Total Classics Best of the 80s & 90s

Jim825

File Name: Total Classics Best of the 80s & 90s

File Submitter: Jim825

File Submitted: 28 Sep 2009

File Category: Total Conversion Mods

Version: 1.0

The Total Classics Best of the 80's and 90's mod brings together some of the best teams of the 1980's and 90's for dynasty play. Each major league team has a 1980's or 90's team selected from Total Classics Phase 10 or a newly created team.

The following teams are included:

AL East

1983 Baltimore Orioles

1986 Boston Red Sox

1992 Toronto Blue Jays

1998 New York Yankees

1998 Tampa Bay Devil Rays -- NEW TEAM

AL Central

1983 Chicago White Sox

1984 Detroit Tigers

1985 Kansas City Royals -- NEW TEAM

1991 Minnesota Twins

1999 Cleveland Indians

AL West

1986 California Angels

1990 Oakland A's

1996 Texas Rangers

1997 Seattle Mariners

NL East

1986 New York Mets

1993 Atlanta Braves

1993 Philadelphia Phillies

1994 Montreal Expos

1997 Florida Marlins

NL Central

1980 Houston Astros

1982 Milwaukee Brewers

1987 St. Louis Cardinals

1989 Chicago Cubs

1990 Cincinnati Reds

1991 Pittsburgh Pirates

NL West

1988 Los Angeles Dodgers

1989 San Francisco Giants

1995 Colorado Rockies

1998 San Diego Padres

2001 Arizona Diamondbacks

-------------------------------------------

*** VERSION HISTORY ***

v1.0

Initial release

Click here to download this file

Bout time, it's been like a month since the last TC release.

This was done weeks ago. I've been waiting for you to release another version of Fenway Park. I got tired of waiting for you to get your butt in gear, so I decided to release what I had...... ^_^

Just kidding....... ;)

This was done weeks ago. I've been waiting for you to release another version of Fenway Park. I got tired of waiting for you to get your butt in gear, so I decided to release what I had...... ^_^

Just kidding....... ;)

Oh man, MVP 2005 would asplode into a million pieces if it even knew about my Fenway model. It makes the poly count in Yankee Stadium look like AA 1.

This.Is.Awesome.

Started an 87 StL Dynasty, but forgot to install patch #5. Redo.

Another donation heading to the website. Just awesome.

Does anyone know if there is a way to import the 80s/90s teams into MVP08, as to have the current unis, etc and everything that 08 has (replacing the stads manually, as desired)? If it cannot be done directly, a work around could be using tywiggins import/export program to load the 80s/90s roster into a newly created dynasty. I would imagine the issue would be the portraits/faces, right? Would the faces be able to be imnstalled if MVPEdit were used to match up the face/audio numbers with the files? (Could the portrait/faces files just be copied into the same main folder that the 80s/90s roster was placed into?) Just thinking of a way of having the 80s/90s roster, audio, faces, and portraits put into the MVP08 mod, mixing "old and new" so to speak.

Would one be able to import any unis into the 87 total conv mod, or would that create crash issues?

I apologize in advance if these questions do not belong here.

Again, simply aesome. Jose Cruz is gold.

This.Is.Awesome.

Started an 87 StL Dynasty, but forgot to install patch #5. Redo.

Another donation heading to the website. Just awesome.

Does anyone know if there is a way to import the 80s/90s teams into MVP08, as to have the current unis, etc and everything that 08 has (replacing the stads manually, as desired)? If it cannot be done directly, a work around could be using tywiggins import/export program to load the 80s/90s roster into a newly created dynasty. I would imagine the issue would be the portraits/faces, right? Would the faces be able to be imnstalled if MVPEdit were used to match up the face/audio numbers with the files? (Could the portrait/faces files just be copied into the same main folder that the 80s/90s roster was placed into?) Just thinking of a way of having the 80s/90s roster, audio, faces, and portraits put into the MVP08 mod, mixing "old and new" so to speak.

Would one be able to import any unis into the 87 total conv mod, or would that create crash issues?

