2011 Rosters

SESbb30

Chris/Ryan,

I have added a pdf of "MVPEdit" formatted stats to make data entry "easier". These were compiled into a database I created for this sole purpose.

I suggest having all players with no ML stats to be zeroed out (no stats at all). After I get the AL East done (ML) I can focus on getting ML stats in place. Ratings I am not great at, data entry I am. :-)

With that said if we could name our .met files as STATRDY (at this point it shouldn't be edited again until i return it to FTP as STATCMP) when posted on FTP, I can grab them and enter stats. So a .met file would look like this on the server.

Red Sox_statrdy.met

Let me know your thoughts.

Sounds good to me! I will post all of my completed teams with "-statrdy" as the ending when I feel the roster is settled enough for your to edit. I won't bother zeroing out the stats though . . . can't stand doing things that I find tedious and pointless. Thanks for doing this Playball! I realize this involves a huge time investment.

Just a quick question so I don't run into any possible roster errors after I finish A LOT of work ... since we're united in working off of HighHeat's roster, his was the one that was the project that converted 2K10 rosters to MVP?

I'm going into older roster versions I have to recreate a few players who got hurt last year (Strasburg, David Freese) and a couple rookies who got unexplainably skipped in the version that was posted on here a few posts ago (Dan Johnson, Chris Johnson, some top prospects from a couple teams), and am realizing I have a handful of other roster versions I'm pulling from.

I thought Ryan already replied to you Jaxen??!! Much of the work you have done has been rendered superfluous by the work done by Ryan or myself, and to the best of my knowledge we have not received any files from you anyway. If you want to be in on this project you need to coordinate with Ryan so that each of us works on separate rosters.

We'd love to have your help, but not if you are unwilling to organize and coordinate.

To answer your qeustion: yes, our base roster is HiHeat's 2K10 to MVP, since it has fairly recent rosters and pretty good facepacks.

~Chris

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I apologize for being off on my own page thus far. I do want to help, it's just I don't know what a .met file is and you folks speak of an FTP site. I've dealt with nothing but .mbe's.

Sorry to bother you kids, I'll let you do your work. If I could delete this post I would. Nothing to see here...

I apologize for being off on my own page thus far. I do want to help, it's just I don't know what a .met file is and you folks speak of an FTP site. I've dealt with nothing but .mbe's.

Sorry to bother you kids, I'll let you do your work. If I could delete this post I would. Nothing to see here...

Hey Jaxen,

I saw your post before you edited it. While SESBB (Ryan), Playbal, and myself have the MLB rosters pretty well covered, I wouldn't mind having your expertise, to whatever degree it is, helping me with the Astros' minor league system. Additionally, we can always use another playtester. Let me know if you're interested, and I'll be in touch.

~Chris

ok, mvpedit let me import the teams, and it imported into my game just fine, everything looks good so far, except the brewers, chris you gotta fix that man, theres no way they have the best pitching, and theres not way they would be close to first overall. im not pissed, im just sayin it needs to be fixed. :)

yea, the problem is that I did them first, so that I had no barometer to compare them against. I have already taken a few adjustment notes. Playball, would you like me to adjust the Brewers before or after you do their stats?

Just realize that the main flaw in the Brewers last year was their starting pitching: Outside of Yovanni Gallardo and Randy Wolf, their starting pitching suffered horrible seasons for Jeff Suppan, Chris Narveson, Manny Parra, and Dave Bush. When you replace extremely poor players like these with very good players with the likes of Zack Grienke and Shawn Marcum, yea, it makes a huge difference: if you fix the one major flaw in the team, what is their that separates them from the top echelon of baseball teams? While the Phillies have the best pitching staff on paper, the Brewers will not be far behind.

Another key to fixing the MLB ratings for the pitching rosters is comparison: I think you should give Cliff Lee and Roy Oswalt slightly better ratings on their pitches . .. currently they don't have even one 90+ rated pitch between the two of them, whereas most people would put those pitchers just a tick below the dominance of Halladay.

OK, and just so we're clear here: we all have favorite teams, and we'll have to take responsibility for toning down each other's biases. You guys have figured out by now that I favor the brewers, so what are your favorite team(s)?

~Chris

i have to be honest right now guys, whether you like it or not, i am going to go through all the MLB, AAA, and major prospects at the end of this and adjust stats to the way i see fit. like greinke throwing 97, ive only seen him hit that a handful of times in 4 years, just little things like that are pissing me off for some reason, its not you guys, i guess im just really anal about things like that.

The ratings are all yours! I have already stated I am no expert at them. Once I finish the AL East I will begin entering the 2010 stats for the teams you guys have posted to FTP as "stat ready".

I think once they are posted as stat ready they should not be altered until I have entered the stats. This way we won't cross paths, file-wise.

