. You can't tell me that ex-Yankee pitchers who played with Jeter are not privately saying to themselves that they'd rather have had Gregorius there. They'll never admit it because it would be a knock on Captain twenty million. But Gregorius has proven he's better on a daily basis. If it wasn't for this guy I'd have had a harder time watching this team.

...Wouldn't you know it with all the destruction that Hurricane Irma caused in Florida that Derek Jeter's estate down there was not damaged at all? Believe me if it had the New York Daily News and the New York Post would have had it plastered on the front page for three days. They'd of made the suffering that the people who were hit by the hurricane the worst seem second rate because Jeter had mailbox knocked over by the high winds. :D

...All things Red Sox Dept: Instead of creating a bunch of different topics on the dishonest and evil ways of the Boston Red Sox I decided to keep it in one nice and neat little tirade. Easy for everyone concerned and a lot more calming for me because the less I talk about Boston the better it is for me. The city's representative sports franchises continue to prove at every given opportunity that the only way to play a game right is to cheat and, when you are finally caught red-handed, quickly blame someone else just to get the heat off themselves.

And that is precisely how the Red Sox got away with using which was first believed an Apple Watch to steal signs but in fact it was a Fitbit product. Like that really mattered. They still stole the signs from the other teams and that's how they were able to have that big comeback against Cleveland in early August and against the Yankees a few weeks later, just to name two games that stood out. Not for one minute were the Red Sox worried about drawing a stiff penalty from Commissioner Manfred because they know they're the Red Sox and things like that don't happen to them. Just to be on the safe side and to make them look like the victim to their fans, who apparently believe anything they are told, they blamed the Yankees for doing something just as bad as they did but if you ask any team around baseball they weren't having any of it. Dustin Pedroia, the team's sneaky second baseman who has been corking his bat since he broke in the major leagues in 2006, was a big part of stealing the signs from the opposition and all he did was laugh and gave any reporter who asked him a what-are-you-going-to-do-about-it smile when pressed for answers. Well, no one did anything. What a surprise.

If I were John Farrell I would be very worried about young Rafael Devers. In a recent interview Devers said that Robinson Cano has always been his favorite player because of the way he plays. So when Devers starts jogging down to first base like he's wearing ankle weights and plays like he only got an hour of sleep the night before he'll know why.

Finally, I must give credit to where it is due. Fenway Park is a wonderful place to watch a ball game and if you are lucky on some days you can sit out in the sun and work on your tan while watching the game. On the flip side you are practically guaranteed to sit next to a guy who just loves to let black players know what he thinks of them (ask Adam Jones of Baltimore about that) or someone who is keeping the Samuel Adams beer people in business all by himself. Usually if you get one you get the other. Yeah, go Sawx. Just go away.

...The beginning of the NFL season two weeks ago brought a lot of mixed feelings for me. I was glad to see the Raiders back even though they went winless during the pre-season but as they like to tell you it doesn't matter if they win or lose, the teams just want to see their new draft picks get some playing time, give the veterans some time on the field and avoid injuries. This is one of the few things that the NFL tells their fans that I have no trouble believing. But as I was listening to the game on the radio I was continuously reminded that the team was leaving Oakland again and this time I am afraid there won't be a return ticket. Love them or hate them football fans must admit -sometimes grudgingly- that the Raider fans are among the most loyal you will ever find. Look at what they did last week. They sold out the stadium in their home opener against the Jets even though they knew there isn't many home openers left for them. Mark Davis may have been given a $750 million dollar stadium in Las Vegas plus a carload full of incentives including unlimited credit for every casino in town but once they get to Nevada it is never going to be the same for the Raiders again and when that happens I just don't know if I am going to be able to watch football again.

...It wasn't just Oakland that I felt bad for. The people in San Diego don't have their Chargers to root for anymore because they refused to give money to the billionaire owner of the team to build his stadium for him. They voted to pay for schools and other necessities that they decided were more important than keeping a rich owner happy. So Dean Spanos took his team and his football and moved ninety miles up the coast to Los Angeles, a city by the way that never wanted the Chargers but there they are anyway. And they can't even sell out the smallest stadium in the league. As rich as this guy is that's how dumb he is too.