I apologize in advance if these questions do not belong here.

Again, simply aesome. Jose Cruz is gold.

You would have been fine without patch #5. I never installed anything past patch #2.

Everything you ask for could be done --- It would just be grunt work to incorporate everything into MVP08.

The roster files can simply be copied into the data \ database folder, as long as you don't care about the minor league rosters that were in MVP08. If you don't care about the MVP08 portraits, you can copy the 80s/90s portrait.big file to the data\frontend folder. If that is not the case then you would need to extract the 80s/90s portraits from the 80s/90s portrait.big file and then import them into the MVP08 portrait.big file.

Since you want to keep the MVP08 uniforms (which are in the data\models.big file), you will need to extract the faces from the 80s/90s models.big file and then import them into the MVP08 models.big file. As you mentioned, you can use MVPEdit to find the face numbers, or you can use a trick that I use to find all of the face numbers in a mod.

What I do is take the attrib.dat roster file, make a new copy, and name it attrib.csv. Next, open up the attrib.csv file with Microsoft Excel and then find the column that contains the face numbers (you will see numbers from 1 - 915). Sort the data using this column and then all of the faces less than 901 are the ones you want.

For the audio, you will want to grab the following files:

For PA audio:

data\audio\spch_pa\pnamehdr.big (player name header file)

data\audio\cd\spch_pa\pnamedat.big (player name data file)

For Play by Play audio:

data\audio\spch_pbp\pnamehdr.big (player name header file)

data\audio\spch_pbp\tnamehdr.big (team name header file)

data\audio\cd\spch_pbp\pnamedat.big (player name data file)

data\audio\cd\spch_pbp\tnamedat.big (team name data file)

Again, this assumes that you only want the 80s/90s audio and do not care about the MVP08 audio. If you do want to keep the MVP08 audio and want to import the 80s/90s audio, then that is beyond my knowledge and someone else will have to tell you how to do this.

There are are two more audio files that I did not mention:

data\audio\spch_pbp\stdnmhdr.big (team name header file)

data\audio\cd\spch_pbp\stdnmdat.big (player name data file)

These are the stadium name audio files. If you are just planning to use the MVP08 stadiums then you won't want these files. If you are going to use some of the 80s/90s stadiums that are not in MVP08, then you would need to pull out the particular stadium audios from these files and then import them into the MVP08 stadium audio files.

One thing you forgot to mention is the in-game text (i.e. the text that shows team names, stadium names, etc.). You would have to edit the MVP08 data\FEENG.LOC and data\IGENG.LOC files to have the same names as those used in the 80s/90s FEENG.LOC and IGENG.LOC files.

As for your TC1988 question, you can import any of the 80s/90s uniforms into the mod. You'd need to extract the desired files from the 80s/90s models.big file and then import them into the TC1988 models.big file. The uniform preview screens are in the data\frontend\uniforms.big file. You'd need to extract the appropriate files from the 80s/90s uniforms.big file and import them into the TC1988 uniforms.big file.

This was a long response, but it shows that while what you ask could be done, it is not something that could be done quickly, especially if you havent done this type of work before. It's not hard work, just time consuming.

Holy crap, Jim. I had nowhere near the expectations of such a quality response. I greatly appreciate the time you took to write that.

What I did was make a copy of MVP08 and renamed the folder"Best809008". My clean 80's.90's install is Best 809005".

So basically what I was wanting to be able to do was take the roster, portraits, audio, and faces from "the 05 version" and put them into "the 08 version" (I don't care about any of the MLB08 player stuff in this copied version ... it can all be replaced). I have installed a lot of mods that I have pieced together (datafiles, uniforms from various sources, etc) and didn't want to go through that whole process again, as I have '08 set up 'exactly' how I want it.

By being able to combine the 80s/90s mod with the "other best things" I have in MVP08, I could have my cake and eat it to ... and IMO, that's kind of the point of modding and a community ... you can have (or make) everything your heart desires.

