2011 Rosters

SESbb30

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we could use all the help we can get.

Should I start tackling the AL West? Also, how are we going to avoid possible clone players? That is, if I happen to bring someone up from a AA team and you import to that organization, he may still be on your AA team.

who sent me the brewers.met, if i didnt make changes to the brewers, and you did, wouldnt that erase any players that were on the brewers in the first place on my end?

I did.

Well, it depends upon how you import the team. If you choose "add" then it will merely pile the new players on top of the old, creating duplicates in some cases. If you choose "replace," it will wipe out the former team and only the newly imported players will appear. I recommend you keep several versions of the rosters, including a "master" file which you only change when you finalize team rosters with player ratings. MVPEdit has an annoying habit of saving your changes as you make them, with no undo button . . .

BTW, here is the Brewers team file (.met for MVPEdit) for those of you who would like to playtest it and give me feedback.

EDIT: fixed Zach Grienke's slider, gave him a 2-seam fastball

~Chris

MIL.zip

In case you guys need/want them:

2010 Speed Ratings.

No offense Dylan, but I think I'll pass. While your Pitching, Batting, and Defensive calculators have a certain amount of usefulness, I fail to see the value in these speed calculations. Carlos Gomez, for instance, is widely considered the fastest guy in baseball . . . but he's only given a rating of 85??? Sadly, I don't think there's any possible way to generate an accurate speed rating from the stats. While players like Gomez are insanely quick, they may simply be being reigned in by overcautious managers (former Brewer's manager Ken Macha).

Keep up the good work though! You're efforts in helping to keep the MVP community alive are admirable, and I love your calculators!

~Chris

No offense Dylan, but I think I'll pass. While your Pitching, Batting, and Defensive calculators have a certain amount of usefulness, I fail to see the value in these speed calculations. Carlos Gomez, for instance, is widely considered the fastest guy in baseball . . . but he's only given a rating of 85???

Surely, good judgement could be applied in special cases (i.e. known players, typically at the MLB and AAA level). But, DylanBradbury's Speed Calculator will be especially useful for the AA and A levels (for those players we have never seen and/or never heard of).

No offense Dylan, but I think I'll pass. While your Pitching, Batting, and Defensive calculators have a certain amount of usefulness, I fail to see the value in these speed calculations. Carlos Gomez, for instance, is widely considered the fastest guy in baseball . . . but he's only given a rating of 85??? Sadly, I don't think there's any possible way to generate an accurate speed rating from the stats.

Keep up the good work though! You're efforts in helping to keep the MVP community alive are admirable, and I love your calculators!

~Chris

I actually think my speed formula is the most accurate out of all my formulae. 85 is a pretty high rating, considering he only played 97 games last year, he only had 18 steals, and he's being graded on a curve. (That is, a 100 or 0 ratings are a lot hard to earn than ratings between the two.)

Also, in 2008 his speed rating was 98.

I don't know if you guys realize this or not, but my batting calculator uses my speed formula to calculate speed ratings.

(Also, I'm glad you like my calculators, but I'm done working on them.)

Should I start tackling the AL West? Also, how are we going to avoid possible clone players? That is, if I happen to bring someone up from a AA team and you import to that organization, he may still be on your AA team.

Clones may be a problem, but I think we can avoid that once every division has a caretaker to keep track of transactions. In other words, each team/division will have someone to take care of incoming and outgoing players. Also, check out this handy dandy site:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/transactions/#month=2&year=2011

It will help us keep track of who to move where, though we'll have to coordinate up until we release the rosters.

Hey SESBB: I think you should put a note next to teams/divisions so that everyone knows which teams/division are being worked on and by whom. Here they are so far as best I can tell:

NL Central (all MLB and minor league teams): chrisgooverthere

AL Central : rroy

NL East : SESBB

AL West: daflyboys

BTW, this is great . . . if we can all follow through with our respective divisions, it will leave only 2 divisions and minor leagues left to do . . . easy as pie to finish by opening day!

~Chris

do you guys know a good site for line ups, or are you just going by what you think.

While getting the starting 9 from depth charts may be easy, figuring out the lineups can be a b---h, especially at thise time of year when managers like to toy with reporters by thinking out loud. I'm actually a disciple of Athlon's yearly baseball preview magazine. It sacrifices fantasy insight for much better research and information into each team's 25 man roster. I highly recommend it: they are about 90% accurate with all 25 man rosters, lineups, bench, rotations, and bullpens.

~Chris

Last question, and I know I'm asking a lot, but for hurt guys that will be on the roster when they are back, are you putting them in AAA or on the Majors team?

Depends how long they'll be hurt. If they'll be out for more than a month, yea, I'll brobably shift them down to a minor league team. This will provide the gamer the ability to keep the player, but off of the MLB team.

~Chris

of chris, i didnt really want to give heyward a cold spot against right handers, hes got them against lefties, hes WAY worse against left handers.

eh, it was just a suggestion. After all, if you volunteered to edit the NL East, then you probably know way more about it than I do, and I will certainly not question your right to have the final word. I've noticed that the hot/cold zone splits don't make too much of a difference anyway, except they might change the perceptions of the batter vs. pitcher and vice vursa. In that sense, yea, Heyward is probably confident against RHPs, and they probably hate facing him . . . much like the big papi of 5 years ago.

Something that scares me about my playtest though: you know how MVP gives you team ratings of 1-30 in the catagories of pitching, batting, fielding, and running? Well, after editing the Brewers, they came up #1 in pitching and #3 in batting. This is compared against 28 teams that have not been updated since mid 2010 of course, so it will probably change. Still, given my confidence in my ratings, I'm anxious to see how the PC rates the Brewers against teams with probably better pitching staffs (Phillies, Giants), and better offensive lineups (Red Sox, Yankees, Reds?). Still, we'll have to see once the other teams are done being edited.

As a side note, what teams do you guys think will have the best pitching staffs this year? What about lineups and offensive power?

I think the Phillies and Giants will have ridiculously good ERAs, thought he Phillies bulpenn might prove to be a weakness. Offensively, the Reds are really scary, and the Red Sox and Yankees pose their usual perennial threats, but if the Cards stay productive and healthy, they may be the most devastating team of all. Holliday, Rasmus, Berkman, Freese, Theriot, Schumaker, Pujols, and YadyMolina? Yikes . . . there's potential for 160+ homeruns in that group.

~Chris

Guys, I'm sorry but I am not going to be able to work on this. I am just not going to have enough free time to be able to do it. SESbb I am very sorry because I thought I would have the time but unfortunately I will not. I don't like to start things and not finish, but I'm not going to be able to.

Guys, I'm sorry but I am not going to be able to work on this. I am just not going to have enough free time to be able to do it. SESbb I am very sorry because I thought I would have the time but unfortunately I will not. I don't like to start things and not finish, but I'm not going to be able to.

No worries Roy, thanks for letting us know. Anyone else willing to work on the AL central?

BTW, as long as we're doing rosters, I wonder if KG is still around and will to pitch in . . .

also BTW, who is capable of doing a schedule????

~Chris

No worries Roy, thanks for letting us know. Anyone else willing to work on the AL central?

BTW, as long as we're doing rosters, I wonder if KG is still around and will to pitch in . . .

also BTW, who is capable of doing a schedule????

~Chris

I am:

http://www.mvpmods.c...ndpost&p=617494

http://www.mvpmods.c...ndpost&p=617420

http://www.mvpmods.com/index.php?showtopic=45265&view=findpost&p=616890

Archived