...Highway robbery with a puck, Dept: It's no secret that the city of Detroit has fallen on hard times. Putting it mildly, they're broke. But that did not stop the Detroit Red Wings owners from going there and somehow coming away with $250 million dollars to build a new hockey rink. What's even worse is that $13 million of that is coming directly out of Detroit school taxes. They are already hurting as it is and now it's going to be next to impossible to get a decent education there. Their schools are going to be so hard up now that three kids are going to have to share one desk. I don't understand why they did this and why they are so desperate to keep the Red Wings owners happy here. The only possible reason I can come up with is that the Red Wings are one of the original six National Hockey League teams and there is no way the Motor City wants them going anywhere. But it came at a high cost to keep these people happy. Detroit can not already properly fund their public schools so this cutback of thirteen million dollars is really going to make parents even happier. The real estate prices are among the lowest in the United States because people are moving out of Detroit at a steady pace and to top it off there is a huge police shortage where it is not uncommon to place a 911 call and wait up to an hour for a response. So a mugger can take your wallet, go to lunch and come back and mug you again just so he can be sure he didn't miss anything the first time and still get out of there in plenty of time before the cops arrive. But sure, give the hockey team 250 million. Great move.

...Have you ever noticed how many articles that are written on the internet about a waitress posting a receipt that she got from a customer and the sob story behind it? Last week I finished reading three of them but this one here stands out from the rest on its stupidity alone. Our heroine the waitress was serving two girls their meals and everything was going well until it was time to pay the bill. It seems that both girls did not like the makeup that the waitress had on and instead of leaving a few dollars for a tip they gave her another kind of tip when they wrote on the receipt that "contour is supposed to blend." (Don't ask me what that is supposed to mean. I don't even know what contour is but I know that the waitress would have taken money over that not-so-friendly tip.) Now here is the eye-rolling part. After the woman read what they wrote she said that it "didn't phase her at all." Sure it didn't, not at all. She just needed to take it straight to social media and the internet as fast as she could to let everyone know about how much it "didn't phase her." Yeah it sucks that they did that to you but the only reason why you ran to Facebook and Twitter was to see how many people were going to feel sorry for you. Some people are like that. That's how they get through the day. All you did was give them more attention for their actions.

...It's too bad a lot of you did not get to see ESPN during the 1980s when they spent their time broadcasting and covering sports instead of what they do best these days which is making headlines that make you question the sanity of the people that run the place. Jemele Hill, a female African-American reporter called Donald Trump a "white supremacist " and also “an unfit, bigoted, incompetent moron” and finally wrapping it up by saying that he was “unqualified and unfit to be president.” Well at least she covered everything. ESPN tried to take her off the 6 p.m. SportsCenter show she hosts because Trump wanted her fired but were unable to because of the protests of the other black hosts at the network so they forced her into issuing a public apology. For what? For posting her thoughts on social media. Isn’t that what Twitter is for? Trump does it multiple times a day and he's said much worse about other people than what Hill said about him. Just ask Mika Brzezinski.

Want more? Remember what happened in Charlottesville, Virginia last month when all hell broke loose during a white nationalist rally because some people were protesting the plans to remove a statue of Confederate General Robert E. Lee? Shortly after that happened the University of Virginia had their football home opener and ESPN was going to be there broadcasting the game but as coincidence would have it the guy who was scheduled to announce the game was named Robert Lee. ESPN was overwrought with worry here. They didn't want any incidents out on the field by the fans. If they wanted to start fights in the parking lot that was another thing. They didn't have to show that on network television. Now give ESPN credit here. They weren't fooled a bit. After many meetings with a bunch of stuffed-shirt executives in attendance they decided to remove Robert Lee from calling the game in Virginia. That's because one sharp, young junior executive spotted something in Robert Lee's name. All Lee did he pointed out was drop the E from his name so he could go incognito. The big shots were admittedly puzzled as how he turned into an Asian guy but when it they were reminded that it had to be a similar procedure that turned Bruce Jenner into a woman, they shook their heads and accepted that it was possible. Never mind the fact that the real Robert E. Lee has been dead all these 147 years these guys were happy with their decision that only made sense to them. That's why Lee, an Asian man who probably doesn't give a damn about the famous man in history that shares his name was transferred up to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to do the Youngstown/Pitt game. That made the suits very happy because now Lee was surrounded by a bunch of Yankees and he wouldn't dare make a move then. :D