Roster and portraits being a simple C&P is actually easier than I thought it might be. The cyberface stuff is going to be a minor PITA, especially since one number being off can cause Crash City. But, it also may not take 'that' long.

I've never dealt with audio files before, but am confident that I can do that. I don't need to replace logos, team names, etc because I will still be using the same teams, and will just use the current logos and team names. I have done similar things to what you describe when I made the USBL fictional league and changed all of the teams names, logos, unis, text, abb, etc.

Once again, Jim. I really appreciate it. I was concerned about asking the question, as I did not kow how they would be interpreted. My concern is that I would sound ungrateful. The 80s are, by far, my favorite era and being able to play this dynasty (87 cards) with all my "dream mods" in MVP08 is about as good as it gets for me and MVP. I'm very thankful for both the mod and all of the detailed advice on how to do what I wanted.

Glad to help. I didn't take your questions as being ungrateful at all. You asked "Can this be done...." rather than "How come you didn't....." Those come off as two completely different points of view; one being a question and the other being a criticism.

The cyberfaces shouldn't be too hard, especially if you use the Excel method I mentioned. Once you have your list of faces, simply extract them all at once with BigGUI and then install them into the models.big file with TiT or InstallerThingy. If you turn on the "View Faces" option in MVPEdit, you can quickly go through your rosters one team at a time to confirm that all of the players have faces.

If you have any other questions or problems while making the changes, feel free to contact me, either in the forums or by PM.

Just wondering the reason for putting the 2001 Arizona Diamondbacks when the mod is title 80s & 90s? ;)

Being a Yankees fans would love to see a 1999 Yankees roster team. I am missing that team to motivate to mod again.

I was waiting for someone to notice that. Basically, I was trying to use as many of the TC10 teams as possible to get the mod out quicker. 27 of the 30 major league teams had at least one representative team from the 80's or 90's in TC10. The exceptions were the Royals (the '77 team is in TC10), the Diamondbacks (the 2001 team is in TC10) and the Devil Rays (no team is in TC10).

We used the '77 Royals in the TC Best of the 70s & 80's mod, so I decided to create the '85 Royals. For the Devil Rays, I decided to create the '98 team (their inaugural year). Part of the reason for this was that EA included their uniforms in MVP05 so it was one less thing I had to worry about.

I could have created either a '98 or '98 Diamondbacks team but figured that I could get away with using the 2001 team since it was close enough to the 90's and they were already in TC10. It saved me the work of having to create a new roster, 25 portraits, logos, etc. On top of that, the 2001 team was a World Series winning team so they deserved to be include with the "Best" teams.

I could have called the mod "Total Classics Best of the 80s & 90s plus the 2001 Diamondbacks who technically weren't part of the 80s or 90s but were still a really good team", but decided that would be too long of a name, so I settled on "Total Classics Best of the 80s & 90s." ^_^

As for the '99 Yankees, TC10 has both the '98 and 2000 Yankees, so they are pretty close to the 1999 team.

I could have created either a '98 or '98 Diamondbacks team but figured that I could get away with using the 2001 team since it was close enough to the 90's and they were already in TC10. On top of that, the 2001 team was a World Series winning team so they deserved to be include with the "Best" teams.

True true, but in my humble opinion, the 1995 Braves can be in this mod. Yes the 1993 braves is close to their early year team but if one want all the key members the 1996 braves contain all the key member include the late 90's like A.Jones, JDye etc.. Even Dave justice was on the roster despite not playing. But I would use the 1995 team simply because is the only championship the braves won in the 90's.

True true, but in my humble opinion, the 1995 Braves can be in this mod. Yes the 1993 braves is close to their early year team but if one want all the key members the 1996 braves contain all the key member include the late 90's like A.Jones, JDye etc.. Even Dave justice was on the roster despite not playing. But I would use the 1995 team simply because is the only championship the braves won in the 90's.