Like I said previously, the problem with different people arbitrarily entering ratings is the "balance" of the roster set. This is why originally I though the calculators would be used to generate ratings, this way there would be balance. As long as you guys don't mind handling the rating, go for it! :crazy:

I've playtested Grienke several times and he's never thrown a fastball of 95. Thats why I inserted the "extremes" into my ratings, so that way he has the ability to throw a 97 mph fastball, but he probably won't.

Also if you're going to go through everything and adjust it the way you see fit, then what's the point of me even helping out? The whole idea is that I'm helping you out, and that we playtest the rosters to iron out the inconsistencies and biases along the way. If you'd rather have me do the legwork where you just arbitrarily change stuff afterwards, fine . . . just don't expect me to put a whole lot of effort into getting stuff right. After all, if you're a baseball know-it-all, then I'm probably doing more harm than good when I adjust the ratings.

It bothers me that you have so little patience in our rosters even though we still have plenty of time to iron everything out to a medium that everyone agrees with. I understood that we were each sticking to our areas of expertise, and that we'd playtest and edit the rosters until they seem fair. Tell me: if you're just going to go through everything later on and change it arbitrarily, then why am I even bothering to help you out? I hate to sound like a whiner, but I'm not at all thrilled that I've already invested so much time in these rosters just to find out that all of my work is subject to changes without even consulting me.

~Chris

I agree with Chris. Ryan, if you are going to go through the ratings "in the end" and change what you see fit, then don't have Chris and I working on ratings at all as it is just a waste of time, that can be utilized somewhere else.

I can focus on the stats and Chris can focus on getting the roster accurate (or whatever he feels comfortable with), if he wishes.

Like both of you I have already invested a lot of time on this and don't want all my time (which being a single parent is tough to find) to have this all go for not.

Lets stay on target and get this thing done. Keep in mind it doesn't have to have an Opening Day timetable. We are not being paid to do a job, we are doing this because we love the game and want to update for the use of all that still do.

My 2 cents FWIW.

~Travis

I agree with Chris. Ryan, if you are going to go through the ratings "in the end" and change what you see fit, then don't have Chris and I working on ratings at all as it is just a waste of time, that can be utilized somewhere else.

I can focus on the stats and Chris can focus on getting the roster accurate (or whatever he feels comfortable with), if he wishes.

Like both of you I have already invested a lot of time on this and don't want all my time (which being a single parent is tough to find) to have this all go for not.

Lets stay on target and get this thing done. Keep in mind it doesn't have to have an Opening Day timetable. We are not being paid to do a job, we are doing this because we love the game and want to update for the use of all that still do.

My 2 cents FWIW.

~Travis

by stats, you mean, like importing a new lahman database right?

yea, ive had a ton of **** just pile up on me the last week and i guess i just snapped.

I can focus on the stats and Chris can focus on getting the roster accurate (or whatever he feels comfortable with), if he wishes

i think this may be best

by stats, you mean, like importing a new lahman database right?

yea, ive had a ton of **** just pile up on me the last week and i guess i just snapped.

i think this may be best

I import 2009 Lahman data where applicable and manually type in the 2010 stats. You can check prior posts to see exactly what I am entering. :D

OK, I understand how things go. No problem.

Now look, I'm willing to help get all the ratings done, and part of the reason I volunteered for this was because I feel like I know the teams/players pretty well in the divisions I volunteered to edit. If you'd really rather have the rosters reflect only you're perception of stuff, fine. But like I said, we have playtesting to do where we should bounce ideas off of each other and find the right mix. Like I said, if you don't like the way I did the Brewers, fine, we'll fix it, but don't act like you know so much more about the team than I do . . . granted I made mistakes, but I'm not an idiot.

So here's the deal: one of two options:

1) I'll stop doing the ratings, and leave you alone. No offense, but if you'd rather do the ratings all by yourself, then I'd rather not invest more time than I already have. No hard feelings, I'll just forget about it.

2) I can help finish off these ratings and we'll each be receptive to each other's critiques. We'll find a good balance and I'm sure the finished product will be great because of it. Everyone's going to want to tinker with the final version of the rosters once they download it anyway, not just you.

~Chris

cool. I've started a list of all the things that I think should be changed/tinkered. I won't bother forwarding it to you just yet because I'm sure that a) it will grow longer B ) all of the team files are "stat-ready" and we don't want to cross files . . . I'll wait until Playball finishes the stats before I make my recommendations, it wouldn't do to have files cross.

And i'm sure you have plenty of recommendations for teams that I've done the ratings for. Like I said, I realized I'm biased towards the Brewers, so I'll be more than happy to receive your recommendations on them and other teams. I suggest keeping a running list going until playball finishes the stats, but I'll probably edit the Brewers anyway just because I feel so guilty about how good I made them. :facepalm:

We gonna make the best rosters ever! :friends:

~Chris

I'm working on entering stats for teams posted before moving onto my remaining AL East teams. In doing so I have noticed a fair amount of incorrect jersey numbers, please be sure to double-check these before posting.

Thanks guys.

~Travis

as far as jersey #'s i go by what mlb.com has.

Archived