...Now that I got my mind on Charlottesville it reminds me of something that I kept on hearing from some of the people on the TV news and from various articles on the internet that to me, if they had really thought about it, would not have asked the question at all.  "How could this happen in 2017 ?"  some people were wondering, as if demonstrations of this kind should have a different end result just because it's 2017. Or not even take place at all. The sad fact is that no matter how much progress is made (and in fact there is, just compare the present day to how things were fifty or sixty years ago) there are still and always will be a large group of people that will resist any and all change that they determine to be a threat to the "white way of life." Let me explain what I mean. The guy responsible for that car-ramming incident that killed that woman was all of twenty-years-old. Just a kid. Someone or more likely a group of people had to teach him how to think like that in that short period of time. They had to twist his mind to make him believe their way was the right way and the only way, just as someone before them taught them to think like that. These principles are either picked up or passed from generation to generation and what we saw and learned from that August night is the latest example of it. Fifty years from now if something like this happens again the same thing will be said. How can this happen now? The more things change the more they stay the same. Only the names change.

...Finally, well, I really don't know what to make out of this or really where to start. I expect I should just dive right in. Last week firefighters from a town in Germany called Worms were called to the hospital to assist in cutting off a 2.6 kg weight (which is a little over 5 1/2 pounds) off of a man's you-know-what. I know a lot of you are having a hard time believing this so to help you save time from googling this you can check it out for yourself by clicking on this link right here. Ok, let's go on. The firefighters spent quite a bit of time removing the weight from the guy using a a grinder and hydraulic cutter to get it off. When you think about it what else could they have used? One little slip up and....well you know. What I want to know is what was this guy thinking of when he decided to do this? It had to be torture trying to stand up let alone trying to walk around. And if he had to take a piss? Forget it. Maybe this was the closest weight around. Can you picture instead of this five pound weight grabbing a twenty pound one instead? A do-it-yourself hernia. Those firefighters would still be working on him now.

• 1 month later...

Updated to 11-19

...Naturally I am kind of disappointed about the Yankees not making it to the World Series, let alone winning it but with the way they played in the final two games of the A.L.C.S. it was hardly surprising to anyone who watched those games that they got what they deserved. When you score a combined one run on ten hits in games six and seven you are going to end up watching the other team move on and that's what Houston did. Yeah they outplayed the Dodgers in seven games in what was a total team effort but that's as far as I'll go with that because there's already enough people on the Astro bandwagon and I'll leave it to them to sing their praises.

...Yankee this,that and the other things to end the 2017 season, Dept: I admit they played a lot better than what was expected and I was reminded of that all year by Jim825, always the optimist. And it's true since I had them pegged for fourth place because I didn't have any faith in them and even when they were playing well I still couldn't bring myself to believe. My fault probably but I've learned not to be taken in by the over-hype of the New York press. Here's a few things that stood out above the rest that still has me doubting this team going into next year.

1. Gary Sanchez. He was so bad this year that he almost made me wish Jorge Posada was still playing and I hated that guy. He had thirteen errors and sixteen passed balls in 2017. He would have had more but fifteen of the games he played in were as a designated hitter. Despite this Sanchez was an All-Star. He was, until you took the bat out of his hand.

2. Aaron Judge. If you needed a perfect example of what New York hype is then look no further than Judge. If he was on any other team (excluding Boston because they'd have already been calling Cooperstown to let him in early) he would have been just another young power hitter with a huge hole in his swing that was easy to take advantage of. Easy? Throw it low and outside and before long he'd be walking back to the dugout. Watching the Yankee games this past summer I would always get up for a bathroom break or to get a drink or stretch my legs every time Judge came up because I had a good idea of what was going to happen and sure enough I'd usually hear Michael Kay telling everyone that he'd just swung and missed for strike three.

3. Luis Severino. I don't know what to think of this guy to be honest. He has come a long way but when the Yankees needed him the most (the wild card game against the Twins and game six of the A.L.C.S. against Houston) he didn't deliver. In fact he was downright lousy. Even Michael Pineda would have done better. But in order for these guys to win next year and beyond his talented right arm is needed.