You're right, the '95 Braves do deserve to be in the mod, but like I said, my intent was to use as many of the TC10 teams as possible in order to have something that could be released quickly. I'm already thinking about the next next single season mod I want to work on, and had remembered that someone asked me a while ago if an 80s / 90s mod was possible. I figured that if it wouldn't take too long to create, I could crank it out now rather than waiting until later. Plus, it was a good break from single season modding, which usually takes me about 3-5 months to create a completed mod.

I just released TC1946 last month and was able to throw together and release this new mod in less than 5 weeks. For an investment of only 5 weeks, I'm satisfied with the end product (and it appears that others are as well).

Since you want to keep the MVP08 uniforms (which are in the data\models.big file), you will need to extract the faces from the 80s/90s models.big file and then import them into the MVP08 models.big file. As you mentioned, you can use MVPEdit to find the face numbers, or you can use a trick that I use to find all of the face numbers in a mod.

I have another question ... since, I'm looking at time-efficiency on this as well. Could I copy the models.big file from the 05v and paste it in the 08v, and then use TiT to install all the uniforms I want? Or will the 05 models.big file limit me to just 2 jerseys (home/away) per team? (Note: Last night I TiT'd a uniform set into the 80s/90s mod and it did update the jerseys, but only two were available (per team).

Is there a way to "open up" all of the possible uniform slots?

If I did not need to mess with the cyberface stuff, this would/could be done quickly. Not that I am looking to do it all quick and dirty, but if two paths get you to the same point, with the same quality ... I'll take the path that requires the least time investment.

To have all of the uniform slots available, you need a profile that has everything unlocked (classic stadiums, uniforms, etc.).

The reason that only two uniforms showed up is that I modified the uniforms.big file so that only the "a" (home) and "b" (away) .fsh files are contained in the file for each uniform. I did this so that only these two uniform select screens show up on the uniform select screens. No matter how many uniforms you install in the models.big file, you will only be able to select the home and away jerseys.

I think that if you use the 80s/90s models.big file and use the MVP08 uniforms.big file, it would work -- sort of. You would have all of the slots back in the uniforms.big file, however, they would not match the uniforms that are in the models.big file. This won't be a problem if you are replacing the uniforms anyway. You would also have all of the cyberfaces already in the models.big file.

If you wanted to keep the 80s/90s uniforms, then you'd need to extract the "main" .fsh files from the 80s/90s uniforms.big file (000.fsh, 001.fsh, 002.fsh, etc.) and then import them into the MVP08 uniforms.big file before you added any new uniforms. This wouldn't be that hard to do.

I'd just like to say thanks for the Mod update, it looks and plays amazing, I recently had my cpu crash and lost all my mods , just wanted to know where I could find the 94 mod. I would appreciate the help. THANKS

I'd just like to say thanks for the Mod update, it looks and plays amazing, I recently had my cpu crash and lost all my mods , just wanted to know where I could find the 94 mod. I would appreciate the help. THANKS

That (wonderful) Total Classic Mod can be found here at EAMods.com

You have to be a member there to download it. As well, a general rule is if you can't find it at MVPMods, it's usually at EAMods.

Have fun reliving the 1994 year.

Jim,

How did you decide among the following teams?

[1] 80 and 93 PHL.

[2] 88, 89, or 90 OAK.

[3] 82, 85, 87 StL.

[4] 93 or 95 ATL.

[5] 80 or 86 HOU.

No complaints, as there isn't a bad choice among them.

My thoughts are simply ....

- The 1980 Phils would allow for both Pete Rose and Mike Schmidt (the era's best player) to be in the collection. Lefty would also be there. And really, what's a game without Bake McBride? *grin*

- Tudor's 1.95 ERA season would be in (1985) ... that's just personal selfishness.

- THe 89 A's won the WS (could replay the earthquake series), as did the 95 Braves.

- The 86 'Stros had both Mike Scott and Nolan (and Bob Knepper, one of my fav lefties).

I'm curious as to whether the goal was to have teams from different years, or a balance between 80s and 90s teams, etc. This is my fav era, so I'm curious and I like to talk about it.

I'm 4 games in, and having a blast. Thanks for this mod.

Archived