4. Joe Girardi. I thought he did a good job but the Yankees wanted to make a change so that's that. That's not saying that I wasn't surprised by the news because I was. I really thought he was coming back next year but what can you do? For many years Girardi had an old, veteran team. Teixiera, Rodriguez and Jeter just to name three. All over paid and all immobile. And even with that Girardi made the post season. He'd of done it one more time in 2014 if the Yankees were not so concerned about kissing Jeter's ass in his final year. Whomever they hire I wish him luck.

...I got to admit it was a good World Series although the games were too long again. They always are but somehow they seem to get even longer. Take Houston's wild 13 -12 win in game 5. That took five hours and seventeen minutes to play. That's almost enough time to watch the first two Godfather movies. A lot of loyal east coast baseball fans dragged themselves to work the next day because of this and kids who are fans of the game, well, forget it. They were in bed long before the 9th and 10th inning drama took place. All the time-saving measures the Commissioner wants to put into place is just for show. You want to save time? Tell FOX to slice their commercials in half. You do that and you'll see faster games. I saw the Yankees and Dodgers play in the World Series for the first time in 1977. The Yankees won the first game in the Bronx in twelve innings over the Dodgers 4 - 3. That twelve inning game took three hours and twenty-four minutes to play. Less commercials is key here folks.

...I am not taking anything away from Willie Mays' Hall-of-Fame career but I do not understand at all why the World Series MVP award has been renamed the Willie Mays World Series most valuable player award? I don't need someone to rattle off his stats from the back of his baseball card. I know he had a twenty-two year major league career and he went to the World Series four times while only being on one winner (1954 New York Giants.) That's why I question why this award was named after him. How about naming the award after Yogi Berra? He played on ten championship Yankee teams in his career? Ten is greater than one. Or at least it was when I was in school.

...Because of one easily offended cereal consumer, Kellogg's is being forced to re-design their artwork on their Corn Pops cereal boxes because of a complaint of racism. The cover drawing shows cartoon characters shaped as corn kernels inside a shopping mall. They are shown shopping, playing in an arcade and one of them, presumably a teen-age corn kernel, is skateboarding down an escalator.

However there was one corn kernel that caught the eye of one twitter user, a man who has taken it upon himself as a defender of corn kernels everywhere. He noticed that there was one brown corn kernel and he was working as a janitor operating a floor waxer. The guy's complaint was that this was teaching kids racism as they look at their cereal box while they are eating breakfast. Give me a break. Kids could care less what is on a box of cereal unless it says "Free inside." Kellogg's showed how much backbone they had when they quickly responded that they will be redesigning the Corn Pops cereal boxes as soon as possible. And just like that another racist issue was met head on and dealt with in this country. Let it be known that the rights of corn kernels everywhere are recognized and defended in the United States of America. Now pass the milk.

...Now that this actually happened I am waiting for someone to complain about Kellogg's Honey Smacks. Have you seen them? They're all brown. Some of them can even be illegals. :D

...As soon as I heard about this story I knew I had to write about it. There's a twenty-five-year-old American woman who is facing a twenty year prison sentence in Zimbabwe for insulting their country's ninety-three-year-old President on Twitter when she called him a “selfish and sick man”. Now if this woman had written this about anyone in this country she wouldn't be in the trouble that she is now. But she didn't. She did this in Zimbabwe and over there they don't play like that. Because of that tweet she is being charged with attempting to overthrow the government. Nonsense, of course. All she is is another stupid American who thinks she can do whatever she wants in any country she wants to do it in. Her Freedom of Speech rights is only a right in the American Constitution and the only way I think she can get off the hook for this is if Zimbabwe becomes a state. When you travel to another country you have to remember you are the visitor and you should not expect the people and their customs to adjust to you. You adjust to them. After some time behind bars she'll find this out for herself.

...I prefer to watch television by myself as opposed to with another person or in a group because I have found that when I do that there is always someone who has to start talking non-stop as soon as the show or movie begins. They won't be saying a thing before it starts but as soon as it does you'll have a front row seat to who they saw the other day, what the latest gossip is, how their health has drastically changed since last week or that their car is making a strange new sound. While this is going on I am missing half of what is being said. :D

...Yehya, the guy who does those crazy movie reviews on the Jimmy Kimmel show really cracks me up. I don't know if I've seen him pronounce one movie right yet. :D

...With the exception of one incident a few weeks ago where he was escorted out of a Las Vegas hotel for causing a drunken disturbance, O.J. Simpson has been somewhat quiet since being released from jail early last month. Why the guy still wants to hang around Las Vegas is beyond me since that's the same place where he got in trouble and landed in jail for nine years. But he did say that when he got out he was going to do the same things he always did. Now that's a scary thought. If he gets lonely he can probably get someone to give him Casey Anthony's number. I hear she's single.

...Your Thanksgiving Day football schedule is as follows. The first game is the Minnesota Vikings at the Detroit Lions at 12:30 p.m. The states of Minnesota and Michigan will be watching this. Outside of those two states only Jim825 will be tuning in. At 4:30 p.m. the San Diego Chargers visit Dallas to take on the Cowboys. This is perfect. A lot of people may be just finishing eating at this time and watching the Cowboys on TV will help put them right to sleep. Works for me every year. And if you really want to watch a third game that day you got to wait until 8:30 p.m. when the New York Giants face the Redskins in Washington.

...Finally I want to wish everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving on Thursday. For those of you outside of the U.S. it will be just a regular day but for us it means gathering around with family that we haven't seen since last year at this time, eating turkey, watching football and devouring pumpkin pie, not necessarily in that order. Thanksgiving is a very old custom here in the U.S. dating back to the 1600's. At that time people from England came here and landed in Massachusetts and the first thing they saw after they got off their ship was a bunch of Indians walking around. They told them to pack up their teepees and get the hell out of there but just as the Indians were ready to ride off one of the settlers discovered that he was really hungry. So they told the Indians before you take off go and catch about a dozen or so turkeys and cook them for us and then when you are done with that you can scram. Well, they did and the Indian woman were such good cooks that the settlers invited them to have dinner with them since there was no way they were going to finish off all those turkeys by themselves. After dinner was done and the Indians cleaned up the place they started off again but instead of moving away one hundred miles from the settlers as originally planned, the people from England said they only had to move one mile. That's because Christmas was about a month away and they wanted another good meal. The place where they moved the Indians to was right near a swamp and that became the very first ghetto in the New World. The Indians and settlers got along famously for many years until one Englishman, who had a little too much wine, insulted one of the Indian wives cooking skills. Immediately after that was when the first scalping of a white man came about. But that's another story.

11 hours ago, Yankee4Life said:

When you travel to another country you have to remember you are the visitor and you should not expect the people and their customs to adjust to you. You adjust to them.

I'm thinking of quite some people who should read this before travelling half-world to wreck havoc.

I missed this thread.

More food for thought:

- I just read that in NYC, subway conductors are no longer allowed to treat passengers as 'Sir' or 'Maddam'. Only gender-neutral expressions are now allowed.

This is beyond stupid. I can't believe this...

Then again, an MMA fighter is pressing charges against another because he got punched in the face after an argument on the street. Keep in mind ladies and gentleman (oh, I'm sorry, I meant 'everybody') that this is a guy who gets paid to beat another human being to a pulp, yet he feels butt-hurt enough to file a complaint because he got what he deserved. This is the same human being who felt it was OK to travel to Brazil to fight and then proceed to insult the country and its people on numerous occasions. I'm an atheist, but I really hope there is a special kind of hell for this guy and for whoever came up with the idea of 'gender neutral'.

37 minutes ago, sabugo said:

More food for thought:

- I just read that in NYC, subway conductors are no longer allowed to treat passengers as 'Sir' or 'Maddam'. Only gender-neutral expressions are now allowed.

This is beyond stupid. I can't believe this...

This is news to me. I can't see what the issue is by saying to someone 'sir' or 'ma'am.' Good luck with that being followed.

On 11/19/2017 at 0:06 AM, Yankee4Life said:

...Your Thanksgiving Day football schedule is as follows. The first game is the Minnesota Vikings at the Detroit Lions at 12:30 p.m. The states of Minnesota and Michigan will be watching this. Outside of those two states only Jim825 will be tuning in.

I sure will!  The Vikings are playing their best football in years.  Like the Yankees, the Vikings are playing better than I or the experts predicted.  I'll enjoy the ride as long as I can.

4 hours ago, sabugo said:

Hmm, what?

Exactly what I said. This made no sense to me either.

3 hours ago, Jim825 said:

I sure will!  The Vikings are playing their best football in years.  Like the Yankees, the Vikings are playing better than I or the experts predicted.  I'll enjoy the ride as long as I can.

Should be a good game. They won big yesterday against the Rams.

• 2 months later...

Updated to 2-4

...Even though Super Bowl LII features the two worst sports cities in America -more on that in a minute- tonight's game has a few positive things going for it. Kickoff is at 6:30 p.m. eastern time and that should give everyone plenty of time to sneak a nice long nap in before you have to look at Tom Brady's face for four hours. You'll also have more than enough time to take a trip to the grocery store to pick up ingredients for a homemade pizza since it's going to be all hands on deck for the pizza shops because everyone is going to have the bright idea of ordering a sheet pizza and if you order it before the game starts you'll have a good chance of getting it by halftime. Finally, the game is on NBC and that means no Joe Buck. His father Jack Buck got all the talent in the family and when poor Joe came around there was none left for him.

Which brings us to the game. Boston's Patriots vs. Philadelphia's Eagles in the battle of the obnoxious fans and the championship of the National Football League. I think I'd have more fun watching my car get an oil change. It is almost fitting this game is being played in Minneapolis, a city known for nothing worthwhile unless you take pride in bitter cold temperatures. As much as I dislike Philadelphia there is no way I can root for Boston. My reasoning is if the Eagles win or lose their fans are going to tear up Philadelphia anyway and then after a few million dollars worth of damage they will get it out of their system. Not Boston. They'll show Philly they can start fires and break windows with the best of them but when they're done they'll be bragging about their win all the way up to week one of the 2018 NFL season. So, go Eagles.

...A windbag group called the Fritz Pollard Alliance complained that the Oakland Raiders did not follow the Rooney Rule when they hired Jon Gruden. It basically means that a team that is looking to hire a head coach must consider at least one minority candidate before offering the job to someone. I don't believe in that rule because I think you should hire the best coach possible. I don't recall complaints from anyone when men like Art Shell, Hue Jackson, Marvin Lewis or Mike Tomlin to name a few were hired. So why make a big deal when a minority is not hired? It just makes what they stand for look ridiculous.

...Right now the country of Mexico must be sitting back smiling and saying "I told you we weren't going to pay for that wall." :D

...This bit of news should make anyone who is as tired of winter as I am feel a little bit better. In exactly eight days on Monday the 12th, the pitchers and catchers for the Mets and Pirates report to spring training. Most teams report on the 13th while a few stragglers open up on the 14th. That right there should give every baseball fan something to look forward to. And if you are one of the impatient ones just consider this for a moment: Opening Day has been moved up to late March-Thursday, March 29, to be exact-making it the earliest season opener in baseball history (leaving aside seasons with international openers in Japan or Australia). And if you're wondering when opening day is for your favorite squad the answer is also March 29th. That's because every major league team opens up on the same day this year. Here we go!

...About two weeks ago I read a story about a twelve-year-old girl named Gabriella Green who lived in Panama City Beach, Florida. This girl was cyber bullied and harassed so much that she committed suicide and hung herself in her closet with a dog leash. Two children were arrested for the cyberbullying that lead to this little girl's death and some of the things they told this girl was not pretty. They found out that one of the suspects had started rumors about Green in person, and online. The rumors were that Green had sexually transmitted diseases and she constantly called her vulgar names and then threatened to 'expose' personal and sensitive details her life. Text messages, phone calls and in-your-face confrontations slowly built up around this girl that made her think that the only way out was to take her life. Again, she was only twelve. So were the kids that were arrested. They'll get off if they cry and say they were sorry when their lawyers tell them too but then again that may prove to be tough because the girl's family has hired Jose Baez to represent them ahead of a possible civil suit. Baez is the same guy who defended Casey Anthony and Aaron Hernandez. This will be the first case that I hope this guy wins. Nearly 43% of kids have been cyber bullied. Why so much? Because I believe that kids know how to be sneaky. I say this because the girl's mother said while the arrests "were gratifying," she blames parents and the school system. Maybe. But if these kids have their heart set on going after someone and giving them hell nothing is going to stop them. And nothing did. I hope these two kids pay dearly.

...The line forms to the left, Dept: It seems that every day there is another woman who comes forward accusing a celebrity of some kind of sexual harassment or misconduct. While I believe that some of these stories may be true I don't consider that they all are and that right there is the root of the entire problem. We just don't know which ones to give credence to. If you will, look at it like this.  Of all the times you have seen or read the news have you always accepted everything you have just learned without question? Not a lot I'd say. No one does because mistakes are made and stories change all the time. So why take all these women at their word when they come out in front of the cameras with a tissue in their hand crying about something that happened decades ago? That's what happened to actor Michael Douglas when he was informed in late December of last year that a woman who worked for him all those years ago has come forward and accused him of using colorful language in front of her and masturbating in front of her. To his credit Douglas did not hide from reporters when he was asked about this because he had nothing to hide. That's all well and good but as soon as a woman opens her mouth to accuse you of something like this you're guilty in many people's minds, damned the facts as they may be. Over thirty years and this woman doesn't say one word about this but as soon as she sees others come forward getting their fifteen minutes of self pity with the spotlight on them she couldn't start talking fast enough. This is the reason why I don't believe everything about Bill Cosby. From as far back as the 1960's women who have know Cosby have accused him of just about anything inappropriate you can think of. Why now and why all of them at once? Why wait all this time and not report a crime like this after it happens if indeed it did happen? And I'm not talking about doctor Larry Nassar here. He's had his day in court and it was proven that he did molest all those female Olympic athletes. A lot of what is facing these men as they go forward are nothing but accusations and slander.

I only bring up Cosby because his story has been out there longer than the others and accountable or not his career is done. No networks, no advertisers, no one wants to collaborate with him and it is all because he might have done it. That's what many of these actors, athletes and public figures are now facing. Someone said you did it so that means you did. End of story.

All of this reminds me of an article I once read about Wayne Gretzky. One of his close friends was being interviewed about him and he said that Gretzky will not allow himself to be in a room with a woman without someone else there and he won't even get in an elevator with a woman alone without having someone else with him.  As I read this many years ago my first thought was that he was being overly cautious. But not now. It seems that Gretzky was on to something.

...Last Thursday a twelve-year-old girl brought a loaded semiautomatic handgun into her middle school that she claims she thought was a fake gun. This fake gun had real bullets in it and it ended up injuring five people, including one boy who was shot in the temple by one of them. Luckily for him he is expected to make a full recovery, which is a miracle. What's even more of a miracle is that the police believe this all was an accident. Really? How? In what way? Schools are super-sensitive these days about any kind of violence both real and perceived so taking that into consideration how does anyone "accidentally" bring a gun to school even if they believed it to be a fake one? And how do you accidentally shoot four times at four different kids? At least the police did one thing right. They arrested her and brought her to the L.A. County Central Juvenile Hall for the negligent discharge of a firearm and is being held without bail. Of course, considering it was an accident she's probably already home by now.

...Last week a new reality show premiered on the Fusion Network called Big Papi needs a job. Now that he's retired from baseball David Ortiz needs to get a new job because having tens of millions of dollars in the bank just does not go as far as it used to. As I said it's on the Fusion Network but I'll be damned if I can find that anywhere on my Playstation Vue account. Up to a couple of days ago I never even heard of it. But since Ortiz is intent on finding gainful employment I thought I'd help him out with these suggestions so that maybe he can begin to receive a regular paycheck again.

1. He can get a job at the Everglades Alligator farm down in Florida. They have over 2,000 alligators there and he can be in charge of feeding every one of them as he goes out on the water with his motorboat so he can feed them as fast as he can before the food or the gas runs out.

2. Police academies are hiring people for top dollar as test subjects to teach the new recruits the differences between a stun gun and a taser when used on a live subject. Four or five times being jolted by these things Ortiz can clear five grand easy.

3. The Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Circus may be gone now but clowns are still in high demand in bull riding competitions in rodeos across the country. Papi can dress as a clown and run out there to protect the riders when they are thrown from the bull. These clowns must have speed and agility and Ortiz has neither of these qualities. But at least he's a clown.

4. He can get a job at the San Diego Zoo picking up after animals like the elephants, zebras and lions after they answer the call of nature. This zoo is one of the best ones in the United States and is well known for its 3,700 animals of more than 650 species and subspecies. So with all those animals around his shovel will always be moving. This job may be perfect for him. For his entire career all this guy did was talk shit. Now he'll get to pick it up.